NYX HD Studio Finishing Powder

Silica, Propylparaben, Methylparaben

on 9/16/2016 10:14:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I used to use the HD powder from IT Cosmetics. Until I read the ingredients: 100% silica. IT was $26, this stuff is around $10. Same stuff, does the same thing at the much more expensive version. It's very, very finely milled, so it does disappear on my face. I use it UNDER my foundation--as part of my primer step, and then very lightly over foundation. Keeps my makeup locked in place, and keeps it from degrading during the day. I don't use it for photo ops, because like most real people, I don't get many of those. I just use it to keep my makeup from sliding off my very oily face. And for that, it's A WINNER.

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

The silica causes the washout in photos, a/c Kevin Goss. He cautions against a powder with too much silica vs. talc or other conventional mattifying ingredient because of this issue alone, and the first of only two ingredients in this product is -- silica. Yet another test to put Sephora through when testing their products in-store!

To Read all 109 Reviews, Login or Join

This powder makes my skin feel sooo silky and look almost airbrushed, however, it explodes into a cloud of dust every time I use it!! I use a sponge and it still gets all over the place, I can't imagine trying to use a brush with it! It also makes my face look lighter despite being "translucent", so I can see where other reviewers are coming from with the flash photography making them look super white. The pros outweigh the cons for me though!

on 7/11/2016 11:44:00 PM

This is an AWFUL translucent powder. This powder is really uneven on the face and looks HORRENDOUS in photos. It made my concealer crease almost instantly after putting this on. It's very chalky as well. Not worth it! Don't waste your $10 on this product. I'd much rather use loreal true match setting powder, or the maybelline translucent powder.

I was so pleasantly surprised by this powder! I have had a hard time setting my under-eye concealer for a long time and this product has solved my problems! I have been previously finding that my concealer has been gunking up around my tearducts and wearing away throughout the day. Now that I use this powder every day to bake my under-eyes, my concealer stays looking flawless and in place all day! The only downside to this is that I have been noticing that it is a tad bit glittery in certain lighting which I'm not such a fan of. The packaging is standard and can get quite messy but the price makes up for that. It does have a slight sent to it so just be aware of that but otherwise an incredible product!

I was looking for something to replace my used up Primed and Poreless loose powder from Too Faced because it was not in stock on the web-site. I like this much better. I used a kabuki brush to apply. If you use a puff, it is difficult to get the product to go on smoothly. ( It takes a bit of practice to use it with a puff.) Anyway, I felt like Too Faced's product just sat on the top of my skin while this seemed to work better to set my foundation. I wouldn't use it to absorb oil though. The container sucks! The holes are too large and it's easy to spill the product. I recommend using it while sitting down, keeping it right side up and carefully opening it, or just transfer it to a better container.

on 6/9/2016 3:57:00 PM

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

This powder is great for controlling oils but the only ingredient it has is silica, which is a major key to causing lots of flashbacks in photography. I would only recommend using it during the day.

So I bought this product because I needed something to bake with, and before I splurged on the Laura Mercier I wanted to try something more inexpensive. I've read reviews before that this was a great alternative to bake with! This was the worst idea ever.

First of all, it's hard to grab product with the beauty blender, I would dip and dip and nothing would hold onto the sponge. After dipping like a million times, I was finally in the process of baking my face. As the powder set on my face for 10 minutes, my skin automatically felt dry and tight, and I have oily skin so it was the worst feeling to have. And the worst part is trying to dust away the powder. It is the most DIFFICULT thing to do. It's almost like dusting away dried up chalk, and you're left with streaks of white powder. And don't get me started with taking pictures with flash....it was just an overall bad decision.

However, I tried it a second time but not for baking, instead I tried it just as a finishing powder and it did a better job that way but it was still too drying for my face.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm

I've been searching for a setting powder that doesn't irritate or breakout my skin so I picked this up at Target for $10 because I wanted to go talc-free this time, and this one seemed to have favorable reviews on here.

I was skeptical though, because this stuff only has one ingredient: silica (they have apparently cut out the parabens). I really wish I had followed my instincts cause this stuff does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for me. Like literally, I see no difference whatsoever after i apply it. Even applying loads of it just leaves faint white smudges that rub in and disappear with no discernible effect. I can get the same finish by brushing a clean (makeup free) brush over my face.

Maybe my face is just too oily for this stuff to do anything to it? Or maybe i'm using it wrong? Is there some sort of secret to this stuff? If there is, it eludes me. I really want my $10 back...

on 5/5/2016 12:21:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Maybe they had a formula change? This powder is horrible. Idk what else to say it's just bad, it doesn't blend it's a very heavy white that just sits on your face, the consistency of literal baking soda.