3.8

package quality

price range

Reviews

7 months ago

This shampoo is a total itch fest. The drying effect much be incredible because it makes my scalp itch like crazy. I also end up getting dandruff, but the kind that looks like it’s from a dry scalp rather than kind from malassezia. My hair itself feels very stripped even after conditioner. I know everyone’s hair is different but this was a total fail for me.

About reviewer (3 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinAcne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBrown, Straight, Medium

9 months ago

Soooooooo drying. My hair is normally really really really easy and forgiving. I've never had to use any particular shampoo or conditioner or process for it to look basically fine and be healthy. Zero issues with dryness. I prefer the waviest iteration of my hair (it vacillates day-to-day between straight and 2B), so a while back I looked up how to encourage the curl and decided to try a sulfate-free shampoo + silicone-free condition combo. The first sulfate-free shampoo I tried was super greasy and awful, so I abandoned that within a week. Then I tried this Tea Tree Tingle shampoo from Trader Joe's and was pleased with how clean and refreshing it felt and so stuck with it for the last several months. Unfortunately, I think it's far too zealous in its cleaning because, having used it for a while now, my hair has never been drier or more broken. I have developed SPECTACULAR split-ends. The ends have split so many times they look little Christmas trees. Or pipe cleaners. And in many cases, the hair has split several inches up from the end of the hair. Usually the ends will split very mildly right at the ends when it's time for a trim. Nothing like this. I just switched to another sulfate-shampoo and am cutting 3-4 inches hair off today.

About reviewer (2 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair, Not Sure

HairBlond, Wavy, Medium

EyesGreen

3.0

a year ago

This shampoo is a mixed bag for me. It takes care of the primary purpose I need it for--clean my scalp of build-up from styling products and make it feel fresh and clean. I wash my hair daily, but I still felt like my scalp was getting a build up. I think my shampoo is just too gentle, and I do use a lot of styling products. This feels very refreshing when you are using it. It lathers well, and it does give you a tingle, but not in a bad way. My scalp felt so clean and fresh after I used it. But my hair-my hair looked and felt so bad after. I used a deep conditioner afterwards, anticipating it would be drying, and that still wasn't enough. My hair looked dry, rough and frizzy. Three days later, and my hair is still looking rough. I am afraid to use it again, which is too bad since it did make my scalp feel wonderful. My hair is color treated. (I don't think it affected the color, by the way.)

About reviewer (501 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinCombination, Fair, Neutral

HairBrown, Straight, Fine

EyesGray

a year ago

This has been my favorite shampoo for years. It gets my hair super clean without stripping it plus it feels and smells great on my scalp. I'm natural with 3c/4a hair type. Will continue to purchase this as long as they make it plus it lasts forever.

About reviewer (448 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinVery Oily, Dark, Warm

from

a year ago

Great product. Really like how my hair and scalp feels. Great job Traders Joe's! This is an amazing product.

About reviewer (3 reviews)

SkinOily, Fair, Not Sure

HairBrown, Other, Other

2.0

a year ago

I wanted to love this product so much. I loved it after the first wash. It felt very refreshing. After the second and the third wash, i decided to give it away. It made my scalp very itchy. I usually wash my hair every 2 to 3 days but I washed my hair one day after I used this because my scalp was so itchy. Otherwise I would love it.

About reviewer (16 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinCombination, Medium

HairBlack

from

a year ago

♥️♥️♥️♥️ this shampoo, repurchased so many times now. At first I thought it would dry out my hair with consistent useage loved the results it gave me. Doesn't strip my hair of moisture, pairs well with any conditioner and the best part it's dirt cheap. " HG" shampoo!!!

About reviewer (413 reviews)

SkinNormal, Medium, Warm

EyesBlack

2 years ago

This is one of my favorite shampoos right now. I have thick, coarse, long hair and do not like Trader Joe's other shampoos. It cleans my hair, is refreshing, and does not dry it out. It doesn't offer heavy-duty moisture, but I really like this as much as Paul Mitchell's tea tree shampoo. My hair is dry right now from coloring, but often, moisturizing shampoos leave a heavy film that dries out my hair in the long run. So I'm left with greasy yet dry hair. If you have long hair and wash often, this product won't break the bank.

About reviewer (111 reviews)

SkinOther, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

2 years ago

I love tea tree oil, so I really wanted to love this shampoo. My scalp also gets irritated with too much SLS, so this looked great! However, it just did nothing for my straight, long hair that tends to be on the oily side. My hair didn't feel less oily and yet it felt ridiculously dry and tangled. I had MUCH better results with the "Yes To" tea tree oil line, although they are more expensive at about $8 for a medium size bottle.

About reviewer (105 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairBrunette

EyesBlue

2 years ago

This shampoo and the matching conditioner saved my scalp! I have issues with eczema on various parts of my body, including my scalp. My hair is very fine in texture but thick in quantity, and shoulder length with a very slight wave. I wash and condition every other day. The only styling product I use is sea salt spray for texture and I blow dry each time. I occasionally use temporary natural henna dye, but never anything chemical or permanent. Both hair and scalp tend to be a little dry. This shampoo gently cleanses my hair and scalp. The minty tingle is mild and refreshing. It doesn't leave my hair stripped, but I always follow with the matching conditioner to help with tangles. Using this pair leaves my hair light and smooth with body and shine, never weighed down or dry, just nicely balanced. And my scalp is very calm & happy, all eczema & irritation has cleared! Most shampoos and conditioners have irritated my scalp eczema over the years. I have tried many dandruff shampoos with no success. This pair is the only thing that has cleared my scalp. I’ve been using for about a year.

About reviewer (6 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair, Neutral