Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate

Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate
Midnight Recovery ConcentrateMidnight Recovery Concentrate

3.5

Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Squalane, Rosa Canina Fruit Oil/Rosehip Seed Oil, Oenothera Biennis Oil/Evening Primrose Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis Oil/Jojoba Seed Oil, Coriandrum Sativum Oil/Coriander Seed Oil, Tocopherol, Lavandula Angustifolia oil/Lavender Oil, Pelargonium Graveolens Flower Oil/Geranium Oil, Linalool, Rosmarinus Officinalis Leaf Oil/Rosemary Leaf Oil, Citronellol, Geraniol, Lavandula Hybrida Oil, Cucumis Sativus Extract/Cucumber Fruit Extract, Curcuma Longa Extract/Turmeric Root Extract, Limonene, Citral, Sclareolide, Rosa Spp/Rose Flower Oil, Jasminum Officinale Extract/Jasmine Extract, Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil/Sunflower Seed Oil fmla 685449/18 Code F.I.L: D39273/5

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This oil does work! I have combination acne prone skin and was really afraid that face oils would block my pores and cause break outs at my face. They brought me this face oil as a birthday gift, 3 months ago, and I started using it every night. It really makes a difference! The skin glows the next morning and appears rejuvenated as if you have had a long sleep. I also noticed that it lightens up the skin tone. It didn't cause me any blemishes and my skin did not feel oily at all. It feels more like a dry oil when applied on skin.
The only weakness is the packaging. Firstly, yes the glass bottle feels and looks more luxurious but it is heavy and fragile. Secondly, and most importantly the bottleneck is big and open and as a result I accidentally spilled half of the product in the sink as I dropped it the other day. Apart from that I totally recommend it to every skin type. It does not make miracles but it really helps the skin look rested and illuminated. Oh! And the price is great as well!
Cheers!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I'm starting to think there's some kind of parallel universe out there where everyone loves Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate! If you think I'm exaggerating just take a look at their website where 967 out of 1012 reviewers (that's 96%) would recommend to a friend! Well luckily for those in this universe - where we (ahem) learn to take things with a pinch of salt, there's trusty MUA and I am pretty sure the 58% of reviewers on here who would re-purchase is a much more realistic figure than what Kiehl's would have us believe!

Anyways onto the product...it's a mixed bag for me. My skin is oily/combination and although this doesn't dry me out, it doesn't do a great deal for me either. The first actual oil in here is Rosehip, which is a 'dry' oil, followed by Jojoba which mimics sebum and good for oily/combination skin types as it helps regulate oil production. But then you have the drying/astringent oils (Lavender, Rosemary, Geranium) and suddenly it makes sense as to why so many are not responding well to it. If you're sensitive and not leaning towards oily I would not recommend this product. Personally I haven't seen any changes good or bad. It goes on feeling oily, probably due to the Squalane but then vanishes quickly - possibly due to the drying essential oils.
The 2 drops I use is enough to cover my face but by morning it's as though I hadn't applied anything at all the night before. My skin literally drinks it up and hydration wise is no different at all compared to when I don't use a moisturizer or serum the night before. Skin texture and complexion are no different either. So much for the promised radiance boost!

The only discernible benefit I seem to get from this is a good night's sleep when I've used it (due to Lavender which this smells strongly of), but at $49 for 1oz I'd rather just pick up a bottle of Lavender essential oil for $6 and get the exact same effect.

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

(As I've sampled 100s of skin, hair and m/u products over the last decade and a half, I thought it might be useful to share my top 10 must-have products, subject to change if and when I come across something more effective. I love constantly trying out new stuff - usually sample sizes via e-bay, also plenty courtesy of a friend who works at Sephora)

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: 'Nuxe' - Reve De Miel Lip Balm
4. Cleanser: 'Paula's Choice' - Skin Balancing Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Foot File/Callus/Heel Treatment - 'Microplane' - Colossal Pedicure Rasp Foot File
9. Ingrown Hair Treatment - 'Priva Shave' - Post Hair Removal Treatment
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment

on 1/5/2019 7:36:00 PM

I love kiehls as a brand, and I love facial oils - but this wasn't a favorite. Not enough moisture, might even be a bit drying. My skin looked a bit dull and dehydrated. No breakouts, but my skin didn't look good. Was hoping for much more from this oil. I tried the cleansing oil with this and found that to be very drying as well. Back to Fresh Seaberry for me.

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

I really want to love this product, I really do. It breaks my heart to write a bad review for a product that has such a large cult following and has been recommended by friends.

I have normal/combination skin that can be prone to dry patches. I have only had this product for three weeks but even after this short time I know it will not work for me. Such a pity because it was so damn expensive!

CONS:
- Dried out my whole face
- Strong lavender scent
- Price

PROS:
- Spreads easily
- A little goes a long way (three drops is enough to cover your whole face)
- Dries quickly
- Lightweight feel
- Easy to use

This product completely dried out my whole face. Product descriptions and online reviews say how this product restores moisture and is perfect for dry skin but my experience is far from pleasant. It has left my skin feeling very very dry and there are visible dry flakes all over my face which never happens to me!

The product is a blend of lavender and other essential oils and it has a very strong lavender smell so if you do not like lavender then boo, but if you do, then yay. I, however, do not so I find the smell quite intense.

The product applies really well. It spreads easily and three drops is perfect to cover your whole face. The concentrate also dries quickly and feels lightweight on the skin.

I will continue to try this product and maybe one day it will work and I can write a good review, but for now it is a no.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Causing breakouts
I want to love this product, but it disappoints me. It causes me a lot of breakouts around my face.I never have any acne on my cheeks, but it starts causing pimples on my cheeks as well. Lucky I only used sample! Won’t recommend to people with combination/ oily skin.

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Broke me out horribly! I really wanted to like this hero / cult product as everyone is raving about it, but in the end was terribly disappointed by it.

I had such high hopes. I already use oils for my hormonal oily & cystic acne skin (squalane, double cleansing, marula oil) but this particular mixture was so irritating due to the heavy esential oils in it (because my skin is hyper reactive and sensitive i have gotten used to mild, safe products) and the first time I opened the bottle the lavender smell just hit me in the face, it was so strong!

I used this oil only on the parts of my face that were not having acne and the next morning those zones were super oily and had broken out even though they are normally acne free.

I also found the oil to be heavily irritant as the skin presented redness and congestion. At the quantity of essential oil it contains it’s no surprise.

So for acne prone/oily/sensitive skin this is a big NO.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I went to Kiehl's for consultation and the beauty adviser talked to me about this, and how people are taking this as their HG.

So the following day, I asked for a sample and guess what? It broke my already full of tiny bumps and acne skin out(forehead and jawlines), and made my skin oilier. (worst nightmare!)

I only used this for 3 days and many pimples came out. And right after I stopped using it, my skin stopped breaking out.

I suggests all the acne prone/oily skin people to do your own research about the ingredients or get a sample before buying the product.

I'm just not sure my skin is allergic to any ingredients in it (I do have a sensitive skin) but when I returned to the Kiehl's and asked the beauty adviser (different from the one I consulted at first), she said I should stick to basic skincare before introducing serum/oils because my skin is still sensitive and not healed.

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I'm borderline obsessed with Kiehl's and use several of their products with great results, so I was eager to test this one out, especially considering that it's one of their bestsellers and many people rave about it. The first time I got a sample I had no idea how to use it and basically rubbed it all over my face after cleansing, which was way too much and made my skin greasy as hell. A few months later I decided to give it another try. This time I knew how to apply it: 2-3 drops before applying moisturizer, and off to bed I was. Now that I have tried it 'properly' for a few days I can't say that I like this. While the scent is quite lovely, it's also rather obtrusive, but my biggest issue is that I wake up with congested--even irritated--skin, particularly on my cheeks, and neither does it feel as soft as many people claim. For me it feels like it just sits on my skin and doesn't really sink in. Even using only a few drops this feels heavy and too oily, and I'm saying that as someone with very dry skin. As someone with very sensitive skin and allergies it's very likely that I simply don't tolerate one of the ingredients in this product, and I can imagine that this works well for other people. It does seem to brighten, but my skin simply isn't happy with this and feels very irritated and aggravated.

Skin: Combination, Other, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Ehhh...I like the scent and how soft my skin feels after I use this. But...dang it, it's EXPENSIVE. I've been ordering samples from Amazon sellers to see how much I like it and while I'd splurge for a full size in a heartbeat, it's just not quite worth it. Unless my search for a serum like this doesn't pan out, I don't think I'll be splurging on this soon. Maybe I'll keep feeding my jones for it with samples!

A teeny bit of this goes a long way for me. It's pricey, so the longevity and effectiveness are worth it. It is fairly heavy IMO, and does take some time to absorb into my skin. But, that said, it does a great job of moisturizing and improving my skin texture. Would buy again.