MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

4.4

on 8/20/2010 4:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This is a mixed review. From one aspect i'm reviewing from a pro's standpoint (ie usability in your pro kit) and from another standpoint i also tried this as a personal everday use powder. The results were mixed just like the review. ;)

For pro use:
Hands down probably the best male powder i've used. I can use some light airbrushing to highlight or conceal and then dust this over the entire face for a perfect skin finish with a no makeup feel. Can also do the same with spot concealing and a dusting of this powder. The men loved the non-makeup feel and how perfect their skin looked. I loved it cuz it cut down some of my steps. For women i had more mixed results. If they had near perfect skin, this enhanced it without changing my foundation results or settling into lines. If they had shine issues or "hot spots" on their face this did nothing to help and another blotting powder with mattifying agents had to be put on top of this. This made a fantastic base for keeping mineral powder foundations from sticking in spots. Great kit item to have just not sure it's an "everyone" kind of powder. The MAC Invisible matte powder is a better "everyone" powder.

For personal use:
I used this first as a base for my mineral foundation to get rid of any shiny areas and making an even canvas to spread dry minerals on. Worked like a charm. Loved it but only when i patted the minerals in with a sponge. If i used it with a brush i had hot spots that were shinier than others.

I then tried this as a setting powder for my foundation (lycogel). While it gave a nice finish the tip of my nose looked very shiny and in photographs i looked down right oily. The product set my foundation but left behind shiny areas that had to be powdered over with a mattifying powder so my face photographed properly. Very disappointing. I had much better results with my MAC Invisible matte powder or Makeup Forever's HD powder.
In comparison to other powders, i like the MAC Invisible Matte powder best for overall powder usage for everyone, MUFE HD powder is a close second but can be drying if used long term and give an "aged" look to the skin, and for mens makeup and using as a primer for mineral foundations this is my new favorite. This wasn't a holy grail but it also wasn't a total failure depending on your use. I also want to add that the size leaves a bit to be desired. A properly powdered face will allow your fingers to glide over the skin with no sticking points. To achieve that with this product i used an entire container in 2 months. If i had to pay retail for this i'd be unhappy. I can buy a full jar of Bioelements transparent white powder for the same price and it will last me 5 months. Same goes for the MAC Invisible Matte powder (sorry guys, this is a pro product but if you know a pro, i'm sure they'd be happy to purchase it for you). They need to up the container size or adjust the price (i don't pay retail for this and it's cheaper than their Invisible matte based on pro prices so that tells me they kind of know it's not as good and won't last as long).

This is one of the best products I've ever bought from MAC. I used to almost need to re-do my make up when I got home from work if I was going out, however applying this wonderful finishing powder, my face stays put from 8am to 8pm and beyond with only a light touch up here and there; considering I work in a heated office and am often super busy, this is amazing.
Not only that, but it seems to even out my complexion and just gives my make up that extra little... something. I won't go without this stuff now, or ever. I love it so much that I don't care what it costs! :)
(Oh, but the packaging is a bitch).

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

$21 for 0.28 oz. Someone emailed me asking if it reduces redness, which is a good question. It is sheer, and feels feather light. You don't feel it on your skin, it's weightless and lighter than loose face powder. However it can tone down blush if you apply too much, and it will set any liquid or cream base. It's even light enough to use under the eyes to set concealer. I'm not partial to any one brand, but the price is more reasonable than MUFE. It doesn't settle into fine lines and does give a soft focus glow. Not because there is shimmer in it, but because it is so light and the color gives a bit of luminous matte skin. These types of powders last a long time for me because I don't have oily skin. If you do, it won't stop the oil from coming but it does last longer than a basic powder. If you have a problem with redness I would check out the new Clinique Redness Solutions Instant Relief Mineral Powder.

A silky finishing powder that provides an invisible way to set makeup. Reduces shine while optically minimizing the look of pores, lines, imperfections. Available in one universal colour that suits all shades. Wear over makeup or on bare, moisturized skin. It debuted with the Colour Ready collection.

on 2/8/2015 6:39:00 PM

MAC Prep + Prime is my #2 powder pick. It gives me perfect polish and very slightly whitens my face. I use it when I want to be fancy.

My #1 pick is RMS "Un" Powder. It's absolutely invisible with great performance (blurs imperfections, mattes shine). RMS gives me a very natural and believable look.

Powders I like less than the above:
- MUFE HD Powder goes a bit white for me and I'm very pale. It also catches on dry flakes.
- Laura Mercier Loose Translucent is more beige than white and blends into my skin pretty well but I think gives an overall dull appearance.

on 5/10/2011 7:57:00 AM

Great product !
Foundation lasts much longer and if used without foundation the skin becomes ultra-soft.
My T-Zone is an oily mess and with this powder I have finally found something that keeps off shiny greasy skin, especially my forehead.
I was always sceptical to use powder as I feared it might slip into each line and wrinkle and make those more prominent. Being 30+ it is very good to know with this powder you will look some years younger as it smoothes out fine lines (also with no foundation beneath) !
If you prefer an ultra-natural finish this powder is your best friend.

Price is reasonable, too.

I cannot recommend this product enough.

It is important, however, not to use too much. A little goes a long way.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

Over the past year- this product has really become a staple for me. I had so many Love/Hate moments with it, and nearly gave it up for swap. I initially got a sample of this in a swap, and I loved the coverage after applying liquid foundation- so I ordered a full size. Upon trying it again, it didn't (and still doesn't) work as a setting powder, it made me look stark white, even with the smallest amount, and it look chalky. I was so confused becuase I had such luck with the sample, so I put it to the side. After awhile, after setting with with my powder (I mix Studio Fix powder with my Maybelline Dream Matte, they work super well togther..) I found my skin lacked that 'glow' so I lightly applied this with my MAC 131 brush just under my eyes and nose, and it made my skin look airbrushed and flawless! ......Now, I cannot go a makeup day without applying this lightly after powdering. This goes an completely smooth, not chalky. I honestly though, cannot use this for just setting my foundation, it simply doesn't work for my skin- but it does have so many other great uses, for example:

1) After filling my brows and setting them with a clear gel, I lighty dust this over and it keeps them in place all day.

2) This is an amazing lip primer! (I contacted MAC to see if this was lip safe, they said it would be fine- just don't injest it LOL) I put on some lipbalm & lightly blot this over top, and my lipsticks and glosses last for hours and no settling into fine lip lines, and no gross white lines (so this work well for more nude lipsticks).....

3) If you just want to even out your skin, this is fantastic because you can just use it over moisturized or primed skin and look a little more put together, without having to apply foundation.

4) If you apply a very bright blush, a little bit of this dusted over will subdue the color nicely (also great for blush mishaps!)

All in all, I'm very glad I didn't get rid of this product, because I adore it- maybe not for what its suppose to do, but it works amazingly well for more multi-purpose use. Also, I have grown to adore loose powders, because they last ages! I've had this over a year, and I have not come close to finishing it. A great verstatile product!

on 4/28/2010 12:59:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Since January my skin has made a total change. I don't break out so easy any more. I only have had a few breakouts and no bad cystic acne. First I thought that it is the (extreme) cold weather, so I try to enjoy so long it last. Now it is spring and my skin is still ok. Hoping that it continues....
So now this is all I use on weekends and days off. For work I start with youngblood ricepowder in medium ( a yellow powder to tone down redness) and I dust this over.That is all I use and need to use. On problemareas I only use Colorstay as an concealer.
The powder by it self is transparent but it has that softfocus effect on your face so it helps to blur out redness- dark spots etc.... Everything looks more even after this,. In a strange way it does cover up something. It also makes my pores look smaller.
The oil and shine control is the same as with most powders, works for a few hours and then I have to blot.
I like this alot, and I havn't had any problems with breakouts or clogged pores.
Is this better than other loose (transparent) powders? Hard to say, but I like the fact that it is transparent, so when my face gets oily this doesn't oxidize and change color as many other powders that I use.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Bought this because of the reviews on MA. Love it. I used to use the MAC blot powder, but this is so much better. Didn't have to touch up once during the day; and I have more oil on my face than a Texas oil gusher. Very impressed; I will for sure buy this again.

on 5/28/2010 1:15:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Wow! Shopping at MAC for lip liner and SA said "hope you don't mind but your skin would so suit this powder" - should I have been offended?! I have really oily open pored skin with rosacea that I cover with EM Neutral MMU - it covers really well but does nothing for the open pores and oil does come through as the day goes on. Also, because I have to use a darker than usual colour to cover the redness, I tend to have a orange look to my skin which I hate. Anyway, SA starts dusting this white powder over me and I immediately said no, it will cake - can't put powder on 4 hours after putting foundation on - did not cake - looked amazing - the white powder took the orangy look away, oil gone, no cake (did I mention that?) and the best bit - open pores and fine lines seriously blurred - yes even the fine lines around my eyes - is this stuff for real? Decided to purchase on the spot (don't usually buy anything without checking on MUA first) so have been reassured by the good scores on here. Been using it now for 3 days and has not caused a rosacea or acne flare. Will update if it does - but so far - HG status for me.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I LOVE this stuff. I bought it after reading reviews on here, and I'm so glad I did!
This stuff is a white, extremley finely milled powder that's suitable for any skintone. I have senstive combination skin and this soaks up the shine on my t-zone without emphasising my dry patched on my cheeks.
because it's so finely milled, you'd have to put on half a pot on your face before it gets cakey and it just give you an airbrushed look.
I apply using a large fluffly powder brush. If I'm going out all night, I'll buff it in using a small kabuki.
Just a little point, next time I buy one (tomorrow, hopefully) I am not going to rip back the cover and just pierce a few small holes in it because it tips out into the lid like nobodys business!

anyway, I love this product, and...dare I say it, a HG for me!