Egg Bomb

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
 Egg Bomb

4.2

Egg, olive oil, honey
Whisk together 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 teaspoon honey. In a separate bowl, beat the yolk of one egg. Mix the oil/honey emulsion with the egg and saturate your hair. (double recipe for longer hair) Leave in for 30min, shampoo and condition as usual

on 2/2/2017 7:32:00 PM

I always do egg mask to my curly hair and its moisturizing and almost making my hair tamed. I add some oils like olive oil, almond oil, sesame oil . It is optional but when you add oil the mask is more effective I think

on 9/4/2016 11:12:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

A homemade mask with such a high vote on MUA? I had to try it!
I wanted to try an egg mask for years and now I had the confirmation it's good. Except..it was the messiest mess ever on me.
It was fine until rinsing. It went away smoothly and fast. After shampooing, I realized a half handful of hair fell. REALLY? I didn't see any aesthetic improvement at all and my hair felt like straw until I did conditioner.
The smell was unbearable the whole time and the whole room now smells.Not to mention the bathroom. After shampooing twice, conditioning with a chamomille scented product, doing a macadamia mask and some pump of Revlon's Uniq, I still smell like crazy. It's disgusting. I'd like to put some perfume on hair but I'd like to avoid spraying basically pure alcohol on it.
I'm so sorry tho, I really wanted to like this and was all excited and ready for the experience. But it became a nightmare. I feel sorry for wasting two eggs.

on 8/3/2016 9:36:00 PM

Because I have very dry and damaged color-treated straight hair, I decided to try this mask when I heard about it on MakeupAlley. I used the recipe as directed and was very pleased with the results. It made my hair very silky, shiny, and soft, and repaired the look of my damaged split ends. I would definitely use this diy again. The only thing about it is that it's sticky and messy, and that you should rinse it out in cold water. (You don't want the eggs to cook on your head) Also, remember to only use the yolk - the egg white may make your hair stiff and dry it out. Finally, it may be too strong for people with healthy, non-damaged hair because the egg contains protein.

on 8/8/2015 9:14:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Ι tried the egg bomb for the first time a couple of days ago; mixed a whiped egg yolk with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and one tablespoon of honey. At this point the mix was sticky and smelled like pastry dough.
Applied on thick, curly, dry hair and didin't drip, became hard to the touch almost right away. Left it for an hour and rinsed with cold water which was easier than I expected. Shampooed and used moisturising conditioner. Let air dry.
Other that some extra body I didn't notice any difference, my hair wasn't any softer or more manageable. I'm not impressed but was worth a try.

on 7/17/2014 4:28:00 AM

As I regularly fork out loads for salon treatments in an attempt to salvage my bleached, double processed, flat iron battered hair I was excited to try this out. Having said that I was quite sceptical as I haven't really got much experience in DIY beauty. The mixture I used is as follows:
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoon extra virgin coconut oil
2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

I shampooed and thoroughly towel dried my hair first (didn't use conditioner). Slathered the mixture on, didn't find the smell too offensive and it coated my hair nicely. I wrapped it in cling film and put a shower cap over it. The heat from my head made it drip like crazy, I was forever wiping my neck and face! I think next time I will apply on dry hair to see if that helps with this. I let it sit for 1 hour and then shampooed and conditioned as normal with lukewarm water.

I was initially a bit concerned as it did feel quite straw like as I was rinsing it out. However, once it was shampooed and blow dried....I was AMAZED at the results!! My hair had a gorgeous shine to it (no small feat for bleached hair) and was so soft and lovely to the touch. It was much easier to blow dry and the straighteners just glided through it. There was virtually no frizz.

I have to say this is as good, if not better than the expensive salon treatments I buy. I am so impressed, I will definitely be doing this treatment once a week!

For any of you that did not like this because it made your hair feel dry/like straw or break off, it is simply because you did not beed so much protein in your hair, if any at all. Putting too nuch protein in the hair can make it dry, brittle and can even make it snap right off.

Typically, the only need for an intense protein treatment like this (or any other treatment that calls for pure raw eggs) is if you have bleached your hair or use permanent dyes, especially ones that call for higher volume developers like 30 or 40(eek!). When you mix the bleaching agent (typically a powder) with peroxide (the developer) it creates a chemical iron and copper reaction within the strand and breaks the protein that is in the hair. Coconut oil is extremely beneficial to use prior to bleaching (or using a permanent dye) as it acts as a chelating agent to stop the protein damage caused by the iron + copper chemical reaction, as well as helps replace the protein in the process. Putting it on after is great too. The bleach eats through it so it doesnt effect the lightening process whatsoever.

Anyway, not everyone needs a protein treatment. Even if you do need it, it can still make the hair feel a bit straw like at first, but thats perfectly normal and okay. Just use a hydrating/moisturizing conditioner or treatment aftetwards and that stiffness feeling will be gone.

If you put too much protein in the hair though, use a clarifying shampoo then a hydrating/moisturizing treatment after. Avoid anything else with egg on the hair, like mayonnaise, or any keratin products,or anything that says "reconstructing".

I use one whole egg, 2 Tbsp honey, 2 Tbsp EVOO and one cup of water. Mix well and pour on clean, dry hair. Wrap it in a towel for about 30 min and rinse with cool water. If I'm staying home, I rinse and leave it...If I'm going out, I shampoo and condition. My hair has never felt better! Also, MSM is a great supplement for soft, strong hair and nails. I do the rinse about once every other week as too much protein can be a bad thing (straw head lol)

on 9/26/2013 3:54:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

I, too, am a Lauren of the internet, and wish to disagree with my similarly named comrade below! :P

My hair was being crap. So frizzed out and fussy, that being outside and not having an umbrella handy if it rained was enough to trigger a mini panic attack. No serum or spray could keep it looking nice and lock out humidity. What more did it want? I was using a very gentle shampoo, salon conditioner, and oiling generously with avocado oil. Then I chanced upon this treatment and it hit me all at once: P R O T E I N! How could I have let it slip under my nose like this?

First, I tried this concoction on already shampooed and clarified hair, and used a whole egg instead of just the yolk, following the rest of the directions. The results were stunning. Shine like you wouldn't believe, and my hair needed only a little coaxing with flat iron to get straight (we're talking 5 minutes as opposed to 15). It rained the morning after, and as usual I doused myself in hairspray till I was coughing. It stayed beautifully shiny and smooth all day!

However, applying this way made it drip monstrously, and was much messier. For the next wash, I tried the original recipe on unwashed hair. Much, much easier to apply, and less smelly. I didn't notice as dramatic a difference, but I guess that is to be expected since the first treatment already did so much work. My hair is now shiny, and full of the GOOD kind of volume.. the kind that makes people say 'Wow, her hair is so lush!' versus 'Jeeze, look at all that hair!'. It's more humidity resistant than ever.

Like other reviewers noted, my hair felt a bit dried out after I shampooed it. But a good deep moisture mask is the perfect follow up and sorts things out nicely. This is absolutely a must-try if your routine has been lacking in protein treatments!

EDIT: I must mention, that the second time I used the mask, I indeed had the crunchy feel to my hair. Deep conditioner sorted it out okay, but my hair was still just a little poofier and more strawlike than I would have liked. The first treatment was that powerful by itself!

It seems to me that whether you love it or hate it depends completely upon whether or not your hair needs the protein. At any rate, a deep conditioner after this is a MUST!

on 9/12/2013 9:40:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Don't do it, it's not worth it.

Seriously.

Ugh, where do I start.. well.. I am a big fan of DIY natural remedies. So I looked around the internet for a mask that would help shine up my dull hair.(I am a natural brunette with thin kind of normalish hair)Found this and so I went into the kitchen and whipped up 2 eggs, with 2 tbsp of olive oil, and some water. Went into the bathroom and applied the mixture, and man did it make a mess! Possibly the messiest thing I have ever done to my hair! So I wrapped it up this way and that and covered it(and it still managed to ooze all over me) and man did I feel disgusting!
Anyway on to the rinse, after 30 minutes I decided I'd had enough and hopped in the shower. I had seen online when reading about this mask that you shouldn't rinse your hair with hot water because it might cook the egg while on your head.(FABULOUS) Well I wasn't going to take any chances so I decided to take a cold shower.(AHH) Well, cold or not, the water didn't seem to matter..the egg somehow managed to cook anyway. So then there were bundles of little egg bits tangled all in my hair. In fact my hair was a tangled mess, the most tangled it has ever been, and felt totally dry, brittle, and unhealthy.(Like I had just bleached my hair or something!) Needless to say this is where I started to hyperventilate.. freaked out and shampooed and conditioned thoroughly...er... a few times. Then I hopped out the shower totally destitute, my hair still felt like the most disgusting straw ever, and hair was breaking off everywhere. I was in tears. I decided at this point to suck it up and survey the damage, so i combed my hair out(which took almost 30 minutes because it was so tangled) sprayed on some heat protecting spray and went to town with the blow dryer...

Well, it turned out my hair isn't ruined. Maybe a bit dryer than it was before, but not utterly ruined as I feared. In fact, it actually did look better than before, more shiny... but not by much. Also my hair still feels rather straw-like, dry, and smells faintly of eggs.

In conclusion, I Lauren of the internet hereby solemnly pledge to NEVER use eggs on my hair again.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I've decided that eggs and my hair simply don't agree. I've tried this in many different combinations, with coconut oil, olive oil, honey, you name it. I always end up with greasy, stiff eggy smelling hair(this is after shampoo and conditioner) I have other natural masks that I use that work much better than this.