MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

Filtered by age: 30-35
MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

on 4/6/2009 10:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!! I have pretty oily skin and this is really good at controling oil. It's not perfect; I do have to reapply once or twice a day, but I can handle that!!! No break-outs yet. I don't really expect any since I have used all of these ingredients before, but MAC makeup has a way of ruining that for me. We shall see. Keeping my fingers crossed because I love it!!!

on 5/2/2009 4:16:00 AM

Saw this on at the MAC store the other day and thought it's just one of those colourless setting powder, but then I walked closer and saw the words prep + prime.....that made me ask the SA what this is for.

It turns out you can use this both before you apply your powder foundation or after your liquid one. She tried it on the back of my hand and oohhh....it feels so smooth and so I just had to have it (LOL).

To prep for power foundation it makes your skin really smooth and so when applying powder foundation afterwards you'd notice that your brush won't drag on the skin, especially if you are using a synthetic brush.

To Prime it sets really well and has a softening affect, ideal for fine lines under eyes or on the face.

I'm very please that with this both it's performance and it's lightness. Not sure how oil resistant it is once summer hits, but so far so good.

Note: The SA at the MAC store taught me to apply with a sponge.

UPDATE: SUMMER is here and It's crazy hot where I live, my combo t-zone is pumping an oil slick. = ( I notice that when I wear this to either set or prime my foundation would last a lot longer and definitely hold off that shine. Really loving this helping my foundation stay on longer matter in the t-zone.

on 5/2/2009 10:53:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I have been dying to try MUFE HD Powder, but just haven't gotten around to getting it. When I was in my local Macy's recently, I noticed this little powder, so I immediately went to the MAC counter. I asked the SA if this was pretty much MAC's version of the HD powder, and she said yes. So I bought it immediately.

Anyway, I really should I have tried it out first. I am a very pale PPP, emphasis on very pale, so I figured the white would just blend in and it would be come translucent. Unfortunately, no matter how much I blended, I always had a white-ish cast to my skin. Even my friend noticed in the daylight. I think I'm just so pale (with pinkish-undertones) that anything white on my skin would immediately stand out. So unfortunately, for me, the MAC powder is going back, and I'm sticking to my Tarte Mineral Powder or MAC Blot. But I have no regrets in trying it, and hope it works for someone else! I think it's a great idea- just not for me!

on 5/7/2009 4:51:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I went to MAC Studio Talk in my area and the instructor recommended this powder during the class. Its a white powder that applies colorless, but leaves a soft smooth finish. It does a good job of slowing down the oilies. It also contains cornstarch, which probably enhances its oil absorbing properties. I always apply my MSF Natural pressed powder over this to add to the matte look.

on 5/12/2009 9:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

5/23/09 Update: Had to add a lippie. I bought this powder a few weeks ago. It's still very messy, but am not sure what other options there are for a product that is this fine. I had to get a new powder because I found out that my old powder was oxidizing on me and making my face pink/orange. Not very flattering. Anyways, my face is mostly matte these days and I do get a nice glow from this powder. I'm not sure if it helps at all with hiding pores, but at least it's not turning me any new colors.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A MAC MUA tried this on me and it was ok. Seemed kind of messy (even the MUA spilled product all over the place). The powder is very very fine so it's dustier than regular powders. I don't think that it helped my skin anymore than my current powder since I still got shiny by the end of the day. I probably would have bought it if I didn't already have some setting powder already. I'm not in love, but I can see myself owning it in the future when my powder runs out.
______________________________________
NC40, Black Hair, Brown Eyes, Combination Skin

on 5/12/2009 11:02:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I love this product. I have somewhat oliy skin and I did not have to touch up my face not even once during the day. Even after a long day iIwent to work out and it lasted. I declare my makeup did not move. This is a keeper. It is way better than MUFE HD powder and MAC's blotting powder. I used the MAC Prep and Prime powder on one side of my face and MUFE HD powder on the other side. I asked my husband which side he liked best and he said the MAC side because it gave my skin a glow. Ladies this is a must have product if you wear foundation or even if you don't.

on 5/22/2009 9:36:00 PM

WOW! Good bye shine! I have combination skin, but have noticed lately that my entire face becomes an oil slick about an hour after I go anywhere. I have used blot powders, blot papers (which always mess up my makeup) and such. Nothing has worked and reapplication was always necessary. Not with this stuff! It's amazing. I think my primer makes me shiny (I know, not the point of having a primer, but it's non-silicone based and I love how my makeup looks over it). So I just place this on as my finishing powder and *voila*, no shine. In fact, I have not had to touch up ALL day today, even after going out in 80 degree weather for an hour. AMAZING.

There are two downsides. One, is that I have a tendency to touch up a bit once i get into my car and see what my makeup look like in the sun. I always seem to find a place that looks splotchy. With this stuff, once you put it on, it really does set your makeup, thus not allowing you to make any corrections. So I have learned to apply it in the car once I get make all necessary adjustments. It give a flawless finished look. Two, it also makes my makeup look toned down....not white necessarily, but just a little dull. For instance, my bronzer or blush doesn't shine through. So I have to add a little blush OVER the setting powder to give me more pop. Otherwise, I am so happy!!!!! I've had bad experiences in the past with MAC products and breaking out from them, so hopefully this won't break me out because I really love it. Bye, bye shine!!!

on 5/28/2009 9:57:00 PM

What an amazing product for oily skin. I have tried everything over the years to find something that took away shine all day and minimized my pores. My face looks absolutely flawless. Normally I am not a huge MAC fan, but I will buy this for as long as they carry it. If you have oily skin, you will not be disappointed.

on 6/9/2009 5:08:00 AM

This isn't very good for oil control if you're an oily girl. It has NOWHERE near the oil control that Blot Powder has. However it is very finely milled and that makes it good for using sparingly in places with fine lines that can't tolerate too much cakey powder, for example around the eyes and above the lips.

About the shade, it's very, very white, almost flouro white! Initially, I made the mistake of using this all over and it made my face look very pale and flat and I had to use a fair bit of bronzer to bring some life back to my face. I am a C4-C5 shade.

When I look at the shade next to Mercier's transparent powder, it is obvious how very pale this is because it makes Mercier's transparent powder looks positively creamy by comparison!

Update: Downgrading this to a 1 because of how pale it makes me look in photos. MAC please produce a tinted version! The texture is still good.

on 6/15/2009 5:58:00 PM

Great product for oil control, but after a few days of using it I noticed my skin started to get really dry. The skin on my chin started to peel a little. I don't know what they use in it but I heard cornstarch was part of the ingredients. I also feel slightly itchy throughout the day. At first, I didn't think it was a big deal and then , I started to scratch my face quite often. I returned it after that.