Thierry Mugler Angel

3.4

on 11/22/2017 10:53:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

ORIGINAL 1 STAR REVIEW
I'm an infamous mediator. I see both sides to everything, so this highly polarizing fragrance drew too much curiousity to pass up! Surely people were exaggerating, and it's not something you either LOVE or you HATE? The top selling fragrance in the world, surely the haters were just rebelling against the popularity of an otherwise decent perfume?

I braced myself, applied one spritz, and was hit with a strong bug spray, Christmas tree, and soap smell. I perserved. An hour in, the patchouli settles down and the honey, foody notes start peeking through. It stays like this till end on me. While people complain that this smells ''dirty'' to me it smells clean. Far too clean.

At no point did I feel angelic or beautiful. If anything, it is as if I was a very naughty girl who was punished for eating too many sweets by having my mouth washed out with soap. The soap with the bare trace of the sweets is exactly how this smells. Any temptation that the gourmand might provoke is dashed with the soapy notes, and not in a sexy teasing way, a very WRONG way. Like this is something that will kill you if you eat it. I absolutely agree with another reviewer that said that the combination of edible + inedible is nauseating. And not in the rude way, the actual stomach-turning way.

So there you have it. I wanted to like this or at the very least see the good and bad equally, but this is just... bad. I genuinely wish I could smell the beautiful sweet notes that everyone who loves it professes to smell. Oh well! I'm convinced that most people who love it had to acquire the taste. Considering I don't believe I've smelled this on anyone before in my life, at least rest assured that you will smell unique.

EDIT: Okay, so I tried this again, making sure to diffuse the fragrance over a large area of the body instead of concentrating a spray. Definitely feeling more sweet notes, a general softer feel to it, no pine tree, no bug spray. This is a spray-once-and-walk-through-naked fragrance. Gave it an extra lippie because I can KIND OF see the appeal now.

EDIT2: Gosh, I keep improving the score. Definitely don't spray this concentrated on your wrists or elbows and sniff yourself to judge the fragrance. Be brave on a day in and spread a small spray over your forearms. Notice the sillage instead of sniffing up close. Definitely have a more balanced opinion now! Mature, chocolatey, vanilla-y yummyness. Still not a fan of the patch but it doesn't feature as heavily when thinly applied.

EDIT3: Idk what happened, the stinkbomb made me love it! At any rate it's perfect for Christmas. I actually wore it outside today after a snowstorm and it was perfect. I just made sure to put it on an hour before.

The scent reminds me of getting a hug from my rich aunt (I believe she wore original Shalimar) while at a birthday party full of sweets and good times. The patch features, but balances out the sweet notes with spiciness/smoke/cleanliness after one hour of sparse skin wear.

Angel is a dominatrix. She will beat you, assault you, and just when you've given up, AND NOT A MOMENT SOONER, she will show you the glory of God. Vera Wang Princess is the soft, kind, unoffensive version of Angel. But Queen Angel has her place when you need to show your authority and strength. Respect her majesty, apply carefully and only in appropriate situations where you need the strength, and you will be rewarded with amazing comfort while you Take Control of Shit.

Sometimes, you need to smell like a rich white lady with questionable, but expensive taste, in order to feel in control and taken seriously.

on 2/26/2016 12:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Favorite fragrance. Hands down. Pricey but only use it for special occasions.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I like the fragrane but it can be a bit too strong, not an everyday frgrance for me. I only wear on special occasions, and when I do wear it people recognize it

on 4/26/2013 6:16:00 PM

No thanks. This is absolutely disgusting. It smells like incense, BAD ones, and kinda like my mom & dads duffel bags they would bring home from deployments, and shoe polish now that I think of it. Thank goodness i only have free samples, and no one hated me enough to give this as a gift.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This, to me, smells like the new OFF family mosquito spray...it's awful. The SA's in Dillard's sprayed this on blue ribbons and were handing them out it the store. I really didn't want a ribbon but my over willing but amazingly cute son grabbed the ribbon because...well he's four and someone had a ribbon so he took it lol! Anyways, when we got back to the car I almost couldn't stand to be in the car bc this scent was so strong and artificial smelling. I had to deal with it the whole way home until I couldn't sneak it away from my son :( I'm definitely on the "hate" end of the spectrum.

Angel is the most overrated, overpriced and over worn perfume I have ever experienced in my life! I have tried this numerous times because I thought 'surely it must get better?' but it never does! It smells of body odour, pee and bug spray. I got into my friends car and she said to me 'What is that foul smell?!' Everytime I smell this on someone I feel so ill. To all the people who wear this: PLEASE USE SPARINGLY because quite frankly it is disgusting.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I received this for my birthday from my man...it's his favorite perfume, other than Dolce and Gabana's Light Blue which he's already gifted me and which is completely different.

If you don't like baby powder, you'll hate this. I have a baby who's still in diapers so I kind of love the smell of baby everything. If you think "young" scents=fruity, this is not for you.

Also, you MUST wait for this to settle on your skin (as you should with every perfume you try)...the initial spray of this is not it's true scent. It's extremely strong at first and not what it ends up smelling like after it sets. I can understand how people are overwhelmed by it at first.

I dislike "old lady" scents and most musks...I consider Red Door an old lady scent, to give you an idea of my opinion of old lady...and I could see how this could evolve to smell that way on some people.

This perfume is amazing with my body/skin's chemistry and fades into the softest, gentle, sultry, velvety, silky, sexiest scent I've ever worn. So rich but somehow still light and airy, feminine and girly, not at all too mature for me (in my 20's). I feel like Angel is a perfect name for the way this smells on me after a couple of hours...it's just such a romantic, lovely, through and through female, angelic scent. It smells like it's price, too...expensive lol.

I guess the people who say it smells like chemicals or bug spray have a totally different body chemistry, b/c this smells nothing like raid on my skin.

It's nice to finally have a staple perfume that smells young on me that doesn't smell like a cheap fruity drug store body spray (also why I love dior light blue...that's more of a summer scent, though).

A little goes a long way...so if you're a multi-sprayer, you're probably going to suffocate yourself and others around you. It's best to spray this at least a half hour before you go out so it has time to melt in.

on 7/24/2012 1:26:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

This meshes SO well with my body chemistry... it lasts a good 10-12 hours on me. I have about 15 or so bottles of various perfumes and I think this is going to end up being my signature scent... makes me feel sexy and pretty when I wear it. In a bad girl kind of way lol. It just has that "smell" to it. My 81 year old, very stylish and hip grandmother wears this, and she knows what's up. Love, love, love it. I would repurchase if I ever run out (one spray does it for me, this is definitely NOT a perfume you want to bathe in!).

on 7/23/2012 5:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

This is my favorite night time, winter, and fall perfume.
That being said I feel that this is too strong to wear during the day (but the body lotion is appropriate strength for day) and the people who liberally douse themselves with this daily are the ones that have me escaping the elevator.
This is one of 2 perfumes I have found in my 26 years that actually lasts and lasts on my skin; it is the only perfume I have ever had that I can spray on at 4pm the day before and still smell on me when I wake up the next morning.

What more can be said about Angel? It's strong, sweet and distinct. I love it and get lots of compliments.

But It is frustrating to pay $100 for a bottle to smell like everyone else...
And my mother asks me not to wear it around her!

Popular Fragrances