Moroccanoil Morrocan Oil Treatment

Moroccanoil Morrocan Oil Treatment
Morrocan Oil TreatmentMorrocan Oil Treatment

4.1

Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil (Argan Oil), Parfum (Fragrance), Linseed (Linum Usitatissimum) Extract, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Benzyl Benzoate, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, CI 26100 (Red 17), CI 47000 (Yellow 11).

on 8/10/2017 4:12:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Back when I first was learning to really style my hair properly, so I could try and get those salon-like results I paid big bucks for and loved, this was one of my HG's. Now I'm working through my final bottle, using it very infrequently and trying to use it up instead of wasting it. I've got a third of a 0.85 FL OZ bottle left to go, and it'll probably take me a while to use it up.

It's a product that I now use if I need some quick shine, or I might work a little bit in if I have a limited amount of time to dry and style my hair. Basically, it's kind of a bandaid and quick fix.

This product does coat your hair with silicone (the first two ingredients are cyclomethicone and dimethicone), which is nothing shocking. I never read the labels back then, so I always assumed that a product named Moroccan oil was...oil. This lead me down the path of discovery to clarifying shampoos, which I honestly knew nothing about, what they did, or why they were needed. This wasn't really a problem, just a change from how I'd cared for my hair as a teen who didn't give a crap about anything. I got decent results. My hair was smooth, shiney, straight, and didn't feel dry. That was a win!

I stopped using this maybe 4 years back, when curly girl was becoming a big thing and silicones and sulfates were evil. I have curly/wavy hair, so I stopped using this and other products with silicones, tried the sulfate free approach, and attempted the curly girl route for a bit, but never had much luck. Actually, some days I looked a complete mess; some days were bad, BAD hair days. I'm back to silicones now. My hair just looks and feels better. As long as I balance clarifying washes, hair masks, heat, and scalp care, I'm in good shape.

I never went back to this product. Not like before. Like I mentioned above, I use it on occassion and am trying to use up the bottle, but that is it. I wouldn't recommend it. Looking back, the results I got were pretty limp and deflated looking. I have a lot of hair, but extreme straightening and weighing it down with a product like this wasn't the best look for me.

It's very heavy. You can see and feel that in your hair, but also when you've just got some product in your hands. I never was able to balance getting just enough but not getting too much of this product. I think that is the real key here. It's far too easy to use too much, which means more clarifying, more drying, more masks to compensate, etc. I've found better silicone containing products to use if I want to smooth my hair cuticules a bit.

Now to the other stuff: The bottle is fine, but can get very slippery if the product leaks. I had that happen once, my hands and the bottle were so slippery I didn't get the cap on all the way and I lost 70% or what was in the bottle. I literally cried. It seemed like liquid gold at the time, and I was a college kid, making subminimum wage and was having to pay things like bills for the first time in life. I want to say I spent over $30 on it at the time, but it looks like now the same sized bottle runs about $15. Now that I think about it, that's probably why I'm still trying to use up less than 0.25 FL OZ of it.

The smell is fine. I'm bad at describing smells, so I won't try beyond saying it smells a little sweet without being overly so.

So overall:
It's okay. It will smooth and tame frizz, give some shine and speed up drying time, but there are so many better options out there that I say skip it. I'm really torn between 3 and 4 lippies here. I'll go 4 because really YMMV.

on 6/26/2017 9:27:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

As a person with natural spiral curly/ringlet hair I can say that this is the BEST product out there to control dry frizzy hair! It NEVER makes my hair look greasy or dirty, NEVER. It gives my hair intense shine, lustre, keeps curl intact controlling frizzies and feels sooo soft. As a person who struggles with dry frizzies I have never seen a hair product address these issues more than Moroccan Oil. It is my holy grail of hair products. Yes it is pricey but you only need small amount [less than a capful or a cpl squirts is enough for my medium length hair when wet] per use therefore it lasts a long long time. It does have a strong scent (which I do like very much) but can be intense for those who are scentsitive. It doesn't leave my hands feeling slick after application. I just love this product, been using it for years and plan to use it for many more. *fingers crossed* the formulation never changes. Strongly recommended, it is an exceptional hair product for those who struggle with dry curly hair. Will always repurchase this product...a staple in my hair arsenal.

on 6/1/2017 2:47:00 PM

Moroccanoil is an okay silicone serum- adds manageability, tames frizz, provides heat protection. But it's nothing special and there are SO many similar products out there. I use this by adding a small amount to my damp hair before blow-drying.

Definitely not a horrible product, but it's not amazing either. I much prefer L'anza Keratin Healing Oil. I would also recommend Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum or Garnier Sleek and Shine over this. All of which are cheaper products, by the way. Moroccanoil is $34 for a 1.7oz bottle! I'm sorry but that is insane. For that amount of money I expect a bona fide miracle in a bottle, and this is not.

For reference I have thick wavy-texture color-treated hair that I heat-style regularly. I'm always looking for good leave-in products, but based on the price I'm going to pass on this one.

Wouldn't buy it again.

on 5/10/2017 7:02:00 AM

The reason this works unlike any others is the color. The slight Amber color is what makes blondes blonder and dark hair glossy also. You won't get the results from a clear product. It's science, nothing more. Also if your hair is greasy use 1/2 of what you used and it won't be. It's the perfect hair product.

I have veery dry hair so my Aunt bought this for me. She buys me a lot of oils to try and help with my hair. It smells lovely (Very sweet and a bit coconut-like) and it really helps with dry hair. I do get a little bit of headache from the strong smell because I am sensitive to smells though.

on 1/29/2017 4:02:00 AM

I really enjoy this oil and the smell of it ! I use it before blowdrying and sometimes after, it adds moisture to the hair and make it more manageable. My hair feels and smells amazing after using this. The price is good because it lasts a really long time, I have the 25ml size and it lasts 1 year and a half as long as I use it everytime I style my hair.

on 1/10/2017 2:03:00 PM

Contains mostly silicones and a tiny tiny amount of argan oil. Silicones in such a high concentration just makes my hair look dirty. And It doesnt repair or help the hair in anyway. Go for a pure argan oil or macadamia oil if you want something that will repair and care for your hair.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

My usual oil for me and my hair is the Macadamia oil. I got a deluxe sized sample of the Moroccan oil and was actactually kind of excited.

Other than smelling nice, theres really not much to say. It did nothing that wowed me. It just made my ends shiny.

I tried applying to damp hair, but that was a fail as it was just a waste of product. The best use for me is: on nights out that i wear my hair straight, I'll throw it in my bag for touch ups.

on 12/31/2016 11:54:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I have a love and hate relationship with this product. I have super dry,super frizzy,fine and thin hair. I have tried several products in the market to tame my frizziness and give life to my dull and dry hair. I find that this works on my dry hair better than the wet hair. I noticed there was no difference when applied on wet hair. I really want to love this product so much since it is so expensive and the hype is unbelievable but for me the effect isnt enough. Applied alone on my hair and it didnt tame my frizziness nor moisturized my super dry hair. What i actually did to make this work is to put on phytodefrissant on my wet hair (to tame the frizz) then put this on my dry hair. It gave shine thats why i keep on using it. I also find that i need a lot of this to make it work. Some says they only put a small amount but i put on a lot. I love the smell of this thats why i prefer this than the coconut oil. I would keep using this while looking for a better hair product.

on 12/29/2016 11:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

As a 53 yr old product junkie, with thick wavy/curly color treated hair, I have tried just about every product out there, from low end to high end. The original Moroccan oil makes my hair sleek and shiny. No other product in my arsenal adds as much shine to my hair as this one. Now I will admit to a learning curve, the first few times I used it, I used way too much. Instead of sleek shiny hair, it was limp and almost oily, which for my hair is hard to achieve. My hair doesn't usually get oily, limp maybe if I don't wash it for 3 or 4 days, but not oily, now I will also say after a couple of hours my hair absorbed it all, but it still wasn't the style I was going for. So after I adjusted the amount used, I did achieve beautiful, sleek, shiny hair. Right now I have the 3.4 ounce bottle with a pump, for my just past shoulder length hair, 1 pump is enough, it doesn't take a lot. The cost of the bottle was about $50 with tax where I live. Because it doesn't take much, I don't consider it to be horrifically expensive, it will probably last me at least 10 to 12 months, maybe longer since I don't wash my hair everyday. I have had to laugh at some other reviews, years ago I tried straight olive oil on my hair after reading how wonderful it was and how sleek and silky it made hair. Big mistake, I cannot express that enough, I thought I was never going to get it out of my hair. I thought I might have to use Dawn, like one of the poor animals after an oil spill. Since then I have avoided using any oil that is not in a serum, even Argan oil, which I have, but use it to mix in with other products. I also admit to using mostly high end products because in my opinion, they generally work better on me. My skin, even at my age, breaks out in cystic acne if a product looks at it wrong. For someone with fine hair, this product is probably not for you, but if you have coarse, dry, damaged color treated hair, think about trying it. I hope this review helps someone thinking about trying this product.