Egg Bomb

3.4

Price: $

Price: $

Egg, olive oil, honey
Whisk together 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 teaspoon honey. In a separate bowl, beat the yolk of one egg. Mix the oil/honey emulsion with the egg and saturate your hair. (double recipe for longer hair) Leave in for 30min, shampoo and condition as usual

on 9/12/2013 9:40:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Don't do it, it's not worth it.

Seriously.

Ugh, where do I start.. well.. I am a big fan of DIY natural remedies. So I looked around the internet for a mask that would help shine up my dull hair.(I am a natural brunette with thin kind of normalish hair)Found this and so I went into the kitchen and whipped up 2 eggs, with 2 tbsp of olive oil, and some water. Went into the bathroom and applied the mixture, and man did it make a mess! Possibly the messiest thing I have ever done to my hair! So I wrapped it up this way and that and covered it(and it still managed to ooze all over me) and man did I feel disgusting!
Anyway on to the rinse, after 30 minutes I decided I'd had enough and hopped in the shower. I had seen online when reading about this mask that you shouldn't rinse your hair with hot water because it might cook the egg while on your head.(FABULOUS) Well I wasn't going to take any chances so I decided to take a cold shower.(AHH) Well, cold or not, the water didn't seem to matter..the egg somehow managed to cook anyway. So then there were bundles of little egg bits tangled all in my hair. In fact my hair was a tangled mess, the most tangled it has ever been, and felt totally dry, brittle, and unhealthy.(Like I had just bleached my hair or something!) Needless to say this is where I started to hyperventilate.. freaked out and shampooed and conditioned thoroughly...er... a few times. Then I hopped out the shower totally destitute, my hair still felt like the most disgusting straw ever, and hair was breaking off everywhere. I was in tears. I decided at this point to suck it up and survey the damage, so i combed my hair out(which took almost 30 minutes because it was so tangled) sprayed on some heat protecting spray and went to town with the blow dryer...

Well, it turned out my hair isn't ruined. Maybe a bit dryer than it was before, but not utterly ruined as I feared. In fact, it actually did look better than before, more shiny... but not by much. Also my hair still feels rather straw-like, dry, and smells faintly of eggs.

In conclusion, I Lauren of the internet hereby solemnly pledge to NEVER use eggs on my hair again.

on 11/26/2012 3:14:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I was thinking of buying one of the expensive protein treatments, but I've been reading all the positive reviews in here and I thought I'd give the egg bomb a try. I have dark auburn, long, wavy hair which is in need of some serious TLC, since I have been coloring it and usually wearing it straight for the past 10 years, leaving me with some seriously brittle ends. I doubled the recipe and it came out a nice, creamy mixture which wasn't runny. My egg bomb didn't smell like egg at all, probably because I used top quality olive oil and thyme honey, which smells wonderful and actually gave the mask a subttle thyme scent - the perk of living in Greece is you can get top quality natural products like honey, oil and eggs at ridiculous prices. Anyway, I left it on my hair for about an hour, then rinsed it with lukewarm water, shampooed and conditioned as usual. The result : Incredibly glossy, full and soft hair! I can even run my fingers through it and don't feel it break anymore. . I will not claim that this mask can cure your split ends and breakages because it can't (only a good trim can!) but if you want to avoid having your hair cut and still want it to look and feel its best, the egg bomb is the way to go.

on 6/14/2012 2:55:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I tried this yesterday for the first time. The ends of my hair I noticed are getting a little dry. I do straightened maybe once a week so the damage is from that. I have to say that it did make my hair feel softer. I noticed the difference more in the upper half of my hair but overall my hair did feel softer.

It was a little messy and difficult to apply. Wrapped my hair in a plastic bag for an hour since I didnt have a shower cap. Will probably continue this once a week.

on 10/28/2010 8:21:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

followed the original recipe + extra honey for hold, that did 1/3 of my hair (the ends) as mine is nearly to my waist but enough for what i needed it for (dryness and heat damage)
kept it in for 20 minutes and rinse with cold water, shampoo twice to get it all out + one more just so i felt it was really clean + condition. i noticed the real difference after i had finished blowdrying; this isn't "wow" factor, but definitely left my hair feeling softer, smoother and a bit shinier. so before i find my HG hair treatment, this will be my new go-to XD please do try it at least once, the results are quite pleasing and it is easy-to-make from readily available ingredients (so cheap as well) which is always a bonus. highly recommend.

on 5/18/2010 12:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I was very hesitant to try this, but I had all the ingredients in my kitchen and decided what the heck. I mixed it up, applied to my slightly damp hair and let it sit for a hour. I could have left it in more but had no time. I then washed and conditioned as usual using tepid water and let my hair air-dry. My hair was very soft and less frizzy. I could see a visible difference in shine as well. I look forward to playing around with the ingredients to see what would work even better for me, but this was worth a shot and is cheap and easy to make.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I tried the egg bomb on my hair once and the banana one also, i dont remember where i read that it was good to moisture your hair!! (The BANANA was the worst thing ive doned to my hair!!! I smashed and then i applied it on my hair, but then the banana oxided on my head!! It was so difficult to get it off, i was in the shower for one hour with a hair brush trying to get the banana out!! It was very stupid thing to do! hahaha But i decided to gave the banana another chance and used it on my face and i liked it!)

Ive used olive oil and it worked great, but i wanted to try it, first the scrambled egg is very liquid and difficult to apply unless you want to damp your hair with the breakfast!! when it dries it gets hard!! Oh my i was very afraid this would ruin my hair, after what it i did with the banana!! hahaha It wasnt so difficult to get it off like the banana, but it was hard since its something that moistures hair!! Those where big mistakes for my hair, i recently used the Queen Helene Cholestherol, with my John Frieda Conditioner and a little olive oil, and this really moistured my hair!!

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This is the worst hair mask I`ve tried on my hair.I am a natural products addict.I use coconut oil, honey, olive oil everyday as face make up remover.So I know how good they are for the skin...but for my hair, this mask did nothing but dried my hair out. I have to admit I have very dry hair, it`s over processed, so maybe this isn`t strong enough for me.But for brunette girls with ..."normal" not so damaged hair it might be good, so try it out, you have nothing to lose.

on 8/6/2009 6:56:00 PM

Haha, yes I will "buy" again :D
I have box-colored blond hair, that still has some breakage dots about 1/2" from the ends due to previous excessive flat ironing and blow drying, is thin and although not in horrible shape, still needs lots of TLC. I have tried numerous treatments, expensive 'poos and conditioners (KS) and masks, and although they do work some, I still never felt totally satisfied. So I thought I'd try this recipe after reading raves on this board. I have bra strap long hair, but kinda thin, so the basic amount of ingredients (2 tbsp EVOO, 1 tsp honey and 1 egg yolk) was enough. It did smell like cake batter, and applying it was not as icky as I had expected it to be. The mixture got hard very fast, and after I finished covering my whole head in it, I topped it with some mayo for extra conditioning. Wrapped my head in saran wrap and left it on for about 45 min. Then I washed and conditioned as usual (it washed out pretty easily), put in my Kielh's leave-in, and air dried. I am very happy with the result - my hair felt stronger and softer, and looked shinier and healthier. I can't see most of those breakage dots I was talking about (I'm not saying they got fixed, because that would be impossible, but they are not as obvious). I'm thinking this treatment is definitely able to prevent split ends and dryness, and it can be a huge aid in growing hair long. I am planning on using this concoction weekly, and just invest in good quality shampoo and conditioner from now on, instead of all those expensive treatments that might or might not work.
Oh, and I also talked a coworker into trying this treatment, and today she reported great results and said this will be her only treatment from now on :)

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have very long and thick, coarse, color-treated (double-process/permanent dye, wouldn't you know) hair, and I'm constantly searching for a perfect deep conditioner. Even though, at 37, I"m really pushing serious middle age, I want to recapture the super-soft, shiny brunette of my youth! I usually wash with a shampoo for dry/color-treated hair (I use both drugstore products as well as the high-end/from the hairdresser ones) and use a super-deep conditioner (one of those that you leave on for at least 3 min. before rinsing) and follow up with Aussie's leave-in conditioning mousse and a thermal-protection styling serum. Because I also heat-style (some kind of iron--either flat- or curling-; I know, I know, I'm a bad girl and a glutton for punishment), my hair really takes a beating and it needs all the TLC it can get. A friend told me about this recipe, which she calls "The Egg Bomb." Even though I was quite skeptical of the whole thing, I had to admit that her hair's lovely. She, too, abuses her own long hair, but it's super-soft and shiny. I agreed to "Bomb" my own hair one day when visiting her at her home. Here's the recipe:

Whisk together 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 teaspoon honey (I think I added just a little more). In a seperate bowl, beat the yolk of one egg. Mix the oil/honey emulsion with the egg and saturate your hair. Since I have a lot of long hair (it's nearly to my bra strap), we doubled the recipe--that made the perfect ammount to completely saturate my hair. Leave the whole mixture on for 30 minutes. We wrapped my head in cling wrap (we didn't have a shower cap! I was praying that no unexpected visitors dropped in!) to avoid dripping, but I don't think that this stuff would really drip much, if any. For extra conditioning, my friend says that she occasionally slathers mayonnaise over her hair (on top of the Bomb mixture) for even more conditioning power. After 30 minutes, rinse in cool water; then shampoo and condition as usual.

This left my hair SUPER, SUPER-SOFT, SHINY, and MANAGEABLE!!! I even skipped my mousse and serum--my hair was that good! It hasn't been like this since I was probably 12!!! Despite the stickiness of this stuff, it really was easy to wash out--no scrubbing and scrubbing and scrubbing and negating the moisturizing of the treatment! I have been using L'Oreal's Pro Vive shampoo for dry/color-treated hair and their conditioner for women of color--I probably didn't really need it. I've been Bombing my head once a week/every couple of weeks, and it's never looked or felt better. Even my hairdresser has commented that it's in much better shape. The ingredients are cheap, and everyone probably has them on hand (even I usually do, and I really don't cook!) I recommend this HIGHLY to all!
Bombs away!

***Addendum: Hi all, and thanks to everybody who's messaged me about the Bomb! Since I'm MUA freshman, I'm only allotted 10 messages per day, so I'm not intentionally ignoring/snubbing anyone to whom I haven't yet responded! To answer the questions that several people have asked, 1.) Apply the emulsion to DRY, UNWASHED HAIR! I heard from a lovely lady in Italy who more correctly referred to this as a moisturizing pretreatment rather than a conditioner. 2.) After you've finished treating your hair, you will need to WASH, RATHER THAN RINSE, your hair. This mixture is tenacious, so just rinsing with water wouldn't work. However--paradoxically-- it does wash out easily (no need to break out the Comet!) and really doesn't leave your hair smelling of egg. (I made several people bury their noses in my hair, and they couldn't detect anything offensive. I myself haven't picked up any scent other than my shampoo.) 3.) Don't use the entire egg, just the YOLK. Using both it and the white will make the mixture too runny--my friend who shared the recipe with me says that it just won't work as well and will be, and I quote, "a big, slimey mess!"