Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC) Mandelic Acid Toner

Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC)  Mandelic Acid Toner
Mandelic Acid Toner

Purified Water, SD Alcohol, Propylene Glycol , Mandelic Acid (5%), Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Extract, Polysorbate 20, Butylene Glycol, Hydrastis Canadensis (Goldenseal) Extract, Malic Acid, Humulus Lupulus (Hops) Extract, Equisetum Hyemale Extract, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Extract, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Phytic Acid, Ascorbyl Methylsilanol Pectinate

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

So I'm new to using toners as an adult to be honest. I purchased this a week ago, and so far, so good.
I use this twice a day, after cleansing - i cleanse with water in the morning, and with oil at night.
This stuff gets any and everything left behind on your face. It's great exfoliator, and does a great job of removing dead skin. Within a week I'm noticing less prominent pores, fading hyper-pigmentation (my main issue), brighter skin, and a smoother texture.
There has been some flaking, but I'm pretty sure it's due to me still getting used to the product. I've also noticed that the patches or dry,dead skin, and closed comedones around my temples are gone. yay!
This product is a must. If you're sensitive then you can start using on alternating days until your skin is used to it.
I would not recommend using this on days when you are using a scrub on your face, or any facial cleanser that has any other acids. MUAC has a great customer service center that you can contact and go over your goals and current routine with.
Packaging makes the product easy to use and you do not need a lot. Use a cotton round (flat) versus a cotton ball. The scent isn't off putting to me but it is alcohol-y (SD alcohol is an ingredient). Doesn't burn, more like a warm tingle.
This will remain in my arsenal for a while. I will continue to post updates. It's a great product for the price. So much so that I'm slowly incorporating the Mandelic Acid serum and fade peel into my routine.
I chose the mandelic acid toner from the MUAC lineup because it's gentler than other acids and safe for darker skin according to MUAC. It is derived from almonds though, so if you're allergic, this may not be good for you. Also, you should know that this doesn't dry very quickly (the molecules in mandelic acid are larger than gylcolic, salicylic, etc, and need a few moments to absorb before you layer any other products on).
Hope this helps! :)

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

MUAC were onto something when they decided to create this one. It is a powerhouse. It provides all the benefits of the peels, but in a smaller, more frequent strength. This wins gold in accomplishing what the peels for some reason cannot do: Eradicate blackheads on my nose. I cannot attest this enough: my pores are as stubborn as a little brat when its begging for candy; A pain in the butt. The rest of my face is damn near flawless since I perfected my skin-care routine but the pores on my nose would not relent. I use this twice a week, and they are completely gone. It has only been two weeks since I began using it. The first wipe literally removed about 60% of them.

It cooperates well with my other products, in fact, I feel they work much better. It has led me to use my products less often in the week and perhaps save more money on them in the future.It unfortunately does dry my skin and I find it doesn't work as well when topped with an oil for some reason. Again, perhaps its just me. My skin has historically felt much better with lotions anyway.

The biggest plus of this has been in that it makes my neck and chest look beautiful. A long time ago I thought I had seemed to be acanthosis nigricans on my neck, since nothing I used would help clean my neck. Especially at the back, dead skin had a tendency to pile up. It had become my biggest aesthetic obstacle. It is officially no more. This was the biggest surprise of all. And a huge source of relief. The price markers for this are well worth it and accessible, especially when almost everything MUAC makes does work, unlike the majority of companies out there. It's a huge statement to make but it is refreshing to see a company know the meaning of honor. Whether you buy the sample or the larger bottles. I personally bought all three sizes. A bit OD yes, but I use the smaller one for travel, the 4 oz stays at my vanity, and the 16 oz is my refill supplier. It saves time and trouble as I figure out how often I will need to reorder from MUAC. Between this and the peels, I honestly look much better now than I did when I was 16, when I transitioned from awkward looking kid to into thank god, a nice looking woman. It's good to finally look how I feel. No it is not cockiness or narcissism, it is healthy self-confidence, and I worked hard to kindle it. Thank you MUAC.

To Read all 38 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I ordered a bottle of MUAC Mandelic Toner (and Mandelic Serum) and received it today. I couldn't wait to try it. I am using this product in hopes to tone my complexion, balance and control oil production, reduce or get rid of hyper pigmentation, and calm acne cysts, pimples and whiteheads, clear pores of blackheads and plugs.

Prior to using the Mandelic Toner: I tried a new Hair, Skin, Nail vitamins two weeks ago and within hours of taking the vitamins, I was left with 4-5 cystic nodules on my face and neck. I was forced to look like a diseased unicorn.

I am African American, 31 years old, and have suffered from acne for the last 20 years. My skin is oily, acneic, combination, pores are large, prone to scarring, hormonal and unpredictable. I'm too old for this sh*t and tired of always having to "take care of" or babysit a pimple. Nothing works on my skin. Nothing. I have tried Benzoyl Peroxide, pimple creams, Glycolic this and that, Retin-A, Differi Gel, birth control pills, drug store products, prescription products, all natural remedies, nothing works, crap from Sephora, etc. I don't drink juice or soda, drink tons of water, I'm not stressed, I exercise, and try my best to take care of my skin. Despite my efforts, nothing works. I digress, the 4-5 acne nodules have decreased in size only due to the passage of time, however some are still brewing under my skin but are flat. I now have four areas on my face that are discolored and UGLY thanks to hyper pigmentation, blackened skin, dead and flaking skin, dry skin, ugly texture, large pores - all from me trying to reduce their size and get rid of the cysts/pimples.

How I used the toner: I removed all of my makeup (light concealer, mascara, brows) with a makeup remover wipe, followed that with witch hazel and a cotton pad to remove any remaining traces of makeup. I took my shower and washed my face with Desert Essence (Tea Tree) face wash. I let my skin dry for a few minutes after my shower before applying the toner. I recommend using a cotton pad because a cotton ball will absorb way too much of the toner.

Upon applying the toner, it stung a little bit but wasn't intolerable (3 out of 10 on the pain scale). Initially, I noticed the cotton pad was dirty. I was quite surprised as I wasn't sure if it was dead skin or dirt, oil and grime. Mind you, I just got out of the shower and washed my face. I went through 3 more cotton pads that were dirty and kept doing it until I wiped my face and I was left with a clean cotton pad. This toner had cleansed my skin better than my face wash, witch hazel, or any other astringent that I have used in the past. I used a fresh cotton pad on my chest and was amazed at how dirty the cotton pad was also! My chest immediately looked brighter and my face felt cleaner.

I can't say that my face looks brighter (yet! fingers crossed) because I have so my issues going right now. I am going to update again in a week or two with any changes or results that I experience.

So far, I am satisfied with my initial experience.

Day 2 - Everyone who uses this toner says their skin looks like "glass". I now see what they mean, the day after. My skin has so much luster to it. I don't know what this "glassy" look means and this isn't quite the look I'm going for but I'm going to keep using the product until the bottle is empty. My face looks so shiny but it's not oily at all!

The area around my mouth feels very dry and tight as if the skin were about to break and peel.

I have a few dry patches with dead skin that can be peeled off under my eyes/sides of nose. This was nothing a warm washcloth couldn't take care of this morning. This could be due to the Mandelic Radiance peel, the toner or the serum - I'm not sure which product is the cause but I don't mind.

I truly hope my skin peels over the weekend with continued use of this toner. These blemishes and scars have got to go. I just want to go home, be ugly, and come to work Monday with clear skin.

UPDATED 6/30/2016: I'm now on my third (big) bottle. This is forever a staple in my arsenal, do ya hear me!? If you're debating, researching, thinking about it...just stop. Go to and order it. Thank me later.

on 1/20/2016 12:47:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This is the single best skincare product I own -absolutely holy grail! Using this toner twice a day has done more to clear my skin than anything else (retinol, BPO, acid peels, clay masks, etc. etc.)! I absolutely cannot live without it. Although it does smell like alcohol, it doesn't dry me out if I use a face oil afterwards -and I have very flaky, dry skin normally. The amount of makeup, dirt, and grime that comes off after using this toner, even after washing my face, is amazing. I think my skin may have a problem with shedding dead skin cells/exfoliating itself, so this toner has been a great help at really cleaning my face. I have baby smooth skin now, when before I had at least a few pimples everyday and really uneven little bumps/clogged pores everywhere. I only need a little concealer now on old acne scars for face makeup. I've stopped using foundation because this toner has made my skin tone so bright! I wouldn't say it helps with fading scars so much, but I use retinol and other acids for that. With liberal twice daily use, the largest size lasts me about 3.5 months, which isn't a lot unfortunately. But for me this is absolutely worth the price because I spend so much less on skincare now that I have my routine set and perfected -this was the item I've been searching for.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this stuff so much. I have sensitive, oily, acne-prone skin with some acne scars and some hyperpigmentation (freckles). I use this toner twice daily, the first couple of days it stung a tiny bit but after those first few days it goes on great. Within a week or so I noticed my normally congested pores were nearly invisible, my freckles were fading and my acne scars were minimized. These effects continued to improve my skin, noticing full effect a couple of weeks in. I now have an 8 oz bottle and this is definitely one of the most effective products I have tried for my skin issues.

this is too strong and when your skin gets used to it, you're gonna start breaking out just like i did.i have ised it for more than a year but after that it just never worked the same again and i was left with new breakouts everyday while using it and trying to make it work.i realized it was too strong for the now using the clean n clear essentials astringent with 2% salicylic acid and it works.breakouts started to disappear and im left with not so dry face.when i was using the muac toner my skin would look scaly and super dry after three days and my makeup just looked like it was just on top.i had more wrinkles when i was using it because i couldntfind a moisturizer that will complement the muac toner.another thing is it is too expensive for a toner because the clean n clear works better for just 1/3 of the price.i guess i have to say bye bye to mandelic acid and my acne!

on 5/9/2015 8:22:00 AM

Great product but here's the thing about this toner, it REALLY exfoliates the skin. It's pretty strong. Regular use will give a brighter and more even skin tone, but I definitely can't use this every day. For reference I have skin that is combo-oily, clog-prone, and not particularly sensitive.

I like how this leaves my skin refreshed and super-clean. And it is amazingly fast-acting in fading dark spots. However the scent is a little chemical-ish and this product is also a bit drying as well. But overall I have been so impressed with this, I am currently using my second bottle.

I'd definitely buy it again. Recommended!

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

All MUAC products are good, with no-nonsense packaging, results and the added benefit of good customer service. With the mandelic acid toner, it's been great for keeping pores clear, cystic acne at bay and really helping with bouts of seborrheic dermatitis that cropped up a few years ago out of nowhere. I use this daily, a.m. and p.m.; it doesn't sting on my skin (although others note that it does for them) or make it feel tight. I will keep repurchasing for sure.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Another product I love!

I have extremely sensitive skin and can use the toner AM and PM with no issues. I do not use it on the days I use a scrub or the Mandelic Acid 25% peel.

This product is gentle, yet effective. It's not filled with tons of fillers and junk ingredients. I love the fact that it's also not in a fancy bottle...So i know I'm not paying for the packaging.

It's helped even my skin tone and keep my pores clear. Very happy with this toner and it the 8oz bottle I ordered has lasted me almost 5 months of twice daily use.

I bought this toner based on the glowing reviews on the Family board. I originally bought the 1 oz size and upgraded to the 4 oz before running out.

For a toner, this is a miracle worker. It refines and decongests the skin.

I use this about 3-5 times a week. I have resistant skin that is prone to clogs and melasma. I think this product has helped both issues.

The packaging is plain, but effective. Frankly, that's one of the things I like about MUAC.

If you want an active that is not loaded with fillers and is virtually weightless on the skin, this is a very good product.

Popular Face Skincare Products