NYX HD Studio Finishing Powder

NYX HD Studio Finishing Powder

3.7

Silica, Propylparaben, Methylparaben

on 8/7/2017 9:56:00 PM

What a great product! I've used powder foundations and other cheap setting powders in the hopes of controlling my oily T-zone, but they never seem to make it to the end of the day without getting shiny on me. This finishing powder really lasts, even when I start to sweat.

I you're planning on getting a powder to bake your face with, in a proper Instagram fashion, definitely don't buy this!
If you're looking to achieve a blurred-out-pore effect on your selfies using this powder, you're better off with an app. You will, nonetheless, achieve a blurred-out-pore effect in real life. <3

This powder is MAGNIFICENT at setting a light layer of foundation in, to even out and mattify for a natural looking finish. I use Dior's Diorskin Forever Perfect Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 35 in Ivory, and haven't changed brands for years. After a few Summers I realized that, as much as I hate heavy makeup, a finishing powder was due for me. I like YSL's Poudre Compact Radiance for the colder months, but in Summer it can all get a bit too much, and breaking a sweat under all that is not a very good beauty scenario. Can you imagine wearing 2 layers of makeup to the beach? Yuck (But one layer along with a dash of this finishing powder, thats' a perfect marriage to give your natural beauty an extra kick that last and beats shine caused by oil production.)

I have found this is better applied with a big loose brush, and a little goes a long way. I ensure there are no residues with the feel of my hands, then I'm good to do. Remember, this is best used as the very last step in your makeup routine, unless you're up for a special night out and you'll sprinkle a bit of glitter on it all, then go dancing.

Sometimes I do forget, and I have to apply my blush on top of this powder (Mornings, hehe) but I definitely get a more even, controllable and blendable application under it. Once again this is a FINISHING powder.

There are endless high end brands that carry finishing powders like YSL (Compact) Laura Mercier (Loose), but at the end of the day I personally prefer to invest my money on the things that are closer to my skin, like moisturizer and foundation. It works great on top of all the goodness underneath when used properly, so I'd say: Great value for money :)

This is probably the worst powder i have ever tried... it dried up my skin so badly and it didn't even set my concealer right..
Other than that it had major flashback... no matter how i used it, it would always flash back..
I have used it several times because i really wanted it to work, but my skin got really dry after i used this product and every time i took a photo i had a major white cast...

So maybe it works well for people with oily skin, just make sure to not take photos with flash on..

I LOVE this powder! I have oily skin and often go through very long days where I have few opportunities to blot or touch up my foundation. I've tried several mattifying primers and foundations in hopes of staying matte all day, but without this powder I am nothing. I put it on right after my foundation and concealer and it completely seals in anything that, originally, might slide around. On good days, it lasts all day, and on bad days, it lasts for at least seven hours. I usually apply it with a brush, but it works very well when applied with a beauty blender, too, and makes my skin very smooth and soft. That being said, it definitely takes some getting used to when applying, and I can definitely see it being a problem for dryer skin.

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Cool

Love this product for setting concealer around T-zone. Can't see this working well for dry and/or sallow skin types. MUFE is more finely-milled and would be less drying, would also be better for flash photography/events. Great overall HD powder for oily skin. I use a different powder for the dry areas of my face, or if I'm wearing concealer under eyes.

No, just no if you have combination skin. This really cakes up in drier areas of my face and really makes my foundation look cakey. No thanks. I'll stick with the pricier Tarte Smooth Operator finishing powder. If you have oily skin, this would work extraordinarily well.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I absolutely hated this powder for not only baking but as a all over loose powder. Ok so the main reason I do not suggest getting this is because when you apply this it changes the color of your foundation darker even though it looks transparent. So if you're planning on using this to set under the eyes it won't lighten it up it will do the opposite. Every time I applied it onto my foundation it suddenly got a shade darker and also orangey looking too. Basically if you're looking to get something to bake and do that lightening up where you apply like I was this is not your shtick. Neither is the mineral one set it don't fret it powder nyx makes that one did the same thing. The only thing I noticed cool about the HD powder is it does kinda blur the area from far away when looking but up close you see it all in the lines built up. BTW This is soo not good for dry skin. It made me get the worst dry patches and it took forever to get rid of them. All in all I had a terrible experience and I definitely don't recommend anyone wasting time/money trying it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

this powder is aweful. DO NOT use it if you plan on taking pictures with flash on. it leaves terrible flashback on your face!!

on 4/8/2017 1:12:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I liked this product when I first put it on but as the day goes on it gets dry. It feels very drying on the skin, kind of ashy. Doesn't leave any colour but I feel like it pales your skin just the tiniest bit which I don't like. I would perhaps buy it again if the weather gets really hot but not otherwise. My skin is sensitive to drying products though, so if your skin is only a little dry or you have a really oily t-zone then I think it's really good and super cheap!

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

NYX has many good products. But this is a huge fail. First off, the ingredients: Silica seems ok, but I don't understand the parabens. I bet there are other (also cheap) healthier ingredients that could replace these. So far, this is my first Silica powder but I noticed that after I purchase and researching on the net. In the store I tried the tester and I thought: This is such a fine milled powder, plus it says HD, so why not? I used it the next day. Under my eyes and the whole face. I changed nothing about my makeup routine. And the result is awful. What happened? -> my face = blotchy foundation nightmare (it looked like my skin absorbed the foundation like a moisturizer) -> grandma wrinkles on undereyes -> my foundation shade suddenly was 1-2 shades darker (oxidation!) I thought my face changed from combination to dry skin. And I tried to use it sparingly. My BB doesn't grab any product so that's it for me. Even my beloved setting brush by Real Techniques barely grabbed any powder. So I had to dip and dip and dip til I had some on my foundation tool. Ain't nobody got time for that, NYX. Since I can't return it, I'm going to use this for bare face (when my face won't need foundation) or as dry shampoo. Maybe for mattifying lipsticks but let's see. I regret that I bought this powder, and I had high expectations. I'll stay with my fav products by NYX. But I'm going to return to Laura Mercier Translucent Powder. This is expensive but lasts you a long time, does a fine job (you get what you pay for) and you get 29g!