3.6

package quality

price range

Reviews

3 years ago

It left my hair so smooth and light feeling. Sephora gave me a sample of this, i tried it once but it was GREAT.

About reviewer (13 reviews)

AgeUnder 18

SkinCombination, Fair

HairOther

EyesHazel

6 years ago

This is well worth the money. I get soft, luxurious, full hair full of volume and health with this shampoo. I have tried many and this is in my top 5.

About reviewer (104 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinOther

HairBrunette

EyesBrown

6 years ago

My go-to shampoo for 5 years and holding. Worth every penny, even though it is expensive. My fine hair loves it and my hair is healthy, soft, silky, thank-you ALTERNA!

About reviewer (2 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairBlond

7 years ago

Having highlighted hair, I need a shampoo that doesn't make the dryness situation worse. This shampoo somehow (and much better than any other I have tried) seems to make my hair soft, shiny, and healthy. I always try something else because it is so expensive and always go back to it because I miss the results it gives. Perhaps it is the no sulfates, no poor ingredients, but regardless it is definitely My HG.

About reviewer (4 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair, Not Sure

HairBlond, Wavy, Medium

7 years ago

This is my HG shampoo, I simply love it. I never thought my hair could look so wonderful. I had literally given up on my hair looking even halfway decent before heat styling it until I tried this. Most shampoos, even high end ones made my hair frizzy, brittle, and limp. This makes my hair silky, soft and healthy looking while still providing me with volume and my hair is very fine so I need all the help I can get. My poor damaged hair is finally starting to grow! I find there can be buildup however (I'm super oily). But I find one wash at the end of the week with a clarifying shampoo, or in my case I use Philosophy's purity cleanser, does just the trick!

About reviewer (153 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair, Neutral

HairBlond, Wavy, Fine

8 years ago

i have a super sensitive scalp. we're talking itchy flaking ore patches. not nice. I have tried so many sulfate free shampoos and been dissapointed. they dont lather or the leave a heavy residue and dont wash out properly. This lathers beautifully and washes out clean. I really like this. It feels like ive had my hair washed at the salon everytime! Perfect!

About reviewer (109 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair, Neutral

HairBlond, Other, Other

3.0

8 years ago

After writing my first two reviews ever (see Redken Time Reset) I'm actually shocked, yet again, to see the ratings for Alterna Caviar Shampoo & Conditioner. The Redken was literally the worst shampoo experience of my life, yet it was fairly highly rated. So, onto my actual review... It was certainly difficult - to say the least - spending $32 a bottle of shampoo and conditioner, but I was pretty desperate after going from mediocre hair to horse hair in three washes (thanks, Redken!). Starting from the top, I wasn't thrilled with the smell, but it wasn't intolerable, either. The shampoo was surprisingly concentrated, and I'm not newbie to salon products. When I washed it out, my hair felt pretty squeaky clean, which actually alarmed me, because I thought it was drying my hair out. The conditioner was a little thin, I thought. I usually put in conditioner, then comb it through with a wide-toothed comb, then let it sit for a minute or two. Upon rinsing it out, my hair felt super, super soft. I let my hair dry naturally, but it actually seemed to dry a little faster than normal? I don't actually know if this is common, and quite honestly I don't really care either way. Upon drying, I actually was amazed how soft my hair was. After each new product I've tried over the last couple years, I always make my boyfriend feel my hair. His response is always the same: "er, yeah, feels okay hun", usually without him even taking his eyes away from the xbox. After trying the Alterna products, I had him do a feel-test, as usual. His response "er, yeah, feels...oh, wow!....that actually feels really great babe!". He was a little apprehensive on the price originally, but says I should keep buying it now. Go figure. In short, I'm incredibly, incredibly happy I tried this product. My hair feels like I'm a kid again and I couldn't be happier. I'm still incredibly amazed at how many bad reviews there are. I've noticed a there are quite a few reviews that seem to be lower because of the price, and I really don't think that's fair. The review is based upon product performance - price doesn't determine anything but the price. ***UPDATE*** I still have a half-empty bottle of Caviar in my shower. The first few washes were amazing. My hair felt light and weightless, yet moisturized and bouncy. Then all of a sudden, it started drying out my hair? My hair became dry, brittle and coarse. What the heck? The only thing I can think of is that maybe this has too much protein in it and would be better for someone that needs *repair*? What a bummer :( My hair is all natural - no color, heavy styling products or styling tools.

About reviewer (6 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair, Not Sure

HairBrunette, Wavy, Coarse

EyesGreen

1.0

8 years ago

this whole line from alterna from the price point to the product performance is horrible to say the least. i dont think ive ever seen so many ingredients in every single one of there products, not only will that diloot the product but not to mention 1 in 5 people have some kind of allergic reaction to any of there many extracts they put into all there products. mi VERY allergic to garbanzo bean oils or anything to do with garbanzo beans and the oil is in a couple of there products. just my 2cents worth (: bottom line theres way better brands out there joico goldwell pureology redken kenra loreal

About reviewer (183 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair, Neutral

HairBrunette, Curly, Medium

EyesBrown

9 years ago

I was skeptical about this shampoo at first, the name caviar just doesn't sound very true to me in a shampoo. But a friend of mine insisted that I'd give it a try and I did hear many positive reviews about it. I have to say I am very happy with the result :) I still don't believe there is caviar in it, but my hair is shiny and voluminous every time I use it! I've tried other sulfate free shampoo and it just didn't do the same as Alterna. Although the shampoo is pricey and almost scent-free, I would probably still purchase it again!

About reviewer (3 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium

HairBlack

EyesBlack

2.0

9 years ago

This is a review for the 3 minute shine boost. I only had a sample so I have no idea of price and packaging. This product added a slight shine to the hair but the results were not remarkable so I would not repurchase.

About reviewer (208 reviews)

Age30-35