Lucy Minerals Foundation

Lucy Minerals Foundation
Lucy Minerals FoundationLucy Minerals Foundation

4.2

zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, mica, magnesium stearate, iron oxides, allantoin, Apple Poly polyphenols, resveratrol, green coffee bean extract, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate

on 1/8/2017 10:56:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

My current HG product!
It's just so easy to use, so fast, and ultimately that is what I'm looking for in a foundation especially because I'm always so busy. It has very good coverage, and gives a nice soft sheen to the skin. It DOES get cakey if you put on too much, but that takes practice and is very subjective person to person.

I usually buff the powder in circular motions rather than dusting/sweeping because that method tends to give me the desired look. So I mentally "divide" my entire face into 4 sections and work that way. It seems like it would take longer than using liquid foundation but it's actually alot faster because it covers so well without so much effort. It also feels light while hydrating my skin.

I live in humid Singapore so I would say DEFINITELY purchase the oil control finishing powder as that would help to extend the wear of this foundation.

I will keep repurchasing.

BTW I'm using the Lucy Light formula (taking no chances because my skin tends to clog up pretty easily and that's the main cause of acne) in Bisque. I'm usually an NC20-25. Bisque is much more neutral than the MAC

on 7/23/2016 7:34:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I will give it to this mineral foundation that it covers well, but it's heavy and seems to be cakey easily. The dealbreaker is that I wore a white dress today that I had to pull over my head, and this foundation transfers terribly!! Even with me being careful putting the dress on and taking it off, there was still foundation all over it anyway. :( (and I had put on finishing powder also from this company after applying the foundation.) Won't be wearing this again. I can't stand foundation transferring all over like that.

on 7/17/2016 9:01:00 PM

I went years without using makeup, or even bb or cc creams or tinted moisturizers, because absolutely everything I put on my face broke me out, dried me out, or made me oily. I work outside a lot, and I really wanted to protect my skin, so I tried bare minerals for the 100th time, only to get frustrated again and return it. Luckily I read something online about indie mineral brands, and I got samples of two brands. Lucy was immediately my favorite. I've been using the original formula for weeks now, and my skin is in better shape than it ever has been. My pregnancy acne is pretty much completely cleared up, my pores are tight, my skin is glowing, and it feels so healthy. I don't feel greasy from being in the heat all day anymore, and I don't get the blackheads from pollution like I used to. The best part of this makeup, however, is how natural it looks. I hated how other mineral makeups made me shiny and greasy looking - this stuff is honestly so gorgeous, so natural, like my skin but better. It doesn't crease. I recommend the ambrosia oil as a primer. Let your serums and moisturizers settle in for a few minutes, then pat in a couple drops of ambrosia (or even another dry face oil) and let that sink in for a minute. Then lightly dust this over your face. I also like the finishing powder, it makes the makeup look even better. I wish this brand were more well known, it's soooo much better than brands sold in stores! And the prices are amazing. I'm so glad I finally found something that works.
Btw, if you send them a picture of your face, they'll send you the shades that best match your face. I got the set of 6 samples for $12 I believe, it was on sale. The colors are very forgiving, but I found a perfect match. Each sample lasts weeks. Such good stuff!!!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

This is the highest rated mineral fdtn for a reason! I must say I was sceptical when purchasing because it seemed too good to be true - custom blend, indie brand, cheapish, good quality, really? Surely not.
The website looked sorta dodge, and I was like, well hey at these prices I'll take a gamble. And it paid off!
I got the pack and chose 2 custom blend fdtns instead of a powder. I also bought a bunch of samples. Prior to choosing fdtn blend colours I bought small sample pots. I have tried the blushes but they're super sparkly and not for me. The powder I tested was the calcium carbonate and it's actually far too drying as my skin is normal, my skin didn't react well to it so I'm glad I didn't buy it.
You get so much in the full size pots I actually have a years supply now! Packaging is sifter top, and actually stays closed which is amazing. Travel friendly.
As others have said, you don't need to use too much which is common for mineral fdtn. I've tried quite a few, and my fave before this was Sheer Cover, it was the only one yellow enough for me. Over time tho, sheer cover made my skin a little itchy. I used to have oily skin and it was fabulous but now my skin's drier, it's uncomfortable to wear. My next fave was GloMinerals but they discontinued my shade and formula!! It was so olive and amazing. Enter Lucy Minerals. LM has awesome olive shades, truly olive if your skin leans that way. I'm more golden olive so I blend both and it's gorgeous. Most other minerals are not golden or olive enough and too orange or red. With LM you can order custom blends to any fractions.
It took me a while to figure out how best to use this - the owner herself recommends using over her oil which I have. But I've found my SPF is oily enough to create the base I need. If you've got oily skin you won't need an oily base. LM mixes beautifully with the oilier base to create a smooth, poreless, almost skin like complexion but true skin like base can only come from creme or liquid IMO.
It's not powdery and is very pigmented. I buff it on with a flat top powder brush and slowly build up layers. If you pack heaps on hoping it'll buff out it will take a long time and look cakey. Just add a bit at a time as you go, it's still a very quick application!
Wears super well over the course of a work day and doesn't itch or crack much or fade. There may be a tiny amount of cracking around the mouth but these are so easily fixed by moving my buffer brush over the top. Touches up perfectly.
I use a blend of golden and olive shades as I say. My only gripe is there isn't enough explanation of shade depth online. Medium olive is not equal to medium golden. From memory, the olive shades are a little lighter. The owner is great with queries so just email to find out. I got my blends a little wrong so my "winter" blend is a shade too dark.
But overall I've been using this a lot over the past few months and really really hope that LM survives (as some indie brands close or sellout) and stays as good as it is now. Ps shipping was quick! Also the bronzer is sparkly, not for me.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This foundation is amazing! Perhaps the most amazing thing is that it doesn't react to my super sensitive, super dry, super eczema prone skin! I have tried so many foundations, cc creams, bb creams etc and it is the same story every time- looks great for maybe a day or two, then the bumps starts, raised red lines and flaking skin. Since I have fairly clear skin when I don't wear foundation, I have been avoiding trying anything new. However at the age of "25" (*ahem* 35), lack of sleep with a new baby and even dryer skin than normal with breastfeeding, I think I need a little extra help! So I've been wearing this foundation for a week, which for my skin is record. My routine is pretty simple - firstly because I'm lazy and secondly because my skin is so crazy. I cleanse and moisturise with jojoba oil, use rosehip seed oil for anti-ageing and sugar for exfoliant. Using jojoba as moisturiser is lovely for skin but sh*&t for makeup- it just slides off my face (but still manages to irritate it). SO I was shocked when I learnt that Lucy's Minerals actually suggests that you use jojoba as primer or mix it with the foundation to create a light concealer or liquid foundation. THIS IS EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been experimenting with how I apply but so far for my skin I have found this the best method- apply a thin layer of jojoba oil, then mix a drop of jojoba oil and powder in my hand for a base (p.s this makes it look like it oxidises likes no one's business but reverts to the original colour on your skin), then using my Shisedo foundation brush (I love him) I lightly dip the brush in the powder, tap it in the lid and press the powder into my t-zone and cheeks (no buffing due to skin sensitivities). I also sweep some Lucy Mineral's blush across the cheeks. My skin looks flawless and radiant after this and best of all it only takes 2 minutes....2 minutes!!! More time standing up sleeping in the bathroom. The only two things I would flag is that I haven't tried to build the coverage (lazy/don't need that much coverage) and I would say it lasts 8 hours before I notice there it is starting to slide off. I would like more time (lazy) but hey can't have everything. OH and I have found an exceptional colour match in Light Medium - I have strange super pale skin that is very warm. Oh and my skin feels really SOFT! Packaging is meh but it is a small company and better for the environment so you should good about the minimal packaging.

on 11/3/2015 4:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

*Warning, lenghty review! In my love for this foundation I felt like I had to write a novel about it, I guess*

Oh. My. God!!! Where has this foundation been all my life?

I read a review about this foundation, not thinking too much of it. I've tried mineral foundations in the past but have given up on them pretty fast. They were powdery, obvious looking, dried out my already dry skin, did not have the right shade and the list can go on. When you would have told me a month ago that my new all time favourite foundation would be powder, I would have laughed and not believe you for a second.
But the review turned out really positive and when I read the reviews on MakeUpAlley, I decided I gave it a try and I'm so happy that I did.

The best things about this foundation: it looks SO natural (literally like skin! I detest an obvious foundationlook but this is nowhere near that), gives fantastic coverage (medium - buildable full), shade range is amazing (she does custom blends!), is extremely creamy for a powder (my dry skin can easily handle it), lasts all day, simple ingredients (has not broke me out, and my skin hates titanium dioxide, so that was awesome!).

The bad sides: ???? Honestly, I can't think of anything.

I tried some samples (Pale Olive in Original formula, Cream in both original and Lucy Light formula, Snow White (Original formula) Finishing Powder (Original) and the Light Bronzer - and got a blush sample for free!). They are priced 2,50, but she holds sales like every week or so, so you can get them for less.

Pale olive - the right shade for me! I have always known that I have a relatively green undertone (don't ask) and this matches it! I've never found any pale yellow shade that had a green undertone, so I'm impressed. If I get any paler than this I can ask her to mix some of her white shade with this one. (Not gonna lie, I hoped that it wouldn't be spot on, because the custom shades get your name as the 'shade' on the packaging, and I thought that was the cutest thing ever - I know, I'm lame.)
Cream - Slightly too orange (for a martian like me) and a bit too dark. Didn't notice a difference with the Lucy Light formula.
Finishing powder - Amazing stuff! If marshmallows would be in a powder form, this would be it. So soft, featherlight and fluffy. At first, I didn't see the point in setting powder with another powder but this really prolongs the wear, and does a great job at keeping my slightly oily t-zone matte like no other!
Light Bronzer - a really nice bronzer for pale skin. Has a slight satin finish and does not pull too orange.
Snow white - pretty damn opaque straight up white, doubles as a highlighter or eyeshadow for me.

I can't express enough how much I love this foundation. I've had it for a week now but I can easily say it can really be HG material. Even whenever I don't have any makeup on, I put some of this foundation on just because I like the look of it so much, and I have never ever felt that way with a foundation. I always have had trouble with redness in my cheeks and this covers it better and more natural than anything I've tried.
Funny enough, this stuff last AGES on my skin, despite being a powder. It seems like the moment it sinks into your skin, it just forms a 'bond' just like a liquid foundation would do, and will only leave my skin at the end of the night. One time I did a finger swatch on my sister's cheek to check the colour, and I tried to rub it off with my finger, but it just didn't go anywhere! HOW?!
The finish isn't completely matte, but a slight satin, but this only looks more natural. No powdery look here! The finishing powder will mattify it more, though.
Due to the creaminess, it doesn't feel heavy or 'pulling' on my skin at all. In fact, it is more comfortable than a liquid foundation that I would have to powder down. This feels so lightweight and smooth!

A great thing is, that this can be build layer after layer, and still look natural! It does have a small manual though. (EDIT: spraying with a setting spray in between layers gives the best result! It really makes it sink into the skin and just even more flawless). Here's how I use it:

(I use a light moisturizer beforehand, that I let absorb for a few minutes)
1. Tap a small amount of powder in the lid.
2. Load a small amount on top of the brush - and I mean small! To the point where the tip of the brush has *just* a hint of colour. I use ELF's Mineral Powder Brush or an eBay flat top brush for this and that works really well. (EDIT: I feel like using the flat top eBay brush with this makes me break out slightly but not with the ELF brush. ...Logic, what is that? So if this breaks you out, try changing brushes!)
3. Blend it in. I prefer to tap it in. Reload if necessary.
4. WAIT 5 minutes or so before applying another layer. In the meantime, I just do my eyebrows or something.
5. Repeat, and wait another 5 minutes before applying more, although that is hardly necessary because two small layers is enough for full coverage for me.

And please ignore the review below mine - I don't know where she got that information, but Lucy Minerals has NEVER contained bismuth oxychloride and it probably never will, because the owner is allergic to it herself, so that wouldn't even make any sense. As far as I know, the owner has never changed the formula either, so with all due respect but I don't know what this reviewer has been sipping on.

Full size foundation (and Finishing Powder) currently is $16, but as I said she holds sales VERY often - it seems like when the first sale ends, she runs a new one, so you can easily save at least 20% - just make sure that you get updates.

Bottom line: Get this. Now. You won't be dissappointed and will most likely fall in love like I did.

EDIT: January 6th '17: Still use it, still love it!

on 10/29/2015 10:09:00 PM

Annie has just changed her formula! The new foundation without bismuth oxychloride has much less coverage than the previous one (I read somewhere that bismuth oxychloride helps the foundation last longer and adhere better to your skin, however it is not good). I am really upset because I want a safer foundation, but at the same time full coverage like it used to have.

on 10/3/2015 2:57:00 AM

This had a beautiful full coverage finish that lasted all day. Such a shame it broke me out every time I used it. The magnesium stearate is rated a highly comodogenic ingredient. All formulas have it. :-(

on 6/25/2015 12:05:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This review is for the original formula foundation. This is a softest, prettiest foundation I have ever used. My skin absolutely glows!

After using multiple high end foundations including Chanel, Bobbi Brown, Clinique and Estee Lauder, I settled on mineral foundation. From time to time, I test a new liquid, but always go back to minerals. I have mature skin and the liquid formulas feel heavy and accentuate lines and wrinkles - even with primers. After using Bare Minerals, Jane Iredale and Pur Minerals, I discovered Lucy Minerals on YouTube. I ordered 4 sample foundation colors and fell in love! I purchased the regular size in 2 colors - one for summer and another for winter, along with the finishing powder and Ambrosia Multi-Purpose Serum.

I wash my face with Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser, apply Vitamin C Serum and Paula's Choice Resist Barrier Moisturizer with Retinol. (If I am going in the sun, I substitute CeraVe Daily Moisturizer with SPF). After the moisturizer sets, I apply Lucy Minerals Foundation in a circular motion using an angled Kabuki brush. For areas that need extra attention, I apply more foundation with the Bare Minerals concealer brush. After the foundation sets, I press finishing powder into the T-Zone with a powder puff.

I highly recommend these products! Lucy Minerals customer service is amazing and the products are a great value - especially when they have a sale.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I liked this from the sample enough that I bought a full size. It does have a very nice finish. Unfortunately it broke me out like crazy every time I used it. I didn't wear it everyday so it took me a while to make the connection. I believe it was the magnesium stearate, as zinc and titanium oxide are fine on my skin.