NYX HD Studio Finishing Powder

NYX HD Studio Finishing Powder

3.8

Silica, Propylparaben, Methylparaben

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

this powder is aweful. DO NOT use it if you plan on taking pictures with flash on. it leaves terrible flashback on your face!!

on 4/8/2017 1:12:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I liked this product when I first put it on but as the day goes on it gets dry. It feels very drying on the skin, kind of ashy. Doesn't leave any colour but I feel like it pales your skin just the tiniest bit which I don't like. I would perhaps buy it again if the weather gets really hot but not otherwise. My skin is sensitive to drying products though, so if your skin is only a little dry or you have a really oily t-zone then I think it's really good and super cheap!

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

NYX has many good products. But this is a huge fail. First off, the ingredients: Silica seems ok, but I don't understand the parabens. I bet there are other (also cheap) healthier ingredients that could replace these. So far, this is my first Silica powder but I noticed that after I purchase and researching on the net. In the store I tried the tester and I thought: This is such a fine milled powder, plus it says HD, so why not? I used it the next day. Under my eyes and the whole face. I changed nothing about my makeup routine. And the result is awful. What happened? -> my face = blotchy foundation nightmare (it looked like my skin absorbed the foundation like a moisturizer) -> grandma wrinkles on undereyes -> my foundation shade suddenly was 1-2 shades darker (oxidation!) I thought my face changed from combination to dry skin. And I tried to use it sparingly. My BB doesn't grab any product so that's it for me. Even my beloved setting brush by Real Techniques barely grabbed any powder. So I had to dip and dip and dip til I had some on my foundation tool. Ain't nobody got time for that, NYX. Since I can't return it, I'm going to use this for bare face (when my face won't need foundation) or as dry shampoo. Maybe for mattifying lipsticks but let's see. I regret that I bought this powder, and I had high expectations. I'll stay with my fav products by NYX. But I'm going to return to Laura Mercier Translucent Powder. This is expensive but lasts you a long time, does a fine job (you get what you pay for) and you get 29g!

on 3/15/2017 1:49:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have been using this product for 3 years now, not everyday but this is one of my staple ones.This has worked for me. I have very, very oily skin.

In my opinion, this powder has very specific, practical and simple job. First of all I am not into baking etc. I kinda hate that trend. I use this alone or on top of my foundation. I use a big, fluffy brush, not the dense and compact brush cos you will end up with white patches all over. Very little amount is needed per use that's why I'm surprised by the many negative reviews. It works well in providing your whole face with a very light shield that I think prevents the oil from going overboard.

This works best on my oily skin as every time I use this, after a few hours, my face just looks dewy. I think the brush you use is the key. For me, it's the big, very loose and soft face brush. I will definitely repurchase.

I first bought this product intending to use it as an everyday all over setting powder. I quickly discovered that this powder was very mattifying and had a tendency to cake if used with a dense powder brush. It left me with dry looking patches and also gave my face a white cast. The packaging is quite awful - the holes in the sifter are huge so there is always way too much product in the top when you open it, and the powder itself is extremely fine and will fly everywhere when you try to use it. I tried this a few times then threw it in the back of my drawer... Where it sat until I rediscovered it this summer.

During the 40+ degree Celsius days this summer I was having trouble keeping my face matte so pulled this powder out to try again. It works very well as a mattifying overall setting powder if you use a small amount with a fluffy brush, it keeps my face matte for about 8 hours and gives a rather beautiful airbrushed finish. It does lighten my foundation a bit but a bit of bronzer or setting spray fixes that easily. I would not use it to set the undereye - its far too drying for that. You can also set your face with another powder (I like RCMA no colour powder or Rimmel stay matte) and use this in the T zones to help with oil control.

In conclusion this product is great for oil control but has terrible packaging and will leave a slight white cast. Its worth a try for oily girls but bear in mind it will probably flash back in pictures.

I would probably eventually repurchase this if I don't find another powder as mattifying as this one.

on 2/26/2017 5:51:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Overall a nice product. Keeps my face pretty matte for a good while, and even keeps my rather oily nose matte for about 5-6 hours (I have combo skin).
I used it the other day before going to a party, and it lasted from around 1pm till 3am with minimal caking and oiliness. (Disclaimer: I was a little drunk at 3am so it might've looked better through my beergoggles, lol)

The container is quite messy, because you can't "lock" the powder in the inside, like you can with the GOSH Prime'n'set (if you're familiar with the packaging), so you'll most likely get white powder everywhere - so stay away from it if you're wearing a black top.

It's very finely milled in my opinion, especially when compared to the GOSH Prime'n'set which feels kinda heavy on the skin, and isn't suitable for baking, if you ask me.
I haven't tried baking with this product yet though, so I don't know if it's suitable for that.

All in all a nice setting powder, which I'll likely repurchase once I run out of it, if I don't find a better one.

on 2/22/2017 12:04:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

My skin in nc50. This banana powder left me with a white ghost face. Not good for darker skin. Definitely not as good as Ben Nye banana powder

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I have oily skin (combo in the summer) , and this powder is great for setting everything (as meant to be used for), honestly wish i wouldve found this sooner. Its very very finely milled and easy to blend out. Its the only powder that actually keeps my t-zone shine completely away for longer than 4 hours (with a primer of course) . I warn you though, if you tend to take lots of photos with flash ,either avoid this product or apply only a very light amount . I only wish, for a drugstore item,they gave a little more product ,since its like 9.99 for a small container, but its not a big issue. If you have oily/combo skin type i recommend this! its a good alternative to the high end $35+ HD powders

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

worst loose powder ever. tried it to bake the undereyes and it left the worst flashback & white patches ever. it IS very smooth but i had to dip my sponge several times because it wouldn't grip to it. and when i applied it with a brush to set everything else, the powder was just all over the place & so messy. definitely wouldn't recommend this 👎

on 1/13/2017 6:15:00 AM

Awful product. States it will 'absorb oil' but absorbs so much of my concealer and leaves me with awful white patches where it has been applied. Feels so dry and cakey. Do not recommend.