MAC Cosmetics Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

MAC Cosmetics Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

4.1

on 11/1/2009 10:26:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

Hmmm, well, I'm in the minority on this one but I do have dry skin so that might explain why this didn't work for me. Just returned it today. Back to the drawing board for me on a translucent powder.

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

I loved this for a long time then realised this was the reason that I had a horrible greyish cast on my face with flash photography. For years I thought, my make up doesn't look like that does it? But then reading some threads I realised that this powder was the culprit. It's disheartening to say this because this powder really does finish your makeup nicely. Since searching for alternatives, I have come across several powders that are miles ahead, but none which are transparent. So I have kept what remains in my jar and maybe one day I might try it again.

on 10/17/2011 3:27:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I tried this because it seemed like a super neutral product: transparent, not made for one skin type, and it even claims to be invisible. It's pretty blatant that it's MAC's version of Make Up For Ever's HD powder as well: finely milled, lotta silica, transparent.

PRO: SUPER finely milled. I can't detect any "grains" in it, like those beads that disappear when you put your brush on them. The amount you get is pretty good too. So far it seems like it's lasting a long time. Only 3 ingredients. I like that it's loose because it transfers the easiest to any tool (brush, puff, etc). Loose powders are cheaper and easier to make which should reduce their cost as well. I quite like using this powder over moisturizer/sunscreen. I have dry skin but somehow all moisturizers give me a sheen, magnifying pores/lines/etc. This powder takes away the shine but in a completely transparent way, it doesn't look like there is anything on my face!

CONS: When I put it on top of foundation, it can make it look dull. The finish may be called "natural" matte, but is too much and looks dry/UNnatural instead. I use Studio Sculpt (a pretty dewy foundation) and after I put this on top of it, it is flat and lacking dimension. I also need to use more than I feel like I should to set things too. I don't pack it on, but I definitely need to go back for more for different sections.

OTHER: In pictures, I think this is "invisible" looking and truly transparent. The overly matte finish isn't totally noticeable then. But since humans don't work/live in places that can double as a photoshoot 24/7, how it looks in bad light is more important to me, and there it's too matte/dry looking. This powder also makes the skin feel dry, not a sucked out moisture way, but a "I put some powder on my face! See how dry and smooth it feels?" way. It just makes things feel "set". It only leaves a white cast if you use too much or don't press it in. It's a WHITE powder after all. Also, while the cornstarch may feed bacteria, how much can it really do that? Logically, it will be sitting over a layer of moisturizer or foundation, and it's washed off every day, so it's got a bit of things in it's way. I also really need to address the packaging, because it sounds a lot worse than it is in other reviews. Yes, sifter has a lot of holes so a lot can come out, but in my experience, I haven't had problems like that and I have them all uncovered. Just a couple taps and I get enough, not TONS. Also, the powder can easy go back below the sifter. Put the cap on and give it a tap. I like simple, minimal packaging and this is it. Cheap. One final thing, this stuff works as a primer too! Tried using it before foundation a couple times and interestingly enough, MAC lists this under primer, NOT powder, on their website, so there must be something to that after all. But it feels weird to put a liquid over a powder so I won't be experimenting with that any more.

OVERALL: I'm gonna try Maybelline Mineral Power Finishing Veil, Photoready's Translucent Powder, or MAC Careblend next. I don't want shine, but I like a little "glow" and P&P removes it. Too matte for my dry skin. And while it works good on bare skin, it is way too expensive to use it just for that. I'd say it's better for normal-slightly oily skin or those who use really dewy foundations and want to neutralize the the finish. Once it mixes with oils too, it will probably appear neutral and not matte anymore. A lot of the people who say it doesn't control oil that much, I think that is kinda on purpose, otherwise the finish may be less transparent.

on 3/19/2012 9:29:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

This is an exact COPY of MUFE HD Powder. It's mostly silica, which absorbs oil (silica is what is in those tiny little white cloth rectangle/squares you find in packaging of leather goods, electronics, clothes, as it keeps the package within the packaging protected from humidity.) It also flies everywhere however you pick it up and then deposit on the skin. Because of this "cloud" of silica I'm not sure if it's a good idea to be inhalling it. You need to back out of the cloud it produces. It's not really a powder per say. I'd rather have one of Dior's loose powders for setting anything as it's so finely milled. I know, it will add some coverage, but not much, especially if you use a full brush for depsit (and it won't sbsorb oil the way silica does.) I think MAC's BLOT powder is better at absorbing excess oil than this. Nonetheless I do like it for what it is/does and would recommend it for someone more combination oily.

on 11/5/2010 12:44:00 PM

This powder disappears on my pale skin and leaves a fresh finish--not glimmery, not matte, just fresh (like I just put on m/u). It is a good all-day finish, too, that even last through more active days (when I'm outside on the weekends, for example).
It is not a 'blotting' powder, so not sure how it would do on oily skin (or darker skin--as others have noted, it is light). I tend to have a few dry patches and this doesn't highlight those bits as some powders do.
Not a miracle, but a good product.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I bought my 2nd one today at Dillards. It definitely makes a difference when i have this one on. I can't imagine wearing makeup without this. I apply before putting my mineral powder and after for a nice finish.

on 12/19/2009 11:39:00 AM

lovely stuff. Makes my skin look less poreous and smoother. Keeps me shine free all day, and its truely colorless (I'm nc42 and I wear this with no problems). The only drawback is that its super fluffy, and once you get it on top of the sifter, its never going back down. This can lead to lots of wasted product.

But, its a good price for a good amount. Been using it nearly daily for 9 months and I'm still on the same jar (but its about time for more!).

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

i just bought the prep and prime powder yesterday and i
have to say so far not a fan,it made my skin look kinda rutty and dull its hard to explain.I thought it would minimize my pores and reduce shine but it completely took all the natural dewyness away from my complextion.however in fairness this was only my first day using it,i may have used too much so tomorrow i will go easier on it.If anyone has any advice on how to better use this product let me know?okay i have now used the product for three days i guess my skin just had to adjust to it because i love it now,it does everything i wanted it to, will use this everyday!!!

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

I rated that I wouldn't buy this product again not because it isn't good - it is great. I bought it this weekend based on many reviews that I'd read about it. Does it take away shine? Yes. Does it set your makeup? Yes. But it's like MUFE's setting powder. Both are overpriced and I've found the exact same setting powder that feels, sets, and lasts the same from www.egminerals.com for much less.

This is terribly cost prohibitive but it's an awesome powder absorbs oil the best of all loose powders & the pressed is equal to MAC Blot powder if not a little bit superior imo. MAC & Chanel make the best powders. P&P is my go to in the AM. Chanel ridiculously expensive it's absurd but MAC is more affordable than chanel (when do I not feel like saving $20?! I can buy a lipstick!) lastly you can back to MAC the empty containers 6 gets u a new lipstick!! 9g is stingy but hey you are always getting a fresh supply if ur a regular user. I haven't even panned my P&P pressed powder & I've had it since xmas but I don't use it every single day I'm rotating P&P loose & P&P pressed between my chanel, blot powder, studiofix & bareminerals. Don't try this unless you want to start a high end powder habit lol the DS stuff won't compare. It's so finely miled & controls oil. I apply it w my Laura mercier powder puff I feel like my brushes are mostly ineffectual i use cheap brushes thou. Spend all the cash on the products none on the applicators ha ha I do have a few MAC & chanel brushes. None that work well w this powder. :/ hmmm...