no images

package quality

price range

Reviews

3 years ago

I sampled this and now I wish I hadn't because it's so comforting and nice, but it's a perfume I think that would work better in fall and winter so I might purchase it then. We'll see. It smells like a spicy vanilla. Vanilla mixed with spices and sitting by a fireplace or campfire. I can't really discern the notes but it's so lovely. Even in this humid summer heat it's not too much. But I have a dabber sample not a spray sample so perhaps it would be a little much for summer were I to have sprayed it on as I usually do with perfume. Very beautiful scent and I most likely will be getting this in the 1.7 oz size. I need to compare it to the eau de parfum but this is lovely.

About reviewer (26 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinCombination, Other, Not Sure

HairOther, Other, Other

4 years ago

Love it! If you want a vanilla without smelling like a cookie (the Jessica Simpson line comes to mind) this is tasteful elegant and subtle. And lasts on me all day. Worth the money. You get what you pay for with Diptyque!!

About reviewer (22 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinAcne-prone, Olive

HairBrunette

EyesBlack

4 years ago

I have a 15 ml manufacturers spray vial of ED, one of five fragrances in a holiday coffret. It's fresh, unisex (office appropriate and three season), woody, green with light incense and vanilla musk. In comparison with Andy Tauers extremely opinionated Incense Flash or Vanilla Flash, ED is relatively conservative and quiet. Very nice. This is vanilla, but not particularly gourmand or sweet that way. In its favor, it is not powdery. Light enough where I do not mind spraying, and I am a dabber and dislike sillage. Its a vanilla that will not be at all cloying even in the warmer weather. Well done, and because it's so wearable, I will probably reach for it often. However, it's not something that elicits great passion. Agree with the review of Gother below that it somewhat lacks personality. Edit : I don't often reach for this mainly because I forget it exists (i rotate through a number of fragrances and this brand is not top of mind) but if you want a wearable, friendly vanilla that doesn't smell like a cupcake, this is a possibility. It could also double (like others in the Diptyque coffret) as a restrained, upscale room spray.

About reviewer (517 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinCombination, Olive, Warm

HairBrunette, Straight, Medium

5 years ago

A great vanilla spice, more vanilla than spice and woods, but all are present throughout the fragrance's wear, especially frankincense. A unique fragrance element. Also the unique aspect of juniper lends a subtle fruitiness that does not take away from this being a subtle vanilla spice, but gives it an almost green effervenscence that makes the fragrance at least approachable for warm months as well as colder, at least for me, but I am not a traditionally fruity/sweet floral/sugary summer fragrance person, so that's something. Got this for my Mom as it is more vanilla than overtly purely woodsy or spicy, which is what I would have preferred slightly to what this actually is, a more vanilla fragrance, and she likes some vanilla to her woods and spices sometimes too. To note, she likes Burberry Brit and was a fan of the original formula of Bath and Body Works Warm Vanilla Sugar befire the modern formula with added shea butter that diluted the scent and BBW classic but usually unavailable White Tea and Ginger. Note. This review pertains to the Eau de Toilette of this fragrance. Eau de Parfum is said to be different in ratios of the notes, though all notes are still present and are the same. I have not smelled/tried the EDp.

About reviewer (463 reviews)

SkinVery Dry, Fair, Cool

HairBlond, Wavy, Medium

EyesBlue

1.0

5 years ago

this just smells like cheap incense on my skin. no vanilla. nothing sweet. very disappointed

About reviewer (1 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair

HairBlond

EyesGreen

5 years ago

Subtle, spicy (peppery) vanilla scent. Not too in your face. Love it!!!

About reviewer (3 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairOther

6 years ago

Someone recommended it so I sprayed it on in the store. At first was like, "ew" then it grew on me. I refuse to pay for it, but everytime I go to the store, I spray it all over me. Lower the price and I'll buy it.

About reviewer (75 reviews)

SkinOther, Other, Not Sure

HairOther, Other, Other

1.0

6 years ago

Sorry folks, I hated this one. Normally rich, woody vanillas are right up my alley but Eau Duelle leaves me feeling queasy. The vanilla has a distinctly indigestible feeling--sickly sweet and slightly nausea inducing. It's not a badly made perfume, but obviously there is some aromachemical in it that does not agree with me.

About reviewer (114 reviews)

Age

SkinAcne-prone, Fair, Warm

HairBrunette, Straight, Medium

6 years ago

As a former diptyque employee, I must confess that their scents are not for me. I can totally appreciate the artistry and timelessness of the fragrances, but would never really buy them of my own volition...with the exception of Eau Duelle. I am a die hard gourmand scent wearer. Since diptyque fragrances are largely derived from natural essences, foody scents are out of the question. Duelle is the closest they do to a gourmand scent and it is absolutely divine. Another reviewer put it best: this is vanilla, all grown up. The bitter burst of black tea and juniper keeps the fragrance's opening lively and interesting. The cardamom and saffron elements are completely unique IMO and not something everyone's nose can detect; very subtle and warm. Overall, the scent fades to a delicate incense, which reminds me of Indian holidays at home with my family. This EDT is incredibly sophisticated and since the vanilla in question is bourbon vanilla, it does not err on the side of BBW or anything generic. I would never relegate this perfume to a season. It is always perfect to me and blends beautifully with other diptyque scents. A must for vanilla-lovers everywhere.

About reviewer (343 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinNormal, Medium Brown, Warm

HairBrown, Wavy, Medium

7 years ago

Eau Duelle, AKA a "vanilla for grown ups", manages to stand up from the innumerable crowd of vanilla fragrances thanks to a spicy-musky-resiny combination that delivers something quite unique: besides a concrete, sweet but not sugary bourbon vanilla as a top note, I can smell spices, namely cardamom, pink pepper, juniper and saffron; then come a bunch of resins to give it substantiality: elemi, olibanum, ambergris... and a squeeze of bergamot, plus black tea, to add some sharpness and prevent the baker's shop effect. The musky base adds warmth and skinlike effect. It's a nice and pleasant fragrance, but it somewhat lacks some personality. It's the kind of fragrance one would wear at a Sunday function, or at a job interview. It would be lovely as a scent for my favourite body lotion, but I go for something wilder when I have to chose a fragrance. So, even if I agree in calling this a "grown up vanilla", I'd leave it for the younger girls (in fact, there's also a slight bubble gum and candy impression in the overall effect).

About reviewer (123 reviews)

Age30-35