China Glaze Dorothy Who?

Dorothy Who?Rare China Glazedorothy who

4.7

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse

Dorothy Who? is a medium blue [somewhere in between lapis and azure] jelly formula, that is full of blue and silver microglitter. This shade was part of the much-lusted after The Wizard of Ooh Ahz collection (2001), which fans demanded a re-release for so much that they got one for spring 2010 as The Wizard of Ooh Ahz Returns!, after China Glaze reached out to the owner of the All Lacquered Up blog for swatches of the original polishes so that they could work on recreations. I believe that this shade is now part of China Glaze's core line, as it is very easy to find for low prices.

The first coat does tend to be a bit patchy, as the amount of glitter can make it tricky to get the first coat down smoothly. Full coverage and a smooth & even finish varies between two and three coats, but the formula dries quickly so it doesn't seem like too much time and effort is being wasted on it - two coats is mostly passable as the glitters reflect the light away from the surface, but a close-up inspection reveals a bit of nail line peeking through the jelly base. in general nail polishes will last me anywhere between two to four days with only minimal wear. But as I'm a self powered wheelchair user I'm tough on my hands and am always catching my nails, so I can't really speak for how long lasting the formula is overall.

on 2/25/2015 8:58:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

One of the best glitter nail polish in the world!

on 6/1/2013 11:40:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

So Beautiful! I love the blue and silver glitter effect in this blue color polish. I first applied China Glaze First & Last (base/top coat) then a few coats of this polish and First & Last on over the polish then a few days later applied First & Last again to make it appear a little shiner. I received many compliments about this pretty polish too. I love looking at this the most out in the sun! This polish lasted a whole week! I did get a tiny chip on day 5 or 6 but that was my fault for the most part. Removal of glitter is so annoying! But I used Onyx Professional: Nail Polish Remover Maximum Strength 100% Pure Acetone with a small piece of felt fabric and it wasn't that bad and this polish is just too pretty so I will go through the glitter removal process again in the near future anyway. I hope to find more extra pretty glitter polishes like this from China Glaze!

on 1/19/2014 11:07:00 PM

Glittery blue stunner- ChG's Dorothy Who is fun and gorgeous and eye-catching. I like this so much better than OPI's Absolutely Alice and Swimsuit...Nailed It.

This blue jelly polish is a shade of royal with a hint of turquoise with loads of bright blue microglitter. Opaque in two coats, no problems with application or wear.

I have to admit that China Glaze isn't my favorite brand but Dorothy Who is truly a stand-out (along with Ruby Pumps which I highly recommend) and I'd buy it again.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Medium

This is a medium-to-electric, very cool blue, so cool that in some lighting situations, it almost has an aquamarine kind of vibe. It's a jelly base filled with bright, sparkly blue micro glitter, and it's truly gorgeous. It works well with my very pale, cool-toned complexion, as well, and, happily, does not call undue attention to the visible blue veins in my hands (which a lot of blue polishes can do).

Because of the jelly base, the first coat is thin and streaky. The second coat will even it out. If you want full, perfect opacity, you'll probably need three coats, or, as I prefer, wear two coats of this over a blue base (I like OPI Dating a Royal for that, but most medium blue will work).

And, unlike most glitter polishes, this doesn't have a gritty surface, nor is difficult to remove. Bonus!

This polish was originally part of a limited edition collection, "Wizard of Ooh Aaz" and for a while was impossible to find. Then the collection was re-released as "Wizard of Ooh Aaz Returns", but I still had a hard time finding this one. Recently (second quarter of 2013) I found it at one of my favourite online sellers and grabbed it, because it had been on my list of polishes to get for so long. Once I received it and tried it, I had to place another order to grab a second bottle as a backup in case China Glaze decides to make this gorgeous polish impossible to find again. That's how much I love this. (This polish is the blue cousin of the gorgeous red Ruby Slippers and the purple C-C-Courage, both from the same collection, though C-C-Courage isn't as sparkly.)

Note that the current formula of the re-release is different from the original. As I haven't got the original, I can't say what differences there are between them, but if you Google around a bit, there are some "then and now" comparisons if you're interested.

on 1/27/2014 6:45:00 PM

This color is so sparkly and vibrant that it cannot be done justice in photos. For applying this polish (and others for the Wizard Ooh Aah collection) Start of with a thin first coat and then a thick second coat. "Dorothy Who?" is such an original color, and none of the dupes that I know of can't even compare.

on 4/17/2012 2:37:00 PM

I mean, really? Electric blue polish with electric blue glitter? What could be cooler than that?! This is a shade I really like and I feel is very unique. It's a super-fun color for summer toes and if you don't have it, I'd urge you to give it a try. It seems to be pretty easy to find at Sally's and they often have a sale on China Glaze, which makes these inexpensive polishes even more reasonably priced.

Dorothy Who? is sparkly blue at its very best. In low light, it shimmers and glistens with every twist and turn of your hand. In the sun, it will blow your mind. I layered it over ChG First Mate, and I loved it. Would I buy it again? Heck yeah, I would!

on 6/9/2012 3:03:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

So i bought this over a year ago and I just tried. I feel like I wasted that last year that I could've been enjoying this awesomeness. I have OPI Absolutely Alice so I wasn't super excited to try this (probably what took so long) they're VERY different on. This has a mirror shine ( i never really knew what those nail bloggers were talking about before this polish) and that's BEFORE i put on a TC. Pictures do NOT do this justice. Must be swatched and seen with your own eyes to be believed. It is sooo beautiful.

on 6/28/2012 1:23:00 AM

This color is absolutely stunning... The glitter in this is so amazing, I cant stop staring at my toes right now haha. I would definitely recommend this and the name is super cute.

Popular Polishes