Ruby Kisses HD Setting Powder

4.5

on 3/18/2016 3:47:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

I really, really like this stuff! I have a very very oily nose, a moderately oily chin, and normal forehead and cheeks. My skin is NW45 and I purchased this powder in the shade Earth at my local beauty supply store for about $6-7.99CDN.

I think the price of the powder is good for the amount that comes in it which is about 12 grams of product, so it's a bit on the larger side. The sifter on this powder is really amazing! It has a sliding inner lid that I push aside to see the powder holes. Then I slide the inner lid over the holes and no powder will leak out.

When I bought this powder I intended to get the darkest shade Rich but the store was sold out so I settled for Earth. Earth is a warm, caramel colour and is invisible on my skin which is exactly what I wanted. Earth doesn't look ashy at all, as some translucent powders tend to look.

This powder is so silky and soft! It's really finely milled and feels just so nice on my skin.

I use this powder to set my foundation and touch up throughout the day. I find this does a great job at mattifying my skin and making it look smooth and poreless. But it falls short of the whole 16 hour rub proof wear claim. If Ruby Kisses didn't promise that, I would've given this 5 lippies (a product doesn't deserve 5 unless it does everything it promises). When I use this I get shine break through after four hours. Usually I get shiny around two hours after application.

TL;DR: This powder is really lovely and does extend the matte look of my foundation for an extra two hours, but it doesn't keep me from getting oily ever. The secure lid is great for travel, I keep mine in my bag for touch ups. I think Earth is a beautiful shade for my dark skin because it never makes me look ashy.

I like it a lot and I'll continue buying it!

on 2/9/2014 9:23:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

I purchased this in banana and earth colors. Seriously, the banana is just like my Ben Nye banana powder.
I don't want to admit its better because I paid more for the Ben Nye but I was matte for hours. And I never got seriously oily with this on. AND it was only like 5 bucks.

on 3/11/2013 3:11:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium

Overall I think that this is a good powder. However I was expecting a lot more from it. I expected it to keep my skin matte no matter what, I was expecting it to keep me matte better than any other powder and it didn't. This is a good powder a good setting powder it doesn't leave me with that powdery look after I set my foundation which is a plus and it has decent oil control but I bought the color rich which is the darkest and i feel is a little to dark and to red for me. I don't know if easrth would be to light for me. Anyways I would buy this again because it is affordable but I just don't feel like its amazing.

on 12/31/2012 4:21:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

This is another Ruby Kisses product that I love so much. I love the way it sets my under eye concealer and it does not move. But the only thing that I suggest is that you use a blending eyeshadow brush and go light when using because you can get that ghostly effect. I have the shade Banana and Topaz which I heard were dupes for the Ben Nye setting powder. I wanted to try the Ben Nye powder but when I read reviews that RK is a dupe for BN I'm just sticking to my RK and save money on shipping :-)

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

This gets 2 thumbs up from me, It controls my combo skin for hours (of course I use a korean BB cream underneath that also claims to control oil) but nonetheless I will repurchase it. I kind of wish it was bigger though. I didn't realize it would be that tiny (I ordered it online).

on 8/23/2011 6:48:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

I do like this powder althought it doesn't perform like I wanted it to. I was attracted to it because it is yellow & I thought it might be a great highlight setting powder similar but cheaper than Ben Nye Banana Powder. After using it I realize it is a very finely milled silica powder which adds warmth, sets foundation beautifully but doesn't highlight well. Like most silica powders it nearly vanishes but it does leave behind warmth which is more attractive for darker skin.

on 6/6/2011 1:56:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

I really like this powder. I have been trying products from this line at my local beauty supply, because I can't resist pretty things even if I don't need them. LOL I have this powder in shade 02 banana. It is very yellow in the container just like the Ben Nye banana powder. It gives a nice warmness to the skin. I bought this because I already have the MUFE HD powder, which is fine. But I like the warmth of the yellow powder. The container actually has a feature where the sifter turns to lock the powder, so there is no spillage. This is great and it only cost $5.99. I will definately purchase this again.

on 4/21/2011 12:39:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

This powder is similar to MF HD powder and the Elf HD powder white in color and it sets your makeup and gives yu a matte look. On darker skin like mine you have to use a light hand as if you use too much it may look ashy but i know for sure that this will be in my arsenal for the summer months when its very not this will help with keeping the oilies at bay, ladies with dry skin this might be a good choice for you as its matte, i know they have some other colors i didnt check to see if they were the same as the invisible which is the shade i picked up