no images

package quality

price range

Reviews

3 months ago

Went to the Ginza store in Tokyo. Told by the SA that Gaiac 10 is Le Labo's most popular city exclusive and therefore 350 Yen for a 50 ml bottle. The larger 100 ml bottle went for 500 Yen and they were sold out of the perfume the night I was there. Returned the following day when the 50 ml was in stock. This was a gift for a friend as I am not familiar with Le Labo. Told by the SA that since my friend has the bottle they can bring it to any Le Labo store in the US and get it refilled if they have the Gaiac 10 mixture. I was floored that they would provide that the mixture is available in the US, but they won't make it unless you have the bottle and accompanying bottle. The SA had to spray the fragrance stick 4 times in order for me to smell anything. It is definitely a very light fragrance.

About reviewer (1 reviews)

SkinOther, Other

HairOther

a year ago

Gaiac is a minimalistic masterpiece.I first tried this at Barney's and it did not sit well with me for the first couple of times I sampled it. I got ...bacon. Hickory smoked bacon. Incense and bacon. The SA did have a good laugh ! However, I was able to move past that .I do love Le Labo . I took an expensive chance last year 2017. I bought a 50 ml bottle of Gaiac over Mousse de Chene , Vanille , Aldehydes etc ,etc. I found, over time,the bacon aspect disappeared and it became a scent of cool incense . I have read that some find Gaiac a quiet scent that disappears or is not lasting. Gaiac is a scent that requires no more than two sprays . On me, it lasts and lasts with soft billows of that cool and chic incense ,that never shouts . It's quite linear too. Unisex . It is a 5 star fragrance. Never underestimate Le Labo creations especially the City Exclusives. There is always more to them than meets the eye or nose. This is what makes them unique in their offerings. What may appear simple, effortless is usually a work of art.

About reviewer (463 reviews)

SkinCombination, Medium, Not Sure

a year ago

I don't know how to feel about spending $300 on a bottle of perfume, but the problem is that I connected with this scent on a spiritual level. I read about the different notes and technical specs... to me there is something irresistibly, inherently familiar and comforting about it. I can't adequately describe how wonderful it makes me feel and how good it smells. You just have to go experience it!

About reviewer (101 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBrown, Curly, Medium

EyesBrown

8 years ago

I'm a Maitre D at an upscale restaurant in Manhattan, this fragrance is pure reassurance and tranquility in a bottle, and believe me, it's a pretty high stress job. Deep, tranquil woods, surrounded by radiant musks. perfect, it makes people want to lean closer. I should write it off on my taxes for work expense. Vanille 44 and Gaiac 10 are pretty much all I wear.

About reviewer (13 reviews)

SkinNormal

HairBrown

EyesHazel

2.0

9 years ago

i bought a full size bottle when it was available online for the charity cause (red cross for japan), and i had high hopes given all the raves about it. lovely fragrance, but it just doesn't stay. virtually can't be detected in less than an hour's time. can't afford paying a fortune for sth that's gone in no time!

About reviewer (61 reviews)

SkinCombination, Other, Not Sure

HairBlack, Other, Other

EyesBrown

9 years ago

Mmmm. This scent is divine and I briefly considered paying $290 for 50ml while it's available (proceeds go to the Japanese Red Cross) outside Japan until May 15, but I'll resist.That said, Gaiac 10 is a comforting, sensual, clean woody incense with just the barest hint of soft, sweet musk. If I had my preference in the limited Le Labo full bottle range I would probably cave on the vanilla (Paris) but it would be tough to pass this one up. I'll wear my $70ish Just Breathe from CBIHP and be able to continue to provide my pets with food & shelter.

About reviewer (132 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinOther, Other, Not Sure

10 years ago

Dang I love this fragrance. Usually I don't have a problem with words...but I'm not sure how to describe this. I guess it's not surprising that I like this because I'm seeing that, as I try more and more different scents, I tend to gravitate towards more 'unisex' and possibly woodier scents (but not so spicy). For example, while an iris scent, I truly love l'Artisan Iris Pallida. I tried other irises, such as Serge Lutens Iris Silver Mist and the Different Company Bois d'Iris, but nothing compares in terms of loveliness. I suspected that maybe it was the guaiac note and so I sought out other fragrances with that particular note to see if that's what I love. I don't really have refined olfactory senses at this point so I'm not sure if the guaiac is what makes Iris Pallida special, but I'm so glad I explored because I found this little gem. But now I would liken my state to the feeling of unrequited love because I fear I'll never own a full bottle (having never been to Japan let alone in possession of $400 in disposable income to spend on perfume! If only...). Anyway, yes, this is a woody fragrance. It's not 'loud', but lays close to the skin, as other reviewers have already mentioned. It's warm and clean-smelling. I guess it's masculine, but I'm a 30 year old girlie girl and this fragrance is about as close to holy grail as I've ever gotten. My husband doesn't really notice it, but I like this fragrance so much that I don't even care. If you have the money BUY IT (for me!). If not, get the largest decant you can. This is a great everyday fragrance, which is probably why I love it so much. Special occasions might call for something a little 'more'. Update: I've given this review some thought since writing it a few days ago and, while I still love this fragrance, I have to admit I'm somewhat uncomfortable with the policy of 'exclusivity' practiced by Le Labo in regards to their City Exclusive range. I'm kind of torn over this...while I like the idea of a fragrance as an homage to a place, and I like the idea of wearing a fragrance that isn't mainstream (is unique and so forth), I'm not sure I like that these city exclusives are only available in their respective namesake cities. But I guess making them readily available would make the whole concept 'city exclusive' redundant...At the same time, this concept seems elitist and exclusionary, which is not something I really like. I don't know if this negative connotation is something that's intentional on the part of the company...perhaps they've got a good conceptual/practical justification. I dunno...still thinking about this one.

About reviewer (16 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinCombination, Fair, Not Sure

HairBlond, Other, Other

EyesGreen

10 years ago

This authentically smells like the living wood of a forest. It has the dark, rich, deep sweetness of the wood from which an oboe might be made. It reminds me of the smell of African blackwood. It has a resinous tinge to the middle notes and leaves a warm, spicy, almost masculine wake. Overall the lasting power is good, about 6-7 hours, the perfume wears close to the body, yet still enough to be noticeable and obvious to you at all times. The radius strength of sillage is less than a French perfume and more than a Japanese, about halfway in between the two. This really is deserving of 5 stars, but I can't give it that because I personally wouldn't seek this out and buy a FB. Even a decant, I don't have to own, but I do enjoy it very much. Especially on the right man, it would be great. I suppose that's where I differ from other reviewers, I enjoy musks more so than woods in perfume, although I love to wear wood oils in my hair. If they made this in a camelia hair oil (or maybe the non-alcohol version)... and I happened to be in Tokyo ready to part with several hundred dollars -- sold.

About reviewer (255 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinDry, Other, Warm

10 years ago

There are a handful of fragrances that I will never part with and Le Labo Gaiac 10 is at the top of the list. Gaiac 10 knows no seasonal bounds- light enough to wear in the summer heat yet the woodsy cedar works well in winter months.I am not a fan of musks but Gaiac 10 settles on the skin lightly yet will last many hours with out being over bearing.. To describe this elusive scent is not an easy task.I do know this: a few sprays of this elusive,tranquil fragrance sets the mood for the day-both simple yet sophisticated The bottle like all Le Labo packaging is devoid of extravagance- basic apothecary style bottle and label .The cap design is almost an ornament-substantial in weight yet sensible-together with the bottle it somehow connotes the science of fragrance. Adoration......

About reviewer (36 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair, Not Sure

HairSilver, Other, Other

EyesBlue

10 years ago

I'm sure there are a lot of fragrances out there which smell fairly close to Gaiac. Unfortunately, I don't know what these would be. I guess what I'm trying to say is it doesn't smell unique or challenging. So one would think that the $400 price tag is unwarranted. And one would be mostly right. However, there is something so bewitching about this scent, as other reviewers below have commented on. It's woods (I smell mostly cedar since I don't know what gaiac actually smells like), balanced with some freshness (I have no clue what ingredient this would be as there is nothing in the official notes to suggest this but perhaps it's the "not as hard cedar" gaiac component) and skin. The sillage is weak but the staying power is high. If you don't normally go for woodsy scents, you may want to give this a try. Or maybe don't, if you don't want to get stuck paying obscene amounts for a perfume. Whoever is behind the marketing of this company must be commended.

About reviewer (122 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair