St.Tropez Self Tan Dark Bronzing Lotion

Self Tan Dark Bronzing LotionSelf Tan Dark Bronzing Lotion

2.8

on 1/16/2017 3:43:00 PM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

This was a waste of money. I read several good reviews and decided to try it. I have olive skin and use sunless tanner year round, and I think I have tried just about every brand!! This product hands down was hideous. It gave my skin no color at all, nothing. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

So...I kind of bought this by mistake, planned to return it, and then I was like eh F it I'll give it a shot. After having read some reviews, I decided not to go all-in, and I just applied it to my lower legs over a pre-existing ST -I had been using a few products (sprays/lotions) to achieve/maintain over the last several weeks.
The application was a bit green, but I'm nothing if not open-minded, and I had hopes that this "dark" lotion would provide a dark tan. When I washed it off the next day, not only had it not given me any color, IT REMOVED THE TAN I HAD PRIOR TO APPLYING IT! Whole tan - gone. I actually started laughing when I saw my pale colorless shins. Needless to say, I will not be repurchasing this, and I certainly do not recommend.

I thought this stuff was going to be wonderful when I first bought it.. I did everything I was supposed to, exfoliating circular motions when applying everything, still it goes on streaky and splotches, looks like you literally smeared yourself in mud ☹ however the color is fantastic and the following day when you take a shower all that nastiness is gone and you are left with a nice brown glow, it's horrible though if you put this stuff on before going somewhere, very embarrassing and self conscience to say the least… So I guess if you just have a day to lounge around your house and put the stuff on I guess it's ok, do not recommend putting the stuff on if you have a prior engagement however, I really want to give it five stars very disappointed in St. Tropez, as I do use other products of theirs and they work fine and they really look good they really look natural but this one is just a bummer for me

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

This is the worst.

I'm used to using the Bondi sands mousse, and when I was in a rush one evening I bought this St Tropez lotion because it was all I could find.

I could hardly see this when applying it to my skin. Have they changed the formula? Because everyone says they look green upon application.

I was left a streaky, blotchy mess once the product had dried and become a little darker. Merely because I couldn't see where I had or hadn't put any product.

I'm so embarrassed to even go outside

Thanks St Tropez for ruining my confidence. I'm sticking to Bondi Sands mousse forever

on 6/6/2016 10:00:00 PM

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? Is it God?
No, but it's St. Tropez Self Tan Dark lotion, so it's pretty damn close.

This is the holy grail of self tanners. I repeat - HOLY GRAIL!!

I like my self tan like I like my men - BLACK. If it's not then it's money wasted to me and I find the whole process pointless.

Anyway, let me take you through the journey of this majestic goodness.

Firstly, for those wanting a sutle, light bronzing colour - this is not the product for you. Instead, maybe opt for the lighter St. Tropez shade (the one in the white bottle). Yes, it is what the product describes - DARK. I saw the photos on here with people looking the colour of Shrek and have to say I cannot relate. The product does have a green-tinge when applied as it has a green base. But fear not - it will come off when showering and will reveal a gorgeous even-tanned Queen!

Recommendations: As with all self tanners I recommend apply with a mitt. Also apply in circular motions as this gives better coverage. Use sparing too as a little bit goes a long way.

This self tanner did not come off in patchy dry speckles, instead it just fades off evenly.

In conclusion, this is my favorite self tan. It lasts about 5 days on me. Yes, it is a bit pricey but the bottle will last ages, trust me. To me it is worth every cent :)

on 5/16/2016 8:25:00 AM

This review is for the St. Tropez Dark Self Tan Lotion (green and teal bottle).

The short - this turned orange on me.

I followed all instructions to a T - exfoliated day before and day of. Applied moisturiser to dry area's. Purchased and used the mitt (this is a MUST - don't think about applying this lotion without it). Let air dry for about 20 minutes then put on my PJ'S and went to bed. Left product on for about 8 hours. Then washed off.

The product had a 'dirty' look to it when I woke up in the morning, which truth be told I kinda liked. It was a dirty brown but still had hints of green in it. Upon showering, that colour changed (it did not mess up my bathtub as some reviewers indicated). This did not turn me dark at all. In comparison, I was maybe a shade or two darker.

I went outside in natural light, once outside I saw what colour I REALLY had and my heart sank. I was orange! I was so embarrassed I had to go inside and wear a long sleeve shirt and pants.

For the price - this is definitely not worth the hype. The application was fairly easy. There was no streaking. No overly unpleasant odour. But I don't care about price or application ease or odour. I care about how this looks - and it's a big fail for me!

A PS for people who are still going to purchase this:

I've seen people in video's slathering this stuff on. DON'T. Start with a light coating of the lotion first. You can also add more but you can't take away. And if you infact turn orange, you'll be thankful you didn't over apply the lotion.

Purchase the mitt. The lotion is almost black and the colour I developed on legs and arms I would NOT want on the palms of my hands. The mitt made application so much easier too.

This is not something you put on and go out. Do it before bed. Let it soak in.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

I usually don't write bad reviews unless the product is REALLY bad. Well, St. Tropez, you've earned your spot in my worst beauty products ever list.
I've used the Dark Mousse with MUCH better results but I thought to give the lotion a go since my skin tended to be dry. I thought the change in formula would be beneficial.
Oh no no no.
When I first looked at the lotion the color was BLACK which I immediately was jumping for joy since my already tanned skin needs all the color it can get. I bought the St Tropez mitt and I was ready to tan. I knew the color would be a nasty green from using the mousse previously before but holy ba-jeebus this color was definitely green. The worst part was that it was extremely difficult to rub in well and not have it be streaky. The formula is very sticky and FORGET about rubbing it in with just your hands and gloves. Thankfully I bought the mitt otherwise it would've been a disaster. Keep in mind I'm a self-tanning "expert" and I exfoliated the heck out of my skin before. Yet the application was still terrible. It took a fairly long time for it to dry and I feared my clothes as I put them on to go to sleep. As I showered the green was washing down the drain.
However I will say the color pay off was nice. Not ideal but good. Definitely not worth the $44 I spent at Ulta for it. Do yourself a favor and grab the mousse if you want to try the Dark formula.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Can't believe how much money I wasted on this. The reviews for St Tropez are so amazing, I was sure it would be a hit ! Very sticky and feels like it never completely dries, is a kind of odd color, and it gets patchy after only a day or two. I've tried every variation of moisturizing, before and after, or just after. Still the same results. The stickiness is what bugged me most, though. This dark version also leaves you rather green looking. Do not use it on your face either !!! I am not very prone to breakouts and this made me breakout. I've tried using it many times, and it always made me breakout when I used it on my face. I recommend Fake Bake Flawless instead, way better and way cheaper. The Fake Bake smells great, gives an awesome brown color, and lasts quite awhile. Dries instantly too !! My sheets smell permanently like this St Tropez crap, no matter how many times I wash them. It's strange actually, I never thought the smell was necessarily strong. It is definitely not a nice smell though. Skip this product and save your money.

on 12/31/2013 10:49:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

First up, I'm with Kelchasepeas - the colour of this stuff is simply astonishing. I've used all the other St Tropez products and love them so I thought I'd try this one out as I got a fabulous 3 for the price of 2 deal on this product.
The standard St Tropez range goes on as a color that at worst, makes you look a little dirty. But this one? It goes on, and remains a bright green shade, which would be convenient should you wish to camouflage yourself naked amongst some shrubbery, otherwise there is just no way known you could leave the house with this on. It's been 6 hours since I put it on, and I'm still green! I'm relatively fair skinned, which may explain why the green is so startlingly bright (there's a picture of my legs standing up attached to the review).
Maybe I was in denial but I thought blasting myself with the hairdryer would cause the product to morph into brown, which of course didn't happen. It's also really sticky, and rubs off onto things quite easily so stay very well clear of light colored anything. In short, this whole green thing is something St Tropez REALLY should have put in the product description.
To make the whole exercise viable, this product would need to be used: 1. at night, 2. wearing black clothes and socks to bed to avoid staining bedclothes, 3. after informing your partner/family that you are about to use a product that will turn your skin green. In other words, don't just slap it on after your partner has gone to sleep without warning as they may react badly to waking up next to a green imposter of you.

I'll add to this after the product has fully developed into a (hopefully brown) tan.

Ok so it's now 24 hours later, or should I say 24 loooong hours later having been serenaded with "It's not easy being green..." by my partner (funny first time, no so much next 20+ times). I had a shower and the green color washed off leaving a very light tan that was maybe about 3 shades darker than my usual fair complexion. It wouldn't even rate as olive, more of light beige, and certainly not dark.

I hope the sewerage processing plant that services my area is efficient, as the green literally poured off everywhere and splashed the shower walls, and finally rubbed off on the white towel.

I applied the product with the mitt, and retrospectively I think this product requires liberal slapping on using gloves. I'm going to have to do a second green coat, which I'm not best pleased about. At least at this rate, I'll use up all three bottles relatively quickly.

To add to points 1, 2, and 3, number 4, would be to not consider any intimate contact with your partner after you put this stuff on. It just goes everywhere. Enough said.

Another 24 hours later, and a second coat, applied with gloves........this was the trick. After washing off the second green coat, the color of the tan is just fabulous. As mentioned, I have fair skin, and it now looks like I've spent a few weeks at a resort. Even better, the tan hasn't settled into my pores, and is perfectly even despite being absolutely slapped on.

So this product should be applied with those lightweight disposable gloves, liberally, at night, and when you can cover yourself with black clothes and socks to prevent wrecking your bedding. The result is very natural, flattering, and magically diminishes the appearance of cellulite and stretch marks.

Despite the whole green thing, I'd purchase this product again.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I brought this lotion for £36, I don't mind paying for a decent tan, really I don't but its got to work.
So, the packaging is average. Standard bottle with a pump.
It doesn't smell like a fake tan, at the moment, it's floral perfumed which actually I don't like I'd rather just smell like fake tan for a few hours instead of a tarts handbag.
The colour, where shall I start. It's green. Not a little bit green. Not brown with green undertones, not tinted green, it's fully freaking green!
I love green it happens to be my favourite colour, but that doesn't mean I want to walk around like a Martian from outer space. And that's what I look like. No, really.
I posted a photo, some of the comments I got were- shrek, Incredible Hulk, kermit the frog. The list was endless.
I'm green.
This isn't at all practical for people that do their tans in the day time, and still go about their daily business.
No no no
You will want to be staying In until the tan develops and has been washed off, Unless its Halloween...

It's harder to rub in than the original. Usually i do my tan and I feel confident that it looks smooth and that il wake up the Next day looking one colour all over and pretty much even.
I have no confidence in this tan at all. I'm laying on my bed thinking of Washing it off quickly before it has the chance to develop.

I applied it as usual with latex gloves, and then buffed the excess off with a buffing mitt.
It still looks streaky and patchy. Some bits are dark green some bits are lighter green and some bits are really patchy- even after buffing.
I'm off for a night out Saturday night, I'm glad I've done this tan on a Thursday because if worse comes to worse il have to have a spray tan to hide it.

Here's hoping for the best.
I don't hold much hope for a dark tan either , from what I've seen online it gives pretty much the same colour as the normal one.
Il edit my review when I've washed this off
Which by the way feels wet and sticky and disgusting to lay in.
The other one is the same so no difference there.
So far over all I'm quite disappointed in this tan. And the only time I'd use It again most probably is for fancy dress (princess Fiona )

OK! So the tan developed I washed it off in the morning after around 13 hours of it being on, and my bath water was super bright green! I am a lovely shade of tan, which is fab, it is darker than the original one, but not by loads, if you wanted to be really dark I would recommend doubling up / re doing the tan again after the first wash off
I have actually gonna a natural shade of tan it's not at all orangey.
They darkness is comparable to that of a spray tan done at a salon which is nice.

So regardless of being green and smelly I would purchase this again because the results are good!!