NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer

NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer

4.2

on 3/4/2017 8:50:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Allow me to issue a single word precursor to open this review: YMMV.

Now that the RCC fan mob has left the room, we can discuss this storied concealer. As we all know, concealers are a multipurpose tool in our cosmetic arsenals. The market for concealers is ablaze right now and I think it would be fair to say that this came about entirely because of YouTube and the 'gurus' we now worship. Whether we should be elevating them to such a lofty position is a whole matter for another time. Despite what you may think of these 'gurus', they have successfully changed the way even homemaker Hannah next door does her makeup. Whether you use concealer to highlighter the high planes of your face or to say sayonara to Patrick, the premenstrual pimple, the many different brands of makeup have worked to release extensive lines of concealers, cream to liquid to light coverage to something that will allow you to create such a perfected base that you will look like a porcelain doll with no distinct features if you should paint them back on (however, that very notion is what I find enjoyable about makeup. I can erase effectively and draw back what I might not even have, like cheekbones).

I really onto delved into makeup seriously within the last five years. When I first purchased RCC, I knew nothing on the highlighting and contouring trend but I was a young mother and had the dark circles to show for it. I do not recall how my skin was back then but it must have paired nicely with RCC because I was very fond of the formulation and I did repurchase it twice (once to replace a custard that I finished and again to try ginger, a shade closer to my skin tone).

Five months after my 30th birthday I moved from hot and humid Alabama, back home to the dry climate of Southern California. I continued using and enjoying RCC. Then I turned 32 and it's like the sands of times sucked the life out of my facial skin. My cheeks burned in response to basic skincare, my eyelids grew irritated and even cracked from the simple act of blending eyeshadow. Attempting to use RCC only resulted in something akin to a crocodile purse smeared in ivory paint. The concealer now highlighted every scaley patch and it actually seemed to dry out my under eyes over the course of a day.

Sure, you can hydrate and moisturizer before application but concealer settles and creases in the lines I have but setting the under eye just emphasized any dryness. It was a losing battle. This is the natural way of the world we live in though, things change and sometimes it's best to move on. I did love it at point but I will not repurchase again.

As much as I love my MAC Studio Finish concealer, I find that it has a tendency to settle into the fine lines and crevices in my eye area - occasionally balling up after powder has been applied. I figured that a liquid would be a better choice, both in texture and in wear.
I had heard that NARS had a decent line of concealers, and I figured I would try it.

It was a little more viscous than I expected, but not overly so. Other than texture, the application was smooth and it was incredibly easy to blend and build coverage as necessary.
It wore well, with minimal creasing and/or travelling on the skin.

I definitely plan on repurchasing if I should happen to run out.

on 2/17/2017 3:49:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Me: Dry and sensitive skin prone to redness.

What I like: This was the first concealer that I'd ever used that didn't highlight dryness or flakiness (excluding my undereye area). It's great for covering up general redness or the occasional pimple - leaving a very natural skinlike finish. Its ability to look natural while being a fuller coverage product is quite impressive. It has average wear time on me (fading after around 5 hours) and is not as tenacious as my new favorite for this type of general concealing - the MAC Pro Longwear concealer (I have reviewed this as well).

I am an olive NC20ish and found Custard was an ok match. This product has quite a good shade range for light to medium skin tones now they've added additional shades to the range since I purchased this product. I would buy one shade lighter if I were to repurchase. I also like that this is fragrance free.

What I don't like: While I had hoped this could be a great multipurpose concealer used both on my face and under the eyes, it is much too drying for my under eye area. It gives my undereye a crepe-y appearance. The colour was also too yellow for use on my purple-y dark circles - it gave a grey look. Side note: I am yet to find a great under eye concealer as yet.

I also find that it doesn't wear as well as the MAC PLW concealer as noted above - the MAC does a better job of maintaining coverage of a few broken capillaries that I have on my nose even though they're right where my sunglasses sit. Another annoyance worth noting is that this is marketed as a 'radiant' concealer when it has no radiance to it whatsoever. It's very much a natural matte finish on my drier skin type.

Overall, it's a slightly above average product that I probably won't buy again when there are so many concealers out there and I'd rather try something new. However if you are looking for a fuller coverage concealer that has a skin like finish then this is worth checking out. I would suggest it's more suitable for normal to combination skins.

on 2/8/2017 8:21:00 PM

I was so put off by the price of this concealer even though the EL one I use is only like $3 cheaper.
I got the mini size as a gift. At first I wasn't conpletely wowed, but this turned into my every day concealer and now a staple product for me.

It's amazing for every day use.

This is why:
*At nc15, which I presently am bc it's winter. I can use the shade vanilla to BOTH conceal my undereye and conceal blemishes. No longer do I need two separate concealers bc my undereye concealer highlights my zits and my zit concealer turns my undereyes yellow. Somehow I can use vanilla as a one stop shop.

*perfect amount of coverage. If I want flawless undereyes for days I am better off with ELDW concealer, Mac studio finish in nw20, benefit erase paste or a similar corrector. Nars rcc doesn't leave my undereyes completely flawless but it DOES COVER my grey circles for the most part, doesn't budge all day, doesn't crease, and doesn't pill while im applying it. It just works. It does exactly what I need it to do. No more no less. And im out the door really quickly.

*matte enough to last all day, but I can see where they got the radiant monomer. This really does just look like skin when it is on

So I will continue to buy this although the price sucks.

This is the best concealer for under eye that l've tried so far, all the other concealer that I use settle on my lines thus making it more noticeable but this one does not which is perfect. I use the vanilla shade the only con about this is that it's expensive. I've tried dupes for this but nothing pass. I have yet to try other high end concealer to compare to this one but for now this is the best for dark under eye concealing. Handsdown!

on 1/12/2017 9:52:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Although I never buy cosmetic products in a "tube with a wand" packaging (apart for mascara,obvsly), being a germaphobe that I am, I finally gave in to the Nars. The reason - me being very pale and neutral (around NC10) and them carrying the Chantilly shade. Finally I found a purrfect match that I can use as is, hurraaah! So, shade-wise it is very desaturated - nothing yellow or pink in it (unlike another very fair concealer that I recently swatched by Smashbox which is about as fair as the Chantilly but is yellow-based). And unlike my (still HG) undereye concealer by La Prairie in 1 which is a *very* fair pinkish shade, good for color-correcting the under-eye blue circles but alien anywhere else on my neutral complexion. I guess this is actually the first concealer *ever* that is fair enouph for me and saves me from all the fuss of mixing shades or color-correcting with another product.
Coverage-wise, the Nars is imo easily buildable to full coverage. Never oxidises, barely (if at all, actually) separates on the oily parts of the face even after long hours. Doesn't accentuate/dehydrate further my dryish cheeks. Doesn't irritate my extremely sensitive skin *at all*. And doesn't AT ALL make me break out. Goes very well with my powder foundation. A possible downside (not for me, though, as I'm very ok with specific-purpose products, also the Nars lacks the color-correcting shade tinge) is that I do agree with those who say that it doesn't work well for under the eyes - I do find that for my thin and dryish skin there the Nars looks unflatteringly dry. I also love that it doesn't feel silicony/slippery/oily (which is maybe why it is too dry for my under-eye area). So, all in all this is my new HG concealer for blemishes.
I even feel bad for my Becca Ultimate coverage which is very different in texture to the Nars and in a full-workday-test performs worse than the Nars; but they should have made the Praline shade fairer, so blame's on themselves. I'll now have to figure out how to use it up - maybe in the summer, as imo it runs in-between the Nars Chantilly and Vanilla.
By the way, the Vanilla being the next shade in the Nars line is SO much darker than Chantilly, like nc15 at best imo.

on 12/16/2016 10:58:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Love this concealer and have repurchased several times, works well for both undereyes (usually mix with a more orangey shade in another brand for undereyes) as well as blemishes, good staying power but does transfer a bit if you are touching or rubbing the area (I find it rubs off where my glasses/sunglasses sit as well as on my chin when I'm on the phone a lot at work, etc - which I think is pretty normal). Nice finish and easy to work with - it dries down relatively quickly but not as quickly as something like MAC Prolongwear, you can easily apply this everywhere you want and then blend out without worrying it will dry before you can get to the other side of your face. As with all NARS packaging the rubberised top does get grubby which looks pretty gross after a while but no complaints otherwise about the applicator or tube. I wish this came in a larger format as it even works well as a foundation substitute but is way too expensive to use that way regularly!

on 12/11/2016 7:12:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Amazing coverage! I use the color Custard for my NC30 skin tone. It is definitely pricey so if I'm just going out for a couple errands I tend to use it's dupe Maybelline's Fit Me concealer which is a quarter of the price and similar coverage. But for a long day, meeting friends/family, out for dinner, I'll use the NARS concealer!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

This is a good concealer but like many of Nar's complexion products, its just too off in the shade department. Nars doesn't do neutral skin tones at all. Your either straight up in the yellow category or pink. If your in between forget about it. I chose the shade Amande as it was the closets I was gonna get. Caramel is just too light/ pink and the next shade up was too dark/ red . I like the consistency, finish and staying power but the color range sucks! Even with the new additions it still lacks decent neutral tones especially for darker skins. We are not all red, yellow/ orange!! I have to mix this with Makeup forever's concealer in shade 12 to get this to work. The two paired together looks flawless. All this to say that if you can find a good color match this is a good concealer worth the $29 price tag but not if you have to mix two together.

on 11/22/2016 4:29:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

this concealer is so drying under my eyes! no matter how much i moisturise i cant seem to get the product to not settle into my fine lines. price was a bit steep too at $42 aud!