NYX HD Studio Finishing Powder

Silica, Propylparaben, Methylparaben

on 9/16/2016 10:14:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I used to use the HD powder from IT Cosmetics. Until I read the ingredients: 100% silica. IT was $26, this stuff is around $10. Same stuff, does the same thing at the much more expensive version. It's very, very finely milled, so it does disappear on my face. I use it UNDER my foundation--as part of my primer step, and then very lightly over foundation. Keeps my makeup locked in place, and keeps it from degrading during the day. I don't use it for photo ops, because like most real people, I don't get many of those. I just use it to keep my makeup from sliding off my very oily face. And for that, it's A WINNER.

This powder didn't work with my dry skin :(

This is the first loose powder I have used but I really like it compared to some of the pressed powders I've tried. Despite looking like a chalky white in the package it does go on transparent (but it is noticeable in flash photography). It leaves my skin looking smooth and controls oil for about five hours. My complaint is the packaging, it can get pretty messy as the holes dispense a lot of product at once. At $10 it's worth a try if you want a simple silica powder.

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Other, Coarse

I decided to buy this product because I was waiting for my Ben Nye Luxury Translucent powder to come. I have really oily skin and nothing really keeps it looking matte. So I put this on after wearing my makeup for about 3 hours, my face is oily by then, to see how it work. I'm proud to day that I LOVE it. It leaves my skin matte & soft. I even laid down on my white & purple pillow case & there was no residue of makeup left. I strongly recommend it. It's just as good as a high end product.

on 5/8/2014 5:38:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Itchy..caused clogged pores
wish it worked out :(

Omg I can't say enough how awesome of a finishing powder this is. It made my skin look flawless and soooo smooth. I used this with the NYX Dewy finish spray and my makeup stayed in place all night. Before I used the Tarte amazon clay finishing powder and I love this so much more.

on 4/17/2014 10:06:00 PM

$9.99 USD. Thanks to Beautyforless for inspiring me to get this! The packaging is horrible, much like BB loose powder. I transferred mine to old NARS powder case with mesh sifter that I save for this kind of use. The product is Very matte and on me, I had absolutely no need to blot through a normal working day. Usually, I have to blot couple of times. On me this works better to finish liquid foundation than on bare skin, as I found it a tad drying on tzone skin. Personally, I see slight white cast right after putting it on, but it blends and disappears after absorbing oils on the skin. A normal powder brush works better than kabuki, and I think synthetic worked better than natural bristle but that could just be personal preference. Also, The texture could be finer, but for the price point it's worth every dollar and more. The silica didn't break out my skin yet but I'll still keep watching as I never know how my skin reacts to new products.

It has taken me 7 years to find a product that controls oil on my obnoxiously oily skin. And when I say "oily" I mean "within 30 minutes of applying foundation my forehead and nose are glistening." I have tried so many different primers, foundations, powders and skin care products - everything from high to low-end, and nothing has came close to controlling my oil like NYX HD powder. I can go 8-9 hours now before noticing a sheen of any kind which is a small miracle in my book.

Yes, the packaging is horrible. The sifter top has too many large holes and since the power is very fine, whenever you open the top, it flies everywhere. My solution was to only open 1 hole and keep the others taped off. I flip over the jar, give it a tap on the bottom then flip it back over and tap it on top. I have found that what remains on the top after opening the jar is plenty of powder to cover my entire face, while keeping the mess to a minimum. I apply this powder with either a fan brush or an EcoTools powder brush.

For $10 at Ulta, this is a steal and I will be repurchasing when I run out.

on 4/8/2013 2:24:00 PM

I have both of the other well-known silica setting powders, the MUFE and Elf versions. I actually prefer this one over both. It seems to be more finely milled and smoother, so finely milled in fact, that it drifts up into the air when the lid is removed. Annoying, yes, but this is just an indicator of how very fine the particles are. As such it doesn't cake or settle into fine lines, nor does it emphasize dry patches. Just a very smooth and beautiful finish. It's 100% silica, and I don't remember how that compares to the MUFE and Elf, but I'll check the label and update. The only reason I'm giving it a '4' is because the very small amount in the jar makes it deceivingly expensive at $9.99 US (Ulta).