Demeter Sugar Cookie Pick Me Up Spray

2.7

on 6/23/2018 12:16:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium

I'm writing this review from a place of bias. I first had this back in 2000 when I was 12 years old and it was MY BELOVED. I never thought of it as perfume and I don't even know where or how I got it and only the scent memory stuck with me all this time. To me it smelled exactly like a cookie fresh out of the oven. Rich and buttery, warm, and sweet like slightly caramelized sugar. I had the 1 oz spritz and used it every day until it fell off my dresser and the neck cracked. I remember holding the bottle in my hands like a dying baby bird, devastated, trying to fit the glass back together to save it. That was 18 years ago.
Now I'm a full grown adult woman and can buy whatever I want, but I see that Sugar Cookie gets TERRIBLE reviews, so I continually opt to skip it, buying 100s of other "more sophisticated" and complex scents from all across the fragrance spectrum instead. And then one day I say "f**k it" and go for a used bottle on Ebay and suddenly understand why it's getting bad reviews.
It still smells just as I remember, with a little something extra that I didn't notice as a 12 year old. There's a powdery, musky undertone, beneath the warm bakery deliciousness. It's very reminiscent of iris, with a sweet, violet quality. Doesn't belong in a cookie, but still works just fine for me. It makes me happy. I love the way I smell. It lingers on my clothes for hours and hours and it's clean and feminine. In a way this is 2 fragrances in one. First you get the 5 minute Pick-Me-Up of salty sweet golden sugar cookies, and then for the next 6 hours you get soft, clean powder with a kiss of floral. I love it. I love it as much today as I did then, somethings never die.

on 10/6/2015 2:05:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This makes Demeter vanilla cake batter scent smell like an unsweetened high end niche boutique floral gourmand.

Super Carmelized artificial sugar cookie, not homemade. More like if a Twinkie was made in cookie form and possibly made with artificial sweetener that has a bitter and plastic aftertaste.
I don't mean to single out Demeter for a plastic finish or imply the plastic is due to the relatively inexpensive price. Other fragrances that turn plastic IMO include: Kurdjians lady vengeance; Bulgari black (rubber); SL Daim Blond (vinyl topped white leather); and the forerunner of the plastic leathers, Tocade. There are hosts of fragrances that turn bitter: SL Bois Vanille; ELdO's tom of Finland; Lalique Encre Noire; etc. etc.

Demeter has gotten nice reviews in various forums and I was curious enough to sample them after a long hiatus from SL Bois Vanille, and a recent bad experience with the SL.

Note: for Demeter fragrances, I strongly recommend the roll on format, and not the spray; I am a dabber and I hate sillage, but I feel that the roll on smells better. However, so far, the only roll on Demeter I recommend is Laudromat which is similar to a light floral Egyptian musk on my wrist.

The deformed love child of a white jelly bean and a Barbie.
If this sound appealing to you then by all means purchase this product. Sweet plastic and completely repulsive...

I got this on sale off of Demeter's website in a set called Cookie Jar. It doesn't wow me. The first whiff I get is vanilla-y, but it doesn't have that baked goods smell I was hoping for. It got more synthetic smelling as it wore on, and I eventually just washed my wrists until it came off. I will be giving this to someone else, I am slightly disappointed, as I love a lot of the other fragrances I purchased. I love traditional sugar cookies, and this is not what I got from this fragrance.

I've gone back and revisted this, still with mixed results. But perhaps it is merely my body chemistry messing with me? Some days, this smells like Christmas, like those big reindeer cookies you bake for Santa. Other days, it smells like toxic waste. Who knows? ( ;

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

disgusting. straight out of the bottle, it smells like synthetic sweeteners and on me, it lasts about 15 minutes before dissipating into nothing. i'm such a foodie lover and really really wanted to enjoy a sugar cookie scent but this had me nauseated and heading back to return it even though i got it on sale. i had heard so much hype about demeter from magazines and online suggestions but this one let me down big time. it's not a natural food smell. the scent itself is linear and not too complicated which doesn't help mask the chemical and alcohol smell.

i also tried other gourmand demeter perfumes and they were more or less the same so i think it's safe to say demeter is something to stear clear from.

on 12/30/2010 3:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

i've seen a bunch of talk about demeter's sugar cookie in magazines so i thought i'd try the the cookie jar set when it went on sale and had sugar cookie was in it. it is by far the worst gourmand fragrance i've ever had the misfortune of experiencing. i wouldn't even keep the set despite the generous sale price. it has a very nauseatingly chemical sweet smell. i am usually head over heels for foody scents and love to walk around smelling like cake, cookies, etc. this was much too fake and the staying power lasts less than an hour. it might have been better if it wasn't so linear so that it can hide the artificial smell behind another scent but i thought the simplicity of it would be charming and cute. eek it was not worth it.

I got a .33 oz bottle of this as part of a set, and I don't know whether it smells good or weird. It is a really nice, sugary smell. I think it lasts a long time, but I am very sensitive to scents so that might be why I can still smell it all day. It is the only foodie fragrance I own and I feel like I am going around smelling like cake all day. I am trying to think of something besides my body that I can scent with it, like a sweater (that would be so cozy!), but the tiny bottle is a splash on bottle, so that would be difficult.

on 10/28/2008 10:23:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was so excited to get this product! I love foody scents, and I usually adore cookie scents. Demeter Sugar Cookie smells heavenly when you sniff the bottle. However, on me it turns into a nasty chemical vanilla/powdery perfume scent after 5 minutes. I have a few Demeter scents that I LOVE and work very well for me, but ironically, some of the scents that I've been most excited about, have bombed (including Angelfood, Vanilla Cake Batter, Cinnamon Bun, and now Sugar Cookie).

on 1/30/2008 2:54:00 PM

I am soooo disappointed with this product, which I was honestly expecting to love. Back in college, when I couldn't AFFORD them, I would always play with the Demeter sprays in the campus bookstore and marvel at how realistic they were. I forgot about them for several years, but recently someone mentioned them and I remembered how I had loved them way back when. I immediately hopped on eBay and purchased the Virtual Cookie Jar, which contains the 4 oz size of "Sugar Cookie" and 1 oz sizes of Graham Cracker and Brownie. The Sugar Cookie fragrance smells NOTHING like a sugar cookie; it smells like a yucky combo of laundry products with about 20 packs of NutraSweet mixed in. The only good thing, which would be a BAD thing for any other product, was that the smell faded within 5 minutes. Thinking that maybe it was just my body chemistry not wanting to tango with this particular scent, I turned to "Brownie" and "Graham Cracker", but both also were disgusting. I do have to say that Brownie smelled *slightly* like a real brownie....if you burned it to a crisp and then doused the charred remains in waves of chemical sweetener. I couldn't even give the stuff away; none of my friends would touch any of the the three scents. I'm very unhappy with this purchase, especially since my memory of the Demeter fragrances was so fond.

on 12/21/2007 8:48:00 PM

I love love love love this scent... albeit it's not all that foody smelling on me. I can't stop smelling my wrists- I smell sugar, but I also smell a musky baby powder of sorts... it's very weird how body chemistry can change things- but I am in love... I will be going through this bottle quickly!

Popular Fragrances