Clinique Chubby Stick Shadow Tint for eyes

Chubby Stick Shadow Tint for eyesChubby Stick Shadow Tint for eyes

3.8

on 12/1/2016 6:13:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I'm not a fan of these chubby eyeshadow sticks from Clinique. I love a good stick eyeshadow. My HG is the shadow sticks from Mally. But these fall short. They are super thick which makes them a little awkward to use in my opinion if you try to angle it in the crease. The size makes it better for just swiping on the whole lid. They are also fairly dry. You also have to apply a lot of layers to get any nice amount of pigment. ThEy slowly dry out as well. I would not repurchase. Retails for $17.

A little underwhelming in performance, particularly given the price.

These swatched beautifully in store on the back of my hand, but worn on eyelids they look nowhere near as intense and pigmented. The smudginess of the formula makes my eyes look tired and my overall look untidy.

Pros:
- Quick and easy to apply (and reapply on the go), doesn't tug at the eyelid
- Nice variety of shades
- No additional tools necessary, just use your fingers

Cons:
- Difficult to be precise given how chubby the tip is - precision is usually something I want when it comes to eye make up
- Hard to layer multiple shades, any complex shading combinations or crease-cutting doesn't work - it is not designed for this. Works well as a single shade just on eyelid.
- Too glittery. Particularly when blended out, as the pretty pigment is lost but glitter remains. This can look very juvenile

Overall, these aren't terrible- they are just not designed to do anything fancy.

____________________________________________________________
EDIT:

OK - so I finally figured out how to get the look I want from these eyeshadows. The trick is to swipe on the colour, and then gently blend out with a soft, fluffy blending brush. What this does is simply 'blur' out the harsh lines but retains most of the pigment, and removes the excess 'oiliness/moisture' from the shadow. I had been trying to use my fingers with these and the heat from the fingertips just kept melting it too much. The brush method works beautifully and you can even layer the pigment to get even more intense colouring by letting the first layer set and repeating the process. I've done this with the shade Curvaceous Coal and ended up with one of the prettiest smoky eye looks I've ever done!

on 7/12/2016 7:00:00 PM

Very pretty and easy to use. It does crease a bit on hot weather, even when used with primer.

on 5/12/2016 6:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

I have this in Bountiful Beige, Grandest Gold, and Lots O Latte and I freaking love them. Love them as a one shadow look or even together as a lid shade and a highlight. The pigmentation is beautiful and it's not too shimmery. Bountiful Beige makes a gorgeous highlight and Lots o Latte... I can't even describe how much I love it. Swatched, it may not seem like much, but it looks incredible on the eyes! It is a little dry taken across the eyelid (dryness depends on the shade, I've noticed), so I prefer to rub it on my finger and then swipe that across the lid. It helps it be more precise anyway since the stick is a little on the large side. I would probably only repurchase Lots o Latte though (maybe Boutinful Beige as well, we'll see) since I find that shade very unique. It's cool toned to the point where it still suits any skin undertone.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

How well you'll like these probably depends on the color you buy and the look you're going for. The darker colors have more pigment and less shimmer; the lighter colors are quite shimmery with less color payoff. Curvaceous Coal is the darkest and most pigmented of the three I own, great for a smokey eye. But with the darker color, creasing is more noticeable. The Lilac and Latte colors are more sheer and shimmery but blend easily with no harsh lines. They do have a drier feel though. I use each as a single-shade shadow, applied heavier at the outer corners of my eyes.
Their biggest advantage is that they give a quick polished look in a couple swipes with some light finger blending. I'm not one to take the time to apply different shades of powder eyeshadow, and deal with blending and fallout, so these work well for me.

on 2/9/2016 8:05:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I own this is in bountiful beige, it's a shimmery beige that's very subtle on me. I don't usually wear a lot of eyeshadow, or any really so I like this for a little bit of something on my eyes. It's not super noticeable but it does add a nice sheen and a hint of colour. The stick applicator is quick and easy and I can just swipe into my crease and blend with a finger. It lasts all day and doesn't crease or fade. They only thing I didn't like is that my shadow is a little loose in the pencil and falls forward a bit when I apply. Not sure if the one I got is faulty or if this is common with these pencils. Would repurchase.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This in Bountiful beige is a HG (holy grail) product for me. I love it for the same reasons that many other dislike this.

_Colour_ (bountiful beige)
On fair-light skin this gives a nice sheen rather than a colour. It has a pale golden rosy base colour, but it doesn't really catch any on my skin. It's a perfect highlighter when I want my skin to look luminous without looking made up. I would say that it's a neutral-to warm colour that would suit most lighter skin tones.

_Formula_
The formula is very creamy and easy use. It really is like a soft crayon. On my dry skin it dries down a little, so it stays put without looking dry. Oilier skins might need to set it with a powder.

_Lasting power_
This fades slowly, but nicely. After 5 hours there is less product there, but never any creasing or blotchiness. It's easily solved by some reapplication.

_Packaging_
At first I found the Crayon-packaging was a bit childish and unwomanlike. Over time I have come to like it. After all, it is simple and timeless. The colour coding makes it easy to pick out the right colour. It's well made and small, so I often keep it in my purse. Usually I use it as a crayon and draw straight onto my face, saving a little time.

I have this in bountiful beige. It is a pretty shimmery neutral color and went on really smoothly. BUT it looks like nothing. Like a shimmery nothing. Like my lids just got oily. That's it.

on 8/19/2015 7:31:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I love this Shadow Tint Chubby Stick Eyeshadow in Lavish Lilac for its convenience! On those days I really can't be bothered to do much with my makeup or am in a super rush, it makes life easy. I like the application because you can just glide it into your lids and control the opacity by layering it on. It's a cream product but literally feels just like a buttery powder eyeshadow as soon as it's applied on the skin. Lavish Lilac has some minuscule flecks of glitter/shimmer and a cool grey undertone to it. I really adore it on light eyes, but especially green eyes! They just pop with the color. I suggest a primer to help it hold and stay put but it's really another super great product by Clinique! My grandmother gave me this as she's a Clinique snob and knows my love for purple shadow. The price is kinda ridiculous, but like I said for its convenience and the amount you need to cover your eyelids it's gonna last quite awhile. Make sure the caps snapped on well and it's perfect for travel. I would be interested in trying other colors. I would recommend this for beginners or makeup lovers alike.

on 6/11/2015 7:47:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I decided to purchase Clinique's Chubby stick eye tint in latte as I have developed an allergy to powder eye shadow , so I'd thought I'd give this a try. I've been using it for about 2 weeks and so far I have not had any adverse reaction to it. The colour is nice and natural with a slight sheen, it doesn't accentuate my crepiness of my eyelids. It glides on smoothly . It is a sheer eye tint but I find it is buildable , I quite like the sheerness on my aging skin. I find it does crease after a few hours , but I haven't used a primer due to allergy ( contact dermatitis) so using a primer may help . I'm very pleased with it so far , and plan on purchasing a few more in different colours .