Lucy Minerals Foundation

Lucy Minerals Foundation
Lucy Minerals FoundationLucy Minerals Foundation

4.2

zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, mica, magnesium stearate, iron oxides, allantoin, Apple Poly polyphenols, resveratrol, green coffee bean extract, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I think I may have found my HG foundation. I was looking (always looking!) for a new foundation and saw a lot of reviews raving about Lucy Minerals. I saw they had a selection of olive shades (!) and jumped in. I'm so glad I did!

There's a little learning curve to using the LM foundation because it really is different than many other mineral foundations. It is very creamy and concentrated, so much so that the first time I applied it, I kept all those warnings in mind and still managed to overdo it. And more often than not, applying a second layer is not necessary. The foundation needs a few minutes to warm up and meld to the skin, so you need to be patient and wait to see how the first layer looks before adding a second. The shade also adjusts during that time; it tends to apply light but darken slightly as it melds. The foundation provides smooth and natural coverage providing you don't overdo it. It wears very well (well, see below) and removes easily. It also doesn't clog pores either. Like all mineral foundations, it goes on better over moisturizers and primers that don't contain silicones. LM recommends their Ambrosia oils as primers, and while the Ambrosias are awesome (that's for another review), I had great results using LM over non-silicone moisturizers and Meow's Premiere Puss.

There is a pretty good range of shades broken into families. I hit pay dirt with Creamy Olive, though I ordered Medium Olive so I can make shade adjustments as needed for the darker months. There doesn't appear to be a lot of very dark shades though, so if yo have deeper skin tones I'm not sure if you'll find a fit here. They offer samples, albeit in baggies, of all their products. They will also make custom blends, so if you know the proportions (we're talking fractions) of the two shades you want to mix, you can have LM mix them into one container instead of ordering two separate containers. LM makes it clear that returns are not accepted, so definitely get samples first.

There are four formulas: the regular, oil control using silica, oil control using calcium carbonate, and a "light" formula without any antioxidants. I've tried all but the silica. I didn't notice any difference between regular and light. I did notice that both seemed to apply more smoothly and hold up better than the calcium carbonate. I found the calcium carbonate to easily patch up on both initial application and as time goes on. I didn't notice any improvement in oil control with the calcium carbonate. Of the three, calcium carbonate is my least favorite and not one I'd be likely to reorder. I'll have to see if the silica is any better.

******************
Update: I tried the oil control with silica today. I found that it left me with too much of a "glow" as though it was heavy on the mica. That's not the look I'm going for--I prefer a satin/matte finish which the original, light and the calcium carbonate formulas provide. So silica is my least favorite of all the formulas and a definite "do not reorder".
******************
I love the packaging with the twist-top lid that minimizes mess. Every mineral foundation brand should get on that bandwagon!

Customer service is impressive. Of all the orders I've made (and there's been a lot!), there was only one with issues--an issue on their end, and an issue on my end. Not only did they get back to me within hours of my writing them--impressive in itself--they corrected BOTH issues, even though one was my fault. That blew me away because they didn't have to fix what was my fault. But they did.

Since discovering Lucy Minerals, I can't recall reaching for a liquid foundation--in fact, I moved most of them out of my regular rotation and into storage. I used some of my other mineral foundations but I find myself not quite as pleased with them as I used to be...though could also be because I'm still riding the initial high of discovering LM. But I don't see LM falling-out of my regular rotation anytime soon!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This product is amazing. I have extremely dry, pale, olive/yellow toned skin and I have found an excellent match mixing the Pale Olive and Snow White versions of this foundation. I use the Lucy Minerals branded flat top brush to blend in an initial layer, wait ten minutes and then finish with a final layer and the rest of my makeup. It even works well as a concealer.

I apply it over a thick layer of moisturizer and sunscreen and this seems to provide a good base for the product to meld with my skin. I have not had success however over regular silicon based primers. It's like this foundation needs natural moisture and oil on the skin to work, and it doesn't interact well when there is a barrier. Can recommend that dry skinned people try this product, it takes a bit of fiddling to get it to work right. But when it is good, it is very, very good. I will be repurchasing.

on 1/8/2017 10:56:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

My current HG product!
It's just so easy to use, so fast, and ultimately that is what I'm looking for in a foundation especially because I'm always so busy. It has very good coverage, and gives a nice soft sheen to the skin. It DOES get cakey if you put on too much, but that takes practice and is very subjective person to person.

I usually buff the powder in circular motions rather than dusting/sweeping because that method tends to give me the desired look. So I mentally "divide" my entire face into 4 sections and work that way. It seems like it would take longer than using liquid foundation but it's actually alot faster because it covers so well without so much effort. It also feels light while hydrating my skin.

I live in humid Singapore so I would say DEFINITELY purchase the oil control finishing powder as that would help to extend the wear of this foundation.

I will keep repurchasing.

BTW I'm using the Lucy Light formula (taking no chances because my skin tends to clog up pretty easily and that's the main cause of acne) in Bisque. I'm usually an NC20-25. Bisque is much more neutral than the MAC

I wanted to like Lucy Minerals foundation but sadly I don't. I ordered the foundation sampler with 6 shades, 1 finishing powder, and 1 blush.

My order experience was ok. The website had good color description. My order went to "awaiting shipment" very quickly which was impressive. To me "awaiting shipment" means my order is packaged and ready to head out the door. After waiting a week and reading the FAQ's, I dropped a line to see if it was usual for an order to sit waiting to be put in a mail carrier's hand for a week. I received a very cheerful response restating exactly what the FAQ's said......along with the additional tidbit that my order was not actually filled and waiting for shipment, but rather waiting to be filled. I suggested it would be more clear to state the order had been received and was waiting "fulfillment" rather than "shipping" but the notion was completely wasted on the perky representative. Oh well.....

In all, I waited right at 10 days to get my order. No frills. No packing slip. No instructions. I can see both sides - do you waste more paper or just send the goods? Personally, especially for a first order with a company, I like the hand-written "thank you" or a coupon or a free sample to say "Hello!" Meh.....

My review is for the Original Foundation. The colors were very forgiving which is hard to find since I am fair and warm/olive toned. Unfortunately that is all I can say positive about this foundation other than it didn't break me out. Coverage is light to medium. Definitely does not cover capillaries. It does not apply evenly at all. The "creamy" description of this foundation seriously makes me wonder if I received a bad batch as it is chalky and the finish was blotchy no matter what I did.

Once applied, I could feel the moisture being sucked out of my skin and tightening. From a distance, Lucy Minerals did give an diffused/polished appearance. However, any closer, and you can see the lacking coverage and the blotchy application. It also accentuated every single pore and settled into the finest of lines.

For record: I tried with and without primer. Extra moisture. Even Lucy Minerals Ambrosia serum. Different setting sprays. I used my fancy makeup brushes and my bargain ones. I also found that it didn't matter how long I waited between layers (as suggested) to let the color meld and cure with my body chemistry - alas, there would be no alchemy, no magic. Who waits 10 to 15 minutes to apply the next layer of anything? Ain't nobody got time for that.

This foundation is an epic fail for me. I truly don't get the great reviews. MUAC baked mineral foundation is creamy, glowy, applies like a dream, and generally kicks this foundation's a$$. It comes in a compact and is sooo foolproof, I could apply it on the go. I can think of several foundations I would purchase over Lucy Minerals. The only reason I tried this was because the reviews made me think I was getting a comparable product, possibly with a better color match.

on 7/23/2016 7:34:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I will give it to this mineral foundation that it covers well, but it's heavy and seems to be cakey easily. The dealbreaker is that I wore a white dress today that I had to pull over my head, and this foundation transfers terribly!! Even with me being careful putting the dress on and taking it off, there was still foundation all over it anyway. :( (and I had put on finishing powder also from this company after applying the foundation.) Won't be wearing this again. I can't stand foundation transferring all over like that.

on 3/8/2017 8:54:00 PM

I'm in love with Lucy Minerals! This is the BEST foundation I have ever used. No caking (when applied correctly; a little goes a long way), no irritation, no breakouts, no accentuating or settling into my large pores and fine lines. Not too glowy like most minerals, just natural. My skin looks like it's naturally flawless!

It lasts all day and keeps me from getting oily. With the Lucy Minerals Original Foundation, I use the Lucy Minerals OCC Finishing Powder as a primer and as a finishing powder, which makes all the difference for my oily/combo skin.

They have a large range of shades so you shouldn't have any trouble finding your color, but if you still can't quite find your match they will custom blend whatever you need. I'm in the shade Creamy Bisque and it's perfect. I'm light-medium neutral with a more yellow undertone.

I can't say enough good things about it. I just wish I would have found Lucy Minerals sooner.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

This is the highest rated mineral fdtn for a reason! I must say I was sceptical when purchasing because it seemed too good to be true - custom blend, indie brand, cheapish, good quality, really? Surely not.
The website looked sorta dodge, and I was like, well hey at these prices I'll take a gamble. And it paid off!
I got the pack and chose 2 custom blend fdtns instead of a powder. I also bought a bunch of samples. Prior to choosing fdtn blend colours I bought small sample pots. I have tried the blushes but they're super sparkly and not for me. The powder I tested was the calcium carbonate and it's actually far too drying as my skin is normal, my skin didn't react well to it so I'm glad I didn't buy it.
You get so much in the full size pots I actually have a years supply now! Packaging is sifter top, and actually stays closed which is amazing. Travel friendly.
As others have said, you don't need to use too much which is common for mineral fdtn. I've tried quite a few, and my fave before this was Sheer Cover, it was the only one yellow enough for me. Over time tho, sheer cover made my skin a little itchy. I used to have oily skin and it was fabulous but now my skin's drier, it's uncomfortable to wear. My next fave was GloMinerals but they discontinued my shade and formula!! It was so olive and amazing. Enter Lucy Minerals. LM has awesome olive shades, truly olive if your skin leans that way. I'm more golden olive so I blend both and it's gorgeous. Most other minerals are not golden or olive enough and too orange or red. With LM you can order custom blends to any fractions.
It took me a while to figure out how best to use this - the owner herself recommends using over her oil which I have. But I've found my SPF is oily enough to create the base I need. If you've got oily skin you won't need an oily base. LM mixes beautifully with the oilier base to create a smooth, poreless, almost skin like complexion but true skin like base can only come from creme or liquid IMO.
It's not powdery and is very pigmented. I buff it on with a flat top powder brush and slowly build up layers. If you pack heaps on hoping it'll buff out it will take a long time and look cakey. Just add a bit at a time as you go, it's still a very quick application!
Wears super well over the course of a work day and doesn't itch or crack much or fade. There may be a tiny amount of cracking around the mouth but these are so easily fixed by moving my buffer brush over the top. Touches up perfectly.
I use a blend of golden and olive shades as I say. My only gripe is there isn't enough explanation of shade depth online. Medium olive is not equal to medium golden. From memory, the olive shades are a little lighter. The owner is great with queries so just email to find out. I got my blends a little wrong so my "winter" blend is a shade too dark.
But overall I've been using this a lot over the past few months and really really hope that LM survives (as some indie brands close or sellout) and stays as good as it is now. Ps shipping was quick! Also the bronzer is sparkly, not for me.

on 11/3/2015 4:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

*Warning, lenghty review! In my love for this foundation I felt like I had to write a novel about it, I guess*

Oh. My. God!!! Where has this foundation been all my life?

I read a review about this foundation, not thinking too much of it. I've tried mineral foundations in the past but have given up on them pretty fast. They were powdery, obvious looking, dried out my already dry skin, did not have the right shade and the list can go on. When you would have told me a month ago that my new all time favourite foundation would be powder, I would have laughed and not believe you for a second.
But the review turned out really positive and when I read the reviews on MakeUpAlley, I decided I gave it a try and I'm so happy that I did.

The best things about this foundation: it looks SO natural (literally like skin! I detest an obvious foundationlook but this is nowhere near that), gives fantastic coverage (medium - buildable full), shade range is amazing (she does custom blends!), is extremely creamy for a powder (my dry skin can easily handle it), lasts all day, simple ingredients (has not broke me out, and my skin hates titanium dioxide, so that was awesome!).

The bad sides: ???? Honestly, I can't think of anything. EDIT: my only complaints is that it isn't waterproof. It looks quite bad after getting in a rainstorm or after getting sweaty. For that reason, I don't use it on super hot/rainy days.

I tried some samples (Pale Olive in Original formula, Cream in both original and Lucy Light formula, Snow White (Original formula) Finishing Powder (Original) and the Light Bronzer - and got a blush sample for free!). They are priced 2,50, but she holds sales like every week or so, so you can get them for less.

Pale olive is the right shade for me! I have always known that I have a relatively green undertone (don't ask) and this matches it! I've never found any pale yellow shade that had a green undertone, so I'm impressed. If I get any paler than this I can ask her to mix some of her white shade with this one. (Not gonna lie, I hoped that it wouldn't be spot on, because the custom shades get your name as the 'shade' on the packaging, and I thought that was the cutest thing ever - I know, I'm lame.)

I can't express enough how much I love this foundation. I've had it for a week now but I can easily say it can really be HG material. Even whenever I don't have any makeup on, I put some of this foundation on just because I like the look of it so much, and I have never ever felt that way with a foundation. I always have had trouble with redness in my cheeks and this covers it better and more natural than anything I've tried.
Funny enough, this stuff last AGES on my skin, despite being a powder. It seems like the moment it sinks into your skin, it just forms a 'bond' just like a liquid foundation would do, and will only leave my skin at the end of the night. One time I did a finger swatch on my sister's cheek to check the colour, and I tried to rub it off with my finger, but it just didn't go anywhere! HOW?!
The finish isn't completely matte, but a slight satin, but this only looks more natural. No powdery look here! The finishing powder will mattify it more, though.
Due to the creaminess, it doesn't feel heavy or 'pulling' on my skin at all. In fact, it is more comfortable than a liquid foundation that I would have to powder down. This feels so lightweight and smooth!

A great thing is, that this can be build layer after layer, and still look natural! It does have a small manual though. (EDIT: spraying with a setting spray in between layers gives the best result! It really makes it sink into the skin and just even more flawless). Here's how I use it:

(I use a light moisturizer beforehand, that I let absorb for a few minutes)
1. Tap a small amount of powder in the lid.
2. Load a small amount on top of the brush - and I mean small! To the point where the tip of the brush has *just* a hint of colour. I use ELF's Mineral Powder Brush or an eBay flat top brush for this and that works really well. (EDIT: I feel like using the flat top eBay brush with this makes me break out slightly but not with the ELF brush. ...Logic, what is that? So if this breaks you out, try changing brushes!)
3. Blend it in. I prefer to tap it in. Reload if necessary.
4. WAIT 5 minutes or so before applying another layer. In the meantime, I just do my eyebrows or something.
5. Repeat, and wait another 5 minutes before applying more, although that is hardly necessary because two small layers is enough for full coverage for me.

And please ignore the review below mine - I don't know where she got that information, but Lucy Minerals has NEVER contained bismuth oxychloride and it probably never will, because the owner is allergic to it herself, so that wouldn't even make any sense. As far as I know, the owner has never changed the formula either, so with all due respect but I don't know what this reviewer has been sipping on.

Full size foundation (and Finishing Powder) currently is $16, but as I said she holds sales VERY often - it seems like when the first sale ends, she runs a new one, so you can easily save at least 20% - just make sure that you get updates.

Bottom line: Get this. Now. You won't be disappointed and will most likely fall in love like I did.

EDIT: January 6th '17: Still use it, still love it!

EDIT 2: April 6th '17: Repurchased! But in Lucy Light formula as it actually is WAY less cakey than the original. I'd recommend this formula.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This foundation is amazing! Perhaps the most amazing thing is that it doesn't react to my super sensitive, super dry, super eczema prone skin! I have tried so many foundations, cc creams, bb creams etc and it is the same story every time- looks great for maybe a day or two, then the bumps starts, raised red lines and flaking skin. Since I have fairly clear skin when I don't wear foundation, I have been avoiding trying anything new. However at the age of "25" (*ahem* 35), lack of sleep with a new baby and even dryer skin than normal with breastfeeding, I think I need a little extra help! So I've been wearing this foundation for a week, which for my skin is record. My routine is pretty simple - firstly because I'm lazy and secondly because my skin is so crazy. I cleanse and moisturise with jojoba oil, use rosehip seed oil for anti-ageing and sugar for exfoliant. Using jojoba as moisturiser is lovely for skin but sh*&t for makeup- it just slides off my face (but still manages to irritate it). SO I was shocked when I learnt that Lucy's Minerals actually suggests that you use jojoba as primer or mix it with the foundation to create a light concealer or liquid foundation. THIS IS EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been experimenting with how I apply but so far for my skin I have found this the best method- apply a thin layer of jojoba oil, then mix a drop of jojoba oil and powder in my hand for a base (p.s this makes it look like it oxidises likes no one's business but reverts to the original colour on your skin), then using my Shisedo foundation brush (I love him) I lightly dip the brush in the powder, tap it in the lid and press the powder into my t-zone and cheeks (no buffing due to skin sensitivities). I also sweep some Lucy Mineral's blush across the cheeks. My skin looks flawless and radiant after this and best of all it only takes 2 minutes....2 minutes!!! More time standing up sleeping in the bathroom. The only two things I would flag is that I haven't tried to build the coverage (lazy/don't need that much coverage) and I would say it lasts 8 hours before I notice there it is starting to slide off. I would like more time (lazy) but hey can't have everything. OH and I have found an exceptional colour match in Light Medium - I have strange super pale skin that is very warm. Oh and my skin feels really SOFT! Packaging is meh but it is a small company and better for the environment so you should good about the minimal packaging.

on 7/17/2016 9:01:00 PM

I went years without using makeup, or even bb or cc creams or tinted moisturizers, because absolutely everything I put on my face broke me out, dried me out, or made me oily. I work outside a lot, and I really wanted to protect my skin, so I tried bare minerals for the 100th time, only to get frustrated again and return it. Luckily I read something online about indie mineral brands, and I got samples of two brands. Lucy was immediately my favorite. I've been using the original formula for weeks now, and my skin is in better shape than it ever has been. My pregnancy acne is pretty much completely cleared up, my pores are tight, my skin is glowing, and it feels so healthy. I don't feel greasy from being in the heat all day anymore, and I don't get the blackheads from pollution like I used to. The best part of this makeup, however, is how natural it looks. I hated how other mineral makeups made me shiny and greasy looking - this stuff is honestly so gorgeous, so natural, like my skin but better. It doesn't crease. I recommend the ambrosia oil as a primer. Let your serums and moisturizers settle in for a few minutes, then pat in a couple drops of ambrosia (or even another dry face oil) and let that sink in for a minute. Then lightly dust this over your face. I also like the finishing powder, it makes the makeup look even better. I wish this brand were more well known, it's soooo much better than brands sold in stores! And the prices are amazing. I'm so glad I finally found something that works.
Btw, if you send them a picture of your face, they'll send you the shades that best match your face. I got the set of 6 samples for $12 I believe, it was on sale. The colors are very forgiving, but I found a perfect match. Each sample lasts weeks. Such good stuff!!!