Arm and Hammer - Essentials Natural Deodorant

Arm and Hammer - Essentials Natural Deodorant

3.8

Unscented: Dipropylene Glycol, Water, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda), Anthemis Nobilis (Chamomile) Flower Oil, Coriandrum Sativum (Coriander) Fruit Oil, Pelargonium Graveolens (Geranium) Flower Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Oil, Triethyl Citrate, Triclosan, Tetrasodium EDTA, Allantoin

on 1/4/2017 9:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I've been wanting to try this for ages but didn't because it contained triclosan. Recently I took a look at the label and saw the triclosan was gone and bought it. I SHOULD have checked come of the ingredients I was uncertain of before buying it. THE TRICLOSAN HAS BEEN REPLACED WITH OCTENIDINE HCL. And if you do some reading you'll find it's mentioned along with Triclosan. Octenidine HCL is used in the medical field to sterilize either skin or utensils before surgery. It's also considered an antibiotic. Will they tell us later on down the road that this stuff causes bad effects on the body after it's been in this product for however many years? The thought creeps me out. I will say though that this deodorant DOES WORK and it's kept me BO free for three days (though I can say my sweat smells odd, not bad, but odd.). I was hoping after reading the label that it would smell as good as it sounds. Some of the ingredients listed are: coriander oil, rosemary oil and lavender oil. These three oils sounded great but are sadly drowned out by the artificial fragrance that's included. The scent of this is like a man's sport deodorant and is quite strong the first few hours. Thankfully the sport scent wears off and it smells a bit herbal/floral which IMO smells unisex. I will be using this up but after that I'll be on the hunt again. I think that the Arm & Hammer advertising on the packaging is misleading as it sounds like it's the baking soda that's helping with stopping underarm odor but it's really the Octenidine HCL, again, something used to kill germs in the medical field.

on 9/7/2015 9:53:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This is my HG. Why did I not discover this product sooner. I have to note I have the new formulation which they omit triclosan. I used to use Degree Silver Ion, which was wonderful. They discontinued it, so I tried Dove, which has the same Silver Chloride in it. Dove caused redness and a lot of irritation, so I had to discontinue it 2 days after starting it. I have an allergic reaction to the active Aluminum found in antiperspirants so I can't use any of them. I tried this one and it really works. It doesn't just mask the odor, but neutralizes it and has a very pleasant fragrance to it. I really enjoy it. My under arms never felt better and are irritation free. I am so happy I found it and will continue to use it from now on. It's also dirt cheap, so it's very wallet friendly. Too bad I didn't know about this product sooner. Would have saved me a lot of grief.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a true deodorant... NOT an anti-perspirant. I have sensitive armpits that often break out in an itchy, lumpy red rash if I use any type of antiperspirant/deodorant that they don't get along with (I have yet to figure out the ingredient that makes them itch). I ran out of my Secret Clinical Strength for sensitive skin, and decided to be brave and try some of my sister's deodorant (Arm and Hammer). It smells nice, it glides on easily (though it takes a few minutes to dry), and it kept me from stinking all day; best of all, I didn't develop a rash a few days later! It didn't keep me from sweating, though. I told her about it and she said, "Well duh, read the label... DEODORANT, not ANTIPERSPIRANT." So yeah. Works great if you just get stinky and son't sweat.

on 12/19/2012 10:56:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Best aluminum-free deodorant I've ever tried. It is also the cheapest, at a mere $1.98?! I can't believe I didn't try this sooner. It's not exactly glamorous packaging, and the "fresh" scent is very masculine (it stays with you all day too, so you better just get used to it.).. I guess that's why I tried the toms of maine/kiss my face/lavanila routes first. But this beats all of them out in terms of odor protection. No matter how active I am throughout my day, this keeps me smelling fresh and clean, albeit a bit manly. But i'd rather smell like a clean man than a girl that reeks of B.O. so to me this is still a winner!

on 9/18/2012 5:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The triclosan is what makes this a winner...or a loser. Triclosan is an antibacterial agent so it essentially kills the bacteria that cause underarm stink. I bought this and a similar one by Dove (for men). I use the Dove men's deodorant though because I am not fond of the smell of this. The men's deodorant is a pretty unisex smell. I think I am just not a fan of citrus scents, but it isn't terrible.

I've been using plain deodorants for almost a year. This will not stop you from sweating, but it will stop you from smelling like a wild beast most of the month. I have noticed personally I tend to stink really badly around that special time of the month. It just be pheromones or something, whatever it is only the deodorants with triclosan have helped minimize the stink.

I won't lie, I do worry about the triclosan because it is over used in all sorts of products and leads to bacterial resistance. Unfortunately so far it is the only stuff that has worked for me and until I find something comparable I will probably stick to these formulas. The only real natural deodorant I have used that worked was homemade coconut oil, tea tree oil and baking soda, but the baking soda burned my skin after prolonged use. I have also tried one by Lavanila that was okay, but not wonderful. Still it has more natural so perhaps I will give that a try next.

So I give this a thumbs up for a non-anti-antiperspirant deodorant, but a thumbs down for the triclosan (even though that is what makes it wonderful). It is too bad that triclosan is so nasty because it really does cut down the stink.

Also, a note for the sweaty people and natural deodorants, in my own personal experience I have noticed after I "detoxed" from regular deodorants I find I sweat less. It was gross at first, but you do get used to it and then you stop noticing it. You will have to reapply deodorant, but I had to do that even when I used full-force Degree.

Good luck! I'm always interested to hear if anyone has found a wonderful natural deodorant that is non-irritating and minimizes smell. :)

This does nothing. I still sweated and stank just as much as I do without it.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

So sad to find out this has triclosan and the dangers of it...right after I just bought and used a new stick. How did I not know the dangers?! I used this while I was pregnant to avoid aluminum in my baby's body, now I find out it can cause birth defects? Yikes.
I gave it a 2 bc it really does work amazingly well, I prefer it to aluminum based deodorants. Add a little cornstarch baby powder for extra sweat absorption on days you need it--perfection.
*sigh* I guess I'll finish this off (since I'm on such a tight budget I can't afford to replace it, and baby powder solo makes me worry it's not quite enough)...if anyone has any suggestions on aluminum free deo that works (toms of Maine is awful for me), please holla!

on 1/24/2012 10:23:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is great for an aluminum/paraben free deodorant! The only thing its missing is more scents.

This is my boyfriend's favourite deodorant, but we recently discovered that it contains triclosan, which is a known endocrine disrupter. A lot of governments are looking into banning it. Please check it out if you're deciding whether to buy or re-buy, and decide if it's worth the risk! I wanted to buy this for myself, but I'm not going to as long as it has this ingredient.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This is the best deodorant I have ever used AND it's paraben and aluminum free! I have no odor for the whole day when I use this and I haven't noticed any issues with sweating, although I don't tend to sweat a lot. I've tried the usual deodorants as well as various natural alternatives and nothing works like this stuff. It also doesn't get white stuff on my clothes. It's $2-$3 at Hannafords and well worth it, although sometimes I have to hunt around for a store that sells it. I also found that it works even better if you dab a bit of baking soda on top which is great for odor protection when doing physical activity.

Popular Deodorants