e.l.f. Cosmetics Studio Complexion Brush

Price: $

Price: $

on 5/31/2012 8:54:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I hate to be a debbie-downer on this one, but this product isnt even worth the $3.00... it is soft & the design is very sophisticated, however, as far as the function its made to do is where it falls flat. The brush barely picks up much product (even in my most pigmented products) and when I do manage to get some on the bristles, it gets lost or something inside the brush and doesnt show up on my skin. Even thought this brush is cheap, doesnt mean its a good deal, I'd say save your money and get a better quality one that will actually work!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

i find the bristles of this brush very flims and makes the brush hard to work with. i have found a good use for it though -- applying my highlight shade.

on 10/10/2011 8:30:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

For the price, this brush is pretty good, but it's nothing amazing. I found it to be a little scratchy and not as dense as I'd like it to be. My EcoTools Retractable Kabuki Brush is considerably softer, but is more expensive (still affordable though at $8.00). I'd rather spend a little bit more for a better brush.

This is a soft cheap brush, but mine doesn't hold its shape and has gone floppy. Just a few uses after washings it seems super dirty and miss-shaped.

This is indeed a very soft brush. But too flimsy for my liking. But it's good for building up bronzer and blusher.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I like this but I don't love it. It's soft and fluffy but kind of flat at the same time. I like it for applying blush, but it isn't fluffy enough to apply bronzer all over because it just deposits the color where ever you first touch your face with the brush. I don't think this would work well for face powder, maybe if it was bigger. This makes a good blush brush for me, although it's a tiny bit too big for that.

Edit: This is just too floppy for me. Maybe if it was more dense, then it would work, but I just don't really like it.

on 4/2/2009 12:20:00 AM

Super soft, nice brush -- but if I pull on the bristles at all, and not even hard they just come right out. So just don't pull upwards on the bristles....but for three bucks it's decent, even if it lasted a short time.

on 10/20/2016 8:28:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

No idea how e.l.f. is able to produce and sell so many makeup brushes for only $3! This brush is large but not fluffy, rather it is almost flat like a paddle but with a domed/curved edge to it. I use this with the e.l.f. tone correcting pressed powder to swirl the colors together and apply as a finishing powder - love it for this purpose. Bristles are soft and deposit just the right amount of powder on my face. The only issue I have ever had with an e.l.f. brush before was the flat topped powder brush I used to apply foundation. Okay, my fault since it was labeled "powder" brush and I used it for liquid foundation but it applied it so beautifully I couldn't help myself. Downside to that was I washed it so often that the glue inside the ferrel broke down and the handle became loose over time. Lesson learned - be gentle with cleaning to not over soak the bristles too far up and the brush should remain intact much longer. Thankfully this brush does not appear to retain product (maybe because this powder is awesome?) but I don't find myself having to clean it as often. Well worth the $3 in my opinion and highly recommend it.

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

At first I wasn't sure what to do with this brush but after experimenting with all things powder, I realize you can use it for most things. I wouldn't recommend it if you are only using powder as foundation, because it wouldn't get the coverage but as far as powder over foundation, blush and bronzer, it works and feels like a dream. I didn't think I was going to get any color with it because of its fluffiness, but somehow it works beautifully. It's also great for setting powder and blending face for a more natural look after you are done with your makeup.
Another great, cheap brush

I've had this soft and serviceable brush for a long time... I can't say exactly how long. Could be anywhere from 4-5 years; and it is finally about to fly the coup. This brush, along with the other e.l.f. brushes I bought around that same time, have started to shed like crazy and are entirely unusable. However, you can hardly blame an inexpensive brush for shedding after that length of time- probably even a pricey one would.

I've used this primarily as my main blush brush, but also as an all-over bronzer brush and a powder brush. When you're traveling and need to carry fewer brushes this is a real multitasker.

A couple issues with this brush were that shortly after I got it, the black paint chipped off the handle in a major way. That's simply an aesthetic thing and didn't bother me much. The other thing was that the brush head broke off the handle and had to be glued back on more than once. That one was more of an inconvenience. My mom has the same e.l.f. brushes and hers also required repair.

Overall the brush was good value, in spite of the maintenance concerns! But it is time to retire it. I live in Canada and it's hard to find e.l.f., unless I'm lucky enough to stumble across it at Winners. And the website doesn't have the best Canadian shipping options. So I think I'll be replacing this brush with one from Real Techniques or EcoTools. But if you can pick it up, it's a good steal.

Popular Makeup Brushes