Juliette has a Gun Not A Perfume

on 9/28/2017 9:58:00 AM

Love This Scent it is really unique

on 8/28/2017 2:05:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This smells so weird on me: a mix of children's glue, milk and some sweet flowers... But mainly children's glue - the type you get in glue sticks, just amped up about ten times - a very strange and cloying scent. Ambergris has never appealed to me though; the last ambergris scent I tried absolutely disgusted me, and my thoughts were: "Let's never ever sniff the sample again, and sell it off as fast as I can!...". Not A Perfume is a much weaker scent than that perfume - a dainty version of ambergris, if you will... But it just really doesn't work with my chemistry. So, definitely try a sample before you buy a full bottle, as this might be either very good or very bad, depending on your skin's chemistry

on 10/27/2016 5:40:00 PM

"Not a perfume" perfume *does* smell like perfume! I wanted to like this since I'd given up on perfumes years ago. They now give me headaches and I just find them too strong and unpleasant. I had high hopes for this but it smells exactly like a perfume. And a strong one at that! A very strong smelling perfume that smells like every other perfume. I am not sure why some are saying it doesn't smell like anything (it does!!!!! It really does!!) Or why it doesn't last long (it stayed on so if! I tried scrubbing it off of me!) In all, nope.

on 5/6/2017 1:25:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I don't wear perfumes, even the Love's Baby Soft i got last year doesn't get worn. However, this is something else. this is not a perfume. it has one ingredient aside from a natural alcohol derived from corn. The single ingredient is called "cetalox" and is used as a base note in standard perfume formulas. I don't know why such a low rating. It is the most unique scent I've ever experienced. The thing about cetalox is that it smells good on some with a certain skin pH and flora while on others...not so much. My mother sprayed this on when I had a sample and it smelled all wrong...sour almost. She's a dry skinned, fair red head where I am an olive skinned oily (body) skinned brunette. This scent does not give me a headache, it does not irritate my skin and it mutes down to a peppery, woodsy smell that I adore.
This smells different on everyone and that is why it's so special.

on 8/28/2017 12:51:00 AM

Oh my lord. Well, this perfume is certainly an interesting experiment in how different a scent can smell on different people. I got a large sample of this at Sephora because it smelled good in the bottle. When I sprayed it on myself it immediately hit me over the head and smelled awful. I've washed it off and yet the unpleasantness continues unabated. And yet there are other reviews that express disappointment because people say it smells like nothing on their skin, while other people love how it smells on them. So strange!

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Not a Perfume is really interesting because it is so "one note," which is a concept that we've kinda been conditioned to believe isn't a great thing when it comes to fragrance. We criticize media and even other people as being "one note," stuck on just one idea or concept as if it is a universally bad thing. It seems like a lot of modern fragrances can have very dominant notes, but they're still expected to be complex and evocative and layered, even if that means sacrificing originality or inventiveness. Not a Perfume is definitely thumbing its nose (pun intended) at that concept, because it is just one simple thing: the synthetic note ambroxan, also known as cetalox. Ambroxan smells like ambergris without actually being whale hairballs (technically it is from sea creatures that they eat and cannot digest, but then they cough it up or maybe it is passed "another way," so the analogy still sort of works.) It really does just smell like one thing, but that one thing is FANTASTIC, and it lasts and lasts. Sometimes it is tiresome to wait through the drydown period and the warming up on your body period and the "wait, were the base notes here for just five seconds?" period of perfume phases to smell something you like. We have all tried perfumes that are either great at first but then have icky hearts or bases or perfumes that are too sharp and jarring initially that dry down to wonderful scents after minutes or hours. Not a Perfume has none of that pretense; it is just itself from first sniff to last. It may be a single note, but it is still intoxicating and it tells a beautiful story with its simplicity. It is daring and sensual without being overwrought, it is feminine without being floral, and it is enchanting in spite of being so seemingly plain. When I wear this, it lasts for hours on my skin, and the sillage is pretty moderate (it isn't shy, but it won't knock the other people in the elevator out either.) Every time I catch a whiff it makes me happy because it is pretty without being overly delicate and a little cheeky without being comical. I think it strikes a perfect balance between science and perfumery, and that makes me absolutely adore it. I am shocked by the negative reviews here, especially given the fact that it has better-than-average reviews on both Fragrantica and Sephora. Scent is personal, of course, and my personality is one that I like to go outside the box, which of course this perfume achieves wonderfully. There's no overworked (and often overdone) florals and resins and musks and fruits and gourmands to get in the way of something that smells so good that people are willing to wear the smell of garbage from a whale's stomach on their skin---or at least the synthetic version anyway**. (**According to my research, and in spite of what Bob's Burgers would have me believe, most ambergris used in perfumes these days is actually synthetic in the form of ambroxan or other similar compounds. The real deal may in fact smell good enough to put actual sea-barf*** on one's skin, but I can't really be all that sure I have ever smelled the real thing. Also, I do genuinely love ambergris/synthetic ambergris in perfumes, so take a lot of what I say here with a grain of salt since I mean it in a tongue-in-cheek way. **So it may or may not be vomit but it definitely comes from inside the whale's digestive tract. Do with that information what you will.)

on 10/6/2016 11:58:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Just got a "deluxe" sample of this from Sephora. I agree with the reviewers who say this vanishes like it never existed. I barely smell it when I first put it on in the morning. By the time I leave the bedroom and walk downstairs, nothing. I would hate to spend so much money for something that has less scent on me than water. Definitely try a sample before you buy -- also agreed that YMMV.

on 10/27/2016 5:23:00 PM

I got a large sample sprayer of this. It is a fragrance from a single element called Cetalox. I am a migraine sufferer, so less complicated sounded perfect for me. Unfortunately, the irony in its name being Not a Perfume is that it smells like nothing on me. I actually sprayed too much on me with the first squirt--it was very wet, and was running down my arm, so I know I put it on. But, like I said, it smelled like nothing. This costs $100. Not sure what else I can say.

on 10/22/2016 4:54:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

What a joke. You might as well squeeze lemon in water and spray yourself with that. Because that's what Juliette Not a Perfume basically smells like. Once it dried, it was poof begone non-existent.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

i got this as a sample and was intrigued by how it would react with my body chemistry.the intial spritz smelled a bit lemony (which I hate) and 10 minutes later it smelled like absolutely nothing. nada.

Popular Fragrances