Essie Bold and Beautiful

Essie Bold and Beautiful

4.6

What an elegant and rich shade! I'd say this is a brownish /burgundy red color. It applies very easily and without and hassles such as bubbles or bald spots. It may be only slightly streaky compared to other Essie polishes, but it's not a huge issue. I've had much worse formulas, by far. It goes on almost opaque in 1 coat but I feel it needs two thin coats to be perfect. In the sunlight you can really get a sense of the brown hue in the red which I love, but in indoor light the shade looks closer to a standard but pretty burgundy. With a good top coat (seche vite or Essie's good to go!) this polish lasts about 5 days without any chips, then by day 6 or 7 small corner ships start to show but I think this a standard for most Essie polishes and quite acceptable.

on 2/13/2012 6:43:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is one of my favorite polishes. It's a dark red that never looks black--it's always red (well, burgundy) and always dark. As others have said, it has a jelly quality to it, although it's opaque. Very classy polish in every way. And it lasts a week on me (with touchups), which is something not all Essie polishes do. For reference, I am NW20.

on 11/26/2011 4:08:00 PM

Wow, I'm amazed at the descriptions of this as a true red - it is a very dark magenta red to me. The first coat in fact is just plain magenta. It's darker than Bordeaux but a somewhat similar look. I prefer the Bordeaux, which is more wine and less cranberry jelly. Still haven't found my true deep classic red.

on 12/6/2010 10:50:00 AM

Really beautiful color - a very rich, deep red. Great for the holidays. Has a slight edge without being vampy. Will definitely repurchase when I run out!

on 10/20/2011 12:43:00 PM

My favorite Fall red from Essie on my light tan Asian NC30/C4 skin. It's more jelly-ish as others state, but I only need two coats. It's a perfect, deep, garnet red with TONS of gloss. I love it. Feels chic and sexy and not garish and the jelly-quality means less chipping in my experience. 5 full days without a chip! Recommend!

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Coarse

This is a great vampy rich red. It has a jelly quality as other reviewers have stated so I used three coats to make the coverage more opaque. The formula was great and the brush cooperated with me as I have a hit or miss relationship with the Essie's brush. I also used three coats so I could get the color to be as deep as it is in the bottle on my nails. Nice fall/winter shade. NC55 for reference.

Described as a rich ruby garnet. Again, the color is deeper and darker in the bottle than what it actually looks like on the nails after two coats. It's a darker shade of red, very glossy and shiny. Quite nice actually! It's my first day wearing the this color so it has not chipped yet - we'll see how long it lasts! I don't wear a lot of red nailpolish so I don't think I'll repurchase, but for anyone who likes red tones, this one is a keeper!

on 9/9/2009 8:05:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Gorgeous ruby garnet color. A little dark for me.

on 9/11/2010 7:16:00 PM

Bold and Beautiful comes from Essie's Winter 2008 collection, and at the time was seen as being the most boring colour of the bunch - the lone creme amongst a range of shimmery purples and a gold. I purchased the full collection and Bold and Beautiful was the first one I picked out to wear, and almost 2 years on is the one I use the most.

Whilst I do love almost all red cremes, this one is a particular favourite and stands out amongst others. Essie has the description spot on with "ruby red garnet" as it is a beautiful rich deep red. And it is a proper, true red, unlike many other deep reds that lean brown. I think that is what I love about it so much, the colour has a kind of clarity to it, whilst other reds may be tinged with brown or orange.

I use two coats of Bold and Beautiful - the first coat gives quite a bright red shade, but a second coat achieves the darker bottle colour. The polish has a jelly-ish finish to it, I say jelly-ISH because it is not completely translucent like some jellies and my nail tips are not visible after two coats. However, it does have the beautiful glossy shine of a jelly. My one criticism of the polish is that it does apply a little unevenly at times if I don't take great care when applying. It isn't too obvious when it does though, but it isn't the kind of colour you can just slap on in a rush.

Essies wear very well on me and I can go for about 4 days without chips. I would definitely repurchase this shade if I ever ran out (I am currently about a third of the way through the bottle).

on 6/17/2010 3:18:00 AM

Beautiful color. Its a deep red but I wouldn't call it vampy. The finish is fantastic - so glossy. Its a jelly polish so it can look a bit uneven. I am personally satisfied with 2 coats but for close-up photos of nails one would probably require 3 coats. Overall I am blown away by how glossy and fresh it looks. One of the absolute best colors I own (out 110 bottles of polish) Would definitely buy again.

Popular Polishes