4.3

on 12/11/2017 1:22:00 PM

The only thing that can cure my acne marks and hyper pigmentation along with glycolic acid from Neostrata <3

I began derma rolling late January. I've been using a 1.0 mm roller. I follow it up with a Cosmedica hyaluronic acid serum, or sometimes with Andalou Naturals Enlighten Serum and plenty of moisturizer once that dries. I do it every 4-6 weeks, sometimes longer if I'm procrastinating.

The results from this are very, very gradual and therefore hard to be sure of. I was not sure I was seeing results at all until I got my passport photo taken almost a month ago. We all know passport photos are brutal and unforgiving. I actually liked mine, and it was the first I've been pretty sure the derma rolling is doing something, because my skin looked so plump and glowy. Dare I say I look younger in it than my last passport photo from five years ago. Another major hallmark of the derma roller's effectiveness is that my most prominent line across my forehead has been barely perceptible for the last 6 months despite the fact that previously over the last 3 years, it had been steadily increasing in prominence.

Anyways, it's very hard to track derma rolling progress unless you're very diligent with taking photographs, which I can't say I have been. So why still do it? For one thing, it is pretty damn inexpensive. Maybe $20-$30 for a derma roller (you could probably go cheaper but I'd be suspicious of quality) which you should probably replace every so often. I'll be real with you that I have been using the same one all this time, but I'll be replacing it soon. You'll also probably want some serum for afterwards (which you likely already have if you're into skincare enough to know about derma rolling), maybe some sheet masks, and some 70% isopropyl alcohol. You'll want a numbing cream too for longer needles or if you're sensitive to pain (I haven't been using numbing cream myself). All together, that's a pretty cheap shopping list.

But my favorite part of derma rolling, and why I'd probably keep doing it even if I was totally unsure if I was seeing results, is how infrequently you have to do it. It varies on the length of the needles and I've seen differing opinions on how infrequently you should do it. But for 1.0 mm it's usually 4-6 weeks. So one relatively short session every month or month and a half, and then you can just forget about it and go about your life.

One last note is that if you decide to try derma rolling, as inexpensive and infrequent as the treatments are, it's not a practice you want to take lightly. I do recommend spending a fair bit of time reading about it and making sure you're going about it the right way, to maximize effectiveness but also to prevent possible damage by doing it incorrectly. I recommend at least reading the Simple Skincare Science post on it, as well as checking out the OwnDoc pdf.

on 11/14/2017 3:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Ok WHAT?!? This is the most amazing thing ever! I dermarolled for the first time ever a week ago. I bought a german made roller for 10 euros with 0.5 mm needles.I have pretty sensitive skin with medium sized visible pores which is clogprone, dehydrated with an oily t zone (yes this combo is possible and not very easy haha) I rolled at night and turned bright red, some spots on my forehead where there is less flesh were bleeding a little. Since my skin is used to retin a (I use 0,025 % 6 nights weekly) I decided to put it on after rolling to make it penetrate deeper, it didn't sting at all. When I woke up the next day I was still bright red which I didn't expect from the other reviews, my skin also got dryer and dryer and my boyfriend told me that I felt like a piece of wood... lol.... well... as the day went by pieces of my skin started to peel off especially around my mouth and in between my eyebrows, it didn't look too sexy together with my foundation which was just sitting on top of the red wooden face.. at night I just cleansed my face with my dove soap which I always use and put on some physiogel moisturizer. The next morning I woke up to my boyfriend yelling at me that my face is falling off... it really was amazing I never peeled so much in my life, still it didn't hurt my skin just felt tight. In the shower I could just roll off the dead skin which I found oddly satisfying... the redness lasted for about 1 1/2 days and the peeling about 4 days and then, all of a sudden I looked into the mirror and I saw skin I didn't see for the last 15 years (I turn 35 in a week): even toned, non bumpy, smooth, plumped up skin looking moisturized but not shiny and well rested! Waaaaah!!!! I have a little scar above my upper lip which was white and almost impossible to cover. It is fleshed colored now! Amazing! My little acne scars on my cheeks are much smoother, when I smile they don't look like wrinkles anymore and the elevens between my brows look less prominent! I will definitely continue using this! I am thinking about every 3 weeks so my skin can heal properly between uses. I will update!

Update: I met my dad who I didn't see for a couple of months and he asked if I got fillers in my cheeks lol! My cheeks really do look plumper and i looked in the mirror in the supermarket which I usually avoid because of the harsh lighting: my skin really looked remarkably smooth, also my dark circles didn't look as dark as usual... happy!!
I will roll again tonight for the second time and see if it gets even better! Very exciting!

on 10/4/2017 4:22:00 PM

Hi guys!

When I turned 30, I started paying more attention to my skincare routine and was struggling with post acne scars left from my teen years. Was trying a lot of expensive creams and masks with no results, the scars were to deep for them:(

Then I started serching and in a while found out about device called 'dermaroller' which helped me a lot with my problem. Hope it can help you too:)

Here is some useful info for the ones who want to try it out.

Derma roller is a small device with a roller, on the surface of which there are small needles. The size of the needles varies from 0.1 mm to 2.5 mm. Optimum for home use is a roller with 0.5 mm needles. ( for face). Using at home with needles larger than 1 mm can be dangerous, so they are used only by professionals.

It can help you with:
- Wrinkles and age-related changes on the skin,
- "Goose paws" in the eye area,
- Reduced tonus of the skin.
- The problem of age spots and freckles,
- Uneven skintone
- Oily skin, enlarged pores, increased sebum
- The problem of hair loss on the head
- Scars and post acne spots

Do NOT use it if you have:
Ø Eczema
Ø Psoriasis
Ø Active acne
Ø Increased moles
Ø Warts
Ø Irritated skin, open wounds and burns

Before use, always sanitise it. I used alcohol.
You will also need some serum, just your regular one or I would recommend hyaluronic acid, which is great for aging skin.
Following the instructions, I rolled it on the skin first horizontally (move the roller back and forth))), then vertically, then diagonally. Each region is processed at least 10 times. Don't put to much pressure, not to damage your skin.

Sensations during use - I can't tell that it's paintful. Yes, there is a tingling sensation, but everything is pretty fine and personally I'm even pleased. After the procedure, the face turns slightly red, and you can feel the heat.

After I rolled, again applied the serum. And probably, I should not even mention how much more effective it is to use serum after the mesoroller! Ingredients penetrate deeper, the action is more visible. If in normal use only 0.3% of useful substances reach their goal, then after the mesoroller this figure changes to 87%. Awesome!

Redness of the skin vanish in 40 minutes, but still perform the procedure better at night. Especially when first used or if the skin is sensitive. And in general, no one canceled the individual reaction. So be careful.

The next day the skin feels dryer so just apply your moisuriser. I am using it once in 3-4 days for already a year with some breaks. (Yes, a lot of time but it worth it!)

It's recommended to use it from the middle of the autumn till the spring when the sun is not that active. And dont forget about SPF!!!

I was afraid of buying the cheapest one on ebay so found the one that was fun to use because of the colors and it looked a better quality to me. Found it here https://gentle-skincare.com/

Hope my review was informative for you! I'm very pleased with the results so just wanted to share it with you!

on 8/2/2017 8:33:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I ordered my derma rollers from amazon. I'm a 17 year old black girl but with a caramel skin tone I was quite sceptical about using a derma roller cause I didn't know if it would be good for black people but cause I'm of a lighter skin tone I thought it wouldn't be so bad.

I ordered a 0.5mm by accident when I really wanted a 1mm and then ordered that one so I have two derma rollers but I use both of them every 2 weeks and have done it 3 times. I have pigmentation in my smile lines which I used to be insecure about for years I tried chemical peels but light ones and even tried to scrub my skin hard with s tooth brush to force it to peel about 2 years ago which made my smile lines even worse.the first two times I derma rolled i never done it it properly till the third time and it has literally been 4 days since I derma rolled and the pigmentation in my smile lines have basically gone except in the left one there's a little bit but it's 80% gone now I used vitamin c oil and sun screen and have not left the house in 4days since I last dema rolled.

When I derma roll I pull my skin and roll until I see I have made enough holes. Usually a bit of blood will come out and that's how I know the derma roll went in and then my skin turns red as well. The second day there were tiny scabs on the areas where the needle went in and on day 3 some came off but then I kinda picked some off which was probably not a good idea it's now been day 4 and majority of my skin has turned to the skin colour I wanted and is no longer dark anymore . Staying in the house will prevent your areas from darkening so your skin can actually turn the right colour also vitamin c helps brighten and speed the process of your skin recovering quicker but do take in mind I'm young so my skin will recover from things a lot quicker then someone who is say 27 or 40 .

I am so happy I now don't have to cover them with concealer or worry about trying to hide it under my foundation which was always so hard because I would have to go to the extreme to hide the discolouration which would make my make up routine longer 'My skin overall is pretty clear except I wanna get rid of the pigmentation on my chin and then I will focus on my neck because derma rolling my whole face is very time consuming and does hurt tbh my face always felt sore after doing an area so I jusf decided to focus on my smile lines first and every two weeks focus on a new area till my face is how i like it .

I always thought I would be stuck with the horrible pigmentation and now it's all gone the derma roller has literally saved my life's. I used the 1mm on my smile lines or darker areas of my skin and the 0.5 on my forehead or areas where I don't really need to use the derma roller btw.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Okay so this is one of those products that definitely isn't for everyone, and from comments I've seen online it seems pretty divisive, I guess because of how extreme it is. I'd personally say only use it as a last resort, for example if you have acne scarring; particularly the pitted kind. I wouldn't use it myself for anti-aging or if you already have flawless or near flawless skin. It's not that it's horribly risky, but there is of course SOME degree of risk involved when using needles on your skin so proceed with caution and do your research first.

I had small boxcar and rolling acne scars on both cheeks, which were mildly pitted. Foundation didn't cover them, so with nothing to lose I figured I'd fork over $60 for a dermaroller. As of this review I've been micro needling for 2 years (2015 and 16) and it's been an interesting experience, one of the most brutal yet effective beauty tools I've ever used.

I bought my roller from Dermacare Direct after hearing from friends who bought one there. It's lightweight with a clear plastic handle and teal blue head with titanium needles, and came with a sterilizing solution, plastic case and instructions. I read online that a 0.5mm is best to start off with, so that's what I got. I washed my face with gentle soap and some water (don't start out with irritated skin and do not needle open cuts, sores or acne; this is very important). I then put my hair back off my face and sterilized the roller, before rinsing it with hot water and letting it cool.

I then used the roller over my cheeks, pulling the skin taut with my fingers and moving the roller back and forth firmly. I think the thing that freaks a lot of people out about this device is the fact that, to use it *properly* (the way it was intended), there is usually a minor amount of blood drawn, which you can just wipe off with a clean damp washcloth as you go along. The roller works by piercing the skins epidermal and dermal layers; the needles breaking up old scar tissue, the longer the needles the deeper they pierce (though I don't advise going bigger than 1.0mm, even for very pitted skin). The skin then treats the piercings like an injury, and sends new collagen to repair them thus filling in the acne scars. You may hear a faint popping sound as you roll, which can be trippy. I don't like it so I listen to music.

I won't lie, this hurts A LOT imo and if you can get yourself some topical numbing cream, do so. Unfortunately it's hard to get a hold of where I currently live. It feels like what it is: being stabbed with lots of tiny needles. The pain is worth it, however, as I personally did see results. After rolling your skin should look pink and feel tender (like mild sunburn), which will last for around 2 or 3 days before peeling/flaking off.

I leave six weeks in between sessions as the skin needs time to repair itself; apparently the older you are the longer you need to wait, i.e. a twenty one year old may need 6 weeks but a 31 year old may need 9. After the first 3 or 5 rollings my scars began to fill in a little. I kept going every 6 weeks and now, 2 years on, they are all but filled in. A doctor told me when I was 15 that I'd be 'scarred for life' thanks to acne, and it feels awesome to say I have proved her wrong.

So, overall, the dermaroller DOES work, at least on acne scarred skin. It takes time and dedication, pain tolerance and good hygiene to see the results; it is not an insta fix. If you're going to use it, first ask yourself whether your skin is 'bad' enough as this is a drastic measure. Make sure you buy the correct length of roller, preferably a 0.5mm to start out. Sterilize your roller and rinse with hot water before and after using. Buy one that has titanium or stainless steel needles, and preferably a case. I don't personally apply anything after rolling, I just eat almonds for the vitamin E, though if you do apply something it will absorb deeper so its the best time to.

Don't share your roller with anyone, don't use on active acne or if you are taking blood thinning medication, and discontinue use if you have a bad reaction.

on 3/3/2017 7:20:00 PM

PLEASE RESEARCH THE ONE YOU BUY FIRST. some have been known to be too full and do more harm than good. I am starting out with the .25 and so far I like it I have been using everyday with my cream cleanser on or right after toning with whitchhazel. my skin seems to be calmer and less irritated. the scars are definitely fading, with the help of my kinda home fixed toner. if you want to go a bigger size make sure you start our with .25 and after a while maybe buy a .5 (better for collagen production) but anything above that I would leave to a professional. I feel like it is very risky and easier to damage skin. what I did with the toner I bought a full size bottle of toner and added 3-5 drops of lavender (just a hint of the smell) and shook it. lavender oil has been known to help scars fade and calm current blemishes.

Okay so this is one of those products that was about $10 on Amazon that I had to try.
I bought it about 6 months ago after an acne breakout turned into a staph infection that countless trips to the clinic and being told it's nothing, stop picking it, ended leaving round, flat indentations on my cheeks and chin.
You need to do some research on size, I went .05 mm which is middle of the road because I wasn't sure what the manufacturer defined mild to moderate scarring. And there is also titanium, surgical steel to consider which not all of these seem to be made of and then there is cleaning to do before and after of the device. I use rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball and hot water before and after use. I have heard of these getting rusty.
Then how often to use it. Too much and it irritates the skin and actually makes me break out in pimples with clear fluid. Too hard and the redness lasts for a day or two. Not hard enough and it does nothing.
I use it once a week. About 5 rolls back and forth horizontally and 5 vertically.
I decided to use it on an old chicken pox scar that sits in the middle of my forehead like a third eye.
The results? The old chicken pox scar is almost completely gone. What you can still see of it is no longer perfectly round but starting to fill in.
The other scarring is also starting to fill in albeit much more slowly. But it does work. This is one of those long term treatments.
I would repurchase but am considering the longer needles for the deeper scars.

on 2/10/2017 9:55:00 AM

Amazing results! I love this tool!!!! Must buy!
I didn't expect it to give me such wonderful results. I bought a cheap copy on eBay for about 5-10 dollars. I honestly think it is not worth getting a brand derma roller. Although I don't own the original, I think the one I bought on eBay is just as good. I started off with the 0.5mm size but I feel it wasn't doing much for my skin. I needed something more...so I bought the 1.0mm. It really depends on your skin though. Although the 0.5mm didn't do much for me, it could do wonders for someone else with my sensitive skin. But, I do recommend that everyone start off with the 0.5mm, which is the smallest size. So you skin can get use to it. My skin just got use to it really fast, so I went up to the 1.0mm. To see results, you need to use it continuously. I got lazy and stoped using it but when I was using it. My skin has never looked so good! EVER! Usually skin products do nothing for me, I feel like majority of skin care is not potent enough for my skin. Usually manual skin related products work well for me so I was really interested in the derma roller. So glad I decided to try it out!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

This is good for smoothing out the overall skin and for acne marks. I just started not too long ago so I can't say it's a life changing product, but I feel like my skin has gotten thicker and fuller with collagen after using this. Make sure to put it in rubbing alcohol to disinfect before using it. And then do it again after you use it! I suggest you use it a few times (10 times max) and then move onto a new one. Amazon has cheap ones that you can get often rather than spending a lot on one

Use a vitamin C after this, as your skin will repair much better with a vitamin C serum

Popular Misc Beauty Tools