Jerome Russell Punky Colour

Jerome Russell Punky Colour
Venus With VenusBlue Hair

4.2

on 10/24/2016 3:49:00 PM

I use this in plum+purple mixed in with my shampoo (Maui Moisture or Keralogie) to maintain my dyed purple hair, and I love it!

I get my roots bleached and dyed professionally but I can go 8 weeks between coloring by using this with shampoo and then using Overtone extreme purple daily conditioner. (I wash 2-3x/week.) People comment on my hair constantly, and it stays vivid and shiny!

One note: yes, of course it stains. That's a good thing--this is fantasy semi permanent dye. It's only purpose in the world is to stain things, especially hair. If you are careful, rinse your shower, and sleep with a towel over your pillow (I do sleep on a brown towel every night--it's just part of the routine now), your fantasy hair should be pretty low maintenance and long-lasting. By using it with shampoo, it is much more rinse able and I have never had a problem with staining. I use a dedicated hair towel that is dark blue so no obvious issues there.

Great stuff! Excellent staying power for the money.

PS If you want dark purple, go with plum instead of purple.

on 9/30/2016 2:53:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I tried the platinum toner on the palest of yellow hair, ya know, that lovely 'inside of a banana peel'. It turned my hair bright lavender instantly! I had to fade it with vitamin c and dandruff shampoo and admittedly then was like stark white so... however I must say that my roots were slightly darker yellow and it toned them right away to platinum. This is a strong toner for more yellow hair. If your hair is truly that light, stick to manic panic virgin snow. Oh but the smell yummmm like grape soda!!!!! I freaking love it just for that and would use again, & try out maybe the pink diluted.

on 5/24/2015 10:51:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

Very unimpressed with this one. I heard good things on the hair dye site I go on, so I gave it a shot since I thought it was the last bottle at work (we ended up getting more anyway.) I got "Purple" which looked purple in the bottle but is extremely magenta in real life. *DO NOT BELIEVE THEIR PHOTOSHOPPED IMAGE FOR THIS COLOR* It's extremely off, and it actually annoys me when I google it. I heard the "Plum" color is more 'purple' but we don't carry that one and not only that, the color pay off hasn't been great either. I used a little bit to punch up a faded spot on my hair (I mix colors, so I don't care if it's uniform, but I like it to be in a similar family or certain colors so the over all look is what I want. Currently it's like violet and teal so I'm leaning towards cooler colors, not warm magenta.) But aside from not really liking the color, it also faded within a few washes. I don't mean a pretty pastel fade, I mean just faded looking and dull.

I usually use Pravana Violet which is pretty mid toned purple, maybe slightly more blue but it's an amazing color that lasts really really long. This can't hold a candle. (Although I will add that Pravana Wildflower, which is similar in color to this, also fades really quickly, but is more saturated and prettier imo. Recently, their Violet was coming out pinker like this color and they pulled it and reissued it. I wish Jerome Russel would realize this shade is NOT a purple.) I ran out of Pravana so I figured I could just use what I have to mix with other blues and make a more 'purple', but even then it doesn't last very long and I find I have to re-apply it almost after every wash. Another draw back is that I usually heavily dilute Pravana since it's sooo strong, so one tube will last me a very long time. I use this full on and it doesn't last at all. So even though Pravana is *generally* more per tube (unless you get it from a licenced beautician shop) it lasts far longer and ends up being 'cheaper'.

The plus is that since it's so weak, theres no color run off. Yay.

So even though some people really like this, I'm totally not into it. There's so many better dyes out there.

on 2/4/2015 4:19:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Best dye out there!! When I color my hair crazy colors this is the only brand I buy and trust! It lasts such a long time! The color range is good 🙌 Ive been using midnight blue and I love it I also used alpine green back in high school it was the nicest green I have ever tried tbh omg I love pinky colour!!!💕💕

on 7/12/2014 8:51:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

My favorite dye of all time! Its a very creamy dye, thicker than manic panic but easy to work with. It has a grape scent, which you may not like but I enjoy.
I've only used plum and violet, but they cover so amazingly and last for a long time. You don't need a white base for these colors to show up. The product is very pigmented and very conditionioning. These colors lasted for 3 weeks until they needed touch ups.

I've dyed my hair so many colors, so how come I've only tried two from punky colour if its my favorite? Well, its SO hard to find. The only place that sells this dye is a select Ulta about 45 minutes away and they don't carry many colors. Wish it was more widely available.

on 3/17/2014 1:33:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I adore this brand of dye. It was given to me as a gift in flamingo pink and I used it to dye some previously bleached ends on my hair. Having never dyed my own hair before, obviously I was cautious. Usually, my mantra is leave it to the hairdresser, she's a professional for a reason. But this time, I though why not? I psyched myself up and went ahead with it and I could not be more pleased with the way it came out! The packaging is easy and simple, and while it did have a very strong grape-y smell, I found it a lot nicer than that chemical smell that most dyes give off. It went on easy enough. I've heard other people complain about the mess, and it will stain clothes, but some of it comes out. If you get it on other surfaces, as long as you wipe it up quick it won't stain. I would advise taking a sponge with you into the shower when you rinse out the dye and wiping down your shower immediately, or yes, it will stain. As for colour, y hair held the colour really well! I didn't have to re-dye for over 2 months. Yes, it faded, but it fades nicely, this colour. It just went a paler pink. (Originally it was more of a dark fuschia-pink, quite lovely). There was a little bit of bleeding onto my shirt collar during the night when I slept for the first little while, but I tend to sweat in my sleep, so it was only due to moisture around the neck area. But my white pillowcases came out unscathed! There was a lot of dye still coming out also in the shower when I washed it for the next couple weeks. I don't need to wash my hair very often, so that's really only about 3-4 washes. I would be a little bit careful with towels and things, but I didn't have any problems with bleeding onto my towels. All in all, a fabulous product, and I didn't experience any of the problems with bleeding or fading that others seemed to be having. I'm sure it all depends on your hair type and how you care for your hair. I would suggest washing your hair thoroughly and blowdrying before dyeing, but don't condition, as that will block out the colour. I also use a shampoo that is easy on colour. Apparently my hair is quite absorbent, so it may just be that my hair absorbs colour well. You won't know until you try it how it works on you personally. I would highly recommend it, you can't go wrong with Punky Colours!

on 6/27/2013 4:00:00 AM

I love the color pigment that this dye has! I also love how long it lasts and that it doesn't smell bad. The only thing I didn't like was that it's quite messy and bleeds onto towels like no other after showering. I highly recommend this dye but just be careful of the messiness.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Punky Color is a great semi permanent fashion color/stain. Like all, it is quite messy but with practice, it is easy to manage. Personally I found this product to last longer than Manic Panic, and I take all precautions to prevent fading. The only downside is this bleeds like a mother. I used a towel on my pillow case - as long as the color was in, it bled. That being said, for the price and how long it lasts I will still repurchase.

on 5/19/2013 12:40:00 AM

This was my first time dying my hair such an odd colour. I used Alpine Green over bleached streaks in my hair.

-Dying. I didn't do it myself. Instead, I got a hairdresser to bleach my hair and then put the colour in it, since I suck at dying my own hair. :)

-Washing-Okay... I was expecting some staining, but not as much as it did! I didn't rinse it as throughly as I should have the first time, and bam! My face, neck, back, hands and shirt were turquoise. Nail polish remover is your friend.

-Colour-Since I used Alpine green, I was expecting it to be a lot darker... its shade was closer to the Apple green, so I was slightly disappointed. But my hair has been dyed for two and a half months now, and while the colour has faded, it is still very beautiful, and has faded to varying colours.

-Lasting-As I said, two and a half months so far. There are some parts where it is nearly blonde again, but the majority of it is still a vibrant green. I like the staying power. I am hopeful it will fade completely away eventually though.

-Use again?-Yes! I am planning on dying it Atlantic Blue next. My whole head this time :D

-kiokukara

on 5/15/2013 7:52:00 AM

love it! smells good and stays on for about a month :)

Popular Hair Products