Benefit They’re Real Mascara is the only true HG product I have. As in, cannot exist without it and nothing comes close. I have extremely oily skin / lids, the tiniest bit of hooded lids and very long, naturally curled lashes. All mascaras transfer to my crease, brow and brow bone without fail about 2 hours into my 12 hour day…except Benefit They’re Real. I’ve tried every drugstore brand (which are by far the worst), Too Faced Better than Sex + waterproof, Benefit Roller Lash and Bad Gal Lash, Milk Makeup KUSH High Volume and KUSH waterproof, Marc Jacobs Velvet Noir, Lancome Monsieur Big Mascara, Hypnose and Definicils, Dior Diorshow + Extase, blackout and waterproof, Urban Decay Perversion, Tarte Lights Camera Lashes, IT Cosmetics Superhero, Clinique High Impact, and YSL Volume Effet Faux Cils. ALL OF THEM TRANSFER with the exception of They’re Real, which doesn’t budge at all, not even when crying, in 100 degree heat and humidity or being in a pool. This mascara has gotten me through 15 hour metal festivals in hot and humid 100+ degree days in Chicago.
Hands down the best mascara ever, but in my opinion, there is a bit of a learning curve, so I’ve listed below tips that I’ve found useful:
• If you’re getting racoon eyes underneath your eyes, it’s possible that you have oily under eyes and need to set it with a small amount of powder, even if you’re a powder free person. Racoon eyes can even happen if you have face oil, primer or moisturizer coating your lashes prior to application—they should be clean, dry and free of any product.
• If it’s not making your lashes as long as you expected, make sure you’re applying it to both the bottom side and top side of your lashes, this is true of literally any mascara to maximize the benefits. I apply to the underside of both eyes and while still wet, I take the opportunity to come out any clumps, then allow it to dry. Once dry, I apply mascara to the top sides of my lashes, comb then dry.
• If you’re losing curl with this formula, when applying mascara to the top side of your lashes, slowly rotate the wand back towards your lid and hold there for a few seconds before releasing. If my lashes are being stubborn, sometimes I sit in front of a fan and let my lashes dry while rotating my wand back towards my lid
• If your lashes are gross and sticky the next day, its because you didn’t remove all of the product, the Benefit They’re Real remover works the best in my opinion because it’s a creamy lotion formula, but I’ve been equally successfully with Clinique, and Neutrogena (even Equate’s version!) of makeup remover.
• If the wand applies too much product and it becomes messy, scrape some off on the rim of the container, just make sure to gather it and push it back down inside when you’re done applying what’s on your brush.
• If your tube dries out too quickly, I suggest buying the mini. It dries out just as quickly, but by the time it dries out, the tube is nearly empty. Otherwise, put a drop or two of Jamaican Black Castor Oil into the tube BEFORE it dries out. It’s a natural lash growth and conditioning treatment, but also keeps your mascara from drying out. Stop pumping your mascara, you’re introducing air into the container.
• Once you think you’re reached the end of the tube, pop out the little collar plug and you’ll have 2-3 more weeks of mascara left in the bottom sides and top corners of the container.