No Image

4.4

on 1/27/2017 12:24:00 PM

I have fine hair, when I was younger I had a lot of it, though it's never been full enough for my taste. As I've gotten older, much to my distress, it's become even thinner, and its now even more of a struggle to get some body in it, and I definitely don't like being able to see my scalp. This stuff works not only to camouflage any scalp areas, but also to make your hair seem MUCH thicker than it is. After styling, I just lift my hair in sections, or along the part, and sprinkle Toppik at the root areas. The color you use matters. I was blonde as a kid, but my hair turned darker as I got older, and now it's dark, mousy light brown, lighter on the top. Not quite brown, but no where near blonde either. I originally bought this in the medium blonde, because I have highlights, but was not impressed. The trick is to go darker, as close as you can to the color of your hair near the roots...but the medium brown is too dark. So, I mix the light and medium brown 50/50 in the travel size, which has a pop off cap, I guess so you can refill. The instructions say you should spray it with the Toppik spray after, but I don't find it necessary. The powder pretty much stays put. I did buy the spray, but it makes your hair feel like straw, so I don't use it.

I would imagine this product would be a godsend for anyone really losing hair, in the earlier stages, anyway. It's pricy, but it does work, not only to make you look like you have more hair, but also to add body.

Edited a few weeks later:
Not so sure about this stuff anymore. After a few hours it clumps up and starts to look patchy on the scalp, and especially at the root area of each hair. Especially with the darker colors. I suppose it's better than nothing, considering how few options there are out there....but I'm going to continue to search for a better version of this type of product.

on 4/7/2016 2:30:00 PM

A few years ago I regularly used Toppik hair fibers to try and conceal my scalp, but the fibers tend to clump around my hair roots after a few hours and it looks gross and fake especially near the hairline. They're supposed to cling to your hair by some electrostatic charge magic but I definitely have never experienced that, I even bought and used the special sprayer nozzle for it to try and avoid the clumping. It looks great when freshly applied, but settles in clumps halfway through the day.

The last straw was when I had just met my now-husband, I'd used the Toppik fibers before going on a day-date of sightseeing; a few hours later I went to the restroom and omg the fibers had settled around my roots at the hairline, it looked like doll's hair I was mortified. I threw out the Toppik after that; it just sucks for hairlines. Now I use Joan Rivers Great Hair Day powder and it's perfect, you can get really close to the hairline and the product stays put all day unlike Toppik which looks good when I first apply it then it clumps at my roots. JRGHD also doesn't come off in the rain and much less messy to apply, it travels a lot better than Toppik and takes up less space in my bathroom. I even have the purse-size JRGHD pan, perfect if I think I need a touch up and there is also a small pan with applicator for eyebrows!

on 3/19/2016 6:08:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I have dark brown hair and a scalp as white as snow. My hair has become very fine and has thinned out over the years, probably due to certain meds. I consulted a stylist about getting a hair piece for the top of my head. $800 just for the piece and I didn't even get to the part about the application which would need to be done every few weeks. She suggested this product and I stopped at the beauty supply on the way home. She had advised me not to buy black. I was going to buy dark brown but then I thought perhaps I should go even lighter so I got the medium brown. It was perfect. I did buy the Toppik hairspray but it kinda' sucks. I much prefer my own hairspray. I just hold my left index finger along my hair line so it doesn't get on my face. Just remember not to scratch your scalp and keep out of the rain. I haven't gone through the summer with it yet. I think it's totally worth the money and if you get it at a certain chain beauty supply that starts with "S" you can return it if you're not happy.

on 11/22/2015 6:35:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Yes! Toppik fibers are a godsend. I use the dark brown. It's a super dark brown nearly black and I am thrilled with the color match. They are very easy to apply. I use the hairline optimizer because they can spill a little onto your face which looks bad obviously. I use my Wella hairspray (not the Toppik spray) and they stay in place. You MUST spray hairspray over it or it WILL flake.

I am really, really happy with these. The fibers are very matte, not shiny at all, but I'm completely ok with that because if your hairspray leaves a little shine on your hair, it's all good. I love being able to pull my hair off my sides and not see my scalp anymore. It was seriously so upsetting and I will keep using Toppik forever, if need be.

on 9/12/2015 6:38:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

This review is for my husband's use of this. He is very concerned with his hair loss and I came across this and we figured it was worth a shot! It has given him much more confidence and it looks totally completely natural. I usually put it on him as I can see it better and use less. It is pricy. When he uses it he shakes half the jar out and it can get on his shirt:) Just FYI, it easily wipes off clothes. A small spritz of hairspray (topix makes one, but we didn't find it to be better that a cheap hs) and he's good for the day!
This is a keeper for men or women!

on 9/12/2015 2:47:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I like Xfusion (made by the Toppik people but marketed to salons) a bit better - even though they are about the same. I use the Xfusion in Auburn or Toppik in Auburn. Toppik comes in 9 colors - just like xFusion.

Do not swim with it in or go out in the rain or sweat alot.

Good for weddings and special occasions. I don't wear it every day.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is HG and a total lifesaver for me!!! My hair has been thinning since highschool, I'm now 30 and have thinning on the top and near my ears. Toppik gives me confidence to go out in public! It looks totally natural, easy to use and stays put. After application I use hairspray and it stays really well. I'm thinking about trying the spray nozzle attachment as I've hard good things. Also a tip, the dark brown is really dark, almost black. I have super dark brown hair and it's too dark for me, medium brown was a better shade for me.

on 4/8/2015 12:54:00 PM

I only wish I knew about this product sooner! My hair has become thinner and thinner over the years to the point where you can see my scalp on the top of my head. I have dark hair and fair skin, so the scalp really stands out. I don't have any hair loss, just a thinning of the hair strands as I get older. I was starting to get self-conscious about it as it would show up in photos and had become so noticeable. I've been dealing with this for the last five years or so, until I found this product. I am very low maintenance. I thought of trying Minoxidil, but the commitment and overall pain in the patootie of having to apply something everyday for a period of time with no guaranteed results seemed fruitless (not to mention the potential for having more unwanted body hair!). I was even considering looking into Bosley, but having hair restoration surgery seemed so over the top (not to mention incredibly expensive). Then I tried Toppik. It works! It takes about one minute or less to apply in the morning and stays put all day. Looks natural. Covers the scalp and blends in with the hair (it needs hair to blend with - this product would not work on someone with a chrome dome). I bought the ball applicator that puts the product exactly where you want it (especially as I like to keep my natural part showing, but use the product to cover the other areas of the scalp I don't want showing) and would highly suggest doing this. I've had no mess in the bathroom ever using this product. You do need to spray it in place, but any hairspray works - you don't need the Toppik spray. I have dark brown hair but use the medium brown color and it works great - I'd suggest going a shade lighter as this works for me. My only concern with using this is that I haven't been out in the rain yet, but am curious/scared of what might happen! Otherwise it stays put, looks natural, and no more going bald in photos! This has become a "can't live without" product. I've been using it for over a month now and I can say it's changed my life. Try it!

on 9/16/2014 4:56:00 PM

I have been shedding a lot since I started high school and now I'm 32 with a glaring bald part at the top of my head, and crown area! No matter how I style my hair, you could not hide the part that extends all the way to the back of my crown. It just gets worse each year, and was really bringing me down. I would not be able to stop fiddling with my hair to try and cover up the spots while outside.

I tried Surethik (another hair fiber option) first since I was able to get it at my local Trade Secrets but their Dark Brown turns purple on me... I then ordered Toppik since I lost the other bottle and find it to be much better. It is a lot finer in texture and the Dark Brown doesn't turn colours on me! Looks incredibly natural if you don't go nuts sprinkling it till your scalp goes opaque!

As for wear it has stayed all day on me. I just use regular hairspray to lightly set it on top of my hair. I wore this to 2 weddings so far from morning till night and it does not budge as long as you do not run your fingers through and rake the fibers that are on your scalp. Not even a bit of rain nor wind did anything. I've even slept in it several times and the product has stayed put.

LOVE this stuff and I will continue using it until something better comes along. It is a bit expensive for a little bottle but it is nothing compared to all the confidence it has given me! I just took a lippy off for price and the mess it makes in my bathroom no matter how hard I try.

I am just beside myself with happiness and confidence. I am twenty-nine, and have always had thin hair, but on and off the past couple of years I go through major shedding, my part has gotten wider and recently I noticed my hair alarmingly thinning on top with wide bits of my scalp showing in the back. In the morning before I wash and style my hair it is heartbreakingly thin and unsightly along the top and sides. I was devastated, depressed, and panicked. I googled lots of information regarding treatments and was impressed by the great reviews Toppik receives, although you still always have to be a little skeptical - it couldn't be that miraculous and easy, could it?

I immediately went to Ulta and shelled out the $25 for Toppik. I have dark brown hair, but couldn't decide between dark or medium brown. The saleswoman recommended the medium. I was scared it'd be too light.

Oh my god. I sprinkled Toppik all along my part and lifted up pieces here and there to fill in the white spaces. A little goes a long way. A lot of people have complained about it making a mess, but it was extremely minimal for me, just a little in my sink and a light dusting on my fingers I didn't even wash off. I hardly even had to mix it in with my fingers. I used a mirror and sprinkled more on the top back of my head. It took a couple minutes and LOOKS LIKE HAIR. So natural. My part is filled in and when I take aerial pictures of my head now I don't look like a sickly forty year old man. It doesn't add volume but definitely gives the illusion of more hair. It was way too easy and looks so good. I can't believe this, I am so happy. I've checked, double-checked and triple-checked with mirrors in both natural lighting and bathroom lighting, and it is undetectable. UN-DETECTABLE. I looked up-close and you can't even tell where you sprinkled the Toppik, it's hard to even see the places I know were bald. I immediately yelled to my roommate, "Look at my part!" and she leaned in really close and still wasn't sure what I was talking about, it's that natural.

I feel like I have a new lease on life. I don't have to be self-conscious anymore every time someone is standing over me or behind me, worrying about my scalp showing. Best $25 I ever spent. I couldn't even afford the extra $25 kit with the spray nozzle and face shield or whatever, I was worried it'd make a huge difference, but just the Toppik works just fine for me. I can't stop looking in the mirror, it seems too good to be true. Thank god for this product. I feel so confident.

Popular Styling Products