Fendi theorema body lotion

No Image

on 4/6/2017 3:23:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

It is absolutely heartbreaking that this perfume has been discontinued. Of all the scents I have worn and loved, it was my absolute, unequivocal favorite. I wore it during the happiest time of my life, discovered it during a wonderful holiday shopping trip with my sister at Saks, and strongly suspect that I will never find anything I love so much, nor will there will ever be another like it in my lifetime. I am deeply regretful that I didn't hoard multiple bottles of Theorema while it was still around...and affordable. (Actually, I did but they were all stolen, along with nearly all of my family's multi-generational heirlooms and almost everything else of value that I ever owned, but that's a sickening, evil and tragic story for another day.) My Theorema-wearing days mark the happy period of my life before that horrifying incident...and all the trauma which followed...and its existence provides a clear distinction between the "before and after" of that unspeakably terrible demarcation of time.

One of my favorite childhood memories involves my grandmother's shadow box and the amazing perfume collection she displayed inside of it. One of those perfumes was an Evening of Paris miniature I used to love to take out and sniff (and sometimes, on special occasions, I'd even guiltily dab on a little bit).

Theorema is this generation's Evening of Paris and I only wish that I had a miniature of it to display in that shadow box my beautiful grandmother passed down to me (and by some miracle is still with me). Perhaps it is for the traumatic associations and reasons I list above that I so love the review I'm sharing below. It comes from a website called "theblacknarcissus.com," and there is no way I could ever describe it so perfectly. Enjoy:

"Theorem. There is something in that keystone of pure mathematics that hints at astral beauty and the awe of the unknown: the study of space and structure, of change and motion, the meshing of abstraction and logic. The tracing of patterns in an unfathomable chaos.

In a sense, there is a reflection of this in Fendi’s defunct perfume from 1998, Theorema. A wonderful balancing act of legible complexity, it is a harmony of disquiet and languid lean whose soft, diaphanous features drape over a garnet bone structure. Both supine and regal, the abstraction of the composition seems perfectly logical when worn on skin: comfortable and eclectic. Like those algebraic abstractions, there is a sense of something ethereal and outside of ourselves and yet, at the same time enveloping us.

A spiced, woody oriental with a gourmandish character (but whose sweetness is light years from the ethyl maltol caked sugar vats of many current launches), this perfume shares a bloodline with those fiery powerhouses of the 80s – Opium, Cinnibar and Fendi’s own Asja – by way of the mellow cedar fruits of Lutens. However while the fingerprint of those Lutensian spiced compotes can definitely be felt throughout Theorema, here it’s as if that leitmotif has been sketched on rice paper: hefty notes of spice and woods, of vanilla pods, fleshy florals and fruits are made diaphanous and wear like gossamer. Opening with a dusky orange bolstered by nutmeg, cardamom, pepper and rosewood and making it’s way through a floral heart – jasmine, rose, leathery osmanthus, ylang all freckled by cinnamon – to a sumptuously teaky base of benzoin, guaiac, sandalwood, amber and patchouli, this perfume is a stunning drape between disquiet and extreme comfort. Theorema is sunshine and earth: puffs of silk and fire.

The orange note, delectable and almost russet coloured, coupled with the chocolatey benzoin and patchouli makes for a much lauded mirage of confectionary. Specifically, for a time, it radiates a giddying apparition of Terry’s Chocolate Orange scooped out greedily from the woolly toe of a Christmas stocking. I must emphasise though that this is a very grown up version of a bonbon: there is no refined sugar here, nothing cloying in the least and it is instead toasty and cosseting, delicious and entirely of an adult palate.

The white florals in the heart, so often fleshy and lush, here take on an almost carnation like zing – the baseline of the spices buffs them with gauzy shades of chestnut and hazel, rich and piquant with their innate abundance peaking through as if glinting with caramel tones in lamplight. The rose, washed over by the milkiness of sandalwood seems baked by a late autumnal sun. Instead of buxom and bold petals, this is more a milky, spiced pomander of dried burgundy rose petals and cloves.

But while this perfume retains a lush and womanly aura, the woods and spices lend it a very slightly dirty (but not animalic) edge. There is a wonderful tension poised between delicate notes and heavy ones, a leathery laced and tangy hem that hints at secrets and misadventure. It is a perfume midway between the woolen snug of a cuddle and the sticky, sweet trace of nectarous booze on lips, a mingling of incense with gingerbread. It is all welcoming and warm smiles in that broad Italian way; confident and complex, restrained enough for elegance but hinting through fogged windows at delicious kinks. The sum total is sensuous and knowing, comfortable and self-assured but with a quite intoxicating hint of something more disarming: just underneath the coze and spiced panettone is a frisson, the whisper of cat-flick liner and a nightcap Gauloise.

Truly this is a beautiful, intelligent fragrance but despite all the virtues I’ve written about above, it flopped horribly. Its surprising lack of tenacity perhaps was a factor – a downside of the admirable transparency of the composition is that is does wear lightly (although the parfum – a true unicorn! – is richer and more unctuous as you’d expect.) But released as it was in 1998, it shared shelf space with the likes of Baby Doll, J’Adore and Rush and perhaps this auburn elixir was just too...

on 8/14/2007 1:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I put some on this morning , and 5 hours later it still smells amazing!! Too bad this was D/C its a beautiful warm fragrance.

on 7/31/2003 3:08:00 PM

BEAUTIFUL fragrance. The one I dreamed of! I gotta find out if the fragrance is as good in the perfume as it is for this! I couldn't find this anymore and then discovered Lavanilla's Grapefruit and vanilla lotion. Same scent!

on 11/14/2002 3:01:00 PM

I agree with the lady below, the lotion is something special. It replicates the EDP exactly. First you smell the fresh top notes, then it develops the spicy heart notes, and fades into the sweet base notes. Moisturizes fine, sinks in fast, not sticky. The full name of the lotion I believe, Shimmering body lotion. Didnt detect any shimmer though, but its okay with me.

this has a nice, lavish looking matte gold tube. when you whip it out of your purse, it just screams "im using fendi lotion!" ha ha. if its possible the plastic even seems to be of a higher quality. this smells identical to the perfume. its so nice that i ration it out for special occasions.

Popular Lotions / Creams