Essie Chinchilly

4.6

on 12/3/2018 6:20:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I have this on even as I type this review. Long one of my favorite nail polish colors, Chinchilly is a great color for all year wear. It has subtle shimmer to it and is a taupish color that is very flattering to my pasty white skin color. I wear my nails short most of the time but vary my polish. This is always in my collection.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

lavendar mid-putty grey

Pros:
- neutral
- for conservative work environment
- elegant
- better for NC20 and lighter
- non-streaky after two coats
- small bottle for easy storage; brush is small enough for small nails but wide enough for non-streaky application

Cons:
- too muddy and darkening on my NC25-30 yellow skintone

I love the color, this is my absolute favorite for the the transition into fall. However, even with a base coat, 3 applications of polish (it is a bit thin and streaky) and a topcoat, it still chipped quickly, I would expect more from a $7+ bottle of polish. I will definitely shop for a dupe and try another brand, hopefully Revlon has a copycat color as over the last 30 years of doing my own nails, Revlon is still my favorite polish for color saturation, wearability, and price point (if on sale). Anyone know of a tried and true dupe?

on 5/14/2017 7:10:00 AM

I can't believe i haven't reviewed this yet. It is one of the few bottles of nail polish that I finished totally and went back for another bottle. It is one of my favorite colors against my medium olive skin. It's somewhere in the greige family but with a hint of mocha. I have to be so careful with those colors as they can wash me out but this one really enhances my complexion. In the summer, neutral manicure shades like pale pink, nude and whitish can look a little more contrasty on me. This has the same sort of neutrality and sophistication to it, but is much more flattering on me. I have not found any dupes for this and if they ever discontinue it, I'm buying all the bottles I can find. It is one of my top 3 favorite colors of all time.

on 12/19/2016 11:48:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've had this color for years, but never really wore it, but decided to give it a go after trying "Sand Tropez" and not liking it at all (with my skin tone). This is a great purple grey. I didn't think I'd like it - but once applied, I loved it. I do not think that the Essie site description is correct - I wouldn't call this a granite gray at all - def. has purple tones. Even my boyfriend thought so.

Only downside - it took a full 3 coats to get a decent full coverage opacity. After two coats on my two index fingers, you could still see streaks and some nail peeking through - this was even with a base coat, and one nude coat underneath! Three coats worked great - and then I topped it with a shine coat. Unfortunately, I have a tiny chip on one index nail already - and it's hasn't even been 24 hours. :(

I'm rough with my hands/nails, so it takes a LOT for a nail polish to not chip. However, I love the color and the rest of the nails are holding up, so I may just touch up the spot and see how it does for a full week. Love the color though. FYI- Mochacino is Chinchilly with glitter.

on 11/7/2016 11:20:00 PM

Glad I finally decided to buy this color! Not sure what took me so long. I tested a bunch of gray/grayish Essie polishes at Walgreens last night and ended up not buying any of them bc I couldn't decide. I had a different color on each finger and when I looked at the colors with fresh eyes this morning, chichilly was by far my favorite. I just used it on my fingers and toes and can't stop staring at it. Loooove this color!

on 9/25/2016 4:00:00 AM

My fave nreutral polish...i wear it year round honestly its a beautiful chich color.. i get complimemts on it. Looks great on dark skin nw45 for reference

on 11/22/2015 7:07:00 AM

I love Chinchilly! It is a beautiful cool toned greige, more grey than your standard taupe colour. It applies evenly and easily, opaque in two coats and has excellent staying power. It dries quickly and is very chip resistant, like most of my other Essie polishes. This is a very chic colour which is ideal in Autumn but can be worn all year round with the right outfit. It is a classy colour which I also think would be work appropriate. A lovely colour and a great formula, what more do you want?! This is a cult shade and I can definitely see why, and I would recommend that others try it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Chinchilly is a beautiful medium purple-toned greige shade on me. Unfortunately, I can't give this shade a 5 because the formula isn't up to par with my expectation of Essie polishes. The one real flaw? Sheer and streaky. It takes 3 fuller coverage coats to even it out, and I don't really care for that. I'm looking for 2 coats and done. However, that said, I adore the color at 3 coats, and beyond that, it performs like a typical Essie polish. I use Orly Bonder and Out the Door topcoat, and I can get 4-5 days before it chips which is amazing since I'm a mom and constantly washing my hands.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

A very pretty soft gray tone. It has really great coverage with one coat, but I use two. It lasts the same as other polishes.