Kerastase Elixir Ultime

3.8

Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethiconol, Zea Mays / Corn Germ Oil, Argania Spinosa Oil / Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Camellia Kissi / Camellia Kissi Seed Oil, Pentaclethra Macroloba Oil / Pentaclethra Macroloba Seed Oil, Linalool, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Limonene, Coumarine, Benzyl Alcohol, Parfum / Fragrance.

I fu*kin hate Moroccan Oil and had to wait so long to buy this.
Moroccan oil has such yucky ingredients and barely contains any aargan oil, it's five silicones before it even gets to aargan oil.Then the rest is fragrances and dyes to give it that amber "aargan oil" appearance. That great smell is actually a banned fragrance ingredient, a lice and scabies pesticide, that is linked to cancers! I am sick and pissed at how they market their products and push them at the salons, they are garage! It makes my hair so greasy and leaves so much residue that I have to use a clarify shampoo. I've been so disappointed with that brand.
Both start off with cyclomethicone, which evaporates when applied, which is the best silicone out there. It helps actual oils and nutrients go into the hair shaft.
Here is when they get different Kerastase has Dimethiconol another superb silicone compared to dimethicone (found in all drugstore serums) in Moroccan Oil, which I try and to avoid any product with "cone" at the end. It's why M.O feels like thick serum and Kerastase feels like actually oil. I found this great website that breaks down all silicones scientifically.
In Kerastase the next four ingredients are all oil with good abilities to penetrate the hair cuticle. Corn germ oil, Aargan oil is actually the four ingredient,Camellia Kissi Seed oil (green tea oil), and Pracaxi oil.
Next ingredient is Linalool a colourless liquid with a soft, sweet odour. It occurs naturally in many essential oils, such as ho wood oil, tangerine, spearmint, rose, neroli, mandarin, lemon, lime, lavender, cypress, grapefruit, cinnamon, chamomile, palmarossa and ylang ylang. It's an anti inflammatory and studies show it can reduced tumors and prevent cancer.
Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, the eighth ingredient is for fragrance but can cause skin reactions in people with sensitive skin.
The next ingredient is Limonene a chemical found in the peels of citrus fruits and in other plants. It is used to make medicine.In pharmaceuticals, limonene is added to help medicinal ointments and creams penetrate the skin or hair.
Tenth ingredient is Coumarin which occurs naturally in a wide variety of plants including tonka bean, lavender, lovage, yellow sweet clover, and woodruff.
Eleventh ingredient is Benzyl alcohol a neutral alcohol mostly used as preservative and has no effect on how hair looks and feels. It's not a "good" fatty alcohol but not a drying alcohol found in hairsprays etc.
The last ingredient is perfume.

Bottom line is if you feel like all serums cause build up and do nothing its probably because they are all heavy silicones with maybe one or two, some none- oils. Don't be charged 30+ dollars for something that is in every drugstore serums that cost a couple dollars to make. Kerastase has a huge following and loyal customers who know they are getting a high end products. I believe this is the best serum out there whether you do it for the shiney healthy appearance or to seal in moisture.

But if your one of those people who are anti silicones, alcohol, or fragrances. Then don't be surprise if you pass on this ingredient list. I never understand how some people will be so anti silicone,alcohol, fragrances when its in some of the best hair products out there. But they use stuff like baking soda on their hair, which is so eroding on the hair cuticles, and drying. But hey to each their own... Just buy 100% natural oils like coco, coconut, avocado, and use that on your hair but for me they cause my to look like a 90's grunge rocker, hard to wash out, and clog my drains. I'm all for green and natural products but some just don't fit into my lifestyle, or applicable to my hair needs and concerns. What's the point of any product or oil if you have to wash your hair more that twice...it negates the whole purpose.

Pro's
Glass bottle with pump
Wash out easily
Leaves hair glossy, and healthy looking
Seals temporary spilt ends
Smells great
Light enough for really thin blonde hair
Absorbs fast

Con's
Ingredient list might put people off who don't like any type of silicones, alcohol or fragrances.

My favorite oils/serums are in order
Kerastase elixir
Chi's silk infutreatment
Paul Mitchell's super skinny serum
Marc Anthony coconut and Shea butter oil treatment
All others make my hair limp greasy and hard to style. Plus leave tons of residue.

I've been using kerastase elixir Ultime for years to detangle my long hair and it is hands down the best hair oil on the market. It leaves my hair shiny without being greasy or weighed down. I had extremely damaged ends and this oil made them look normal. The scent is amazing too.

A few months ago my hair stylist convinced me to chop 8 inches of hair off, getting rid of the damaged part. Now that my hair is really healthy I don't need it to detangle my hair anymore but I don't hesitate to use a smidgen of it if my ends feel dry.

Everyone should have a bottle of this in their arsenal, especially if they have damaged hair.

I have thick, wavy hair that has recently got very dry due to dying, lifestyle etc. I used Morroconoil in the past with ok results but I have been using this for a couple of weeks with honestly amazing results! I'm using quite a lot to be honest so guessing it might not last long but the condition was terrible so going strong for a while. I'm using 2 pumps after washing and towel drying and then a little as a finisher also. My hair is now light, glossy and sitting perfectly, complete change around in 2 weeks! Recommend for thick hair.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I honestly can't see what the fuss is all about and find Elixir Ultime completely average. After just looking at the ingredients I knew that but then again my hair doesn't like products with cyclopentasiloxane high on the ingredients list. I tried it in several ways and didn't notice an actual improvement on my hair, only a glossy film over them. I use it as a finishing product and it makes them look and feel softer but the effect doesn't last. It didn't weighten my hair down at all though. Lastly, I find L'oreal's Extraordinary Oil to be almost the same thing but I like the smell of Kerastase better. Wouldn't repurchase.

This product is a pricey number but it's the only hair oil that I've actually noticed makes a difference in my hair.

In the past I've tried the Macademia oil, the Joico oil and argan oil and I really can't say I've seen an active change.

This product smells quite nice. I use 2 drops on wet hair and i massage into the hair and what I like is that it absorbs quickly and doesn't leave an oily residue on my hands either, when I apply it.

Keep in mind that my hair isn't very damaged, but I have noticed my hair is much more soft and less frizzy when using this. If I could return all the hair oils I've previously used, this is the only one I would keep and repurchase.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

This is a light, high quality, finishing oil. I have tried using it on wet hair, and in large quantities, and I have found you get the best out of it after blow drying and lightly apply afterwards - it softens the brow dry slightly. It's a finisher and a nice one, though I find it's expensive and doesn't really give me particularly noticeable results, but it is a pleasure to use, very soft. and does make hair softer. It lasts a super long time. I think it would be best on very healthy hair, to add gloss. On damaged or frizzy hair it doesn't do all that much, though pleasant to use. Given it's so lovely to use I would buy again, but it doesn't add as much to my hair as I'd like.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

Hope this helps for people who aren't getting the best out of this product. I use this oil as a sealant. After washing and conditioning I towel dry my hair and then spray it with a moisture spray (joico moisture spray... Blue bottle). Then I use this oil after to lock in the moisture spray and it works so much better :) read somewhere that oils should be used as sealants and I've not looked back. Great stuff and smells beautiful :)

I use this product as a pre-shampoo conditioner. It lightly coats my fried ends, and protects them from the shampoo I must use for my oil producing (I can make OPEC jealous) scalp. It does a good job. But I'm sure there are other less expensive alternatives available that will work just as well. I will say that I received a generous trial bottle (1.7 oz) from someplace this past Christmas season, so I didn't actually purchase this product.

I have fine but lots of it black tinted hair.
I want my hair to feel weightless , not flat.
My hair is dry but I get oily roots . So I wanted a treatment that wou
Don't make it greasy,
I applied 1 pump full mainly on the ends and slightly everywhere else .
It did feel greasy , and I dreaded drying my hair.

I shouldn't have worried at all. My hair felt feather light soft clean and super shiny!
No greasiness at all.
Will defiantly buy again!

Very good silicone-based hair serum, but there are many cheaper options out there. I like this because it adds shine, smoothness, manageability and doesn't weigh my hair down. Provides heat protection as well. It really is a good product but I also like CHI's Silk Infusion and Paul Mitchell's Super-Skinny Serum. And those are both much more affordable than Kerastase.

For reference my hair is thick, dry, wavy-texture, color-treated, and I heat-style it regularly. So it's important that I take care of it with the right products. I always use some type of leave-in before blow drying, and this one works great for me. But I don't have to spend this kind of money to get these results, so I won't buy this one again.

Popular Styling Products