4.2

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Amlactin seriously saved my skin.

This winter I was experiencing super dry, cracked, bumpy skin all over my body. I do have severe KP on my arms, forearms, upper back, booty and backs of my thighs, but I've never had small, red, singular bumps all over my legs; almost like small pimples. Plus, nothing was curing my skin's severe dryness, not even slathering on coconut oil day and night. I did some research and stumbled upon an article from Vogue a few years ago about how "the best cure for winter skin can be found in your drugstore" about how Lactic acid lotions and creams are the best cure for winter/dry skin. Then I began to see the amazing reviews about how this lotion haws helped people's KP and I thought it was worth the price to at least give it a go.

First impression: the smell. WOW. Not pleasant at all and it tends to linger on clothes sometimes. Definitely a very strong ammonia, pungent smell that will eventually fade, but I wouldn't recommend applying this before a date! The formula is thin, but it spreads nicely and doesn't feel "too" light at all.

Results: BEST. LOTION. EVER. In a matter of days my skin was transformed from rough and scaly to smooth and even. Those mystery red bumps went away and my skin has never felt this smooth and soft. I used to get random pimple-like bumps on my booty and on the backs of my thighs...no more! My skin is finally where I've always hoped it would be for years. I've been trying to heal my KP for a decade and this is the only product I have ever used that has delivered true results, not just the look of smooth skin, but actual smooth skin on my arms. My mother literally burst into tears after feeling how smooth my arms were, she's been right there with me in my struggles since high school with my KP. My arms still have some redness to them, but I found a different product to help with that. The combo of the two products has been truly life changing for me.

Overall Amlactin is a little miracle in a bottle. As long as you don't mind the smell and use it regularly, you will see results. Take it easy with things like tanning after using this lotion...my neck and chest suffered a little and I eased up on using it in those areas. I will be a regular Amlactin user for life.

on 12/2/2015 3:22:00 PM

This product is amazing for treating KP. My fiancé has had rough bumpy skin on the back of his arms for as long as he can remember, but he never knew it was a common condition with a name. When he finally figured out what it was, he did try a few home remedies. They were all messy and rather time consuming, so he never stuck with them long enough to see results. I had heard many good things about this lotion, but as his KP didn’t really bother him that much, I held off on picking this up for him.

But one day I saw a large sized bottle on sale at Costco, and finally caved and purchased it. I think it was around $17 on sale, which is pretty expensive for a body lotion (especially considering the large size is only 20oz), but it is worth it. After about a week of using it, his arms were significantly smoother, and at about a month of nightly use, his arms are almost completely smooth. I know KP can’t be cured, but this is such an easy way to keep it under control, especially if it’s something that really bothers you.

I also like using it on my arms and legs, too. I tend to have very dry extremities in the winter due to hot showers and super dry air that other lotions take way too long to get rid of. Some negatives: It doesn’t smell pleasant, but I only use it at night, so that isn’t a huge issue for me. The scent also fades rather quickly, but I am not sure I would be comfortable applying it in the morning and wearing it all day.

It also leaves a coating on your skin, which I assume is the protective moisturizing barrier. I am not sure if it just takes an incredibly long time to dry, or if it just never dries completely, but I am not a huge fan of feeling it on my skin for so long. I think more troubled skin types would appreciate the protection, though. I also LOVE how I can use this just a few times a week and still get lasting results.

To Read all 28 Reviews, Login or Join

on 11/30/2015 11:09:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I have "chicken skin" since I was a kid on my upper arms. I did my research, and came across the name of this lotion. I knew I had hopes that it'd work since AmLactin contains a meditative ingredient. It worked! Started using this lotion earlier this year for a few months then I began seeing results. GOODBYE TO BUMPY ARMS. I apply this once daily after I shower on my arms.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Yes. This stuff rocks. I have dry, flaky, dehydrated skin. I use this on my body every other day or so. It gets rid of the scaly skin (esp on my legs) and clogged pores. I don't use it on my face because my skin is too sensitive. It also has helped with ingrown hairs.

Negatives: It smells pretty bad, sort of like ammonia and Elmer's glue. It doesn't bother me much but it is unpleasant if you're sensitive to smells. Also, it's kind of runny. And pricey. I got a big pump bottle for $17 at Costco. Now I don't live near a Costco and can't get a good deal on this. I will still repurchase as I haven't found something that works better.

When I first bought this product I really wasn't sure I liked it, but through experimentation I have got it to work for me and will definitely be re-purchasing. I got it through Amazon in the UK for a reasonable price and bought a large pump bottle, which helps with dosage.

It's a useful combination of a dose of lactic acid to exfoliate (12%) with a proper dermatological emollient. Aimed at sufferers of KP (aka 'chicken skin' on arms and / or legs), it's also good for 'de-flaking' and smoothing skin generally, without drying it out. It's pretty fluid and not too tacky for an emollient and goes on smoothly, albeit with a strong chemical smell. It will soak in well unless you overdo it: I recommend starting with a small amount and building it up till you find the amount that works best for you.

I use it nightly as part of the following routine:

- quick shower with A-derma Exomega Emollient Shower Oil, massaging all over with Foreo Luna
- rub a few drops of Weleda Calendula Oil all over whilst still wet from the shower
- pat dry gently or air-dry
- apply Amlactin all over body as needed (I use 1 pump split between both arms, 1 pump for each leg and a smaller amount for torso, which is less dry)
- once soaked in, follow up with a thicker emollient balm on any particularly dry spots (feet, elbows).

Using it this way has helped to reduce annoying lumps and bumps on my arms and legs and keeps my sensitive skin smooth, without lots of heavy mechanical exfoliation, which I find can trigger patches of dermatitis.

WARNINGS / DOWNSIDES:

- it's a pretty strong product. I wouldn't use it on my face / neck / décolleté and some people might find it too strong for regular use or for any use at all.
- If you have lumps and bumps, remember to apply in the direction of hair growth on your arms and legs - this will stop the emollient component of the lotion from blocking hair follicles.
- The smell. No two ways about it, you will smell of ammonia after applying this! I find the smell fades to nothing after about an hour, but you definitely don't want to apply this just before a romantic encounter...

on 7/30/2015 7:00:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This lotion is simply too strong for my skin. I have dry and unfortunately very very sensitive skin. My friend recommended this for me because I have weird white visible pores all over my body and she said it's soothing and exfoliates. So I decided to give it a try and I bought a 20oz bottle from eBay for about $21 ( which I thought was a pretty good deal). As soon as I put it on, my skin began to burn like crazy, especially my face and neck. The second day I started to see red, flaky, and irritated patches on my face, neck, and chest. I thought to myself it gets worse before it gets better so I continued for 2 more days but my skin got worse and worse. When I stopped using it, my face and neck literally peeled. This product is almost like a chemical peel for my sensitive skin! I was really disappointed because I had heard so many great things about it but it just didn't suit my skin. The other down side to this product is its consistency, smell, and after feel. It's very very slow absorbing and it literally lathers on your skin. It also leaves a visible shine even on dry skin. The smell was awful ( I personally think it smells like hair dye) but goes away within 15 minutes or so. It also feels sticky and weird afterwards.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This product is great.
I have sensitive skin that can get itchy for no reason and I have those little bumps on my upper arms (well, not anymore). I use fragrance free body products

The science behind this is that it has AHAs to lightly and gently break down and remove dead skin cells. The hydrating part of it then makes sure your new skin cells are healthy, and the high content of lactic acid is very calming to soothe skin. Perfect product
This product hydrated my skin very very well and I have repurchased it. It is fragrance free, but does have an odd sent (I don't mind bc it works super well and there are no irritating fragrance ingredients)
It is a thick cream/lotion that soaks into my arms and legs well after a few minutes, but it feels greasy on my hands afterwards. This product isn't a quick lotion. When I first put it on it is like rubbing in a thick body butter. I find it helps to dot it around areas then rub it in, instead of globbing it in one spot and trying to distribute it from that one spot. I don't notice it unless I touch it, and then it feels like a layer/residue on my skin. This feeling goes away in a few minutes and is not an issue for me. If you want a thick lotion that actually gives you benefits (and not just a basic, thin lotion) you're going to have to work with it a little bit. you must take an extra second to let it soak in. It's not a quick lotion but it's totally worth it in my book
I love this and it works for my skin and I have repurchased it many times and will continue to do so!

Paula's Choice reviews slammed this for having a pH that doesn't really promote exfoliating.
(I hate hate hate her reviews because I think she looks for negative things to exploit good products and only her products get high reviews. This loses credibility instead of promote sales and I really don't trust her reviews.)
Anyways, whoever dropped out of college and now writes those reviews argued the pH isn't high enough to promote proper exfoliating. butttttttt they're missing the point of this moisturizer! It's intended to give soothing and moisturizing benefits, not exfoliate the crap out of your skin. If it had the pH paula's choice is saying it should...it would be a completely different product for a completely different market.

This product takes care of the little bumps on my arms and is soothing to my itchy legs and causes no irritation. definitely a holy grail product!

on 7/16/2015 7:59:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I initially bought this for my husband to combat those pesky bumps on the backs of his upper arms, but he never got around to trying it, so I started using it instead. Since my own skin had really dried out during the winter I decided to use it too. It is very thin textured and spreads evenly and thinly, yet my skin is still comfortable 24 hours later. It does have a persistent ammonia smell, but ammonia lactic is listed as the second ingredient so it makes sense. The smell doesn't bother me too much and dissipates after 1-2 hours. It also does not absorb completely; even hours later, my skin feels slightly tacky; I'm not a fan of that. During the first trimester of pregnancy with my fourth child my skin was terrible and I could not get a handle on my eczema; I think this lotion was too harsh for my hormonal skin. By the third trimester I could use this again, but only 2 or 3 times a week. I worked like a dream. Between using this occasionally, CeraVe lotion in the mornings and Cetaphil cream at night my skin was supple and smooth. My eczema eventually calmed down and AmLactin is essential for keeping my knees and elbows smooth. I will buy this again.

on 6/25/2015 10:35:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

As far as skincare with benefits, this may be the best skin-softening lotion I've ever used. And that's saying a lot!

Until recently, I hadn't given skincare from the neck down very much thought. I've never had issues that need to be addressed and as far as body lotion goes, I use it in the winter to moisturize and that's about it. I have a handful of very nice body lotions I use to make my skin soft temporarily, but none have actually improved the quality of my skin like this. And I never realized I needed improvement!

Yes, this is a little greasy. The first time I used it, it did take a while to sink in fully. But I have since realized I need about half the amount I initially used and am still getting good results. I don't notice any fragrance at all and though the consistency is a little runny, I don't mind it. In fact, I prefer lotion to be runny than too thick, especially in the summer time.

I mostly use this on my lower legs and upper arms. I have a handful of non-painful but visible ingrown hairs at any given time from epilating my legs and the occasional KP spot here and there on my arms. This clears it all up and fast! I've been using this for about two weeks, but only once a day. I can tell a major difference in the softness of my skin and my ingrown hairs are gone. I am also finding the handful of dark spots from scabs and spots from years ago beginning to lighten. I've had such great results, I am considering using on my bikini line too.

It is definitely pricey and a little hard to find in my area. Even still, I will continue to purchase this and see how much better my skin can get. It certainly won't work miracles but it definitely makes a noticeable difference for my skin.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I didn't like this product: I came to it with high hopes (I think I bought it due to people raving about it on Into the Gloss), but it did nothing for me. It didn't feel good to apply, left me very greasy, didn't do anything in the exfoliating department, and brought no joy whatsoever. Bummer.