Hada Labo UV Creamy Gel SPF 50 +

4.1

Water, ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, butylene glycol, isononyl isononanoate, alcohol,, dimethicone, PEG-12 dimethicone, polysilicone-15, glycol dimethacrylate crosspolymer, bis-ethylhexyloxyphenol methoxyphenyl triazine, sodium acetate hyaluronate, sodium hyaluronate, hydrolyzed hyaluronic acid, diethylamino hydroxybenzoyl hexyl benzoate, polysilicone-13,, ammonium acryloyldimethyltaurate/vp copolymer, polystyrene, polyvinyl alcohol, acrylates/C10-30 alkyl acrylate crosspolymer, triethanolamine, titanium dioxide, silica, hydrogen dimethicone, aluminum hydroxide, methylparaben, propylparaben.

on 4/14/2016 7:16:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Right. Pale olive skin that I like to keep that way in the summer, if possible, but I tan easily. Also dehydrated and very combination with hormonal acne. Kind of the ultimate test for skincare.

I got this last summer after some research and originally didn't love it - the finish and feel on the skin is outstanding, and it doesn't sting much if it ends up in my eyes after a few hours like a lot of sunscreens tend to do. But I felt like it aggravated my acne, and I got quite tanned a few times when wearing it hiking in the mountains.

Fast forward a few months. I switched cleansers, back to MAC Cleanse Off Oil, as I didn't feel like the lotion cleanser I was using did a good enough job. I went to Cuba for a little over a week and brought this sunscreen, along with another one I bought at the last minute. I didn't like the new one at all and ending up using this one most of the time, making sure I re-applied it regularly - and halleluja, it worked SO WELL. I hardly tanned at all, and I didn't break out. So, in conclusion; this is a lovely facial sunscreen with a beautiful finish - but you have to make sure you get it all off with a good cleanser, and re-applying is important. Well, duh. Honestly, though.

Will be ordering a new one for this summer.

on 11/27/2015 11:39:00 PM

Usually my face looks like a freshly deep fried kiwi fruit taken straight out the fryer. It looks especially greasy when I use moisturising sunscreen!

I've used pricey stuff like Jurlique to the budget end of the scale like Nivea. I've tried even the baby sunscreen and Korean BB cream gels but I end up looking like a wet seal or have that white chalky look of a street mime who has worked 8 hours.

Well....not today! This is my 2nd bottle and I guard it fiercely since my very pale husband has now taken a liking to using it. I usually use the Hada Labo Rohto Gokujyn Hyaluronic Acid Lotion prior, 'pat' it on and let it settle before applying the sunscreen.

I am well happy with the results. My skin looks great! I'll admit there's a smidge of dewiness but I don't look like an oily kiwi fruit anymore! I'm starting to get freckles so I add further sun protection when I go out by using an UV 40+ umbrella (wearing wide brim hats are annoying and mess up my hair style). Yeah, yeah.....I may look like an old Asian lady but at least I'm not getting sun burnt!

Speaking of being old, I think covering up in this crazy harsh climate (Australia) does actually work! A co-worker was being mean about me using my umbrella and wearing big weird sunglasses all the time. Well, the jokes on her when I told her my age.....b*t%h, nearly fell off her chair! (She thought we were the same age...buh bowww! I'm 15 years older than her LOLOLOLOL)

I buy it from ebay for around $AU18

To Read all 15 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Note: Ratzilla mentioned that this was discontinued and is being replaced by Hada Labo Koi Gokujyun Perfect UV Gel. I've heard the ingredients are the same and the order is the same with the only exception being silica is now hydrated silica. I'm hoping this the replacement is just as good, if not better.

For reference, I have dehydrated-normal skin. This is the first Asian sunscreen I've tried, and I'm really pleased with the thin lotion-like consistency and how light and moisturizing it is. I can easily apply 1/4 teaspoon of this to my face and have it set nicely in about 15 minutes. It does smell heavily of alcohol upon first application but that dissipates soon.

I am probably about NC30 in depth, and I have never noticed anything remotely resembling a white cast from this sunscreen. This sunscreen also acts like a primer for foundation since it leaves my face smooth and soft, although it doesn't have any pore-filling capabilities.

This is cosmetically elegant and very functional on my dehydrated skin, however I imagine oily skin types wouldn't care too much for it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought this sunscreen based on the many good reviews it got on various sites and was sort of excited to get. Sadly, it doens´t work for me. Like, not at all.
I have dry, sensitive skin that get aggrivated by, well, everything. The product contains a good amount of alcohol which seems to be the culprit here.
Even with my dry skin the texture is still kinda greasy and leaves your skin feeling uncomfartable, as if under a layer of something gross.

on 5/8/2015 11:17:00 PM

I really wanted to love this sunscreen, but it just didn't work for me - it left my face uncomfortably greasy and shiny after application.

********************************************************************************************************

UV Filters: Octinoxate (Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate), Parsol SLX (Polysilicone-15), Tinosorb S (Bis-ethylhexyloxyphenol Methoxyphenyl Triazine), Uvinul A Plus (Diethylamino Hydroxybenzoyl Hexyl Benzoate), Titanium Dioxide

Other: Water, Butylene Glycol, Isononyl Isononanoate, Alcohol, Dimethicone, PEF-12 Dimethicone, Glycol Dimethacrylate Crosspolymer, Sodium Acetate Hyaluronate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Hydrolized Hyaluronic Acid, Polysilicone-13, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Polystyrene, Polyvinyl Alcohol, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Triethanol Amine, Silica, Hydrogen Dimethicone, Aluminum Hydroxide, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

on 5/4/2015 10:21:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

The consistency is a light, creamy-gel fluid, but it takes a long time to absorb into my dry skin. I already moisturise separately so I now only reach for it on days where my skin is ultra dehydrated and I'm not in a rush to apply make up after. I layer on a quarter teaspoon and usually have to wait at least 20 minutes for it to sink in. Once it does absorb there is a noticeable hydration in the upper layers of the skin. It doesn't adversely affect primer or foundation as long as I let it dry.

The formula is non-irritating and I find it much more gentle and less alcohol content than most Asian sunscreens. It does have a very, very light scent in the tube that is gone by the time it reaches the face. It's soothing to apply because the texture is so soft and moisturising. Not even a trace of white cast.

When I visited Australia I get darker each day and my sunspots multiplied. It was winter, I wore a hat at all times, stayed in the shade, and reapplied this every 1 hour to my face and 2 hours to my body. I did not experience any redness or discomfort from sunburn though, so I'm happy with the SPF protection for UVB rays, but I'd like a higher PPD (or PA) rating to give me extra protection from those nasty UVA rays that make hyperpigmentation worse. This may not be a priority for some of people, nor should you feel you ordinarily need to apply a decent broad spectrum sunscreen like this every hour, but the Australian sun is mighty harsh year round and I have a lot of pigmentation issues like melasma and sun damage already, so I'm extra vigilant about reapplication and very demanding of my sunscreens!

I do like this sunscreen in a lot of ways and think it is superior to many sunscreens in both Asian and Western markets, but I'm going to keep searching for something with higher UVA protection and hopefully one that absorbs a little easier.

on 4/23/2015 1:27:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

My absolute HG. Just bought my 4th tube!! My skin is dry, this feels like a hydrating gel/cream. Doesn't sting my eyes, doesn't leave a white cast. Definitely works- I've gone down a foundation shade since I started using it! Would highly reccomend

Ingredients: Water, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Butylene Glycol, Isononyl Isononanoate, Alcohol, Dimethicone, PEF-12 Dimethicone, Polysilicone-15, Glycol Dimethacrylate Crosspolymer, Bis-ethylhexyloxyphenol Methoxyphenyl Triazine, Sodium Acetate Hyaluronate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Hydrolized Hyaluronic Acid, Diethylamino Hydroxybenzoyl Hexyl Benzoate, Polysilicone-13, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Polystyrene, Polyvinyl Alcohol, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Triethanol Amine, Titanium Dioxide, Silica, Hydrogen Dimethicone, Aluminum Hydroxide, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

I bought this 50 ml tube from ebay for about 14 dollars. I use this up in little less than 4 weeks when using the 1/4 tsp rule and only applying it to my face ( I used this during winter so I didn't use it down my neck).

Applying the right amount makes my face very shiny and greasy. A powder is a must. It burns like hell when coming into contact with eyes and other times the SS migrates and makes me just really teary. This was the major drawback that led me NOT to repurchase this SS again. I don't know what it was I reacted to. I used the rest of this SS on my hands as a moisturizer and sun protectant and I fount that it works really really well at this job. The tube is small and it fits easily in the medium/large school bags I carry (I'm in college).

As for its moisturizing properties I feel that it would work great for my dry face in summer but it doesn't do the job in the other months. I need a moisturizer before I put this SS on.

Summary: 3/5. Would repurchase but ONLY as a hand cream.

Pro: Good protection, works really well for rest of body.

Cons: Burns when in contact with eyes, not really moisturizing for someone with dry skin, medium price level that feels in your wallet if you are on a budget since you need to replace it frequently.

on 3/9/2015 10:20:00 AM

my skin loves it.

pros:
-absorbed very well, and goes well under the makeup.
- watery, and light.
- no white traces

cons:
- don't know where to buy it in uk.

on 10/25/2014 10:18:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I bought this based on some rave reviews. It's pretty affordable at ~$14 for 50 g and it's also on Amazon Prime right now, so you don't have to wait for it to come from Japan. I've heard this sunscreen described as "moist" and that is the perfect word. It is very moist. It kind of feels like my skin stays wet for a long time, but not in an uncomfortable way. It is PA++++ (which means UVA rating is 16+) which is pretty good. It also doesn't contain avobenzone, so I can layer this with makeup and it dosen't stain my clothing. It contains 3 types hyaluronic acids, which are good for your skin and keep you hydrated. It does contain alcohol, and I find that I can smell it, but it doesn't seem bothersome and it's supposed to be less alcohol than other Asian sunscreens. I actually just purchased my second bottle of this so I plan to keep on using it!