Thierry Mugler Angel Eau de Parfum

Thierry Mugler  Angel Eau de Parfum

3.2

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I'm really on the fence with this one. So many strong, often contradicting notes. And when I say strong, this is Burberry level, fill-the room strong. I initially tried this when ten or so samples popped up in my magazines, and even with it's weirdness I find it alluring. Hard to stop coming back to, but not something to pick up without testing first.

The good: The samples came in a very unique cardboard spray package, and while I prefer the tall thin bottle to the star shaped packaging, it is refillable, and for that it gets 5 stars on packaging. The scent itself has some very strong notes, with patchouli, bergamot and sandalwood battling it out only to mellow into the gourmand and fruity side of things. There's a lot going on in this, but I love bergamot and nothing I own is quite like this.

The bad: This is too strong to wear around lots of people, I prefer it in cooler weather, this is definitely not a daily scent for me but something I reach for when I want drama.

The ugly: I've never worn another fragrance that is quite as polarizing. People either really love or really hate this.

on 11/22/2017 11:36:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

Uhg, my Mom loves this stuff. I'm not familiar with scent notes, but this stuff is STRONG and not in a nice way. Really not a fan.

on 11/22/2017 10:53:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

ORIGINAL 1 STAR REVIEW
I'm an infamous mediator. I see both sides to everything, so this highly polarizing fragrance drew too much curiousity to pass up! Surely people were exaggerating, and it's not something you either LOVE or you HATE? The top selling fragrance in the world, surely the haters were just rebelling against the popularity of an otherwise decent perfume?

I braced myself, applied one spritz, and was hit with a strong bug spray, Christmas tree, and soap smell. I perserved. An hour in, the patchouli settles down and the honey, foody notes start peeking through. It stays like this till end on me. While people complain that this smells ''dirty'' to me it smells clean. Far too clean.

At no point did I feel angelic or beautiful. If anything, it is as if I was a very naughty girl who was punished for eating too many sweets by having my mouth washed out with soap. The soap with the bare trace of the sweets is exactly how this smells. Any temptation that the gourmand might provoke is dashed with the soapy notes, and not in a sexy teasing way, a very WRONG way. Like this is something that will kill you if you eat it. I absolutely agree with another reviewer that said that the combination of edible + inedible is nauseating. And not in the rude way, the actual stomach-turning way.

So there you have it. I wanted to like this or at the very least see the good and bad equally, but this is just... bad. I genuinely wish I could smell the beautiful sweet notes that everyone who loves it professes to smell. Oh well! I'm convinced that most people who love it had to acquire the taste. Considering I don't believe I've smelled this on anyone before in my life, at least rest assured that you will smell unique.

EDIT: Okay, so I tried this again, making sure to diffuse the fragrance over a large area of the body instead of concentrating a spray. Definitely feeling more sweet notes, a general softer feel to it, no pine tree, no bug spray. This is a spray-once-and-walk-through-naked fragrance. Gave it an extra lippie because I can KIND OF see the appeal now.

EDIT2: Gosh, I keep improving the score. Definitely don't spray this concentrated on your wrists or elbows and sniff yourself to judge the fragrance. Be brave on a day in and spread a small spray over your forearms. Notice the sillage instead of sniffing up close. Definitely have a more balanced opinion now! Mature, chocolatey, vanilla-y yummyness. Still not a fan of the patch but it doesn't feature as heavily when thinly applied.

EDIT3: Idk what happened, the stinkbomb made me love it! At any rate it's perfect for Christmas. I actually wore it outside today after a snowstorm and it was perfect. I just made sure to put it on an hour before.

The scent reminds me of getting a hug from my rich aunt (I believe she wore original Shalimar) while at a birthday party full of sweets and good times. The patch features, but balances out the sweet notes with spiciness/smoke/cleanliness after one hour of sparse skin wear.

Angel is a dominatrix. She will beat you, assault you, and just when you've given up, AND NOT A MOMENT SOONER, she will show you the glory of God. Vera Wang Princess is the soft, kind, unoffensive version of Angel. But Queen Angel has her place when you need to show your authority and strength. Respect her majesty, apply carefully and only in appropriate situations where you need the strength, and you will be rewarded with amazing comfort while you Take Control of Shit.

Sometimes, you need to smell like a rich white lady with questionable, but expensive taste, in order to feel in control and taken seriously.

I love the bottle and the designs of mugler products in general -but that's about it. I think Mugler is a marketing genius to convince people that this scent is amazing when it in fact smells like men's aftershave with an added sickly smell.
I have encountered people who have body chemistry with it that makes it smell nice on them, but for most of those I smell it on, and myself - it's gross. Not for me.

on 6/7/2016 8:12:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Yes I am likely to buy it again despite I gave a low rating. I like that it smells different, statement-like. The problem I have with it are the lasting power and sillage. I've put 3 spritz because of the reviews. It smelled nice first few hours. Now, 6 h of wearing it I cannot detect it at all.
I bought it in Spain, at duty free, the 75 ml bottle, EDP, in case that makes a difference (bought in May 2016).
I have the same problem with Mugler's Alien, but not with Angel Muse.

Angel is very strong and one of those perfumes that literally smells different on everyone. I walked by a woman the other day in DSW and noticed how amazing she smelled. I was going to ask her what perfume she was wearing, and then realized it was Angel.
Also, I think a little goes a long way. Too much of this perfume is really too much.

on 2/26/2016 12:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Favorite fragrance. Hands down. Pricey but only use it for special occasions.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I actually really love the smell of Angel. It is beautiful, although not for the faint of heart. It is a bit foody and reminds me of drizzling, spicy gingerbread, but the more sophisticated version! It's deep, dark, almost incense-like,there's a chocolate note in there, and it makes me want to keep smelling it. All of these qualities describe how I like my scents. I can smell the patchouli in this. The downside: a. it's expensive, although they have the refill bottles and b. some people absolutely HATE it. My mom can't stand to even be around the smell. It is definitely not for the office, and it is seriously one of the most powerful perfumes. A little bit goes a very long way, and I like to be mindful of choosing when to use it. This is why I ranked it 4 lippies out of 5. That being said, I have gotten compliments. I suppose it is a love/hate thing. I've been told it smells very sexy. I'd describe it that way too. Sexy, bold, unique.

on 8/13/2015 1:30:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

as a fan of sweet, candy type of perfumes, i'm surprised i don't like this. the lasting power is excellent as i prefer to have my scents with strong sillage too. but there is some note in this that ruins it for me. i can't quite put my finger on it. alien will remain my favourite Thierry scent

on 10/11/2014 12:04:00 PM

for me to write a review of a fragrance the first time i try it, it must be pretty outstanding one way or another, and angel truly is. i think most of the negativity surrounding angel is that the fragrance market has been bowdlerized to the point where whatever you buy, at whatever price, smells like cheap shampoo. nothing wrong with that, but why wear perfume at all then? why spend $100ish on fragrance when you can just buy a pleasant body spray for $15 tops?

angel dates to 1992, a time when the first "dumbed down" fragrances came on the market (and eventually took over). the modern 21st century nose will associate strong, bold scents with "old ladies" and while i certainly don't love all such perfumes, i do prefer a heavier, richer, truer fragrance. this is one of them.

this is an extremely well-orchastrated gourmand and i find that while i hate patchouli on its own, it has been blended well here to give depth to chocolate and candy notes.

i will almost certainly get a bottle of this one day (or maybe a body cream). this is not necessarily an every day scent (it can be) but this makes me think of fall/winter festivities in particular, just beautiful!!