Juliette has a Gun Not A Perfume

3.3

on 5/13/2018 7:05:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I smelled this on a coworker and asked her what she was wearing, to which she said 'not a perfume'. Interpreting her literally, I asked if it was some type of amber oil. The scent I was smelling seemed like a close cousin of Ambre Blends Original/Kuumba Made Persian Garden. NAP seems similar in the sense that they are warm, woody, clean (not soapy) skin scents, with NAP having a very subtle citrus note in the opening notes, which dissipates quickly. I purchased the "rollerball" spray (0.25 oz) for $28 at Sephora, which seems to be a better value for me as I switch perfumes up daily, but I do foresee this being a really nice signature scent throughout any ocassion!

This is the fragrance I wear every day, for work, and I'm quite sure I will always own the largest bottle I can get. I like that it doesn't offend colleagues with allergies, but I love that I get so many compliments. Even when I can't smell it on myself, people stop to tell me I smell good. Those who are especially smitten get gifted with their own travel size spray.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

This is like no other fragrance I own. I live the simplicity of only one note. You know the initial fragrance you get will still be the same one you smell hours later. It is warm and inviting. I always get compliments on it. The scent is strong, but not offend everyone around you strong. Very work appropriate.

Lurky McLurkerson says it all. I don’t need to add anything, except... I’m only giving it four stars, because it’s a one-note!

I had to sniff for myself to see what it was all about and if the beauty of this depends on one's chemistry, then lucky me. It starts out like water only to morph into a soft, clean pure warmth. The ultimate test came when it mixed with the outdoor air. Just beautiful!,, Nine hours later I can still smell this. Full bottle worthy.

on 9/28/2017 9:58:00 AM

Love This Scent it is really unique

on 8/28/2017 2:05:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This smells so weird on me: a mix of children's glue, milk and some sweet flowers... But mainly children's glue - the type you get in glue sticks, just amped up about ten times - a very strange and cloying scent. Ambergris has never appealed to me though; the last ambergris scent I tried absolutely disgusted me, and my thoughts were: "Let's never ever sniff the sample again, and sell it off as fast as I can!...". Not A Perfume is a much weaker scent than that perfume - a dainty version of ambergris, if you will... But it just really doesn't work with my chemistry. So, definitely try a sample before you buy a full bottle, as this might be either very good or very bad, depending on your skin's chemistry

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Not a Perfume is really interesting because it is so "one note," which is a concept that we've kinda been conditioned to believe isn't a great thing when it comes to fragrance. We criticize media and even other people as being "one note," stuck on just one idea or concept as if it is a universally bad thing. It seems like a lot of modern fragrances can have very dominant notes, but they're still expected to be complex and evocative and layered, even if that means sacrificing originality or inventiveness. Not a Perfume is definitely thumbing its nose (pun intended) at that concept, because it is just one simple thing: the synthetic note ambroxan, also known as cetalox. Ambroxan smells like ambergris without actually being whale hairballs (technically it is from sea creatures that they eat and cannot digest, but then they cough it up or maybe it is passed "another way," so the analogy still sort of works.) It really does just smell like one thing, but that one thing is FANTASTIC, and it lasts and lasts. Sometimes it is tiresome to wait through the drydown period and the warming up on your body period and the "wait, were the base notes here for just five seconds?" period of perfume phases to smell something you like. We have all tried perfumes that are either great at first but then have icky hearts or bases or perfumes that are too sharp and jarring initially that dry down to wonderful scents after minutes or hours. Not a Perfume has none of that pretense; it is just itself from first sniff to last. It may be a single note, but it is still intoxicating and it tells a beautiful story with its simplicity. It is daring and sensual without being overwrought, it is feminine without being floral, and it is enchanting in spite of being so seemingly plain. When I wear this, it lasts for hours on my skin, and the sillage is pretty moderate (it isn't shy, but it won't knock the other people in the elevator out either.) Every time I catch a whiff it makes me happy because it is pretty without being overly delicate and a little cheeky without being comical. I think it strikes a perfect balance between science and perfumery, and that makes me absolutely adore it. I am shocked by the negative reviews here, especially given the fact that it has better-than-average reviews on both Fragrantica and Sephora. Scent is personal, of course, and my personality is one that I like to go outside the box, which of course this perfume achieves wonderfully. There's no overworked (and often overdone) florals and resins and musks and fruits and gourmands to get in the way of something that smells so good that people are willing to wear the smell of garbage from a whale's stomach on their skin---or at least the synthetic version anyway**. (**According to my research, and in spite of what Bob's Burgers would have me believe, most ambergris used in perfumes these days is actually synthetic in the form of ambroxan or other similar compounds. The real deal may in fact smell good enough to put actual sea-barf*** on one's skin, but I can't really be all that sure I have ever smelled the real thing. Also, I do genuinely love ambergris/synthetic ambergris in perfumes, so take a lot of what I say here with a grain of salt since I mean it in a tongue-in-cheek way. **So it may or may not be vomit but it definitely comes from inside the whale's digestive tract. Do with that information what you will.)

on 5/6/2017 1:25:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I don't wear perfumes, even the Love's Baby Soft i got last year doesn't get worn. However, this is something else. this is not a perfume. it has one ingredient aside from a natural alcohol derived from corn. The single ingredient is called "cetalox" and is used as a base note in standard perfume formulas. I don't know why such a low rating. It is the most unique scent I've ever experienced. The thing about cetalox is that it smells good on some with a certain skin pH and flora while on others...not so much. My mother sprayed this on when I had a sample and it smelled all wrong...sour almost. She's a dry skinned, fair red head where I am an olive skinned oily (body) skinned brunette. This scent does not give me a headache, it does not irritate my skin and it mutes down to a peppery, woodsy smell that I adore.
This smells different on everyone and that is why it's so special.

on 8/28/2017 12:51:00 AM

Oh my lord. Well, this perfume is certainly an interesting experiment in how different a scent can smell on different people. I got a large sample of this at Sephora because it smelled good in the bottle. When I sprayed it on myself it immediately hit me over the head and smelled awful. I've washed it off and yet the unpleasantness continues unabated. And yet there are other reviews that express disappointment because people say it smells like nothing on their skin, while other people love how it smells on them. So strange!

Popular Fragrances