Too Faced Natural Eye Kit

Too Faced Natural Eye Kit

4.5

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Well, pinch my toes and call me a jelly donut -- a palette with nine shadows that all nine are wearable...and I actually wear them! This is the first palette I've bought that doesn't have the Midnight Cowboy Rides Again Effect; you know, when there's a few shades that are so ridiculous you could only wear them on Halloween or when you really need insane amounts of glitter fall out.

This palette is crafted entirely from Win and Awesome. The matte shades Heaven and Velvet Revolver are my Go To shadows. Matte Sexpresso is awesome as a brow powder, and shimmery Silk Teddy is what I wanted Stila's Kitten to be.

Buy this. You'll thank me.

on 8/12/2009 10:40:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I had an extremely hard time rating this palette. On the one hand, I recognize that it's a nice palette and the tutorial cards are fantastic, but on the other hand, I did not like it. I like the dark colors but the midtone and highlight colors, with the exception of the "Day" colors, were super frosty and shiny. Nude Beach was ridiculously glittery and completely unwearable. I just cannot wear such frosty shadows, but even if I could, I don't believe that shiny eye makeup can be called "natural."

I think this palette is a good buy if you already like the colors and shiny eyeshadow or if you're a beginner (I gave my palette to a friend who doesn't have much makeup and she loved it), but if you're like me and you already have a ton of eyeshadows, I don't think it's such a good value. I'm finding that as I build up my eyeshadow collection, I have less and less use for premade palettes since I either already have similar colors and will only need one or two of the shadows in the palette or I only like one or two colors in the palette. I would not call this a good value, especially since the colors in the palette aren't available as singles. Take a cue from The Balm, Too Faced.

I'm a neutral girl myself but I thought the colors in this palette were incredibly boring. The darkest shades had good payoff but the light and medium shades were underwhelming. I can put together a more flattering natural eye for myself. In all honesty, this palette will probably not impress those with even a moderate collection (moderate in MUA standards, lol) who are perhaps more experienced at coordinating colors and creating their own eye designs.

I think a lot of people would be mad at me for this, but ill say it... I very much prefer this over my naked palettes. Yes, nude beach has fall out. But I think so many people hold the naked palettes to such high expectations that they don't admit that those actually have worse fall out. And it doesn't matter too much. I hold a sheet of tissue under my eye. Afterward, I go back in and clean up any sparkles or color that still may have gotten on my cheeks. I do still love my naked palettes, but I feel like maybe this one works better with my skin tone. And too faced does excellent with matte shadows.

on 10/22/2010 7:54:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Cool

I was never an eyeshadow girl, until this kit! Don't get me wrong, I own alot of MAC and department store/drugstore shadows, but I never found anything that actually complimented my green eyes and platinum hair. I would apply shadow, and it just made my eyes look muddy and even with good technique and good brushes, it just never worked for me.. Either the pigmentation wasn't good and you couldn't even see the shadow, or it was too dark, and made me look hookerish. So I stopped wearing it.

This year I started to miss getting all dolled up. I actually bought a bunch of new makeup in general just to get back into the swing of it, but I didn't bother with eyeshadow. I sometimes verrryyy lightly wear a light dusting of Physicians Formula shimmer strips on my lids, but that's it. The 'smokey' and 'glamor' makeup looks just never worked for me. Anyways, I went out with a girlfriend the other night and before we left, she offered to touch up my makeup for me. Her eye makeup is always flawless, so I said sure. She dabbed a bunch of stuff on my eyes quickly with her fingertip, and literally 2 seconds later I had THE most gorgeous makeup! I asked what the heck she used, and apparently, it was this kit. Before we went out that night, we went to the mall, and I immediately purchased my own! I love it.

I don't use the cards, I find I can come up with nicer color combinations on my own that are much more flattering for my eyes. I get complimented on my eyes and makeup every time I use this kit. The colors are beautiful, and are very rich and very pigmented... I like these shadows better than anything more expensive I've purchased from MAC or other brands. The quality is insane! $44CDN is a bit excessive, but for the quality and payoff I get from using this, I consider it worth it. I also don't wear shadow every single day, so I think it will probably last a really long time. To be honest though, even though this is called 'Natural Eye', I actually don't do a natural look with it... I usually do a more glamorous eye. I can't get over the amazing pigmentation and how easily the shadows glide on... I can use expensive brushes, or just my fingers to apply it if I'm in a hurry, and I still get the same awesome results. I will definately repurchase this kit should I ever need to! These eyeshadows are gorgeous on me; never overdone, underdone, or muddy looking like every other brand/color I've tried in the past. I can use every single color in this kit, and I find them all equally flattering. I like that there's both matte and shimmer options, and I love the endless options I have for mixing/matching shades. These shadows also stay on me for days (literally for a full 48 hours, my eyemakeup stayed on and looked flawless, even after sleeping in it!) without a primer. That's what I call results! :)

The only things I'm not fond of is the bulkiness of the kit, I think a thinner cardboard case would have been better and more practical especially if you want to bring your shadows with you or travel with them... Also the applicator they include is kind of pointless in my opinion. But for the awesome results I get, I won't complain about that. I love this and will definately recommend.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I have owned this palette for nearly two years and I still love it and I highly recommend it to anyone. Even over the urban decay naked palette.

What I love:
-the layout of the palette makes it easy to use, all the highlighters are on the left, lid colours in the center and dark colours on the right.
-the look cards are a great addition, I tried them and the looks are easy and look good.
-I wanted a matte highlighter, and heaven is a great one
-the highlighters (which you typically use most) are larger
-the colours go well together, without producing muddy looks.
-There isn't a colour that I don't like or use.
-nude beach has large glitters, but doesn't produce as much fallout as most other glitter shadows.
-texture and pigmentation, and easy to build or tone down.
-they blend well, without disappearing.
-they last all day
-the packaging is sleek and sturdy (without the drawer) and also very pretty

so yeah, i have almost no complaints, but there are a few drawbacks
-the value isn't as high as with the urban decay naked palette, you get less shadows and less grams. You also don't get a brush, eyeliner or primer with it (only a little two-day primer sample). The price is lower and it has a decent value, but nothing amazing.
-the lettering on the case rubbs off after a while
-I keep wanting the shadows to be bigger :p

why I like it over the naked palette
-naked doesn't have many light colours
-not much matte colours either
-gunmetal and creep don't go with the rest of the palette
-naked has quite a few colours I just don't use
-the colours easily get muddy when blended
-urban decay's naked is more expensive
(also, the natural eye kit came out before the naked palette:P)

if you have more neutral palettes the too faced natural eye kit can be redundant to have. because the colours aren't extremely unique. But I feel that with it's great lay-out and colour selection within the palette, it's still a nice addition. Even for those who have the naked palette, or the balm nude'tude palette.

I would recommend it to someone who just wants a no fuss palette for day and night. If you are warm toned and like light colours and just want a easy to use palette, this is definitely it.

If you're cool toned, the too faced naked eye kit is a great option, I have that one too and love it. The natural eye kit and the naked eye kit work very well together giving you a lot of colour options.

But if you don't mind not having a matte highlight and you're more into darker, smokier colours and want a black in your palette you're better off with the urban decay naked one or two,

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

I have been repeatedly disappointed by high end eye shadows and have really almost given up on prestige brands altogether as they are pricey, and inevitably fail to deliver.

I have a number of inexpensive eyeshadows that perform very well and of course, I can have twice as many of them. So I'm honestly not sure why I decided I had to have this.

I normally don't buy palettes at all, because there always seem to be several colors that only a hooker or a drag queen or a pubescent school girl would wear. But all the colors in this palette looked very wearable and I'll admit, I was drawn by the cute packaging.

WOW. I was very, very impressed. These shadows are so silky smooth and blend unbelievably well. I found them to be extremely easy to work with. The color payoff was very good; nice coverage without being too heavy. Even the darkest shadows were very blendable and I was able to get a nice soft smoky look with no trouble at all.

I'm not really a lover of matte shadows, so I didn't think I would really use the three matte shades in this collection. But I tried them just to see, and to my surprise, I quite liked the way they looked. I don't think it's a look I would do every day, but a nice change of pace.

Also, I found them to be very long lasting. I applied my make-up at 8:00 am, and when I went to remove my make-up at 10:00 pm, my eyeshadow still looked fresh, vibrant, and uncreased. I almost hated to take it off because it still looked so good.

It always puzzles me when people mention fallout. EVERY shadow I have ever tried from most expensive to least, has SOME fallout. These are POWDER shadows and powder is...powdery. If zero fallout is really and truly that important to you, try a cream shadow. I personally do not find it that inconvenient to whisk away tiny particles with my big fluffy brush. Swoosh, Swoosh. Done. Two seconds of my life wasted. Oh dear.

This was my first experience with Too Faced. I shied away from the brand due to the cost. But the quality of the shadow in this palette has sold me and I'll definitely buy their shadows again.

on 5/30/2014 10:28:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This review is for the new Natural Eyes palette in the tin packaging. I am completely in LOVE with this palette. The colors are absolutely perfect and beautiful for natural but beautiful eyes. The shadows blend together beautifully, the matte shadows are amazing, and the shimmer shadows are amazing.

There are some shadows that are basically identical to shadows in the Urban Decay Naked palette...

Silk Teddy = UD Sin
Nudie = UD Naked
Push-Up = UD Toasted
Honey Pot = UD Half Baked

I have to admit though, I tend to grab this palette over the Naked palette for a everyday look because it just seems more easy. The colors are more coordinated in Too Faced's palette.

on 10/19/2011 5:30:00 PM

I swear by neutral eyeshadows and I was very pleased with this palette. The colors are highly pigmented, blendable, and buildable. I also own the UD Naked Palette which I adore just as much. Both are great palettes for people who prefer neutral eyeshadows. I recommend this product if you would rather dish out 36 bucks instead of 50 bucks for the UD Palette. I would also recommend this to owners of the UD Naked Palette because the colors are different and compliment the Naked Palette eyeshadows nicely. I love to mix this palette and the Naked Palette. This Palette also comes with 3 cards that have directions on how to mix the colors and achieve different looks (good for beginners). If you're more advanced there are endless combinations (especially when mixed with the Naked Palette). I am a makeup junkie and I have very high expectations for all the makeup I buy. I must say I am a bit of a makeup snob, the only drugstore product I swear by is Maybelline Superstay, my favorite foundation, surprisingly! This palette met my high standards and I definitely recommend it. As for the people complaining about Nude Beach, it is a very nice eyeshadow. To combat the fallout either swipe some powder under your eye before you apply nude beach, apply the eyeshadow, then swipe the powder away. The powder will catch the fallout and make it easy to be brushed off. Also, with practice at applying eyeshadow, you will eventually learn how to minimalize fallout. Good quality brushes help as well.

on 12/20/2010 12:54:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I love this kit! I'm all about what's easy lately, and so I have to explain WHY I bought this. StillGlamorous on YouTube has a "5 Minute Makeup" tutorial which I love, and in it she uses this palette, so of course I had to go buy it (I'm just sporadic like that...). I found mine on Ebay for $17.99 because it had a chip in two of the colors (not even that large). So to start off, I think I got a good deal. Anyway, StillGlamorous' tutorial uses the following, which I find to be a perfect, easy everyday look which will take my eyes from plain to much much better without any effort in about 60 seconds: Velvet revolver on lid, Heaven to highlight the brow, and push-up in crease. Then, use sexpresso on lash line with the liner brush. Perfect go-to eye. I love that it's easy and that someone told me what to do LOL. The cards it comes with are ok, but I'm all about tutorials and love YouTube for that. The little brush it comes with is really awful in my opinion...I use an eyeshadow brush to put the shadows on, and I WOULD use my own liner brush, but really if you're in a hurry it's easy to use this little tool. I'm getting used to it...the problem is that it's just so small and the bristles are a bit "harder" than my BE flat liner brush. So anyway that's about it...I travel a lot and this is my easy take-with palette that I would consider buying another of to make sure this is a staple in my travel kit as well as on my vanity!

UPDATE:
Still my absolute favorite palette, and I really think I'm loving it more than UD naked--this one gets MUCH more use, that's for sure. So, I found another tutorial online by JuicyStar07 in a tutorial called "Everyday Neutral Makeup Tutorial" and Blair uses this palette for her gorgeous look that I tried for the first time today and loved! This is how I did mine and I think it's exact or very similar to hers: Mix Silk Teddy and Nude Beach together on a brush (I did two swipes on each to mix) and put on lid. Put Heaven on brow. Use Push-Up in entire crease, from corner to corner, then use Erotica (or Cocoa Puff depending on what you're looking for) for outter V. I lined with a brown liner and it looked gorgeous.

on 3/13/2014 11:18:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Okay, I have both Ud naked and this.
Here are 2 key points that I thought I would share

1. Basics:
UD: what it has: shimmery lid/highlight colors, 2 matte blending browns, black
what it doesn't have: matte highlight

TF: what it has: shimmery and matte highlight/lid colors, matte blending brown,
what it doesn't: black

2. Mids and Darks:
UD: mids: mid tone colors are beautiful (smog, buck and especially toasted are my favorite colors of the palette)
darks: (besides black) quite muddy, not as pigmented, hard to blend

TF: mids: not as good a selection, texture not as good as UD
darks: much better than UD, super pigmented, easy to blend

----
So here's the deal, this is about what you use most.
I use mid tone shades (toasted is my fave eyeshadow every) more often, I need a black and I don't mind using Virgin as a satin finish highlight, so for me, UD is better.

However, if you use a lot of darks and do smokey eyes often, or need many matte colors, I would say TF might work best for you.

Both are lovely, both are worth the price tag, both are travel friendly.
Hope this helps