Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner - All Shades

Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner - All Shades

3.9

cyclopentasiloxane, propylsilsesquioxane, ceresin, isodecane, cyclohexasiloxane, caprylyl methicone, synthetic fluorphlogopite, silica silyate, disteardimonium hectorite, disodium stearoyl glutamate, propylene carbonate, candelilla wax, caprylyl glycol, aluminum hydroxide, calcium sodium borosilicate, calcium aluminum borosilicate, silica, tin oxide. [ ± ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499/iron oxides, mica, ci 77491/titanium dioxide, ci 77007/ultramarines, ci 77510/ferric ferrocyanide, ci 77288/chromium oxide greens, ci 77289/chromium hydroxide green, ci 77742/manganese violet, ci 42090/blue 1 lake, ci 19140/yellow 5 lake, ci 77510/ferric ammonium ferrocyanide]

on 8/13/2018 8:31:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Got drunk one rainy day, with 100% humidity, cried my eyes out, fell asleep with my makeup on... And woke up with perfect eyeliner!

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I have this is brown and black. I LOVE these gel eyeliners. They're so creamy and vibrant. I use my own eyeliner brush because it gives me more control, but the brush it comes with works pretty well and I sometime ruse it to brush a dark eyeshadow by my bottom lash line as a substitution to eyeliner.

on 8/9/2018 7:24:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Great product. I use the Sigma E06 brush to apply it. It lasts long on the lid, doesn't crack or flake off. The only issue I have with it is that it transfers on my eyelid (I have extremely hooded eyes) when I'm not wearing eyeshadow even though I prime and set my lids. However, when I do wear heavy eyeshadow like a cut crease or something, it doesn't transfer. Not sure why that's the case. I wear eyeshadow pretty much daily so I am really enjoying this product. It also works really well in the waterline and lasts all day.

II'm not a (gel) eyeliner pro, so that probably does help - but I do find this product rather hard to apply. The problem for me is that it doesn't slide over my lids very well - and I have slightly 'loose' eyelids, so it takes a while to even be able to draw an actual line. And the fact that I do have to put it on my lid over and over again makes it hard for me to draw a neat line with a brush. The product dries pretty quickly on the brush (or something) so that makes it harder as well. However - there were a few times in which I managed to make it look pretty nicely, but that did take me much longer than I wanted. ;-) Perhaps I should try a better brush (used the one that comes with the liner now) but I'm just not sure if the gel works best for me. However - the times when I did use it - I was happy with the results of how long it lasted and everything. It didn't smudge at all (except if you'd really rub your eye) and didn't leave a marking above my eyelid - which some liners tend to do after a while. That fact does, however, make it pretty hard to remove (I use micellair water that's usually able to remove all my make-up in a second). Especially if you want to fix a mistake with a cotton swab while applying it - it barely comes off. Removing it gets easier after a few hours of wearing it.
So if your eyelids are a little less 'loose'/wrinkly and you are able to draw a proper line with this without having to reapply product on the brush all the time - it's definitely pretty amazing! For now I prefer their eyeliner pens when it comes to how easy it is to use the product. I'll just continue trying to get better with this!

on 6/11/2018 9:27:00 AM

Cannot figure out how people make this stuff work! First of all, the brush sucks, and an open cap means dust can stick to it if you're not religious about cleaning your brushes. Then there's the formula, which is okay for the first few applications but quickly dries out and gets clumpy *in the pot*, so forget a clean line. If you can manage to apply it smoothly, it still takes a couple coats to get full opacity -- this is really more the consistency of an eyeliner pencil, doesn't feel like gel at all.

Honestly, this eyeliner is difficult to work with and I regret ever straying from my Loreal Lacquer Liner.

on 6/10/2018 3:45:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Love it! Cheap, buidable, very dark, it lasts lots of hours in my eyes (I have dry skin), I would buy it again and again and again! I love the brush too.

on 5/30/2018 10:31:00 AM

For the price, these are amazing! I own this in black, brown, and chrome black which has a slight sheen to it. The little brushes they come with are actually pretty good, they have slim and densely packed bristles and a gentle triangular shaped tip, allowing for slim lines and filling in between lashes using the very tip or using it at an angle to draw a smooth line.
As these are gel liners, they need a little time to set on the skin otherwise they smudge. I like to draw over the line in a brown or black eyeshadow to further set it in place. Wear time is reasonable, with an eye primer and eyeshadow on top to set, I get around 9 hours' wear even on my oily lids and even wearing my contact lenses and using re-wetting drops, the liner stays in place and doesn't run.
They last around a year with frequent use after which they are too dry and stiff in the pot to be able to use properly.

on 5/28/2018 3:35:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I have been using this Maybelline gel eyeliner in black (01) almost every day since I was 16… and I am now 23. Nothing compares! With this I get a fine and opaque liner that remains intact all day.

I also find it’s the only thing that really works for tightlining and for the upper waterline. It doesn’t transfer like liquid liner (and imo requires less skill) and it allows for a much more precise line than eyepencils (even small ones with gel formulas). It’s also more economical: each pot lasts around 1 year, after which it is not completely empty but the formula becomes a bit too dry for my taste.

I was surprised by other reviews mentioning that it smudges because I always felt like it would last for days if I didn’t take my make up off! Granted, I don’t have oily eyelids, but I also never use any base. If you applied a heavy eye cream right before, I would suggest lightly powdering your eyelids for better staying power.

I remember wearing it in the pool in PE back in high school and my classmates being amazed that it didn’t budge. Just yesterday I walked around the city for hours in 30°C/86°F heat and ended the day with a 10 mins run under pouring, apocalyptic rain. When I finally got home, my concealer had melted, my mascara had migrated from my lashes to my cheeks, but my eyeliner was exactly as it had been when I put it on in the morning. In fact, it was this experience that finally prompted my review!

Now for the downsides: you do have to wash the brush after every use, which can be a pain. If you can afford it, you might want to use 2/3 brushes in rotation. The brush provided is very small, which is great to get in the roots of the lashes, but I tend to use an angled eyeliner brush, which makes the application quicker and is ideal to trace a flick. Lastly, the colour range isn’t the best – at least in my country. Note that the brown is shimmery, while the 01 black is matte. In comparison, Bobbi Brown gel liner has an excellent range of subtle, original shades, but beware: the formula dries much quicker!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

This gel liner lasts forever on me. The dark brown is a perfect, rich shade, and I get zero irritation and very little smudging or fading, even on hot, sweaty days. I do, however, use this with a primer and sandwich a coat of eyeshadow between two things coats of liner.

I'm not crazy about the brush that comes with this, though, at least not for this liner - it's not a precision brush, which is what this liner needs.

on 5/7/2018 7:58:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

This eyeliner smudges, and it smudges fast. I literally have days where I can apply this, and 10 seconds later, it has already smudged (I'm guessing from a small amount of oil near my eye?) I've tried to work with this by powdering over the liner. The powder does prevent it from smudging through the day, but powdering also makes the liner lighter and less intense, which is not what I want.
Drugstore wise, I think the L'oreal gel liner is so much easier to apply and does not smudge. This is going in the trash.

[0]