Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder - Diffused Light

Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder - Diffused Light
Ambient Lighting Powder - Diffused LightAmbient Lighting Powder - Diffused LightAmbient Lighting Powder - Diffused LightAmbient Lighting Powder - Diffused Light

4.2

Mica, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Boron Nitride, Hdi/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Octyldodecanol, Silica, Benzimidazole Diamond Amidoethyl Urea Carbamoyl Propyl Olymethylsilsesquioxane, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Sorbic Acid, Olyacrylamide, Benzoic Acid, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Potassium Sorbate, Dehydroacetic Acid, Laureth-7, Ethylhexylglycerin, Trimethylsiloxysilicate. May Contain : Ci 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), Ci 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride),Ci 77491 (Iron Oxide),Ci 77492 (Iron Oxide), Ci 77499 (Iron Oxide),Ci 75470 (Carmine).

on 6/10/2014 5:56:00 AM

There must be a record amount of these ambient powders sold from the YouTube hype alone - which by the way I was not going to buy into. Then I succumbed in a late night online shopping frenzy and bought one....ok I lie I bought three... and I don't regret it.

These powders are great. Diffused is my most used ambient powder as on my NC15 skin I can use this as a setting/finishing powder all over. This lightly yellow toned powder leaves me looking fresh and smooth skinned. It's not shimmery and sparkly but leaves a more healthy glow. It goes beautifully over so many liquid foundations I have tried it with.

I love that its not "powdery" and very easy to buff into the skin. My favourite ways to apply this powder are with a small fluffy brush, a larger fan brush or buffed in with a bigger flat top brush. It does need touching up on my normal/combo skin later in the day as I get a bit shiny in the T-zone, I like that this can be blotted and reapplied easily without that chalky more powder look going on.

If you are new to these and on the fence which one to go for I have the following comparisons:
Diffused Light - Can be used as setting/finishing powder - not sparkly more of a glow.

Ethereal Light - Lighter than Diffused, looks white but is more a light cream, great as a setting powder for NC15 - doesn't have as much of a glow as Diffused.

Luminous Light - Has a definite sparkle, better used as a highlight product, is a shade or more darker than Diffused, have tried this all over and was too dark on my NC15 skin and very shimmery/sparkly/un-natural looking.

I'm in NZ and found the cheapest place to buy this was Mecca Australia (especially if you are buying more than one item) - even with the shipping. .This place may be the best bet for Aussie girls too.

I am 54 and have been on the quest for foundation and powder for my slightly dry and slight rosacea face with some pore enlargement. I have been at this one year now and finally found foundation (Armani Designer Lift Smoothing) that does not settle in my pores or wrinkles. Problem now was finding a setting powder that did not look caked or accentuate my wrinkles. I was using LM translucent setting powder but, it was accentuating my lines. Powder should not defeat the purpose of a lifting, glowy, moisturizing foundation.I wanted dewy finish but ,lasting all day power. Therefore, needed new setting powder. Tried Meteorites and no lasting power. I read about Hourglass Ambient powders and was surprised about the overwhelming positive reviews despite the price tag. Finally got to try the colors of Hourglass Ambient powders at Sephora, and settled on Diffused light for my complexion (light skinned latina with yellow undertones and red cheeks). It was amazing how well it blurred large pores and the redness is gone. Lasts all day without anymore than a light touch up over my nose at lunch. It really gives you beautiful skin without settling into lines with a nice glow. Controls a little oil over the nose without clinging to dry patches. I finally found a foundation setting powder combination that works for me. Really need to give this a try if you are on the fence.

on 10/14/2013 7:43:00 PM

Ladies, violetmist is correct. This is NOT a setting powder. It's a finishing powder. The distinction must be made or you won't be able to appreciate it.

My beloved Immaculate Complexion fdt. was getting much too dry for my oily but aging skin, so I decided to exchange it for this. I'm glad I did because I'm going to get a lot more use from this than I was getting from the fdt.

This finishing powder should be the last step in your MU application, which means it goes over setting powder, blush, etc. As such it works very well. It gives me a soft-focused, airbrushed look with the faintest, subtlest of glows (no sparkles, no glitter). It looks yellowish in the pan but it goes on transparent. I put it on with my big, fluffy powder brush. You can use it just on your cheekbones, etc., or all over your face. Either way, you only need a little bit.

It does not control oil because, again, it's not a setting powder. So if you're oily, you want to set your fdt with your regular powder first and top it with this. Don't worry. It won't make you look powdery (unless you go crazy with it). Given the extremely high price I would not have bought this (really, I don't know what they're smoking at Hourglass). But since it was an exchange, I am enjoying it.

I was stuck between this and Dim Light. I did a ton of research before I purchased this to hopefully ensure my happiness with this product. I for once actually wanted something more subtle, but yet looked like I did something to my skin. For me I'm fair NW15 about now with some redness and no acne, so my skin is in pretty good shape ATM. I liked how this said it would give the skin "clarity" minimize redness, and control shine while giving you a sunlit type glow. So it sounded pretty good to me so I pulled the trigger. Well, I must say this actually works very well! I use this as my final step in my makeup and it truly makes my skin look better. It gives it a glow that no other finishing powder has done for me.

I apply this with my MAC 187 and so far that has been excellent in enabling me to really buff it in, which is key I find. I use a very light foundation like Mufe F&B or a BB Cream only using one layer. I then do my eye mu and blush. I haven't been using setting powder as of late because my skin has been on the dry side so I use the Diffused Light to finish and gah it just makes my skin look so much better! My friend even said you look so pretty and it was only this and minimal MU. So, I can really say in my case this does give my skin more clarity and a very nice subtle glow.

There is no shimmer in this when you swatch it, it just looks like a yellowish pearl on your finger. On the face though if you buff it in it just makes your skin look fantastic in any light. I especially enjoyed that I didn't look hideous in fluorescent lighting.:) It comes in a nice sleek compact with a good size mirror. You also get 10 grams of product. I find if you use a brush that buffs the product in it doesn't kick up any powder at all for me. Is it worth the hype? I have to say yes, because it has done something to my skin that no finishing powder has ever done. It will make the light reflect off your face differently therefore giving you a softer look.

It does neutralize shine but it does not control oil or anything. I find as the day goes on and this melts into my skin the better my skin looked. My eyes looked brighter and stood out more and my light redness around my nose and chin was not noticeable. It just looked like smooth clarified skin. I tried it on my friend and it made her freckles look more soft focused. She couldn't believe how this did that. Imo it does what it says so I'm stoked! I would repurchase and want Dim Light next. I'm really enjoying this and for the Spring/Summer it's going to be excellent to have for going out. I personally will not buy the brush my 187 works fine, but I'd be a liar to say I'm not thinking about it;)
Amazing finishing powder I'm so happy to have it in my arsenal. Recommended!

on 1/22/2014 2:27:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I got all six shades and I will review them individually and as a whole in the main review for these powders. This shade is described as neutral peach beige powder that blurs imperfections and highlights a radiant complexion with the perfect balance of warm and cool tones.This is one of my least favorites, along with Ethereal Light because I think it's too light and yellow as a setting powder and too matte for a highlight. Plus, I think it's easily dupe-able.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

These powders really did barrel onto the scene in a speeding hype-train, prompting many reviewers to reflexively snub them out of sheer irritation. And I totally get that contrarian urge to hate on stuff that marketers tell you to like, but real talk here? This stuff is great.

Diffused Light is a scentless, pale, eggnog shade with a stirring of pearl in it for the barest hint of a gleam when applied to the face. The soft yellow is meant to balance out redness, but the application is too sheer to do all of the work if that's the effect you're wanting. Better to use another product for that. However, if you just want to nudge a pink toned complexion a step toward neutral, this will do so nicely. It doesn't mattify your complexion at all. Instead, it buffs it to a subtle sheen, nearly tracelessly, imparting the polished look of clean, luminous skin. I've been wearing it in place of foundation over my daily sunscreen, and find that it gives me all the polish I want, though it does fade a bit after five hours on my skin.

Although this is nominally a highlighting powder, this particular shade is better suited as an allover finishing powder, at least on lighter skintones, and as such, I wouldn't recommend buying the special brush they've made for it, which is better suited for targeted applications.

As fantastic as this finishing powder is, I can't really give it 5 lipsticks. The packaging isn't luxurious enough for the price point, and for fifty bucks, I expect something more refined than a lightweight plastic compact. Still, I would buy it again, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for a subtle, flattering finishing powder.

on 11/23/2014 9:45:00 PM

I absolutely love this product. It is a very pale yellow powder that comes with very very fine shimmer, that you can barely detect even on the back of your hand. It comes in a handy and secure plastic compact that looks like metal. It is complete fragrance-less, which I really like. It sets makeup fine, but it offers no prolongation of foundation and no oil control, which is fine, as Hourglass did not promise such things. When I bought this, I also bought the Guerlain Meteorites in 02 Clair. And between the two, this one is definitely heavier on the face. People can definitely tell you are wearing makeup, but in a good way. Even though it looks heavy, in pictures, it gives the most gorgeous plastic glow. Like your skin but - all bumps and blemishes + a surreal glow. I highly recommend this product. Below I have posted a video for the review and comparison between this one and the Guerlain Meteorites in 02 clair. I know when I was torn between these two I had a hard time deciding. So I decided to do a comparison myself. Feel free to check it out!

on 12/20/2013 9:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

It's taken me a while to write this because I wasn't entirely sure if I loved this or not. But I've noticed I reach for this product often, and, some application hiccups aside, I usually love the effect it gives.

I ended up buying this after seeing a Wayne Goss review and thinking he looked amazing wearing it. It's $62 or something here in Australia, which is expensive (but not too different from a lot of other mid to high end brands). It was this or the NARS one.

When I first got this I was kind of disappointed, I was using a soft kabuki brush to dust it on and it often looked powdery. After getting some counter advice I realised you need to buff this on, preferably with a slightly stiffer brush. The packaging is typically awesome looking Hourglass, but it's plastic so I wouldn't recommend dropping this on a hard floor or dumping it in your handbag with heavy stuff. It's robust but not indestructible.

I think this product is fairly multipurpose, it will definitely work as an 'invisible' finishing powder a la Guerlain Meteorites (but I prefer Meteorites for that job), but it can also be worn as a stand-alone powder or as a highlighter. I like this as a finishing powder but it can look slightly powdery if you over apply or apply it with a brush that doesn't buff it in. It's not like the Meteorites which you can't really see once they're on. I does have the skin perfecting look however, though it's better at a distance or in photos, whereas the Meteorites look nice close up too. The Meteorites are extraordinarily finely milled, whereas this is on par with most powders I've used in the past- if you pack it on you'll get cake face.

If you wear it alone it provides a slightly 'perfecting' look, it's not as good as a foundation but you'll look 'better' and the powder isn't visible (on my oily skin at least).
Where this really shines though is as a highlight, it adds glow but no colour or obnoxious metallic shimmer (so it won't dramatically change your blush colour or look greasy) and it means you can use it all over and then build up where you highlight (and it will keep oil at bay too).

If you want this exclusively as a 'perfecting' finishing powder I'd get the Meteorites instead, they never look powdery on, will last longer and only cost a bit more. If you hate scented products though, get this because the Meteorites I extremely violet lolly scented.
However this is a great product in its own right and I use it a lot- probably more than the Meteorites (because I don't have to be paranoid my two year old will knock them over or think they're lollies) and I use it much more than all my highlighters because it is much harder to overdo.

I'm curious to try some of the others now, which is a pretty big turnaround from being kinda bummed about it when I first got it. Maybe Mood Light next?

on 5/24/2013 10:56:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I am reviewing the Ambient Light - Diffused Light version.

I have sensitive/dehydrated skin and a very light skin tone. I absolutely love this setting powder and currently it seems my favourite as I tend to grab this one most of the time.
It is not white, but a very very very light yellowish tone with some super finely milled shimmer particles that dont look like shimmer and are not visible, but instead give you a very flawless and "glowy/radiant" look. In fact on most days, I just add a little concealer with this powder on top and completely skin the foundation.
One tiny tiny minus is that there is (like with most brands) no brush in the compact so I need to carry a separate one.
I also like that this brand does NOT include parabens, phthalates, sulfates, synthetic fragrances, synthetic dyes, GMOs, Triclosan, and nanoparticles.

on 8/17/2017 1:10:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Other

Edit: I've been experimenting with his and found an even more foolproof way to apply this. I set my under eyes lightly with the RCMA no color powder and then go in with a light layer of this powder. The finish is seamless like this.

I purchased this powder a long time ago. I think I used it as an all over setting powder a few times. I don't remember if I liked it, but clearly I didn't like it enough to reach for it regularly. I was going through my stash a few days ago and rediscovered this. I can't believe this gem was hidden in my collection for so long! I've been mainly using it to set my under eye. I'm not a fan of that too-light, huge triangles drawn under eyes look that youtubers go for. I get that it brightens up the under eye, but it can look weird if you want to keep the rest of the face makeup minimal. Usually I prefer concealers that match my skintone, but I also want a slightly bright under eye without looking too cakey or powdery. Looks like I had the right product with me all along. I use my regular concealer and lightly powder this under my eyes and inner corners. It brightens up the area immediately. It doesn't look powdery at all. Just make sure you blend any concealer that settles into fine lines within the first few minutes of applying the concealer. Go in with the powder only after that. It's difficult to get rid of creasing if you set it after it's already creased. I also bring this down lightly to the tops of my cheeks from my undereye so that it's smooth and blends with the rest of my face. It gives a very nice highlighter-like glow. I've tried putting it on the center of my forehead and chin as well and it looks nice. One surprising thing I discovered playing around as that it covers the darkness around the mouth that I have naturally being a medium, olive-skinned person.

Yes, it does have a slight shimmer. But you can only see it if you're two inches away from my face. I would repurchase.