Clinique Chubby Stick Shadow Tint for Eyes

Clinique Chubby Stick Shadow Tint for Eyes
Chubby Stick Shadow Tint for EyesChubby Stick Shadow Tint for EyesChubby Stick Shadow Tint for Eyes

3.8

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Tl;dr. Panda eyes.

I bought a Chubby stick in Massive midnight a couple years ago, when I was into bold eye looks (I spent every single morning blending like 3-4 shadows into smoky eye, for reference, so I was not afraid of hard work). Sadly I never figured it out and forgot about it. I only write this review because last week I found it and tested again.

My experience - a massive nightmare (sorry):

I bought this product as a base for smoky eye, but it is a pain to apply and simply impossible to blend. The stick is too huge for any precise strokes, too small to pick up product with a brush. I believe this product is intended for mono shadow looks. You just have to swipe it all over your lid BUT it drags your skin and applies unevenly. It is not opaque, and I literally could not blend the edges to look decent. A thorough blending with a synthetic brush improves the look from 1/10 to ~ 5/10. Ok, maybe it will look good with shadow on top? No, the shadow sticks exactly over the applied Chubby stick. Probably you can blend it better but why bother if you can just use products that actually work? Also, shimmer doesn't show up on my skin - it's not a downside for me, but good to know.

My another complaint is the format. I really like the idea, but when you use it you always find yourself stopping it from falling off the edge of the table because it ...um... rolls. And that one time when I didn't catch it a large piece of product broke away. I put it into eyeshadow pan but soon it was too dry to use. Also, shiny text on the stick rubbed off even though I hardly used it.

I may sound bitter, but considering the price and all the pain - it's not worth it. I wanted to love it. It just looked so unprofessional and untidy, reminding me of kids face paint, yikes. In addition, Temptalia gave this shade a better grade than the other one, so it could be worse. I think Maybelline Color Tattoo is a notch higher for half the price.

In case you are an unlucky owner like me, Temptalia wrote that the product applied easier after she warmed it over a candle.

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I really love this eye pencil! It's easy like drawing, butt the finish is like a cream to powder.
It makes doing your eye makeup easy, and it comes in great colors. The colors last all day too.
It's a little pricey, it it's easy and fun to use, so I'd buy it again, next time in more colors.

on 12/1/2016 6:13:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I'm not a fan of these chubby eyeshadow sticks from Clinique. I love a good stick eyeshadow. My HG is the shadow sticks from Mally. But these fall short. They are super thick which makes them a little awkward to use in my opinion if you try to angle it in the crease. The size makes it better for just swiping on the whole lid. They are also fairly dry. You also have to apply a lot of layers to get any nice amount of pigment. ThEy slowly dry out as well. I would not repurchase. Retails for $17.

A little underwhelming in performance, particularly given the price.

These swatched beautifully in store on the back of my hand, but worn on eyelids they look nowhere near as intense and pigmented. The smudginess of the formula makes my eyes look tired and my overall look untidy.

Pros:
- Quick and easy to apply (and reapply on the go), doesn't tug at the eyelid
- Nice variety of shades
- No additional tools necessary, just use your fingers

Cons:
- Difficult to be precise given how chubby the tip is - precision is usually something I want when it comes to eye make up
- Hard to layer multiple shades, any complex shading combinations or crease-cutting doesn't work - it is not designed for this. Works well as a single shade just on eyelid.
- Too glittery. Particularly when blended out, as the pretty pigment is lost but glitter remains. This can look very juvenile

Overall, these aren't terrible- they are just not designed to do anything fancy.

____________________________________________________________
EDIT:

OK - so I finally figured out how to get the look I want from these eyeshadows. The trick is to swipe on the colour, and then gently blend out with a soft, fluffy blending brush. What this does is simply 'blur' out the harsh lines but retains most of the pigment, and removes the excess 'oiliness/moisture' from the shadow. I had been trying to use my fingers with these and the heat from the fingertips just kept melting it too much. The brush method works beautifully and you can even layer the pigment to get even more intense colouring by letting the first layer set and repeating the process. I've done this with the shade Curvaceous Coal and ended up with one of the prettiest smoky eye looks I've ever done!

on 7/12/2016 7:00:00 PM

Very pretty and easy to use. It does crease a bit on hot weather, even when used with primer.
EDIT: I own bountiful beige, which I like because it gives me a more awake look and is illuminating, but I regret having bought the sheer pink one (the name has worn off the tube) because it makes me look more tired and even a little bit like I've been crying. Note to self: do not buy rosy eyeshadows ever again.

on 5/12/2016 6:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

I have this in Bountiful Beige, Grandest Gold, and Lots O Latte and I freaking love them. Love them as a one shadow look or even together as a lid shade and a highlight. The pigmentation is beautiful and it's not too shimmery. Bountiful Beige makes a gorgeous highlight and Lots o Latte... I can't even describe how much I love it. Swatched, it may not seem like much, but it looks incredible on the eyes! It is a little dry taken across the eyelid (dryness depends on the shade, I've noticed), so I prefer to rub it on my finger and then swipe that across the lid. It helps it be more precise anyway since the stick is a little on the large side. I would probably only repurchase Lots o Latte though (maybe Boutinful Beige as well, we'll see) since I find that shade very unique. It's cool toned to the point where it still suits any skin undertone.

on 2/9/2016 8:05:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I own this is in bountiful beige, it's a shimmery beige that's very subtle on me. I don't usually wear a lot of eyeshadow, or any really so I like this for a little bit of something on my eyes. It's not super noticeable but it does add a nice sheen and a hint of colour. The stick applicator is quick and easy and I can just swipe into my crease and blend with a finger. It lasts all day and doesn't crease or fade. They only thing I didn't like is that my shadow is a little loose in the pencil and falls forward a bit when I apply. Not sure if the one I got is faulty or if this is common with these pencils. Would repurchase.

I have this in bountiful beige. It is a pretty shimmery neutral color and went on really smoothly. BUT it looks like nothing. Like a shimmery nothing. Like my lids just got oily. That's it.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This in Bountiful beige is a HG (holy grail) product for me. I love it for the same reasons that many other dislike this.

_Colour_ (bountiful beige)
On fair-light skin this gives a nice sheen rather than a colour. It has a pale golden rosy base colour, but it doesn't really catch any on my skin. It's a perfect highlighter when I want my skin to look luminous without looking made up. I would say that it's a neutral-to warm colour that would suit most lighter skin tones.

_Formula_
The formula is very creamy and easy use. It really is like a soft crayon. On my dry skin it dries down a little, so it stays put without looking dry. Oilier skins might need to set it with a powder.

_Lasting power_
This fades slowly, but nicely. After 5 hours there is less product there, but never any creasing or blotchiness. It's easily solved by some reapplication.

_Packaging_
At first I found the Crayon-packaging was a bit childish and unwomanlike. Over time I have come to like it. After all, it is simple and timeless. The colour coding makes it easy to pick out the right colour. It's well made and small, so I often keep it in my purse. Usually I use it as a crayon and draw straight onto my face, saving a little time.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Update - After having these for a few months, I'm downgrading them. They have dried out over time, to the point where they drag more and don't blend as well, giving more of a patchy look. So they'd be fine if you used them up quickly, but for me, they dried out too quickly.

How well you'll like these probably depends on the color you buy and the look you're going for. The darker colors have more pigment and less shimmer; the lighter colors are quite shimmery with less color payoff. Curvaceous Coal is the darkest and most pigmented of the three I own, great for a quick smokey eye. The Lilac and Latte colors are more sheer and shimmery but because they're more heavily frosted they have a drier feel.
Their biggest advantage is that they give a quick polished look in a couple swipes with some light finger blending. I use them each as a single shade shadow. I don't often have the time to apply powder eyeshadow, and deal with blending and fallout, so these are a good quick alternative.