Ruby Kisses HD Setting Powder

4.5

on 3/18/2016 3:47:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Other

I really, really like this stuff! I have a very very oily nose, a moderately oily chin, and normal forehead and cheeks. My skin is NW45 and I purchased this powder in the shade Earth at my local beauty supply store for about $6-7.99CDN.

I think the price of the powder is good for the amount that comes in it which is about 12 grams of product, so it's a bit on the larger side. The sifter on this powder is really amazing! It has a sliding inner lid that I push aside to see the powder holes. Then I slide the inner lid over the holes and no powder will leak out.

When I bought this powder I intended to get the darkest shade Rich but the store was sold out so I settled for Earth. Earth is a warm, caramel colour and is invisible on my skin which is exactly what I wanted. Earth doesn't look ashy at all, as some translucent powders tend to look.

This powder is so silky and soft! It's really finely milled and feels just so nice on my skin.

I use this powder to set my foundation and touch up throughout the day. I find this does a great job at mattifying my skin and making it look smooth and poreless. But it falls short of the whole 16 hour rub proof wear claim. If Ruby Kisses didn't promise that, I would've given this 5 lippies (a product doesn't deserve 5 unless it does everything it promises). When I use this I get shine break through after four hours. Usually I get shiny around two hours after application.

TL;DR: This powder is really lovely and does extend the matte look of my foundation for an extra two hours, but it doesn't keep me from getting oily ever. The secure lid is great for travel, I keep mine in my bag for touch ups. I think Earth is a beautiful shade for my dark skin because it never makes me look ashy.

I like it a lot and I'll continue buying it!

on 12/22/2015 11:36:00 AM

Let me start off by saying, I have extremely sensitive acne prone skin. I have been a faithful user of Tarte Smooth Operator finishing powder for years. I decided to try the Ruby Kisses HD Setting Powder in the banana shade. After first use I knew this was a winner! It does help reduce the appearance of the indented scars and keeps my oily skin matte longer than other powders. I have not used my Tarte powder again. You really can't beat $7.00. I have already purchased a backup.

To Read all 14 Reviews, Login or Join

on 7/10/2015 6:15:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

I used this product once and absolutely HATED it!! Maybe I put on too much but my hubby told me I looked like the joker! lol! I purchased the banana color and when I took a picture OMG it looked hideous!!!!

on 10/2/2014 11:34:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Don't get me wrong, this is a good setting powder, but I'm always in to trying new products. Ruby Kisses is good if you are on a budget. I used this for about 3 months then game over when I tried Ben Nye in Dolce and Banana. Good but not as great as Ben Nye.

If any of you ladies are interested in trying out Ben Nye Face and Setting Powders send me a message!

I've never used a loose setting powder before I started using this. I used this in the color invisible. This powder gives a beautiful finish, it helped to diminish the look of my large pores and set my liquid foundations for hours. I do have oily skin so I did have to touch up after a few hours but not as much as i usually have to. I used every last bit of this and would repurchase in the future!

on 2/9/2014 9:23:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

I purchased this in banana and earth colors. Seriously, the banana is just like my Ben Nye banana powder.
I don't want to admit its better because I paid more for the Ben Nye but I was matte for hours. And I never got seriously oily with this on. AND it was only like 5 bucks.

on 1/6/2014 1:10:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I love this product it's way better than MAc mineralize skin finish

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have all of the colors in this powder! im oily and I swear this makes u matte. no oxidizine I am nc45 in mac so the earth use with a light hand or it looks a little to dark.This powder is similar to MF HD powder and the Elf HD powder white in color and it sets your makeup and gives yu a matte look. this is my arsenal for the summer months when its very hot ,ladies with dry skin this might be a good choice for you because im oily and it does come thru after couple hours if i dont set it well.
overall no breakouts and no disappointment.

on 3/11/2013 3:11:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium

Overall I think that this is a good powder. However I was expecting a lot more from it. I expected it to keep my skin matte no matter what, I was expecting it to keep me matte better than any other powder and it didn't. This is a good powder a good setting powder it doesn't leave me with that powdery look after I set my foundation which is a plus and it has decent oil control but I bought the color rich which is the darkest and i feel is a little to dark and to red for me. I don't know if easrth would be to light for me. Anyways I would buy this again because it is affordable but I just don't feel like its amazing.

on 12/31/2012 4:21:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

This is another Ruby Kisses product that I love so much. I love the way it sets my under eye concealer and it does not move. But the only thing that I suggest is that you use a blending eyeshadow brush and go light when using because you can get that ghostly effect. I have the shade Banana and Topaz which I heard were dupes for the Ben Nye setting powder. I wanted to try the Ben Nye powder but when I read reviews that RK is a dupe for BN I'm just sticking to my RK and save money on shipping :-)