Torrente- L'Or de Torrente

3.3

on 9/24/2015 9:27:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Hmm, this is an unusual one. I expected an oriental mixture of coffee and roses but I don't get any of that. The opening is intensely green but not bitter, I'd say completely neutral in terms of sweetness and quite fresh. Surely not contemporary though, could by an early '90s scent by Clinique or Kenzo.
The angelica, magnolia and mandarin are noticeable. Then the roses slowly start to blossom, they are red and velvety. I tried hard to detect the coffee and it might be there but either is just a hint or I'm imagining things. Everything is really well blended, the woods really take over the drydown and last!
Quite an interesting fragrance but wouldn't recommend blind buying.

on 5/7/2010 2:48:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

[EDP 50ml]
The beautiful bottle attracted me at first sight.
It's Fruity at the begining. Then it goes to honey, vanilla & mocha in a creamy base on me. Sweet, but not too much. The scent brings me happiness. Love it.

on 8/28/2009 2:07:00 AM

I've read all the reviews and I agree with all of them, yes even the ones that love and hate this. It's a weird perfume and it's one of those that can come off as so different on everyone. Some get mainly coffee, some get no coffee - how can that be possible - it's the same scent?? Anyway, this scent seems to have alot of layers going on and I think what you smell mainly is due to your own chemistry, which explains everyone's different experiences - from rotten eggs, to creamy coffee, to spicy fruits! One thing is agreed though, it has alot of sillage and is very long lasting. And also it reminds me alot of Mira Bai, but this is definetely stronger. It basically opens quite fruity on me (mandarin/kiwi), there are definetely some spices and rose, and a some kind of gourmandy thing going on, but I wouldnt exactly say coffee, I can't really pinpoint it but its some honeyed gourmand concoction. I can (faintly) smell the cedar and woods in the base. I don't get much vanilla either. I can see why this is gag-worthy for some and I believe it is the roses - not just the roses but the way this single scent mingles with the others creates the faintest hint of rotten. I could still wear this though - at night, in winter and just a spray will do.

on 4/20/2006 11:26:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Great smelling stuff, rather unique. Coffee and baby roses in a cream base. Comforting and safe.

on 10/18/2004 11:44:00 AM

On me the rose notes were very powerful and long lasting, I kept hoping it would change with the drydown, but it really didn't. Smelled a lot like Grandma's rosewater mixed with Ivory soap. I got none of the musky/coffee notes. Product is *extremely* long lasting. I sprayed it 1x over a week ago and the jacket I was wearing at the time still wreaks of it--even tho I've worn it almost daily since then.

on 3/17/2004 5:13:00 PM

So many thanks to bela for sending me a sample of this scent! I had been intrigued by the scent ever since I saw the beautiful bottle for it. The juice is almost as good as the packaging.

I'm not a huge floriental fan, but this blend of rich roses, coffee, warm florals and something that smells of caramel is just grand. It was warm and feminine without overpowering me (or those around me) at all. Definitely something I will want around to keep me warm in the wintertime. continued >>

I scored a big free sample of this recently. I was encouraged by some of the reviews here, and very curious about the coffee scent thing. So, I put some on and for the first few minutes thought hmmm, pretty nice, not bad. But then, it reached right down my throat, tickled my gag reflex, and gave me a headache. It has some suffocating note in there that is unbearable to me. It was incredibly strong on me too, which didn't help. I had to shower after about a half hour of trying to deal with it. That said, the fragrance itself was all right. Not spectacularly interesting, but nice enough, when it wasn't gagging me. And no coffee smell revealed itself to me, just kind of a warm fruity very sweet scent.

on 8/23/2003 12:37:00 AM

I love this - and I don't get the overly sweet notes at all. Rather, I get a medium, slightly spicy coffee tempered with orange blossom and cedar.

So delicious I want to wear it every minute of the day.

on 8/9/2003 10:48:00 PM

I don't know how this can smell like "rotten eggs". It's a very elegant scent. More for evenings. I'll definitely wear it.

on 11/26/2002 9:12:00 AM

I was in Nordstrom with my mother when I happened to see the bottle for this when it had first been released. I sprayed some on and fell in love. It had and was everything people raved over: sweet, coffee notes and delicious vanilla. I had been walking around for 10 minutes, thinking I would go back to the counter to make a purchase of the L'Or de Torrente when I brought my wrist to my nose to sniff it again. All I can say is, Holy Mary, mother of God... I don't know what evil voodoo my body chemistry worked on the perfume, but, it had quickly gone from delightful to disgusting. It had somehow morphed into a very powdery, sickeningly sweet fragrance with a moldy/metallic quality. Actually, it was one of the rare times when I had to run to another counter to get alchohol to rub off the perfume. It's almost funny how alchemists long ago spent their lives in search of a way to transmute metal into gold and here I was able to transmute "gold" into rusted lead in about 10 minutes.

Popular Fragrances