TheBalm Mary-Lou Manizer

TheBalm Mary-Lou Manizer

4.6

Mica, Isoeicosane, Polyethylene, Boron Nitride, Polyisobutene, PTFE, Silica, Synthetic Wax, Dimethicone, Titanium Dioxide CI 77891, Iron Oxides CI 77491.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Such a disappointing product. Very waxy, yellowish tone that looks more like a bronzer on light skin. Not good for fair skin. Very glittery. Weird plastic sheen.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This highlighter isn't actually much lighter than my skintone, so it goes on very subtle and natural-looking. This is an excellent daytime highlighter that adds a slight glow but doesn't have a super pale or metallic shimmer.
The color is a golden champagne. I have other highlighters that are lighter and more pigmented than this, so this is the one I'd go for if I was endeavoring an "I'm not wearing a ton of makeup" look.
As others have mentioned, this powder is finely milled so it goes on very smoothly and doesn't emphasize pores or skin issues. However, I wouldn't advise carrying it around during the day because it could break easily.
The packaging is very cute; it's nice to look at something that isn't a boring clear or matte black casing. The price could be lower, but for what you're getting it could also be higher, so no complaints here. For a subtle daytime highlighter this is my top pick.

To Read all 495 Reviews, Login or Join

on 8/20/2016 8:16:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I am olivey/tanned in skin tone and this beautiful white gold colour suits me perfectly. other highlighters I've tried have been too white on me and this is such a good match for me. it stays all day. it's sparkly and gorgeous, I feel so confident and radiant whilst wearing this. i found this to be super affordable, the plastic packaging feels a bit cheap but I can look past it because the product is so good.

on 8/19/2016 2:26:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Simply not worth it, too chunky and glittery. I thought it was going to be a beautiful glow, but you can actually see the product on the skin, like the actual chunks of glitter. Beautiful color though.

on 8/18/2016 5:30:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

Best highlighter ever, in my humble opinion.

I am a complete highlighter freak (who isn't....) and have way more highlighters than I will ever be able to realistically use. I have them all from high (Chanel, Dior, Laura Mercier), Medium (urban decay, MAC) and low (wet n wild) prices. Instead of behaving like a sane person and using up what I have, I just keep going back to Mary Lou-Manizer. Because I love it sooooo much! It's that perfect white-gold highlight that is so flattering to anyone. It's pigmented, soft, sparkly, and very blendable.

And the PRICE!! I've paid for a drugstore highlighter more expensive than Mary Lou. If you really can't justify $19, Every now and then you can catch it on sale at Hautelook or some other online retailers for roughly $9. One word of caution though: the formula is VERY fine and soft...I mean, that's a good thing for your skin. But bad for shipping. I've had 2 come in broken apart and dusty and almost useless and just wah :'( it's never fun opening up a package and finding that. While you may be able to get a discount online sometimes, it's not always worth the risk to have this delicate baby get shattered. Other than that, that's the only word of advice I can possible come up with for this holy grail!

I also don't get the hype onthis. Good price and lasts forever and decent packaging but it looks powdery and just sits on top of my skin oddly. I have pale skin and usually use a liquid highlighter but got this try out as a highlighter. It's not terrible don't get me wrong but I can't seem to make this look amazing even after trying to apply it a few different ways. I do appreciate that you can use it as eyeshadow too and I do like to use it on my chest/collarbone but as a face highlighter this is just meh for me. For the price though it's worth trying out for yourself

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is amazing. It's very pigmented and it lasts for many hours. For me my highlighter is usually one of the first things to disappear along with my blush but that's not the case with this one. It's also more affordable than most higher end highlighters. I will definitely buy it again when I run out of it, but that will probably take many years.

on 8/17/2016 5:33:00 AM

The Balm's Mary Loumanizer is my Holy Grail highlighter. I have NC15-25 Asian skin tone, with very strong yellow undertones and this is the highlighter that works best with it. I find that the colour itself is a very yellow toned champagne shade, which may make it problematic for people with very deep red/ pink undertones.

In terms of value for money, I purchased this for less than $20 last year and am nowhere near finishing it up despite using it on a daily basis.

It's pigmentation is amazing and can give you anywhere from a soft focus type of strobe effect to an extreme "wet" highlight type of look when applied with MAC Fix Plus. I love using my fingers with this product as I find that it works best in melting it together with the natural oils in my skin. It's formula is very finely milled and smooth- no extreme glitter/ sparkle bombs here which I find to be the problem with all of NARS' highlighters. What I like about this is I also find that it works beautifully placed on the inner corners of the eyes for an intense look as well as a metallic foiled look when applied wet on the lids.

It photographs incredibly well and gives me a "lit from within" effect that I love.

Packaging is adorable and comes with a large mirror, however, my compact cracked (and I never dropped it/ have been very careful with it), so it may be due to the fact that the powder is very finely milled.

This will probably take me another two years to finish, however it is all I need right now in my collection as it does the job well.

on 8/16/2016 3:10:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Honestly - don't really get the hype. Maybe I just don't know how to use it properly, but I tried both my fingers and a fan shaped brush to apply this and it looks obvious, yellow and tacky on my skin. (I am fair about NC15-20 and cool yellow-olive) It may be that I was using too much or something but I could not get it to look natural or not obvious. Also, it broke up in my compact and heaps fell out and continued to fall out each time I used it - very messy and a huge waste of an expensive product. Would not repurchase.

on 8/11/2016 11:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Love love love this highlighter! This is my first compact powder highlighter. I usually stick to cream or liquid highlighter. I use this if i want to be extra glowing. It makes your skin glow and its really pigmented. I just hope there's a travel size of this. :)