Price: $

Sodium bicarbonate

on 6/20/2016 5:56:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I used Baking Soda as a gentle exfoliator for a while, and it did a decent job for cheap. BUT I STOPPED AND HERE'S WHY:
I've read in multiple places online that baking soda disrupts the skin's natural barrier function. It's too alkaline and even more so when mixed with water. A damaged acid mantle (barrier) can lead to all sorts of skin issues and acne. Not trying to put down anyone's routine or suggest that I know better, I just wanted to share. My dermatologist in the States recommended I stop using it when I mentioned to her that I exfoliated a few times a week with it. I thought she was probably just trying to sell me something from her office, but she didn't. Then I looked into it for myself, and decided I'd better quit, especially since I'm on tretinoin.

There's plenty of science behind it, I suggest researching if you're curious.

I still use it for cleaning my tubs and sinks though, and occasionally in laundry.

on 6/20/2016 12:19:00 PM

I am a simple skincare girl - basically I only use Ivory Soap, Ponds Cold Cream to remove my mascara and a moisturizer on my face... and usually my skin is OK. But for the last 2 years I have been getting clogged pours (sebaceous filaments) and blackheads around my mouth and on my chin. When I try to extract them (Bad, I know!) if I don't get the little suckers well then they flare up and I get a full blown nasty zit. Since they have gotten so bad I decided to start using some scrubs to see if they would help my situation. After using a few from the drug store with little to no results I started googling. Isn't google amazing?! After searching remedies for blackheads I noticed that baking soda scrub kept popping up... So I decided to grab the baking soda out of my cupboard at home and give it a whirl. Well I am so glad that I did because within two weeks of using this simple water and baking soda mixture about 5 times (each use spaced a few days apart) the clogged pours have cleared up and I was able to extract the existing blackheads much easier. Like I said it has only been two weeks, so we will see if these results last but I am currently very pleased with this CHEAP and EASY solution for now!

To Read all 489 Reviews, Login or Join

Be careful with this. It works pretty good as a peel, mix it with a lot of water tho, and use only once a month (I use it seasonally). Follow with a heavy moisturizer, your skin is gonna be thirsty for days after. I use it in the shower for my body every 10 days, it's great for brightening and exfoliating.

on 3/27/2016 4:12:00 AM

Eyes: Violet

I mix honey with baking soda for my exfoliate. I love it and have used it for years. It is gentle, smells beautiful, tastes like honey comb and leaves my skin soft and never dry

on 10/31/2015 4:17:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

There are so many uses for baking soda but favourites are:

HAIR:
Fill a bottle of water with 1 tablespoon of baking soda, wet hair, pour baking soda solution over hair and scalp, shampoo and condition as usual. It deep cleanses and conditions at the same time.

BLACKHEADS:
Use CURE Aqua Gel on cleansed skin, exfoliate with a Clarisonic and baking soda paste (baking soda mixed with water), followed by Aesop Primrose Cleansing Masque. Effectively removes the majority of blackheads and makes extraction a lot easier after. Might not be suitable for sensitive skins.

DENTAL HYGIENE:
Rinse and gargle with baking soda water, do your dental routine as usual. Takes away bad breath more effectively than without.

on 8/12/2015 2:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I don't use this for my skin but I use it for my teeth with activated charcoal and raw coconut oil and it makes my teeth feel so clean and white!! Would recommend!

I have sensitive and acne prone skin and this product made my skin worse. It also made my skin really dry and it was really irritating.

on 4/3/2015 5:33:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure

Used this as a clarifying wash along with a acidic rinse after. Made my hair really dry and ridiculously coarse even weeks after using it. I have also used this as a face mask which I won't ever do again as I felt burning on my face.

on 1/19/2015 9:33:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'm reviewing this from a facial scrub perspective. It's a great exfoliator when mixed into a paste with water. Leaves skin baby soft afterward, though it takes a while to rinse the residue off properly FYI. My skin doesn't get irritated after use, though I usually tend break out into cystic acne a few days after. I'm not sure if that's because it's drawing out impurities or what. It's definitely worth giving a try due to price, but I wouldn't use it more than once a week.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

For as long as I remember I've had terrible skin troubles, got teased a lot as a kid when it was at its worst. My nickname was "pimple girl" and strangers came up to me and said my skin was so bad. I have tried:

-Accutane (twice), Skin became porcelain (perfect) for around 8 months, then back to acne again.

-Antibiotics: Only a temporary fix

-Microderms: $150, extremely expensive, left skin dry dry dry.

-Chemical peels: No effect, just drying, maybe skin looks radiant for a few days

-Urine: YES, i was that desperate..I put PEE on my face. No effect!

-Oils: I've tried organic olive oil, argan oil, etc...break out city!!!

-Facials by esthetician: I've spent around $100 a visit. skin looks nice for 3 days, after back to normal. I believe facials are ineffective.

-Skincare: Ole Henrickson, Shiseido, Eminence (people LOVE this but for me, it was the WORST!)

-Using acidic water to clean face: Face felt irritated

-Using plant (botanical) products: gave me acne, aloe vera on my face is a no no

-Aspirin mask, egg mask, honey mask: left skin irritated+dry

-Mineral makeup: No change

-Going without makeup: No change

Baking soda + exercise+ cutting out some foods (YES, food has a huge impact on your face, at least mine.) has solved all of my problems...After I incorporate them into my daily regime, I don't need super heavy makeup anymore. Thank you, I didnt know my acne cure was so cheap. My face feels So hydrated and so soft. For those people who say you should NEVER put alkaline products on your face, REMEMBER, EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT, you have to try. I wish you luck for your skin clearing journey.

Popular Other Products