Shiseido Benefiance Pure Retinol Instant Treatment Eye Mask

Shiseido  Benefiance Pure Retinol Instant Treatment Eye Mask

4.1

on 9/17/2016 9:15:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

well, I was a big Shiseido fan for years - before I discovered Korean skincare brands.
I used this eye mask for years and liked it a lot because there weren't any effective retinol products on the market at all. Although I always thought the price tag was horrendous.

About two years ago they changed the formula of the ingredients and since that time, the 12 pieces-pack is even more expensive and it is now heavily fragranced.
Positive about this: yes, it does work around the eye area - moderately. It's not bad, but since it has that much frangrance in it I don't like it much anymore.

But the reason this only gets two lippies from me is that there are about 30 Korean skincare brands who offer fantastic under-eye retinol masks which work a lot better and cost comparably nothing - and the ingredients are better. (and as an add-on not unimportant for me: Korean skincare brands are mostly without animal testing - Shiseido is one of the brands still doing those tests)

While this Shiseido eye mask has a single pack price of around 9$ (where I live), I can get a way better Korean eye mask for 1-2 dollar per pack.
So, after Shiseido changed the formula, added horrible fragrance, it's super-overpriced, and the Korean brands work so much better I would certainly not repurchase this.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Heavily fragranced, contains alcohol and pretty high on the ingredients list - not every alcohol is bad, but the type of the alcohol is not named.

One star is mostly because of its ridiculous price. There are retinol products out there, like retinol moisturizers, without fragrance, lasts for a longer time and cheaper than these masks considering how long they last. I'm generally not a fan of paper masks as they work exactly the same as moisturizers/serums, the only difference is instead of applying the cream/serum with your fingers, you apply it with paper, so while they can be fun, they are not necessary or better than a moisturizer/serum.

Even on the box of this mask it's advised to use 2-4 days a week. There are only 12 masks in the box for $63 in the USA, more expensive in some other countries like mine. If you were to use the masks three times a week, the box would last only a month. There are definitely cheaper alternatives that are better.

My experience with the product is, I saw absolutely no difference on my fine lines or anything else after using it twice a week for two weeks. It also gave me a single milia.

P.S. While I can believe some people might see some good results even after the first use, some positive reviews on MUA about this product gave me the "I guess either they see what they want to see, or they had dehydrated skin" suspicion. Retinol is the only scientifically proven ingredient that might help to reduce the look of your wrinkles. HOWEVER, google it and you'll see yourself, it is said the difference (if you will see any) generally starts to show itself after 3-6 months. Even if we assumed it might work faster on some people, it just cannot work as fast as "I used it once or twice, and noticed a difference." Which makes me suspect some good reviewers here either saw what they wanted to see, or they had dehydrated skin and any good moisturizer would temporarily reduce the apperance of wrinkles - dry skin can make your lines appear more afterall.

on 7/22/2015 5:58:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I bought the 3-pair package to try these out and they sat in my medicine cabinet for months. After noticing a deep wrinkle under my right eye, I knew it was time to get these out and give them a try. I applied the masks (which are crescent-shaped cotton sheets soaked in the ivory-colored retinol serum) underneath my eyes after cleansing and applying SK-II Treatment Essence. I let the masks sit for the recommended 15 minutes. The only eye mask I’ve ever used before this for from obscure/cult brand DHC. DHC’s eye masks had a sticky gel side that actually stuck to the undereyes, making it difficult to blink or look down. Also, removing DHC’s eye mask was similar to removing a band-aid and I couldn’t help but wonder if it was doing more harm than good by pulling the skin so much. Shiseido’s was nothing like that. The saturated masks stay put, but since they are just wet, not sticky, they move when I blink or move my eyes, so they were much more comfortable to wear, but be careful not to get the serum in your eyes. There’s still a decent amount of the retinol serum, left behind, so I tap and smooth it into the eye area like an eye cream. After the first use I didn’t notice anything, but after the second use (7 days later) and third use (4 days after that) my undereyes seemed brighter, my dark circles seemed lighter and (best of all) the new wrinkle was smaller! I will keep buying these so long as I see results!

Holy @*#& batman....these really work! I had them but never used them and the have sat in my drawer for quite a while. I figured they were just some throw in thing for a GWP deal. I tried them and had to write a review because I can't believe my eyes (no pun intended).

There is a remarkable visible difference.....my lines and puffiness are radically diminished and the under eye darkness is there but not nearly as bad. I am a product junkie, love makeup and products and I'm in awe. These actually are the bomb!

Very pricey - about $68 for 12 pkgs of 2. Seriously would spend the money because of the amazing results. I just am so elated because something actually works....so many claims that products will deliver but they fail....this is truly the exception. Simply - WOW! Freaky good. I keep looking in the mirror because the skin around my eyes is radically smoother. AMAZING. Worth the money.

on 6/12/2014 3:45:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I've been having a few late nights studying and my dark circles have just been really bad. I saw the good reviews on this eye mask and thought I would give it go. I agree with the other reviews that this product is really expensive. It was $87 at Myer or David Jones. Even on strawberry net, it is $77 AUD.

I've only tried it once. It did reduce the dark circles a bit and the puffiness but I wouldn't say to a big extent. I don't have wrinkles yet so I can't comment on whether it helps wrinkles. Unlike the other paper masks I use, the material of this mask was thinner but it did stick to the skin tighter? I don't mean that it stuck to the skin that it can't be removed but the skin just felt tighter when I did have the mask on.

I probably wouldn't but this product again given its price and it only worked slightly.

on 3/27/2014 10:21:00 AM

This is a very good product. I use it once a week alternating it between SK-II eye mask.

I feel my under eye area is much more firm and hydrate next morning and this is one of the product that I will keep on using.

The packaging is very good and I am totally into it.

on 3/8/2013 12:10:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

The best ever.... all i dreamed off.

on 1/6/2013 5:34:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Useless.

on 1/6/2013 2:33:00 PM

I never write reviews but Im obsessed with this product. i wish it wasnt so expensive but it completely erases lines around eyes

on 12/22/2012 4:03:00 PM

This is a really good eye mask, helps with the wrinkles and the dark circles, refreshes the eye area.