L'Oreal Paris Voluminous Butterfly

Filtered by skin type : Dry
L'Oreal Paris Voluminous Butterfly
Voluminous ButterflyVoluminous ButterflyVoluminous ButterflyBest drugstore mascaraVoluminous Butterfly

3.3

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I don’t like this. I have long lashes, and the mascara does lengthen them greatly but it weighs them down and undoes even the slightest curl. It looks great when I first apply it, but it looks awful after only two hours. It also tends to shed and smear a bit around my eyes. To top it off, it is not cheap either. Just overall not a good product.

Had a hard time figuring out what part of this tapered wand to use where. The mascara was overly liquidy and made my lashes clump. The plain old Voluminous is far better. Will definitely not be buying this one again!

on 5/16/2016 1:53:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I've tried the new Butterfly Sculpt several times and I've decided I like it. I am impressed by the way it works on the lower lashes which is rare for a mascara. It takes a long time to paint the lashes on until they are just right, but the results are worth it.

It has a totally unique plastic brush with one flat side and odd tiny teeth and is supposed to tightline the lashes. I don't try for that but it does build long, dark lashes. I just keep turning the wand to apply and then separate. If you add more than three coats it begins to get that stiff, lacquered look. So if I stop after two coats the results are very similar to the best mascaras. I just don't like the intricate brush design much because you can't just brush it on normally. It's a delicate process and the lashes will start sticking to each other because it dries so fast so you have to keep turning the brush to separate them with the comb before they dry. But if you have the time to invest, it's kind of fun and the results can be very good.

Update: By the way - when I started removing it, I couldn't believe how resistant it was to my usually reliable oil based remover. It just would not come off easily. Then I looked at it and saw I had accidentally bought the waterproof version. I haven't used one of those in so long I forgot what they were like.

Update May 27/16: I've realized that I can't stand the horrible ordeal of removing it. It's not worth it to me. I need a mascara that works and is removable with soap and water or just water. The cleansers - all of them - are too harsh on my skin. Therefore I am not using any of the industrial glue/resin/lacquer mascaras again and going back to the old school normal ones. A mascara this hard on the eyes is not a good idea. There are plenty of mascaras that give stunning length and volume and can be washed off easily.

Update July 14, 2016: because of harsh makeup like this, I now use no eye makeup at all. I don't know if or when I will try makeup again but I have thrown out all of the ones that are weapons on the eyes, like this one. It seriously does not matter if the mascara makes your lashes beautiful, if it hurts you to remove it and it takes weeks to heal the eyelids.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Admittedly, I haven't yet tried the mascara, only the wand. But I really feel I must tell you how much I love it, and why. I will update this review as soon as I buy the mascara and test out the formula, which should be very soon despite the fact that I have too many mascaras right now.

Can a woman ever really have too much makeup? Wait, don't answer that question. :P

Anyhoo, yesterday I was in Walmart and there was this woman there with a small kiosk set up. As soon as I realized it was for L'Oreal, I made a beeline straight to her. Who doesn't love free makeup and coupons?

Apparently, L'Oreal is coming out with a new line of moisturizers that are designed for women in different stages of life, such as 20s, 30s, 40s and so on. This sounds great, and the moisturizer I tried on my hand was decent, but the numbers are awkward, because they're labeled: 25, 35, 45, 55. So it's halfway through each decade of life. This is nothing short of odd, plain and simple. I know I got off on a tangent here, but I wanted to throw that info out there in case someone reading this sees them and has no idea what those random numbers on lotion jars mean.

But back to the mascara. The nice woman gave me the wand to keep, but unfortunately there was no mascara to try with it, so I honestly have no idea how good the formula is yet.

However, I can say with 100% certainty that if you like long, separately defined lashes then you will more than likely adore this wand. As far as I'm concerned, a mascara is only as good as its wand. It could be the most expensive mascara in the world, but if the wand is crappy, fuhgettaboutit.

In this case, the wand is simply wonderful if length, not volume, is what you like. If you use a volumizing mascara first, then layer that with a lengthening mascara (which a lot of makeup artists do), then you might also really love this wand.

For many years I was all about volumizing, preferring that over length, then I started to layer mascaras so I could have the best of both worlds. It wasn't until recently that I realized using a lengthening mascara gives a very clean, simple look that calls attention to the lashes for just being pretty.

Sometimes the star of the show is the eyelashes, and for those occasions I prefer simplicity and length which this wand offers in heaps.

* I know it doesn't matter, but I've never in my life found a mascara that both volumized and lengthened. It seems they're either good for only one or the other, because of the limitations of the wand. But maybe someday that special mascara will be created and we can all weep with joy. Until then, the hunt is on for the perfect blend of mascaras.

on 11/12/2015 3:00:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought this mascara solely based on the intriguing looking wand. What I don't get is why it isn't already in the tube of mascara but there must be a reason as its not the only one to package itself this way. I found the product on the dry side, not a big issue for me as I have deeply hooded eyes and really wet mascara is a mess to clean up on me anyway. The wand works surprisingly well on my hooded downturned eyes and gave them the illusion of lift which was a very pleasant surprise. Staying power was remarkable, and no problem to remove with an eye makeup remover. In fact, I'm surprised just how much product was on my lashes gives the few brush strokes applied. I have tried many different drug store mascaras, this is one of the better ones for me, my lashes looked much longer than with most other formulas so I probably will purchase it again. As for all these claims that a mascara curls your lashes, I have yet to find this to be true in my lifetime. I routinely use an eyelash curler and I don't think that works all that well either.

Update 1/15/2017 - I have downgraded this mascara to 2 lippies out of 5 for the sole reason that it has been flaking and smudging throughout the day. I still love the intense black color, the wand, the staying power, etc. But catching my reflection in the mirror and seeing raccoon eyes is not what I bargained for. And why is this so dang hard to remove? Maybe the formula has changed? In any case, I don't think I will repurchase as I have a couple others that perform without issue.

I bought this in waterproof - because I have been struggling to find a mascara that doesn't smudge/run under the eyes. I watched a review online that said the waterproof worked just as well as the normal.

Pros:
- Love the eyelash shape, makes the outer lashes +++longer - for that butterfly look
- Waterproof staying power is good - no smudging

Cons:
- Harsh waterproof in that I lose a lot of lashes (there are some better waterproof formulas out there that are gentler on lashes)
- By the end of the day the butterfly look is gone, I think the lengthening effect fades over the day

Not bad. But won't repurchase.

on 12/11/2014 12:19:00 AM

I love mascara again! This mascara defines, separates, lengthens, and holds a curl. I have the waterproof formula and it does not budge. I also like the rubbery wand. The shape of the wand is a little gimmicky but it works! The cons of this product are that it doesn't give much volume, but personally for an everyday daytime mascara I prefer length to volume because I think it looks more natural. Also I am having trouble removing it at night, and I've tried Bioderma, Avon eye makeup remover, avocado oil, ... It takes a few passes of the various products before I can get it all off. I need to go out and get a waterproof eye makeup remover specifically for this mascara but it is totally worth it! I also love the silver packaging. Will be repurchasing the non-waterproof version to see if it's still as long-wearing but easier to wash off.

on 11/14/2014 10:13:00 AM

this is a very nice mascara, I love the whole "butterfly" idea I think its so cool lol. anyways this mascara goes on very smooth no clumps and doesnt make my lashe's hard and spidery which I dread...the wand is unique but for me does NOT make application difficult I actually like it for the top lashes for the longer side, then the short bristles work awsome for bottom lashes this lasts all day without smudging or smearing (I don't buy waterproof mascaras that's dumb in my opinion) so yeah I like this mascara a lot and will repurchase. I also got the "midnight black" version, but thats a different review.

on 8/27/2014 10:13:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

I've been using this mascara for a month in hopes I could blame the wet, droopy formula on the newness. While this is good at darkening my lashes, it doesn't add much volume or length. It leaves my lashes heavy and won't hold a curl. It also flakes. Yeesh.

on 8/23/2014 9:06:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

This is such a fun mascara for nightime "va-va-voom" lashes!

Pros:
I have NEVER before used a mascara that gave so much length! Now usually I don't go for lengthening formulas because my lashes are insanely long (thank you Latesse) but every once in a while I want that major falsie look. That's exactly what I get with this stuff. I also really love that you can layer and layer and if it gets clumpy, it combs out very easily, separating lashes with ease. It also goes with your curl and doesn't weigh them down, just emphasizes them. This is one of the best brushes I have ever tried, hands down. Its extremely easy to work with for me and gets every single lash coated and covered. I have really sensitive eyes and this doesn't bug me at all (I did not get the waterproof though and can't speak for that one). It never smeared or flaked, yet washed off really easily.

Cons:
I am not the biggest fan of fibers in mu mascara and if you over-coat or apply too many coats without allowing the previous one to dry, you do/can get those odd little fiber waves at the end of the lashes. I also don't get good volume at all and some lashes do tend to stick together. Again though that is remedied by combing it out. So to get the most out of this mascara you do have to work with it a little, which can be a con to many (although I don't mind).

This is going to become a staple for me - so far I have reached for it whenever I have nighttime events and I get nothing but compliments. I love this stuff!