MAC Cosmetics Studio Face and Body Foundation

MAC Cosmetics Studio Face and Body Foundation

I wanted soooo bad to love this product..the texture...the coverage...everything I was looking for. Even the fact that it is water proof and long wearing was what I was looking for. I have combination skin where it gets dehydrated daily and oily as the day continues. I got this thinking it would prevent my skin from getting dehydrated and as long as I used a good setting powder, then it would be a perfect match. Well, it looked great on my skin...even with my old acne scars and texture...but...after wearing it to work 1 day...I double cleansed my face and HOLY SHIT WHAT IN THE HECK?!!! I got cystic acne spots all over my face!!! I haven't had cystic acne in almost a year!!! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! One on my upper lip, another on my forevhead, one on my chin, and 2 forming on my cheek...Jesus lawd!!! NO!!! I about threw that devil liquid through the wall! The mistake I made was not doing my research 1st. I usually always go to CosDNA.com and look up the foundations of interest and as long as they score 4 or below on the acne causing ingredients, then I can wear this foundation...this foundation had a high score of 11...11!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH never again...back to my search for finding a truly hydrating foundation that wont break me out :(

UPDATE: I think the cystic acne causing ingredient is: Polyglyceryl-3-Diisostearate

go to cosDNA.com and if check your foundation to see if it has that ingredient if youre struggling with cystic acne flair ups when u try new foundations.

on 1/17/2018 7:46:00 PM

I tried this because it seemed to be the most recommended foundation for people whose skin "flakes up" as soon as liquid foundation touches it.
It in fact is better in that regard than anything I can remember trying. I think that's connected to its sheerness/translucence. It has less powder (titanium dioxide specifically I guess) making it quite translucent, but also "cling" less to dry skin.
It might also have something to do with it being "water-based", i.e. having more water than silicone or oil/esters. Silicone-based primers and foundations do sometimes seem to flake up more on me. (Note however that the second ingredient after water is dimethicone - it's not silicone free by any means.)

The sheerness makes it easy to blend and fade out nicely, and also means I almost get away with N1 actually being too dark and somewhat too yellow for me. (*Almost* as in, I was doing only my face this way for a week until I encountered a full body mirror in daylight at work, and realized my neck was looking awfully white...)

The sheerness also means I use a LOT of it to even out/cover redness on nose, and that pimples and such aren't covered in the least.
Another reason I use a lot because it sets crazy fast. I'll squirt out a few drops, on, say, my left cheekbone and start blending, and it might set before I've covered the whole left undereye area. It's hard to tell, but I feel like I must use at least 4X my usual amount of foundation, just to actually get everything covered somewhat evenly. If the color matched my skin better I'd probably use a lot less though. I'm experimenting with Nyx white foundation mixer, but it's tricky for so many reasons - I really recommend against it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I yet to meet a MAC foundation that didn't mess up my skin.
For the reference, I have a sensitive normal slightly dehydrated skin with dry patches on cheeks and forehead.

Pros:
- the foundation is very lightweight and looks like skin once applied;
- the best application technique is using the fingers (I love using fingers);
- looks radiant but not greasy upon application, didn't become greasy through the day;
- I don't need to mix two shades to get a perfect match, N3 fits me perfectly.

Cons:
- the lasting power is meh. Stays good for 5 hours and rapidly starts to wear off afterward;
- settling into fine lines as the day goes and moving around, mostly on my dry patches! I never experienced a foundation moving on dry parts of my skin;
- separates and becomes powdery even if I do not set it with powder and even if I only have one thin layer;
- gives me red rashes, not pimples, but a red irritated eczema-like skin.

Overall, I don't get the hype, and from my experience, I have no idea which skin type might enjoy it.

on 12/12/2017 8:01:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have had this product for a while now and I absolutely love it. I know this foundation is extremely popular with makeup artists and I can see why. I have the shade C2 which is quite yellow but it warms my complexion up yet still matches. I am NC20 for reference so think the shade C1 would be an exact match. This foundation provides light and buildable coverage and actually looks better as the day goes on. It stays on and most importantly does not break me out whatsoever. I have normal skin which can be dehydrated and also a bit sensitive. I would say that this foundation is probably better suited to normal/dry skin as it is quite dewy. I apply powder in my t-zone when using this but my skin isn't oily. The finish it gives is like my skin but better. It basically is second skin in a bottle (for me anyway). I honestly cannot recommend this enough for those who are looking for light-medium coverage however I definitely think it is better suited for normal skin types as it can leave a bit of a shine.

on 12/8/2017 3:47:00 PM

After a long search for a foundation for dry skin I ended at this one. This foundation is perfect if you have a normal to dry skin without a lot of imperfections. Then it will create a beautiful coverage. When I first used it on my combo/dry skin I was of course not amazed by the coverage because there is very little of it. Because I find my MAC Studio Fix (in NC15) too sticky and heavy wearing, but do love its cover abilities, I thought I would mix them! And boy, now this was something I had been looking for in a foundation. I use the F&B in C1 and it matches perfectly with SF NC15. You get this beautiful, medium but buildable coverage without the heavy feel. I only use some under-eye concealer with that. When I apply my makeup, I use a LED mirror, and if you’re familiar with them you know you see every pore and line and even in that light this mixture looks amazing. When you’re done makeupping, just lightly pat some powder everywhere you want because it will still be a be dewy. I do have to say that this will not last very long, I’d say with me like 4-5 hours.

on 12/8/2017 1:17:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This foundation is great . It offers medium coverage, it's very light on the face and gives you a silk finish and glow. For me it works better during summer,but I use it on winter sometimes along with other foundations when I want fuller coverage.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I took a while to come to an opinion regarding this foundation. But, after going through three bottles and many seasons, I have never ever been let down by this. While, this is not my HG, I will ALWAYS have Face&Body on hand regardless of what other foundation I am using.

The PROS:
1. Very forgiving foundation: dry, flakey skin? No matter, this foundation will give even finish. Oily oily hot summer skin? Just powder this baby, and it will not melt off, not be greasy yet wont dehydrate you. Dry mature skin? This foundation will not emphasise fine lines/pores what so ever!
In my experience, even the most expensive foundations can have an occasional bad day. But, this humble baby always always has my back <3
2. Looks like SKIN! Legit. Just slightly more even, slightly better, realistic looking glow and still your own skin. This is important for me. In about 10 years time I won't have my youthful skin anymore, so I hate plastering it with full coverage gunk. Even the high end luxury foundations I have used don't look as skin-like in person as this one does.
I just use concealer where I need help, but using medium/full coverage all over does not look as fresh.
3. Lasts, doesn't make me greasy (and I have a VERY OILY T-ZONE), looks fresh for hours!
4. The plastic bottle is SO EASY to travel with - no more worrying that my glass bottle with break!
5. C6 is a really good match for my summer skin - but again because this is sheer coverage, even slightly off undertone/match is VERY FORGIVING. No more buying 2 foundations, mixing to get my shade - less waste of money.
6. ABSOLUTE VALUE FOR THE PRICE!

Cons:
None really. This is not HG because I am sheep and in search for something that makes me look like those instagram girls lol. Or, the real reason, I haven't given up searching for something that would give me higher coverage (for those special occasions) but still gives me the same finish this foundation (aka looks like skin).

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Love it! I use it everyday. Finishing is beautiful (might be too dewy for some people). My skin is red and oily. Though the coverage is light, yellow undertone does help to cover the redness. Since it's water base, my face is less oily than the day I'm using other fdt. I like to apply it with my hands, it's very bendable, however, it sticks to skin quickly, so you should apply it with quick hands. I would repurchase it!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

My go to everyday foundation. I have it in C3 and love how you can build it up from sheer to medium coverage. Just have to wait for the layers to dry a bit (I like to wear just one layer for everyday two if I’m going out or am on a date with my husband). After washing and moisturizing my face I use my fingers (washed hands only) in a tapping motion to apply this foundation for a natural look. I’m pregnant right now and my usual go to which is Nars sheer glow is making me break out so the Mac F&B is a lifesaver because I’ve already had it in my collection and I love it. It holds up pretty well even in hot California weather although I do take it on the go for the occasional touch up because I have combination skin and don’t have the patience to fuss with primers but I have the small bottle and it’s easy to just throw it in my bag no fuss no spills. I also like the plastic bottle because it’s sturdy and I’m clumsy and tend to drop stuff.

on 11/16/2017 1:33:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Beautiful foundation, and perfect if you want to look radiant and youthful. It has a very thin, watery consistency (is water-based), and gives a dewy finish (it's described as a satin finish). It is sheer (one of the sheerest i've tried; like a tinted moisturizer or BB/CC cream) and doesn't have good coverage unfortunately though, but it is buildable to light-medium coverage (definitely not full though). For reference, i have dry, mature (40s), sensitive skin, with a few obvious sun spots, some fine lines (but not a lot), and slight redness in areas. I do have to powder this (but just lower half of face/forehead/nose; i like to leave dewiness on the upper cheeks). Also, it's so weightless that I forget I even have it on, which I love because i've always hated the feeling of foundation on my face. I'm on retin-a and this will ever so slightly cling to dry skin patches (but nowhere near what other foundations have), but on the plus side, it doesn't make my pores look worse. I thought the "n" is supposed to be neutral, but it definitely leans warm on me. The only bad thing i would say is that right now i'm around NC15 and the two lightest colors (N1 and C1) are a bit too dark for me unfortunately. Plus, if it had just a bit more coverage, it would be holy grail for me, but as is it's still my favorite foundation.