Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair Synchronized Recovery Complex II

Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair Synchronized Recovery Complex II

3.6

Advanced Night Repair Synchronized Recovery Complex II INGREDIENTS: WATER\AQUA\EAU [] BIFIDA FERMENT LYSATE [] METHYL GLUCETH-20 [] PEG-75 [] BIS-PEG-18 METHYL ETHER DIMETHYL SILANE [] BUTYLENE GLYCOL [] PROPANEDIOL [] COLA ACUMINATA (KOLA) SEED EXTRACT [] HYDROLYZED ALGIN [] PANTETHINE [] CAFFEINE [] LECITHIN [] TRIPEPTIDE-32 [] ETHYLHEXYLGLYCERIN [] SODIUM RNA [] BISABOLOL [] GLYCERETH-26 [] SQUALANE [] SODIUM HYALURONATE [] OLETH-3 PHOSPHATE [] CAPRYLYL GLYCOL [] LACTOBACILLUS FERMENT [] OLETH-3 [] OLETH-5 [] ANTHEMIS NOBILIS (CHAMOMILE) [] YEAST EXTRACT\FAEX\EXTRAIT DE LEVURE [] CHOLETH-24 [] HYDROGENATED LECITHIN [] CETETH-24 [] TOCOPHERYL ACETATE [] ETHYLHEXYL METHOXYCINNAMATE [] HEXYLENE GLYCOL [] CARBOMER [] TRIETHANOLAMINE [] TRISODIUM EDTA [] BHT [] XANTHAN GUM [] PHENOXYETHANOL [] RED 4 (CI 14700) [] YELLOW 5 (CI 19140)

This is one of the first serums I ever purchased after a GWP. It is nice, absorbs well, minimal earthy scent which I didn't notice after a few minutes. I remember it changing my perspective on serums - illuminating the benefits of additional steps.

I splurged at Christmas for the full sized bottle. While this is okay, I know now I won't repurchase. I have found products that leave my skin softer, brighter, more comfortable. I don't know if Estee Lauder has changed in the last few years but my skin definitely has. I have been trying to use this up ever since. Morning and evening. Face, neck, decollete. Alas, it may last all year as I haven't even put a dent in it.

By no means do I see this as a bad product, but DHC is a much better brand. In the last 10 years, I have moved away from Estee Lauder brands almost completely for various reasons including animal testing stances, discontinuing the best products (or re-branding) at a higher price point, and just not being worth the money. Their products are over-rated, overpriced, and consumers have way more quality options available everywhere. Even earthy, natural options at natural food stores or Garden of Wisdom perform better than this so I would opt for one of them before Advanced Night Repair.

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Ohhhhhh god! Finally found my skinsaver - worth the money (i always buy it on sale) LOVE IT

Started with a sample and my skin was changed during the night - i have never felt my skin this way before so I got the 50 ml..magic in a bottle

on 1/9/2017 4:31:00 AM

Worst breakout ever had!!!! Even worst than when I was start to use retin a!!!!! I used it for two weeks and noticed my pores became really clogged. Stopped using it and a nightmare of breakout around my jawline where I never experienced. Now, two months passed, I'm still having angry breakout around the same area. Seems like every pore needs to clean itself by forming a zit.... Now I left with so many red marks and some pit scars :( I will never use anything from this company again after this experience!!!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Ok, so I am a rational, strong and intelligent woman. Not only that, I am also a scientist., Yet, Estee Lauder has been able to fool me many a time recently. I have actually tried this product a couple of years ago, hated and it and returned but somehow I tried again. In my defense I was pretty desperate because my skin reacted to a product and was peeling, dry and angry. So I thought I'd try this due its innocuous ingredient list and the many good reviews.

I honestly struggle to believe that this product has been so popular for so many decades. I read that this serum used to contain retinol. That could explain its success. I cannot imagine why EL would remove the retinol, the only ingredient in the formulation which can repair anything, and still call it "Advanced night repair" and still charge an arm and a leg for it.

So this serum has bifida ferment lysate.... Bifidobacterium is a genus of anaerobic bacteria which is part of the normal intestinal flora, it's part of the so called "good bacteria". In the gut, Bifidobacterium competes with potential pathogens for adhesion sites and "food" sources, thus helping us. It also helps us to break down certain substances. Perhaps on the skin it could compete with Propionibacterium acnes to help us with acne! But it can't. Firstly, it's an anaerobic microorganism, so it can't do anything on the skin because it will die (it doesn't "like" oxygen). Secondly, the serum doesn't contain bacteria but the lysate (you place bacteria into a tube, add a series of reagents, heat it up for 10 minutes, the bacterial cells burst, centrifuge it, you are left with a solution which contains all of the bits of the bacteria). Now, how can bits of dead bacteria help the skin? Ok, it was fermented as well, but don't get too excited because that's what many bacteria do, they ferment sugars to feed themselves. See where this is going? I am not going to swear hand on heart that this ingredient doesn't work, it might do. I am also not saying that there isn't any research on it. I looked briefly on pubmed and couldn't find anything, but I didn't look into it properly. What I am saying is that there is probably a lot more hype around this ingredient that what it deserves. Of course it might well be that this ingredient does many good things to many people, who knows?

On the positive side, the serum doesn't contain silicones which is nice and is fragrance free. The bottle, however, is as pretensions as the name. I mean, a dropper? Does EL think it looks scientific? Maybe it did in the 20s but these days no one uses droppers in labs. They are not accurate at all and they are messy. In fact, the white top came off from the rest of the lid and then my serum wouldn't close.... So the product was exposed to air... I e-mailed EL, they said they'd send me a new one within 7 days but it's been at least a couple of weeks and nothing.

Effects: I used this serum every night for just over two months. As I said my skin was sensitized when I started using it and I must admit it did help get it back on tract. But then this is not miraculous. Skin repairs itself normally, without products. We have a very competent immune system which includes a series of "professional healers". The product might help by soothing, but it won't do the repair itself. And yes, it did help. It made my skin look nicer in the morning (as in more glowy). A month in I was delighted because my monthly gigantic deep chin cyst didn't show... So I thought this was the reason, but unfortunately this month I got a huge throbing one. I think this serum was making my skin dehydrated, though it could be a combination of harsh weather and my oil free moisturiser not cutting it anymore. I had some past breakout marks which look exactly the same as they did. Interestingly, it made little breakouts heal faster but it also seemed to cause me those little breakouts (since they stopped when I stopped using this serum).

Overall, I think this serum is seriously overrated. EL has better products, in my opinion, but of course, every brands needs a "signature product" and I suppose this is theirs. It's not bad by any means but to me it wasn't great. In theory it would be better for people who are trying to prevent signs of aging (without the retinol I don't really think this can correct signs of aging). To be honest, at least EL often use ingredients which have a great potential to work (or have been shown to work). Whereas many brands use random extracts which do absolutely nothing apart from irritating and flaring up the skin. In the big scheme of things, EL products also seem to be quite gentle, especially for the amount of antixiodants they use. I've found brands with a similar load of antioxidants to be harsher (e.g. Paula's Choice, Clinique).

on 1/3/2017 4:03:00 PM

I am saddened to say that this product has become a HG. Why I'm saddened? Because it's such an expensive product. I have used over half of my first bottle (and purchased the next bottle already) now and I was curious if cheaper, different serums would do the trick aswell. So I started using a different one for a week and my skin was more dull and my overall complexion looked kinda older. I went back to ANR and my skin is back to looking better.

The packaging is already. Would have preferred a pump but I like the luxurious the product gives you. Getting product out of the pipette can be a pain in the ass though. That's a downside. And the prize is CRAZY. But it's just so good that it's almost justifiable.

on 12/31/2016 9:14:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've heard of some people who have used it continuously for ten years or more recommend it. And indeed, those women look pretty good. It's such a classic that has been talked about for years and years, so naturally when I started implementing anti-aging products into my routine when I turned 25, this was immediately on my list.

Truthfully, I was not impressed by the texture in the beginning. I had used up a bottle of Lancôme Genifique before and had thought all fancy serum would be like that. ANR is significantly thicker, and more gel like; some people who have oiler skin than mine, claim that this serum absorbs easily and quickly. That is weird, because it takes a while for my skin to absorb, (my skin is super dry,) and it feels quick silicone-y on (because it is). I have gotten used to the application after a month, and I love the scent, so i quite enjoy the application despite. I usually wait for 2-3 minutes for all of my serum products before applying moisturiser anyways, and once this is absorbed, the skin feels very smooth and not heavy at all. (Recently I heard that the color is artificially made though to make it look like something medicine-like. That doesn't sound too good.)

My favourite way to use ANR, is layering after a lighter serum (i wash and tone as well as any other treatment before the serums). ANR alone is not hydrating enough for my super dry skin, hence my method. I have tried Shiseido Ultimune as well as Cosme Decorte Moisture Liposome before ANR, both combinations work very well. Then i finish with my usual night cream.

Sometimes I would even use it in the morning, as i find it to be very much suitable for prepping my skin before makeup, probably because of the silicone-y feel (i only use this one serum + moisturiser + spf in the morning if i do, and all of these steps don't make my face feel heavy). I have used up two bottles so far (50 and 30ml), and while I don't exactly feel or look differently besides moisturized and plumped, I have already purchased backup and will continue using.

This serum is focused on age prevention, because I don't think there is any reverse (using only cosmetics) once the lines show up. I feel like this serum is best suited for those who have not yet experienced any lines. I am horrible at describing products' functions, so i recommend checking out the MUA review about the active ingredients (i think it's one of the most helpful so far?) before doubting whether it's worth it at all, as i know the most popular expensive products usually easily get bashed. The serum makes me feel safe, and i may actually continue using it into my 30s (I'm 26 now).

on 10/29/2016 4:32:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This is a nice serum but not for anyone who's remotely acne prone.

Pros: Fairly light consistency (but not as light as in case of Korean serums). It makes your skin feel deeply moisturised and soft. I'm oily combination but the area around my lips can get really dry. This makes it feel deeply nourished overnight. It also smells really nice and not in an overpowering way. The applicator allows you to dispense just the right amount of product, although I'd prefer a pump as it's much more hygenic.

Cons: It's very comogenic. It just does something to your pores clogging some in one go, others in a course of a few days. My skin was getting more and more congested and when I've discontinued using this serum it just cleared up. Whenever I started using it again the same thig happened. That's pretty much the why I use it only around my lips now.

My advice: There are a lot of Korean serums that work way better than this, are better value for money and do not cause your skin to erupt - try Skin79 Golden Snail Intensive Essence - it has all the pros, none of the cons and is much more affordable.

on 9/12/2016 11:39:00 AM

FAR from being a holy grail for me...
Bought this after reading the overwhelming amount of positive reviews. Ive used this consistently for a month despite it drying my skin out and giving me a duller more sallow appearance since the very first use. That was how desperate I wanted it to work.

I have dry skin with a slightly oily nose, but its not particularly sensitive. Of all the products ( drugstore and branded ones) Ive invested in over the years, this product has given me the worse result. Not only was it making my dry skin drier, it was making my nose oilier...which puzzles me up till now. I never knew that was even possible...

If that wasn't bad enough, I noticed that my eyebags were darker and more sunken in. To rectify that, i applied more of my favourite eye cream and even then it still looked the same.

I understand that some products are just not suitable for some people, but none of the products I've used,even the ones that don't work on me( be it cheap or not) never gave me such problems before.

Still, the fact that its a HG for so many people confuses me. I suggest that one try out a sample size before deciding.

on 9/9/2016 10:40:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I used this product every night until I ran out of it and it made no difference to my skin.

It is an amazing serum, the texture, the fragance and the effect it has on your skin is very good.
I think is a little expensive but it definately works.
The one negative thing i could say, is that i have the feeling it is a very chemical product, it does not feel natural or organic at all.