Juliette has a Gun Not A Perfume

Juliette has a Gun Not A Perfume

3.0

on 5/6/2017 1:25:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I don't wear perfumes, even the Love's Baby Soft i got last year doesn't get worn. However, this is something else. this is not a perfume. it has one ingredient aside from a natural alcohol derived from corn. The single ingredient is called "cetalox" and is used as a base note in standard perfume formulas. I don't know why such a low rating. It is the most unique scent I've ever experienced. The thing about cetalox is that it smells good on some with a certain skin pH and flora while on others...not so much. My mother sprayed this on when I had a sample and it smelled all wrong...sour almost. She's a dry skinned, fair red head where I am an olive skinned oily (body) skinned brunette. This scent does not give me a headache, it does not irritate my skin and it mutes down to a peppery, woodsy smell that I adore.
This smells different on everyone and that is why it's so special.

on 10/27/2016 5:40:00 PM

"Not a perfume" perfume *does* smell like perfume! I wanted to like this since I'd given up on perfumes years ago. They now give me headaches and I just find them too strong and unpleasant. I had high hopes for this but it smells exactly like a perfume. And a strong one at that! A very strong smelling perfume that smells like every other perfume. I am not sure why some are saying it doesn't smell like anything (it does!!!!! It really does!!) Or why it doesn't last long (it stayed on so if! I tried scrubbing it off of me!) In all, nope.

on 10/27/2016 5:23:00 PM

I got a large sample sprayer of this. It is a fragrance from a single element called Cetalox. I am a migraine sufferer, so less complicated sounded perfect for me. Unfortunately, the irony in its name being Not a Perfume is that it smells like nothing on me. I actually sprayed too much on me with the first squirt--it was very wet, and was running down my arm, so I know I put it on. But, like I said, it smelled like nothing. This costs $100. Not sure what else I can say.

on 10/22/2016 4:54:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

What a joke. You might as well squeeze lemon in water and spray yourself with that. Because that's what Juliette Not a Perfume basically smells like. Once it dried, it was poof begone non-existent.

on 10/6/2016 11:58:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Just got a "deluxe" sample of this from Sephora. I agree with the reviewers who say this vanishes like it never existed. I barely smell it when I first put it on in the morning. By the time I leave the bedroom and walk downstairs, nothing. I would hate to spend so much money for something that has less scent on me than water. Definitely try a sample before you buy -- also agreed that YMMV.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

i got this as a sample and was intrigued by how it would react with my body chemistry.the intial spritz smelled a bit lemony (which I hate) and 10 minutes later it smelled like absolutely nothing. nada.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Apparently, your mileage may vary with this. I decided to get the sampler pack, being intrigued by this line. I lost count of how many people have told me "you smell so good!" Men and women. I call this line WMS: weapons of mass seduction! A road test is absolutely essential with this scent, because of the reaction with one's body chemistry. I received so many compliments wearing this I think that it's worth trying. Bravissimo, Signor Romano Ricci!

on 1/1/2016 3:56:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

So this was another sample in my birchbox, and got to try it on the New Year festivities, best time to test how long anything will last.
I must disclaim that even when I like many fragrances, the great majority I hate them on me, I can get very finicky. So getting a one-note fragrance, specially one that is "musky", got me nervous & not super happy; but I decided to wear it for New Year's Eve and I was pleasantly surprised. It is more of fresh smell, like many, it does remind me of D&G Light Blue (good thing), so I could see using it. It also had a good staying power on my skin, woke up today and I can still smell it on me.
But would I purchase it, probably not. I find the $100 usd price tag a little to steep for what it actually is. But I recommend others to try it, fragrance is very personal thing.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

From Sephora, I got the limited edition sampler that contains all eight fragrances from the niche French perfume house Juliette has a Gun. As an avid lover of all fragrances rose (the range has many if not mostly rose-featured scents) and all fragrances avant garde, I have been dying to try anything from this house, and this is really the only even reasonably affordable way to do it. $15 for 8 generous spray samples of these otherwise very costly scents. I plan to go through them all and write reviews on each one.

Not a Perfume, in concept, seems very much the same idea as the famous niche and blogger favorite Eccentric Molecules Molecule 01. A single-ingredient fragrance that is meant to mimic and sensuously combine with the warm musk of human skin.

While I have not tried Molecule 01, I see the appeal and this Not a Perfume is very enjoyable and interesting and is very complimentary to human skin, so I would say this "not a perfume" does its job and does its job well. And probably, if it works, Molecule 01 would do the same thing.

The thing with these single-note, human "musk": fragrances, though, is that while they allegedly smell "good" and sensual on everyone, they smell "different" on everyone, being more dependent on body chemistry than even any other type of fragrance, perfume, or body spray.

On me, this musk smells VERY similar to Elizabeth and James' Nirvana White. That fragrance supposedly has notes of peony and muguet as well as a "white" skin musk- whatever that means? But, really, all I got was a very addictive and enjoyable musk that wore close to the skin with maybe some quickly-fading florals to ever- so-subtly accent the top. So basically, I got this fragrance. And the Elizabeth and James one comes in a greater variety of sizes and is much less expensive than this or Molecule 01.

Everyone will likely have a different experience with fragrance like Not a Perfume and Eccentric Molecules 01 or any other single-note skin musk perfume that might be out there, so I do especially, probably more than any type of fragrance, stress the importance of seeing how it wears on your skin for yourself, before buying if possible. But for me, though I'd recommend, I wouldn't ever even remotely consider buying this again, not because it isn't worth it, but because something else is so similar that is nearly identical on me and my skin: Elizabeth and James Nirvana White.

Hope to also try Molecule 01 to see what effect I get and/or if it is the same or similar to these other two some day.

on 8/22/2015 1:10:00 AM

I truly believe this is scent that you will either love or hate because the outcome so dependent on your own body chemistry. Lucky me, my body loves Not a Perfume and it loves me right back!! It isn't a complex scent but it is interesting. It has quiet, intriguing quality that pulls you in.
I love how this develops on my skin, like it's made just for me. It feels very personal, as if your body is producing this lovely scent all on its own.

Popular Fragrances