Authentic African Black Soap-Product of West Africa

I recently ordered authentic african black soap from a company called Incredible by Nature and I'm blown away by the results. I use to swear by Shea Moisture but this soap is way better. It's not black it's actually brown and has a earthy smell. It stung at first and after researching this soap I found its a normal reaction at first, it doesn't sting anymore. It can be a little drying at first too. The first thing I noticed was my pores were shrinking, no other product has done this. This soap helps with acne and scarring, it's amazing.

Edit 5/17/16
I had to stop using this soap because it's so drying and my face is breaking out terribly.

on 10/19/2015 2:49:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I used this stuff on my face for years. I never had really bad issues, except my skin was always really oily. Now, this is why I used it, I heard it was good for combination and oily skin. However, after using it my skin would get really tight and then start to get oily, even without makeup. When I wore makeup, my face was an oil slick after only a few hours. At first I thought it was my makeup or maybe my skin was naturally this way, or maybe I was dehydrated but after going through a really bad break out I decided to change my face products. After switching over to CeraVe foaming cleanser, I realize the black soap was drying my skin out so I became super oily. After I stopped using black soap on my face, my skin is more balanced and I am so much less oily. I still use black soap on my body, because I like all natural cleansers, but I will never use it on my face again. It's too harsh for my skin. I'll also add, I never really noticed any benefits when it came to lightening spots or discoloration. I now think my skin naturally fades by itself over time and I don't think the ABS really helped with that.

To Read all 36 Reviews, Login or Join

on 10/3/2015 2:30:00 PM

i read a lot of good stuff about african black soap, and what appealed to me the most is that it's very natural and not full of chemicals that i can't pronounce, so i really wanted it to work, but holy mother of pearl! I used it as a face wash and i had to stop using it because it gave me the worst cystic acne i've ever experienced, and I don't ever have outbreaks like that. i literally can't use this stuff! i stopped using it about a week ago and my angry acne is going away and i've not gotten any new zits *exhale* the packaging is great in that it's VERY efficient- it came wrapped in saran wrap inside of a zip lock baggie. i hate how overused plastic bottles for face wash have become. not eco-friendly! but this stuff was- and I like that it supports local communities in west africa and african immigrants here. and in all fairness, my boyfriend, who is kind of a grungy dude, loves this stuff. he says it makes him feel clean without leaving any left over residue or feeling like he just used soap with a bunch of chems that leave him dried out. so it makes me so sad that my skin just does not get along with stuff! but to each her own, you might love this stuff.

Amazing product! Really helps clean skin and remove oils, but does not dry your skin out.

My tub fell in the shower and shattered :(

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Love how its a natural cleanser. Skin is literally squeeky clean. Cleared up my acne.

on 1/6/2015 11:32:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

My review is for genuine cut off the block African soap.

Being acne prone African Soap is kind of a buzzword. Many people rave they've transformed once angry skin into a happy pimple free canvas with use.

I will say I love how nice and soft the soap left my skin after washing. Very unexpected from anything with "soap" in the name. As for the claims of evening skin tone, anti-aging, helping with acne I noticed no real, tangible benefits after use for 3+ months.

The bad is that African black soap sure can make some people's skin purge. I started re-using not too long ago and now one side of my face is quite angry and I'm wondering if maybe that's the cause. The purge did go away after a while, but it was quite a while and so long(3+ weeks) that I wondered if it was irritating my skin. When I reduced the usage from every other day to twice a week max my skin seemed much better to tolerate use of soap.

Beyond leaving my skin soft, my skin is about the same. Didn't seem to help prevent acne or even make it heal any faster so this product is a one and done for me.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

So far, I'm really loving this stuff. I bought the authentic soap from ghana in 1 pound. I break off small parts and use those rather than the whole bar. At first my skin kind of tingled, nothing too terrible. I had read about a dreaded purging period and yikes-it was down right ugly for about a week. The first monstrosity of a break out I had happened about 3-4 days after I started using it and it was not pretty. It was down right god-awful. But I persevered, kept on using it, and I am so glad I did.
My skin is softer, the tone more even. The oil production is SO MUCH BETTER. When I say my skin is oily, I mean my face is an oil slick by noon usually. With this soap the pores on my nose are smaller, the oil production across my nose/cheeks/forehead isn't nearly as bad as it used to be.
I have been using this for about a month total. My skin feels clean, but not tight/stripped after I wash. I follow washing with grape seed oil & vitamin E. Store this in a slotted soap dish if you can, the soap gets softer and gooey the longer it is wet. I don't think that affects the function of it, but that is also why it is a good idea to break off the smaller parts of the bar if that is the kind you are using.

on 1/22/2014 12:12:00 PM

The other day I met up with my friend and her skin looked flawless and I was curious as to what makeup she was using. She told me she wasn't wearing any foundation just concealers on certain spots. She told me about this African Black Fog Soap and how well it worked for her and I was intrigued and decided to buy one for myself to give it a try.

My friend told me she bought the black soap bar from enchantedwaters on ebay and I purchased mines there (it's the black bar not the raw afraican soap).

When I received it, I gave it a try and I was advised by my friend to use it once daily and use a very good non fragrance moisturizer with it. I took her advice and used it as my nightly routine. I would use a cotton pad to removed my makeup with bioderma micelle water and then use this soap bar. I then put coconut oil or argan oil on top as my moisturizer (my friend has oily skin and she says coconut oil doesn't make her greasy or oily).

The next morning, I looked at my skin and the two pimples that was near my chin area diminished and my skin looked balanced, not oily or dry...as well, my skin looked healthy and soft like baby skin. Normally my skin gets red and irritated (i've very sensitive skin) but this soap bar diminished my redness that I have. I feel like i don't need to put a full coverage foundation anymore and can finally use a light coverage foundation or even leave the house without makeup and just a bit of concealer! I have tried high end to drugstore skincare and it's all a gimmick. I am impressed! I also did more research and saw Dr.Oz featured African Black Soap on his show.

The information can be found here at http://multiculturalbeauty.about.com/od/Skincare/fl/8-Top-Skin-Care-Benefits-of-African-Black-Soap.htm.

This is what it says on the website:

1. Protects Against Photo Aging

Antioxidants in black soap protect the skin from free radical damage, which is a cause of premature skin aging, wrinkles and facial lines.

2. Improves Skin Tone

Black soap firms and tones skin and improves skin texture, for more supple and glowing skin.

3. Fades Skin Discolorations

Black soap helps even out and fade brown spots and discolorations.

4. Reduces Inflammation and Skin Irritations

Black soap helps reduce inflammation and skin irritations. It is soothing on dry and irritated skin, relieving dry patches, rashes and red areas.

5. Helps to Heal Problem Skin

It eases the symptoms of skin conditions like acne. Users have said that black soap helps lessen, treat and clear acne, gets rid of blackheads, psoriasis and eczema.

6. Has Deep Cleansing Action

Black soap has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties and is great for deep pore cleansing. It also is effective at removing makeup because of the oils and butters.

7. It Alleviates Razor Bumps

It is often used by men during shaving because of the high shea butter content, which protects the skin.

8. It's an Effective Exfoliant

The ashes in black soap provide exfoliating properties to remove dead skin cells and thereby improve fine lines, soften and rejuvenate rough skin.

How to Buy African Black Soap

More about the common ingredients in black soap:

Plantain skins and leaves have a high concentration of iron and vitamins A and E. Vitamin E helps with tissue structure, is healing and helps moisturize the skin improving texture and tone. Vitamin A benefits collagen production. Allantoin in the leaves of plantain stimulates the growth of new skin cells.

Cocoa powder softens and firms the skin and has antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties to fight against free radicals, repair damaged skin and renew skin cells.

Cocoa butter is a natural fat extracted from the cacao bean. It’s been used for years as a moisturizer. It has vitamins A and E to fight against environmental damage and therefore the signs of aging. It helps the skin retain moisture and improves elasticity. Cocoa butter is also said to improve the appearance of stretch marks. It has also been used to ease skin conditions like rashes, eczema and psoriasis.

Shea butter (karite butter) made from the nuts of the karite tree, also has vitamins A and E to strengthen skin and repairs damage. It has been used to heal burns, sores and scars, and to treat psoriasis, eczema, and dermatitis. It helps promote cell renewal and diminish appearance of wrinkles. It is also a good for treatment of acne scars because it is non-comedogenic and has anti-microbial properties.

Shea Butter: What It Is, Why It Works

Palm oil is rich in antioxidants and two forms of vitamin E tocopherol and tocotrienol, which is useful in the treatment of acne and eczema and reduces cell damaged caused by environmental toxins and free radicals.

Palm kernel oil is extracted from the fruit seeds of the African palm tree. It is high in lauric acid giving it anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.

Coconut oil The fatty acids in coconut oil work to reinforce the skin’s lipid barrier and lock in moisture. Coconut oil is also helpful for repairing skin damage, dry skin and eczema, and to reduce the appearance of wrinkles. It has cleansing and antibacterial properties, which makes it useful for removing grime and makeup, and when combined with other ingredients works as a natural deodorant.

http://www.agbangakarite.com is where I buy mine. It is by far the best soap I have ever used on my body. Totally economical and practical. I'm all about it.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This stuff is the bomb diggity! Normalized my crazy oily skin within a month of use, minimized break outs, took off ALLLLL my make up. My skin was going BANANAS after about 6 months of using Purity Made Simple (skin loved it in the beginning.. can't say it did anymore after purchasing a second bottle) and after trying literally everything (cerave, ceraphil, you name it), turned to this after a friends recommendation. $2 at my local BSO in Toronto. I was skeptical. Like what the heck am I really putting on my face? But I figured what can I really lose, I'd tried so much that I was willing to do whatever to get my velvet skin back. First time using, my eyes BURNED. fast forward a month, skin is A1. ALMOST back to my original texture, I am ecstatic and want to buy stock in this haha. This with the aid of which hazel and Fresh seaberry oil have done wonders for repairing my skin. When I need an exfoliant, I just sud this up in my palm and add a little bit of brown sugar. Awesome. Absolutely grateful that I came across this.