e.l.f. Cosmetics High Definition Powder

e.l.f. Cosmetics High Definition Powder

3.8

Price: $

Price: $

Sheer: Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Sodium Dehydroacetate

on 10/17/2017 6:55:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Do not bother. I decided to try it because I was using NYX but am always looking for something a little softer + more blotting because I'm oily + wear my makeup for stage which is sweaty. This was basically like putting gritty chalk on my face. It stuck to certain areas, left me white + patchy + didn't do its job. I had no idea powder could be this bad.

on 3/19/2016 10:28:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Almost magical... It has a matte smooth finish, more of a natural 'real skin' appearance. I use this sparingly with a small brush over my t-zone and under my eyes for a no-makeup-makeup look over my invisible zinc sunscreen. Beautiful and affordable!

on 11/29/2015 9:26:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I know I'm the minority opinion here (but not the only one) but I just found this kind of eh. I bought it because of a big sale they had and wanted to get up to free shipping. Plus I don't have a setting powder so why not. I also got the 'beige/sheer' powder (the one that's marketed as SPF) which I liked better. But then it turned out in sunlight it was too dark and too pink based. Well I'd say this is ok but I like it a little less than ok. I don't hate it. And I love how it's finely milled, but I do have a white cast left over, even when I use just a little. I sort of like that it's white since pale girls need almost white for like under eye or highlight, so that's what I stick to with this. But I couldn't in good concience recommed this to a medium or darker toned person and say it's 'translucent'. It's not.

It's also not like an oil absorbing white/setting powder. I'm sure if I swipe it on while oily it would mattify a bit, but it's not quite enough for that (and especially would leave white behind). I recently tried this over sunscreen but before makeup to keep the makeup less greasy, and it seemed ok. Best use of it so far. Not something I'd go out of my way to get but I might use it up that way. Other than that, I occasionally use this like their under eye white setting powder (and I could probably make a bet that it's the same thing) but it's not something I do often. So no, I wouldn't repurchase it and if a friend wanted it, I'd prob give it to them. I won't throw it away though, just because.

Ugh Just tried it again all over and I forgot how dead it made me look. Going to look for a friend to gift it too (for both of these). I completely forgot about the after suncreen use because I never do it. Too cakey/too much effort.

on 11/22/2015 4:09:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

on 8/21/2015 10:39:00 AM

I have heard many compare this to the MUFE HD one. While they are similar products, they are not the same. I have both. The ELF one has more than silica in their list of ingredients. MUFE, the ONLY ingredient is silica. Now, having said that, I do find that the ELF one is easier to use. With the MUFE, there's a lot of powder that kicks up, and every time I use it, I have to try to avoid inhaling the product but i always do. I don't have that issue with the ELF one which is a plus. As for performance, I don't really notice a difference btwn this and the MUFE one. The ELF ones gives a great finish, blurs pores and controls oil very well.

One major gripe i have with this powder is the packaging. My god it's AWFUL. I know that loose powders are messy but this one in particular is dreadful. It's as if the lid doesn't screw on properly so when you go to shake some out of the sifter, it gets EVERYWHERE. All over the rim of the container! And i even kept the plastic seal on and poked holes in it. I don't even really shake it. I just turn it upside down and quickly right side up again....still, a HUGE mess. The container is big and bulky. It gives the illusion that you get a whole TON of product, when you really don't. I got fed up dealing with the mess and emptied the powder into a much smaller container and it didn't even fill up half of the small container!!!

All in all, I would repurchase this. ELF is PETA certified and we need more cosmetic brands that are cruelty free!!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

I love silica powders and I LOVE this stuff. Great setting powder, just keep it light so you don't get ashy. It's a great price and you can find it in Target now. There's something less powdery about this than other silica powders so it doesn't give as much of a cloud of product when you use it which means you are less likely to inhale the product (and you can avoid the coughing and sneezing). The only thing I don't love is the packaging. It looks nice but it is unnecessarily bulky.

Edit 10/05/2016. I've now tried this is soft luminance. I can't seem to find the original shade in stores recently and I'm too lazy to order it. Anyway, I quite like this shade. It's a little less dry looking and a little less white cast. But I've also tried Cinema Secrets recently and I think that's my favorite powder so far. I'll use this up but probably repurchase Cinema Secrets eventually.

on 1/28/2015 6:56:00 PM

Hair: Red, Other, Medium

I think this powder is great if you can wear it. You can't beat the price, and I love the look it gives over tinted moisturizer and concealer since I don't like to wear foundation if I don't have to. The problem is that it seems to break me out. The breakouts aren't bad, but every time I use this powder, I get a new zit. These seem to go away quickly when I stop using it, but sadly, I think I'll have to search for something else.

I suspect that my skin just may not like the high dimethicone content in this powder as I sometimes but not always breakout if I use primers with dimethicone. i wonder if it might be a matter of concentration.

Takeaway: This is definitely worth a try for the price. I wish I could use it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I don't understand the hype over this product. Sure it's a good dupe for MUFE, but it's just not doing anything for me.

Pros:
cheap
doesn't leave a white cast

Cons:
Messy
No staying powder
Makes me oily

on 6/7/2014 5:33:00 AM

I love this product! I buff it in with a kabuki brush and it gives my skin a great finish with no powdery residue. It keeps my t zone skin matte all day so I just carry oil sheets with me if I need the occasional bit of shine control rather than re powdering.

The packaging is nice but not practical and I would decant this into a smaller tub if I wanted to take it with me. Really good value for money, my favourite powder ever.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I use this both in white and tone correcting yellow. I mix them together, more white in the winter and more yellow when I am tanned. They are by far the one product I could not live without. The yellow really does cancel out redness but can be a bit dark for my fair skin by itself, and the white is too pale by itself. They look a bit powdery when first applied; just wait a minute for it to melt into skin.

These are amazingly mattifying. I normally have to blot my face 8 times a day, but with these on, I only blot about 3 times, and could get away with less. On top of that, the texture of the powder absorbs all visible oil, so I don't look shiny, even if blotting would reveal oil. This is amazing for someone so oily!

I use these both alone on days my skin is perfect, and under or over foundation on days I need more makeup. Have repurchased many times and will repurchase again.