Physicians Formula Youthful Wear Cosmeceutical Youth-Boosting Illuminating Face Powder

ingredients: talc, zea mays(corn startch), dimethicone, nylon 6/12, nylon 12, octydodecyl stearoyl stearate, sodium hyaluronate, ceramide 3, laminaria digatata extract, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, olive glycerides, dimethiconol, magnesium silicate, silica, zinc stearate, tocopherol, benzyl alcohol, caprylyl glycol, dehydroacetic acid, hexylene glycol, phenoxyeyhanol, fragrance, iron oxides.

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

What I love about it:

This is a good, hypoallergenic Physician's Formula powder. It doesn't irritate eyes, and it's gentler on skin than some of their other powders--it's also very finely milled and thick enough that you can use it as a foundation and it covers even dark broken capillaries.

What I don't like: This is very light peach when it starts out, and it doesn't turn paler on skin; it also oxidizes. It's a light peach when it starts out, and then it turns darker. If you're very fair, this is not for you. My dislike of it is only related to shade--I wish they made a paler color.

on 2/18/2016 5:25:00 AM

Ordered this online because I heard it was a dupe for MAC MSFN. Its definitely not. Its just a regular matte based powder with sparkles in it. It doesn't have the non sparkly luminous finish that MSFN does. Pass for me.

To Read all 22 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm pretty sure this is my HG powder. I don't use alot of powders anyway, but this one is so finely milled that it doesn't accentuate pores or fine lines very much. Alot of it will, but not as much as others I've used. It's got a very light amount of fragrance but it isn't much so I don't mind. It gives a nice healthy glow. Beautiful formula, nice packaging. Decent price. I will repurchase this one.

on 1/28/2016 7:47:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

None of the brick & mortar stores in our area have been stocking Youthful Wear Illuminating Powder, so I purchased mine in the translucent shade from Amazon. This powder is quickly becoming the one I most reach for, and translucent works very well for my pale NC10-15 complexion. I've been using it over a tinted moisturizer or over a BB cream to set the product for longer lasting wear. I love the illuminating aspect, it really does proved a subtle (in my opinion) amount of lustre that creates the illusion of healthy glowing skin. After a dusting of this powder, I mist my complexion with rosewater in an atomizer and/or the Nyx Dewy Finish Setting Spray.

For those of you affected by fragrances in products such as this, I have to agree....I could happily forgo the scent of this powder. Ordinarily, I can deal with a mild powdery fragrance, but I concur with the comparisons of this powder's scent to that of the halls of a nursing home. It calls to mind some nondescript floral perfume with an underpinning of stale urine. I'm really not trying to be funny or disgusting, that is truly what the scent evokes. Fortunately for me, the scent seems to fade after a brief time, and perhaps is more readily eliminated by my use of rosewater and/or setting spray.

I leave this powder at home, only for use in the morning. After having read about the fragile nature of the domed compact, I don't want any mishaps. Also, as many of you have already pointed out, the enclosed brush is not very practical. At home, I apply it with a fluffy powder brush or a kabuki brush. In my handbag, I carry Guerlain Les Meteorites in the Voyage compact with a brush for touch ups, which is much more elegant to take out of a handbag than the clunky domed compact of PF powder. Also, it'd be my luck for someone to catch a whiff of the urine-like PF powder, and think it was emanating from me!

Overall, I will definitely repurchase, despite the odor. Maybe PF will get the hint and stop putting a funky fragrance in this otherwise lovely powder!

I bought this at Rite Aid for like under $7(excellent sale)
I do not have the Mac skinfinish mineralize powder but this powder really is a good one. I cant really use mac it breaks me out. i would also light to add that covergirl radiance powder was also suppose to be a dupe for mac skin finish as well. I have it, but I feel like this is more of a performer because its less powdery maybe more finely milled and glowy.
I use this as an allover powder in beige i believe (nc 25) Its a great color match ontop of Bourjois healthy mix 52 vanilla. It really does give a noticeable yet subtle glow. in saying this I have an ambient light powder and its not the same but it a differnt type of subtle glow. the shimmer in the powder just gives off a nice glow. dont worry about looking shimmery.
I really like this powder, its gentle for sensitive skin and thats been an issue for me. it seems sheer so you dont have to worry about it looking cakey if you use a light hand. I will definately repurchase this, im kinda new to the physicans formula brand because I am very picky, but i will give it more attention because it seems very underrated and i say that being used to high end products. the packaging is a cute purple color and seems travel friendly just dont drop it. lol im combo oily acne prone skin
this does its job. try it i dont think you will be dissapointed

LOOVE THIS !! at first i didnt know what to do with it. i thought it was an all over face powder/setting powder. but it is too shimmery to use it like that. you will look sparkly and unnatural in my opinion. then i thought, DUH !! its THE perfect highlighter !! dust it on your cheekbones nose forehead everywhere as you would with a highlighter. it gives a great natural looking sheen without being too overly glittery or artificial like a lot of highlighters are. the texture is very nice and creamy. wonderful product id definitely recommend and repurchase

on 5/19/2015 2:41:00 PM

MAC MINERALIZED SKIN FINISH NATURAL DUPE! Love this powder,gives a natural finish while providing awesome coverage and isnt too chalky looking on the face :)

I love this stuff. I wear this as a light dusting over my final makeup (after blush, before bronzer) and I like to almost "buff" it into my skin with a soft powder brush. Wayne Goss talked about buffing powder into your skin to give it an absolutely flawless look, and I feel like this works really well if you want a bit of glow. Some reviewers mention that it's maybe a bit too shimmery for daytime, but I use it all the time for daytime and I haven't had any moments where I've thought it looked a bit too much. Also, the smell is really nice! Very light floral (not old lady floral) that's soft and does seem to disappear as wear time lengthens.

I bought this because I heard it was a dupe for mac msf . It's a very sheer coverage I only use it as a setting powder , however I feel like in attempt to give that dewy satiny finish that msf has they added gold sparkles in it . I wanted a more everyday Mattish yet dewy finish ( I know that sounds contradictory but msf gives you that finish ) and this one gives a much more iridescent finish . Great for a night out . Overall I'd give it a 4 because it's a bit too shimmery for an everyday product .

on 3/27/2014 7:04:00 PM

Hair: Red, Other, Medium

It's like I have some kind of compulsive disease where I absolutely must buy ALL the Physicians' Formula powders, and cannot even leave the drugstore unless I have checked to make sure I'm not missing one! But that's because they're good products, despite the disastrous packaging.

This one is no exception. I had to experiment a bit with application, because it's a pretty high-coverage powder. I am using a smallish blush brush that doesn't pick up much product (whatever the opposite of dense bristles are, that's what it has). I've been applying this powder on top of the virtually pigment-free Olay Fresh Effects BB Cream, and the look is terrific.

I get some coverage, but not so much it looks cakey. Just enough to even things out and look smooth. The match to my skin color is very good. I can't tell if there are any sparkles or glitter, but my face doesn't look dry or matte, so it's all good. As long as I keep my fingers off my face, it lasts in place for hours.

The packaging, as usual with PF powders, is ridiculously large. You do get a lot of product, but the two-level compact is just huge. I normally toss the brushes that come with these powders, but I've kept this one because it's different. I haven't figured out what to do with it, but it has much shorter, denser bristles than the usual PF powder brushes. It's more like an applicator of some sort.

As for price, PF is expensive for drugstore. But CVS and Rite Aid often have 40% off sales, which brings the price down to ordinary Revlon levels.